Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tikimeculas Stuff

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 696 replies

T

Niiiiiice. Cool vise too. :)

S

Mumm some of this and some of that is Looking delicious!

tavatava anyone

[ Edited by: tikimecula 2010-05-14 16:05 ]

That scroll is way cool ..... good use of that piece of wood ..... I drew a pencil drawing of a scroll that I use on the covers of my trilogy -- seeing yours makes me want to try and carve one!! Very nice work!

K

Tavatava? Yes! Wow!!!

C

Fabulous!

S

Wow! Is this therapy for you? You are so good at this.

Speechless!

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

Here is my latest, I call it tavatava overdrive Sali. (Tavatava is what the zig zag motif on Fijian clubs and art is called) I kinda went overboard with the tavatava. There are some originals decorated this way, I think they were used more in ceremony and dance than battle.

Here goes...

This was a commission piece but the buyer decided not to take it due to financial reasons. So It will go into the marketplace for a few days, if it does not sell there it will go to ebay.

yeah......what tikimango said...........speechless.

Words can not convey what i thought when i saw these pics. amazing work...........just amazing skills.

W

On 2010-05-18 13:08, Creative Chimp wrote:
yeah......what tikimango said...........speechless.

Words can not convey what i thought when i saw these pics. amazing work...........just amazing skills.

Jaw is dirty from hitting the floor! Stunning piece of craftsmanship.

Chris

LORD HAVE MERCY!! Just thinking about the time involved in all the intricate detail is MIND BOGGLING!! Just how many hours do you estimate it took to complete that from start to finish, I really need to know! The paddles you've done in the past have blown away all of us and this piece is no different in it's ability to leave us in awe! Truly something we all would be willing to go into battle to have in our own collection!! Amazing workmanship bro!

G
GROG posted on Tue, May 18, 2010 3:42 PM

You are the master of detail!

P

some day your wife will come home and find you in a corner of your workshop, curled into a fetal position with a tiny chisel in your hand muttering . . .

just one more chip, just one more chip, just one more chip . . .

that's the day they cart you off to the loonie bin. you get a rubber chisel and a lump of clay.

Matt, Thanks man.
Zeta, Thanks.
BigT, Thanks man. That vise makes life a lot easier carving theses clubs.
Seeks, Thanks.
Capn Jack,Thanks.
Kahaka, Thanks. I forgot to contact you after I shipped that last club to you. Hope you got it and like it.
Clarita, Thank You.
Seeks, Therapy in my own twisted way.
Tikimango, Thanks.
Creative Chimp, Thanks.
Westadad, Thanks.
T bird, Thanks. I never really keep track of the time I spend on these? I have done quite a few of these Sali's. If I had to guess 20-25 hours maybe. I started this one about 2 weeks ago and just carve when I feel like it, some times I'll be down there 20-30 min sometimes 3-4 hours.
Grog, Thanks. Got a good one I'm finishing up next :)
Pdrake, Are you psychic? That happened last week. Only my wife found me in the corner, kicked me in the crotch handed me a Red Bull and said GET TO WORK. Weird.

J

Wow. That is a labor of love.

JP

T

Awesome, so precise, who ever commissioned this piece is going to think about why they didn't bought it later for a long time.

:o AMAZING Tavatava Sali, T-mec!!! :o Good lord the details, details, details... INSANE! :o

L

On 2010-05-12 15:50, tikimecula wrote:

Wow! Nice Emmert roto-vise!!! Your shop is always as clean? Not like mine, kingdom of dust and stuff lying around...
Finally it looks like your work: clear and precise. :wink: Your last club is fantastic and given the amount of work, the buyer is really lucky...

J.

SWEET! Unbelievable intricacy and detail. Just amazing! What did you make that from? Holds detail really well.

Wow, nice productions coming out of that pristine shop!!

B

Andy, you are one extremely patient man.
Hats off.

Bowie

H

OMG! (as the kids say these days -think it's my first time using that phrase, if that's what you call it) You are a mad man for doing that! The good kind of mad man though, as in the ultra talented way. Precision, beauty, everything is in that club!

S

Simply gorgeous!

Jp, Thank You.
Tahitiki, I told them I can always do another.
Jonsey, Thank You. I have not forgotten about you... It's coming!
Laojia, Thanks. I wish it was a real Emmert, Still looking for one of those.
Tikilizard, Thanks. It's Poplar.
Surfintiki, Thanks.
Bowana, Thanks.
Howland, Thanks Man.
Seeks, Thanks.

On to the next one.....

[ Edited by: tikimecula 2010-05-27 14:26 ]

M
mieko posted on Thu, May 27, 2010 3:48 PM

Wow, love the scroll, can't wait to see it done. Love the new workshop - I wish you could have re-designed mine! We miss you down here!

Here is another Marq Ceremonial Club I finished last night. It's 5' tall and 12" wide.

This one is going go live at Casa de Grog.

Enjoy

A

I have been admiring your work for quite a long while now but this last club is off the hook!!!! Even if I had the skill to do that it would take me 5 years to complete. Hats off to you sir!

A

I have been admiring your work for quite a long while now but this last club is off the hook!!!! Even if I had the skill to do that it would take me 5 years to complete. Hats off to you sir!

Beautiful work Tikimecula. You have really jumped to the front of the
class with this one. One of the finest things I've seen in these parts.

G
GROG posted on Fri, May 28, 2010 1:06 PM

AND IT'S ALL MINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :lol:

[ Edited by: GROG 2010-05-28 13:07 ]

G

GROG, you are one lucky man. Andy knows how much I admire his work. This one is brilliant. Absolutely beautiful. Fantastic work, Andy!

L

On 2010-05-28 13:06, GROG wrote:
AND IT'S ALL MINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :lol:

[ Edited by: GROG 2010-05-28 13:07 ]

It is not enough for a so beautiful piece!

J.

That is one beautiful Sali. It reminds me of the acient Tongan war clubs that have similar carved incising. They also had incised figures which encoded hidden meanings as allusions & metaphors to the owner & perhaps the carver. Oh & that Marq club is just too beautiful. I wish I was Grog right now. "Grog so lucky, me likey too!" Keep up the amazing work.

SWEEEEEEET! WOW doesn't even start to describe it. Nice job!

Funny one Jerome!!
That is sooooo sweet. It is completely YUMMY lookin'. Such a cool design.

andy, what a pleasure it's been watching your skills develop over the last few years. you are on fire, cuz! are you gonna make it back to socal for oasis this year?

B

Tmec, Incredible stuff as Usual, I haven't seen Anyone come close to your tight detail and beautiful stuff, How do you do it??
Of course with a Shop like this

I'm Sure Anyone could do the same stuff! NOT!
I Know it takes more than tools to do such great pieces but they DO Help a wee bit.
I'm Always Awed by your tool control and your precise cutting. Keep up the Fantastic stuff!

G
GROG posted on Mon, May 31, 2010 1:39 PM

On 2010-05-28 10:33, tikimecula wrote:
Here is another Marq Ceremonial Club I finished last night. It's 5' tall and 12" wide.

This one is going go live at Casa de Grog.

Enjoy

BUMP to show off the gorgeous piece that TMec did that GROG getting.

GROG is SO proud to be getting such an amazingly beautiful piece from such a talented and skilled carver. GROG going to have to dip into GROG' "rainy day" funds to get it, but it's MORE than worth it for such a great piece. GROG was pissed that GROG didn't get the previous ceremonial paddle that TMec had done when GROG had the chance, but now GROG glad GROG missed that one and this one came along. This has got to be one the most beautiful pieces Tikimecula has done. AND IT"S ALL GROG"S!!!!!!! :) :) :) :)

(Major GLOATING in effect!!)

H
harro posted on Mon, May 31, 2010 1:43 PM

damn you Grog!!! you one lucky boy!!!

can't stop staring at those details on the Marq... its mesmerizing!! amazing...

Mieko, Thanks.
Amate, Thanks.
Congatiki, Thank you.
Grog, It's all yours...... In July :)
GatorRob, Thanks.
Laojia, Thanks.
Coconuttzo, Thanks. That's what I was going for on the Sali.
Tikilizzard, Thanks.
Surfintiki, Thanks.
Kingstiedye, Thanks. Not gonna be there for Oasis, heading out in July to deliver Grog's club and have some fun.
Benzart, Thanks. Good tools do make a difference, but "practice makes perfect."
Grog, Thanks Again.
Harro, Thanks.

So I forgot to post this months ago for my 6 year old son. He started Cub Scouts this last year and when it was time for the Pinewood Derby, He brought home his car kit and asked me to help him make a Tiki Racer. So here it is...

Pretty good chops for a 6 year old :roll:

I had some time the last few days so I knocked out some cheap Tikimecula specials. Thinking of doing maybe 5-10 of these if people want them. They are going into the Marketplace and the price will be reasonable Less than $100 shipped.

These 2 are 11" round. Key hole in the back to hang on the wall.

Also working on an 8" version of these.

[ Edited by: tikimecula 2010-06-02 08:34 ]

Beautiful plate, Andy! Let's see the others. Are they different designs, or the same as this one?

That Pinewood Derby car rocks! Looks like a battering ram! Was that your son's concept? How'd it do in the race?

T

Great pinewood derby car. Clever idea. :)

S

Down right Gorgeous!

G

Waitadarnminute. Aren't the kids supposed to make their own car with help from dad? :D Between my son and daughter (for the girls, it's a "powderpuff" derby - very sexist, no?), I must have made 4 or 5 of these cars with them. Only one was a winner and none looked as cool as yours!

P

Wow, that is totally bad-ass!!!

4WDtiki, Thanks. He took 2nd in the race and 1st in design. :)
Big T, Thanks.
Seeks, Thanks.
GatorRob, Yeah... I just helped him a little... Honest. :blush:
pjc5150, Thanks.

Couple more Mark Rounds. These are about 7".

Got 1 more drying, will get a pic in the AM.

T

That detail is amazing, and really worth every penny

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 696 replies