Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tikimeculas Stuff

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 696 replies

H

You can be realy proud of your work. WOW! But what I talking about, look only on these pictures and note
how clean and chary Tikimecula cultivate his tools. He works with the same wariness on his art works.
Thanks for the picures!

P

Superb craftmanship.
The kind of stuff that you'd see in a very polished vintage tiki bar or in a museum.
Especially these recent pieces.

T-mec, what everyone else said. You patience is amazing. Lots of dedication to do detail work like that. And it shows. Beautiful gallery quality pieces.

I've got a ton of pictures and research on the Cook Islands staff gods... been wanting to carve some for my bar, but have to wait until vending season is over.

Hope they turn out half as good as yours. :wink:

Hey THANKS, Conga, Clysdalle, Kahaka, Haikai, Pablus & Lake!

Lake, I have a couple of really good color close-ups of a Staff God, I'll send them your way soon!

Here is the Maori Piece finished up, FINALLY!

Yep...The Force is strong in that one.

Wow...that is more than beautiful!!! The detail is amazing and love the dark stain. :)

B

Verry Nice. I bet you were Glad to see this guy done. The only problem with doing these guys so large is that those lines full of notches keep going on and on and on and o n .
Excellent work in this guy, Very disciplined work

bump.

Where you at Tmecula? Ive been waiting to see a certain mask.. :wink: Hope all is ok.

Tama

B

Hey Tmec,

You ok man? I don't see where the exact fires are , but I hear on the news that something is happening up your way. Check in if you can.

S

Tamapoutini, WOW that is some amazing carving going down.
I hope what Im thinking and others is not going on.

On 2007-10-24 10:32, Babalu wrote:
Hey Tmec,

You ok man? I don't see where the exact fires are , but I hear on the news that something is happening up your way. Check in if you can.

Still here, Fires never really got close to me. Just been busy with life-n-stuff. Hope to make it down to the Bali this friday for the show.

Andy... missed ya last Friday! It was a good time. I got a good deal of surfing in between Wednesday and Sunday and a little tan to boot. Now with a home base in Newport I hope to be out in SoCal more often. Friggen cold here at home now... snow showers in the forecast.

H
Heath posted on Sun, Mar 30, 2008 3:37 PM

Anything new?

One of these guys.

Yu-Yu da man!

B

WOW !

B

YES, Another Masterpiece in the Works, I'm Really glad you showed back up again and Especially with such Goodness.

S

Looking good. Now if only the pic's in the earlier posts
would show up! I'm sure they are as spectacular as the last.

Thanks guys. A little more done.

I see how it goes... you're gone for a while and then BAM!

Raising that bar up a few more notches.

Awesome work Andy.

T

This is going to be a great one... wow

T

NICE. :)

S

I think we are going to be in for treat.
LOOKING GOOD>

A little more done...

C

Wonderful work, this is gonna be a pleasure to watch. I bet it
will be real fancy.

Aloha tikimecula! I have to apoligize for not seeing your posts in the past. I have been missing some most Excellent art.I am amazed with the incredable detail that you work out,Mahalo for sharin won't miss any in the future,Aloha Mooney

Conga & Mooney Thanks! Here it is a little further along....

S

Looking GREAT! me like!

M
mieko posted on Mon, Apr 7, 2008 10:15 PM

Wow! So much going on there, seems like even more than usual, and that's a lot! Are you going to make it to another chop someday?? :)

DAMN, Andy! You make me wanna get moving on some clubs again! Nice work!

excellent work Andy!

That is one unbelievable piece, my friend~

B

EXCELLENT.

Benjamin

H
harro posted on Tue, Apr 8, 2008 9:22 AM

you really stepped up the notch on this one! AMAZING.

how many faces are going on there??

T

Wowy wow! Great job!

T

This is wonderful piece man, amazing!!!

Wow!! *I'd seen your name hovering at the top of the list for a few days and can now see what all the fuss was/is about! That is fantastic; very ambitious! I bet it comes to life once stained!

Bravo!

Tama :)

Lake, Good talking shop with you the other day.

Tahitiki, ThebigT, Seeksurf, Conga, Mooney, Freddie, Benella, Harro, Thanks So much.

Bk, Get moving on some clubs please.... I'll give you a call this week.

Davez, Where you been man?

Mieko, The chops are on the worst weekends for me. Maybe this next one?

Tama Thanks, I still haven't forgot about that one thing we talked about, it's coming.

OK. Here it is finished up! This is a Marquesan ceremonial war club. To be honest i was not sure what this was for until doing a search the other day i found another on google by accident. I saw a few of these last year at the Mai Kai, while at Hukilau. I snapped a few pics of each of them, and this is my version.

Now I need to finish up that Austral Islands Paddle, and start something else i was peeping at the Mai Kai.

H
harro posted on Tue, Apr 8, 2008 8:25 PM

yep, she's a beauty alright!!

So much detail. So much precision. So much patience! Congratulations my friend.

Its a pity most of your earlier pics have gone missing, we cant enjoy your older work while waiting for the other pieces you have going.

Hot damn Andy, someone lit a fire under you.

That a beauty. Hang that one on your wall.

Absolutely top notch chipping there my friend.

I've got my marq piece drawn out... I needed a day to recover from the canoes and get the studio in order. Down to business Wednesday.

As always, good to shoot the breeze with ya on the tele, we'll raise a drink to ya on the beach in Lauderdale. :drink:

Thanks Harro, I'll see what i can do about the Pics?

Lake, Thanks. Man i wish I could make Hukilau this year, but the kids have to come first. Take lots of pics for me.

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Apr 9, 2008 4:29 PM

Beautiful work. I think I like this more than the traditional U'u, cause it's got a lot more tiki action happening. I had never seen this version until you posted your first progress shots, but then someone posted some scans from a vintage Poly-pop supply catalogue a few days later that had this exact design in it. I'll post the link when I can figure out where the hell I saw it!

I can't wait for the Austral Island piece - I don't recall ever seeing anything attempted in that style on TC? The paddles I've seen here in NZ are some of the most amazing artifacts I have ever laid eyes on.

Once you knock that off, you should try a Mangaian piece (which is very closely related stylistically) if you're looking for a new challenge:

Side-by-side comparison of Mangaian & Austral pieces:

K
KAHAKA posted on Wed, Apr 9, 2008 8:51 PM

OW! That's so perty, it hurts! NICE work, TM!

Aloha Tikimecula!
That is another one of your Excellent carvings!!! Love the detail, Aloha, Mooney

I noticed it's "Share you Workspace" month. So here's mine.....

I built this about 2 years ago just to have a space to carve.....Actually my wife was getting pissed about all the saw dust in the garage :)

Come on in.

Standing outside looking in.

Here is my ever growing chisel collection, and my work bench with the unfinished Austral islands Paddle.

and more of the same.

The wall of crap....er i mean storage.

Bandsaw, table saw, Planer , Joiner, Sander, Extra thatch, Foredom, Wood stash, Chainsaws, Yard tools.

This next pic is of all my templates, any time try to do a new piece i try and make a template. I make them out of poster board, that way when i want to make another club/whatever of the same shape it saves me time.

This is my favorite toy. It's a Tormek sharpening system. http://www.tormek.com

That's it. now let's see yours.

G
GROG posted on Fri, Apr 11, 2008 6:56 PM

Dude, you are a machine.
GROG want the ceremonial Marquesan war club.

Incredible. A thing of beauty.

S

What a gem she came out most beautiful.

Man all these tropical setting some of you guy live in.
And I'm stuck in the cold rain.

B

Tmec. Yours is an Awesome work space. Seems that your tool collection is growing by leaps and bounds. I'm Envious. Beautiful. Actually I owe you a lono I believe from a piece of Koa you gave me for that purpose.
Cheers,
Benz

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 696 replies