Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

carvings by Ken Pleasant

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 382 replies

T

On 2007-03-12 21:35, keigs20 wrote:

Nice work Keigs! I missed it - what kind of wood is it? (I'm just cathing up!)

[ Edited by: tikigap 2007-05-05 22:04 ]

K

thanks sneakyjack and tikigap the Lono is made of cedar and the masks and spears are based on a Witco design called the "Directors" I believe they are at the entrance of the Hala Kahiki in CHi town. Here are some better pics of the Lono
finished. My kids call him Beater head because they think the headdress looks like an egg beater

[ Edited by: keigs20 2007-05-06 10:54 ]

G
GROG posted on Sun, May 6, 2007 10:58 AM

That looks AWESOME, dude. GROG like.

B

Ken, Your Lono is Really Top Shelf, I Love the chainsaw detail, you make it fit so perfectly. . Yeah, what Grog said!

Your carvings are just beautiful. I was wondering how much it would cost to have you carve a lono just like the one Grog is getting. Could I get it by Mothers Day? Would you consider a trade? xxxooo

K

I got a new camera so I thought I would post a picture of the swag lamp I just finished. I have carved one before like it so it is not really a new carving.

M

Very cool lamp Keigs! Very Witco-like.

Mahalo

McTiki

B

Woah, Excellent Lamp, Excellent Pictures and Excellent Camera.

K

here is some Witco style war paddle's I carved, its been a while since I posted. These are 4 ft tall.

[ Edited by: keigs20 2007-10-13 16:18 ]

The master! True in every detail.. Tell me more about the carving in the center, Ken..it's prettier.

G
GROG posted on Sat, Oct 13, 2007 5:19 PM

Wow! Those are gorgeous. You 've got that Witco style down pat. You must have a copy of this book.

First book on chainsaw carving Fun and Profitable Chainsaw Carving by William Westenhaver and Ron Hovde, Published January 1, 1978 by Westho Publishing Company, Mt. Vernon, Washington

[ Edited by: GROG 2007-10-13 17:35 ]

WOW, that grain works perfectly. It's almost art, within art!

B

Ken, I am Surely Liking seeing your Awesome stuff more recently here on TC. We have Mised you Brotha. come on and Stay awhil!!

K

Thanks BK as for the carving in the middle I cant take credit for that luckily or I would not have been able to marry her.... (in most states)
Grog bueno, I have had that book for about 9 years and it still took me 4 years to even come close to the Witco wood grain.
Surfintiki thanks it cool to see how the grain unfolds in a piece.
Benz your compliments are always appreciated. The truth is I worked out of town all summer so I did not have a lot of free time. I am still working 50 hours a week but at least I am home and have time to carve at night and on the weekends. I hope to be around more often.

Screw the carvings........

Heather is looking rather Dashing!

Miss you guys!

Good times!

rock on!

Beautiful work Ken! A wonderful combination of grain, color and cuts!

I know I speak for everyone, but my eyes just BUG out when I see a new post from Keigs.
Always look forward to these. More pleeze!

As I was cleaning the mugs and mug shelf today, I thought of the young, super talented carver but forgot his name!(sorry Ken). I wonder if this guy has a website yet.....he should with the pics I have been seeing...AMAZING!!.

K

Revbamboo Heather thinks your just being nice, but I agree with you.
Lake surfer thanks man your home bar turned out perfect!!
Conga mahalo, here is a few more pictures. These are based on a set of early Witco masks. They measure 12x20
twowheelin thanks I posted on your other post about the website.

[ Edited by: keigs20 2007-11-30 14:54 ]

S

Sweet witco masks if you are selling them its as a set i
hope because they complement each other nicely.

I'm diggin that lono i saw also.

What area is your beach house if thats ok i ask?
I have some property just south of westport thats where all my
wood supply comes from.

K

Thanks seeksurf, I am selling them as a set. I thought about splitting them up but like you say they do go well together.
The cabin is my granfatherinlaw's and is on Guemes island.
I have been to Westport but it's been a long time.

K

my first Tangaroa style tiki I carved with the help of Bk's Tangaroa post a Mai Kai decanter and some Polynesian art books. All that help and I still forgot to save room for ears.

pleasanttiki.com

[ Edited by: keigs20 2012-08-02 21:24 ]

B

Really Nice tang there Ken, I really like the inlays too.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jan 2, 2008 6:59 PM

Gorgeous work all round, great set of masks, and the frame and the 3D guy are sweet too :D

C

Very nice Keigs, but that's what we expect from you, VERY NICE.
The Tang is a beauty, and the Moai frame is very cool as well.
Funny, I looked at the framed gift a few days ago and didn't
notice the Moais. Probably just me.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Jan 2, 2008 7:21 PM

Nice penis.

A great way to kick off the new year Ken... some beauty new stuff from you! Love the Tang!

S

Nice carve keigs I love it!
Only one problem it left me feeling inadequate.
I'm looking into male enhancements for myself now.

K

Benz your comments are always much appreciated.
Hewey many thanks
Conga thanks, I think the first picture my wife posted of the painting I had not carved the frame yet.
Grog thanks, the penis was the hardest part to carve, (no pun intended) being naked looking in a mirror while swinging a chainsaw around in freezing weather and all :)
Lake mahalo
seeksurf, lol... pay no attention to the above comment, at first it hung to the bottom of his feet I thought that was a little much so I lopped a few inches off. It still kind of jumps out at you though.

D

i posted my Keigs in the What i got for christmas thread.
but here it is again..

i gave the blue one to Dawn, hopefully she posts a picture too.

MR

The Tangaroa style tiki is very nice. Good solid look to it. Ears are overated anyways. Your work is great...consider me a fan.
Cheers.

B

Keigs, I love the tang. I am trying one for the first time myself. I only hope that mine will come out that good. Your work always inspires.

Dan

I love the tang! what's great about it, is that the "flaws" you see are not seen by others. I see a great interpataion of a tang in the kiegs style! awesome! I like your "simple" moai frame, as well - it matches the painting really well. You have quite an artistic eye.

Just out of curiousity...were these done with chainsaw as well?

H

OUTTASIGHT, Ken! That Moai frame is beautiful--simplicity rules. It's a great enhancement to Dawns painting. They work well together. Love the tang too--what do tiki's need ears for anyway :)

Ken, That moai frame is beautifully carved and really adds a whole other dimension to the piece. It's more like a collaboration now. You and Dawn should team up and release some official work together. The tang is also awesome and packin'!

[ Edited by: TIKI KAIMUKI 2008-01-08 20:30 ]

Way cool Moai frame!!!

COOOOLLLL!!!! I'm so digging the frame you made for my painting. I want frames like hat on all of my paintings. Now that the surprise has been successfully executed, I wanted to let you know that the other painting that you had you eye on is the match to the one you got. Its yours if you want it. we can negotiate later! Dawn

K

Many thanks Matt
Thanks Bali Dan if you have a Mai Kai Tangaroa decanter its good to look at to get an idea of how to carve the basic design.
Polynesiac the Tangaroa was done all by chainsaw and grinder with a sanding disk except the smallest circle in the eye I used a router and a dremel for that.
The frame was done with a router and grinder with sanding disk cause it was to late and dark to use the chainsaw thanks for the compliments.
Howland mahalo
Rev boo Ben :)
Tiki Kaimuki thank you the painting is By Dawn Frasier I just did the frame. Heather has been doing a lot of painting also though we are trying to do more stuff together. She painted the backgrounds on Elicia's and Sophista tiki's wall plaques.
Thanks Sneakytiki
:) thanks Sophista I will be sending you a pm.
again thanks for all the compliments and replies

Aloha Ken!!!
Sweet carvings my friend!!! I love the tang, thanks for sharing, Aloha your friend , Mooney

Top-quality stuff, brah..You can always bank on that. You and Heather need to start a 21st-century manifestation of Witco as a company again!

G
GROG posted on Mon, Jan 14, 2008 10:44 AM

Kiegsco.

Pleasant Tiki ?

K

Thanks Mooney, bk, grog and Bambooz Ben. Ok so the website is up http://www.pleasanttiki.com . After a few years of Humu having it 99% finished. I finally added some stuff and Humu uploaded it. I hope to keep working on it to make it better. I am not sure if it all works so if you email me at [email protected] and I dont respond it must not be working. I do not have a lot for sale but hope to add more soon!! Join the mailing list if it works and as I add items you will get an email.
my cool BamBooBen Sign the reason the site is called Pleasanttiki not pleasanttikis thanks booBen its better that way :)

[ Edited by: keigs20 2008-01-16 18:02 ]

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-01-16 19:00 ]

K

hey Tipsy McStagger where did your post go? you made some good points and it was gone before I could reply. Go ahead and post what you think it wont hurt my feelers. Like I say it is a work in progress so any ideas or criticism are all good :) So re post it please.....
I remember part of it was about having to look at all the sold items to find the ones for sale. The reason that is is because I don't have a gallery page I am trying to figure out how to put one on so it does not have a price or sold sign on it and people don't get annoyed with the sold signs. Humu made all the pages easy for me to add pics and info but I don't really know how to change the layout of the pages yet.

[ Edited by: keigs20 2008-01-16 19:25 ]

K

Its been a while so I thought I would add a picture of the bookshelf I carved for our home. Not really tiki but it matches our Witco furniture.

carved this rock also, it is my first rock carving so it is pretty basic.

Rock on!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 382 replies