Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

1960s Tiki Erotica (WARNING: NUDITY)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 928 replies

S

Wow! That's a nice piece of Tapa cloth! I wonder, is that post in the foreground carved, or are beads dangling from it?
:lol:

CA

Here's to all the Mammaries that are in our lives and that those that may only be in our memories.

the givers of life that we adore....... THANK YOU! WE LOVE YOU!! (even though this piece is about motherhood.. i posted it, hoping it's not to creepy... but you might be married to [or not] a great set of hooters that helped bring some rug rats into the world)

if you have missed it... here a super cool event that will be at Oasis 10 all about the boobs
raising awareness for breast cancer....... a lighter light on a serious subject.....
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=35879&forum=18&start=0

[ Edited by: crazy al 2010-05-09 12:05 ]

I jus wanna take this moment to thank Grandfather Sky for creating woman. Thank you!

KSC

Obsessed with this guys work right now:

Sir Knight 1959 Annual
High resolution images here
http://www.martiantiki.com/sirknight1959/

Z
Zeta posted on Tue, May 18, 2010 11:52 PM

Susy or Suzie Wong? The one from the book has a "uzie" the one in the picture an "usy"
I believe there's some word play/pun in the name, but I don't get it, please explain.

The World of Suzie Wong
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to:navigation, search
Question book-new.svg
This article needs additional citations for verification.
Please help improve this article by adding reliable references. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (January 2009)
The World of Suzie Wong
Suziewongbook1stedition.jpg
Author Richard Mason
Country United Kingdom
Language English
Genre(s) Novel
Publisher Collins
Publication date 1957
Media type Print (Hardback & Paperback)
Pages 383 pp
ISBN N/A
This article is about the novel. For the film adaptation, see The World of Suzie Wong (film).

The World of Suzie Wong is a 1957 novel written by Richard Mason, which has been adapted into a play, a hit film, and a ballet.
Contents
[hide]

• 1 Plot introduction
  • 2 Film, TV and theatrical adaptations
  • 3 Sequels
  • 4 Locations from the book
  • 5 See also
  • 6 External links

[edit] Plot introduction

The book is about a young Englishman, Robert Lomax, who has just decided to pursue a new career as an artist. He visits Hong Kong in search of inspiration for his paintings where he checks into the Nam Kok Hotel, not realizing, at first, that it is an unofficial brothel catering mainly to British and American sailors. However, the discovery of that fact only makes the hotel more charming in Lomax's opinion and a better source of subject matter for his paintings. He quickly befriends most of the hotel's bargirls but is most fascinated by the archetypal "hooker with a heart of gold", Suzie Wong, who had previously introduced herself to him as Wong Mee-ling, a rich virgin whose father had five houses and more cars than she could count, and initially pretended not to recognize him at the hotel. Lomax had originally decided that he would not sleep with any of the bargirls at the hotel because he would be living with them for a long time and did not want to put a strain on their relationships. However, it soon emerges that Suzie Wong is interested in him, not as a customer but as a serious boyfriend. Although Suzie Wong becomes the kept woman of two other men and Robert Lomax becomes attracted to a young female British nurse, Lomax and Wong are eventually reunited and the novel ends happily.

Translation needed.

Exotic Adventures
Volume 1 Number 5 1959

Featuring Pictorial - Tahitian Love Dance
Bachelor Pad Fiction - Island of Exiled Women (or on the cover Island of Love Starved Women)

And surprisingly Miss Berlin 1959 was considered exotic back then - possibly of interest to any ethnic germans here.

High Resolution images
http://www.martiantiki.com/exoticadventures1959/

SPRANGER-WAIKIKI HAWAII BOUND LP
ORIGINAL AUSTRALIAN IA LABEL PRESS: 1A10-174

from a current auction listing

The Royal Polynesians Featuring Carles Mauu
EP: Polynesia !
(Japan King Capitol CEB-88) Early 60's
Japanese King Records EP.

Guitare Hawaïenne
Harry Hougas et son ensemble
Label : DISQUES DOM - 70s
A Side : blue - bonnet - rag / marinella / jambalaya / brazil / le chant du gardian / le petit train
B side : volga, volga, soulico / la paloma / les yeux noirs / sleep walk / o sole mio / beer barel polka

Artist: THE ISLANDERS & THE WAIKIKI 12
Title: HAWAIIAN PARADISE
YEAR: 1970
Company: BOULEVARD
Number: 4003

[ Edited by: martian-tiki 2010-06-03 23:05 ]

From the thread Origin of early Trader Vic's logo Tiki found!
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=24081&forum=1&vpost=306241&hilite=pad

On 2007-05-14 11:23, bigbrotiki wrote:

On 2007-05-13 22:05, SoccerTiki wrote:
Would that book be "Arts of the South Seas", 1946 Museum of Modern Art, New York???

I am confused about this question. Are you saying it IS in that book? If so, I can't find it in there...
I thought it would be clear that "Arts of The South Seas" would be the first book where I would look, as well as "Oceanic Art" (1954), and I would have found it in their pages. These two books were used quite a bit by 50s/60s Tiki temple designers and Tiki carvers, because they were among the earliest out there when the trend took off. But by the end of the 50s/early 60s there were many more Oceanic/primitive art books available, just look at this:

...No!, not THIS, but THAT :roll: :

In this impressive book shelf we find the titles "Oceanic Sculpture","Art of the South Pacific Islands","Folk Art of Oceania","Native art of the Pacific something","The Arts of The South Pacific", and lots more Primitive Art books. I don't even have half of these. Nor do I have that lamp...
Is there anything else? Oh yeah, the above photo also proves that research CAN be fun, and that if you were a primitive/modern art coinoisseur in the 60s, you had nekkid chicks hanging out around your pad.

BUT back to the Logo Tiki at hand: He made his first appearance as early as 1955, (that is the copyright on the Traders Beverly Hills menu), when most of these books weren't around yet. So the fact that he is NOT in the two first mentioned, early Oceanic Art books makes it very likely that he was either
A) in an early 50s DeYoung Museum catalog,
B) in an SF newspaper Magazine article about the museum or the Oceanic Art trend, or
C) even owned (and later bestowed to the museum) by the Trader himself.

If a local TCer would go to the De Young museum library/archive, and search and ask them for the history of that Tiki and any pre '55 catalogs/publications, we might find out more.

After I realized there was more in that picture besides the books I noticed other things in the photo.
For example it appears that that is a gazelle or antelope hide on the floor.

Note the similarity to the gazelle hides I used in that science fiction movie I was involved with.

I wonder is there any information to go with the photo?

Since there likely isn't - I'll contribute a theory on
this oceanic books mystery.

I'd guess the woman whose legs are blocking the view of some of the books is
Maria McNeal. Though obviously she may just be very similar to Maria McNeal?
This is the sort of thing scientific debate will help solve.

From an auction specifically stating the name.

And I suspect this is her also
from Modern Man Deluxe Quarterly - Winter 1973
which is the sort of publication I'd guess the Oceanic Art books images originally appeared.

[ Edited by: martian-tiki 2010-06-04 22:09 ]

Firstly this is an example of something from the wrong decade for this thread.

Secondly this is an example of a POOR editorial decision.
See text accompanying photos.

Thirdly Blond Hula girls must have some sort of evolutionary advantage because they are photographed more often than bigfoot - or migrate to sunny locations from their frozen northern homelands - it doesn't make biological sense at all.

This is a photo from the UNPUBLISHED Play-mate year 2000 calendar. (model Laura Cover)
Note this one has a tiki in the background..pay attention!

And this is from the published one. Where's the colorful tiki?
Even the green mug is more obscured in this one.

Original files and the nontiki material conveniently
uploaded here http://www.martiantiki.com/pm2000call/

PS this was found on some obscure hungarian message board
(warning - this is adult)
http://sztar.com/kulfoldi-hiressegek-talalt-kepek/70854-hivatalos-playboy-topik-633.html

[ Edited by: martian-tiki 2012-06-02 20:18 ]

Escapade February 1957 Volume 11 Number 5

Article profiling the drinks at The Luau in Beverly Hills operated by Steve Crane. The cover model is Nicki Gibson.

High resolution scans at
http://www.martiantiki.com/escapade-feb1957/

B
BigToe posted on Mon, Jun 7, 2010 8:38 AM

the single greatest post in TC history! thanks Sabu...i feel infinitely more informed about all things tiki. there is def a painting or 2 there!! :D

Mahalo!

Mr. Toe

To the memories of my Father Playboy Collection, and I think he knew I was reading them. They bring out the 13 year old in me._______________
Keep the Faith

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2010-06-13 23:11 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2010-06-13 23:14 ]

Regretably the girl with the lucky tiki appears to be an early silicone INJECTION adopter.

Modern Man
October 1966 Volume 16 Number 4
Model Julie Paradise (or Judy Paradise in the article text! probably someone's handwriting wasn't legible in the printing office)

Higher resolution scans at
http://www.martiantiki.com/modernmanoct1966/

On 2010-02-15 23:56, christiki295 wrote:
Red for Valentine's day!

Is this the same model?

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.