Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki on TV....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 167 replies

Was watching Park & Recreation tonight also
so here is the "Ron Swanson" Tiki Mask that is in his office...

On Bewitched, in the very first show, in Darren's office, a Tangaroa shows up, not to mention that dress.

Shaka! - Tiki Beeki

[ Edited by: Holler Waller 2013-05-24 21:04 ]

Wow...that whole room is great...and that dress is some wildness...may have to catch that show!!!

S

On 2012-10-18 16:32, tikilongbeach wrote:

On 2011-11-27 05:43, swizzle wrote:
Just watched Dexter season 6, episode 5, and at 42:33 Dexters sister is looking at an apartment to rent and in the background you can see a yellow sign with blue writing that says Tiki Bar.

I live a block away from the Dexter and Rita house. It's in an area of Long Beach, CA called Bluff Park. One day my girlfriend saw John Lithgow quickly walking around the block which she thought was cool. Lots of 'Dexter' is filmed in Long Beach. 'CSI Miami' did quite a bit of filming here too.

Dexter does some filming at Alfredo's Kayak Kafe and it has tiki's sitting on the sand. I'll try to take some pics this weekend.

they shot an episode of dexter a block from my house one day. i live in hollywood. i know they do some interiors @ the gower studios, but that's about it. debra (dexter's sister on the show) is as skinny as a rail.

On 2013-05-24 21:03, Holler Waller wrote:
On Bewitched, in the very first show, in Darren's office, a Tangaroa shows up, not to mention that dress.

This might be an homage to the original film that inspired the "Bewitched" TV series, "Bell, Book & Candle":

Another great movie Sven, plenty of primitive art in the gallery scenes also.

This is from a Taco Bell commercial for Beefy Crunchy Burrito with Flamin Hot Fritos.
The picture was taken of my TV because I couldn't find a video on the net. The scene flashes quickly and it took me a long time to get it to pause at just the right moment. Very random placement of a tiki. I wonder what the subliminal message is supposed to be.

Darilyn

H
Heath posted on Sun, Jun 23, 2013 9:22 AM

The latest DIRECTV commercial,

Video can be found here.

[ Edited by: Heath 2013-06-23 09:24 ]

It's not technically a tiki or on tv....
But some folks that watch tv may recall a show called Star Trek the Next Generation.
John De Lancie (Q) talks to Patrick Stewart (Picard) about his desire to sail to the south seas at a convention.
(There's about a minute of context the way I linked it before the south seas part)

Ohio Comic Con 2012 - Patrick Stewart and John de Lancie Q&A
http://youtu.be/GvTaD9Dg7ic?t=22m17s

Tonights episode of Comedy Bang Bang! went Tiki & a bit parrot head too!

I don't remember seeing this one mentioned - I recently saw an episode of Rhoda where she & the gang visited a Polynesian bar/restaurant, complete with Tikis in the background. No name was given; a super quick exterior shot just showed a pitched roof with a big neon "cocktails" sign & burning torches.

Sorry for the lousy photo quality.

Currently, MeTV is showing the second "I Dream of Jeannie" Hawaii episode, in which Jeannie has blinked King Kamehameha back to life. Lots of Waikiki shots in these.

Route 66 Season 3
Episode called Ever Ride the Waves in Oklahoma? (1962)
Episode filmed Huntington Beach, CA
Buzz and Todd stop at a bar called the Beach Pad with some interesting art on the wall.

Here is Huntington Beach in 1962 with Route 66 on Pacific Coast Highway.

What I mean is Route 66 (the TV show) on PCH (the road).
Come to think of it Route 66 (the TV show) wasn't on Route 66 (the road) a whole lot.

M

On 2009-11-16 19:13, Big Kahuna wrote:
Watching The Rockford Files right now. Jim & his dad were eating in a restaurant with tapa on the walls & drinking out of hollowed out pineapples. On their way out, there was a big glass float hanging over the door & a good sized Tiki in front of the building.

I think I just saw the same episode- the sign outside says something like "The Lobster Kettle". Episode is called "Coulter City Wildcat" and the scene is during the earlier part of this episode.

O
Otto posted on Fri, Sep 23, 2016 4:46 PM

Saw an old rerun of "That 70s Show" with a Tiki themed section of a themed food court. most of the Tikis are painted on the wall but there are two large OA masks off to the right

and here is the name of the episode

H

Saw this recently courtesy of Netflix.

The Dick Van Dyke Show Season 4, Episode 5

"The Man from Emperor"

Story: Rob is offered a job at a gentlemen's magazine from his college friend, Drew Patton.

Rob meets Drew's masseuse.

Coffee being served by a "Slave-girl".

Rob's friend Drew Patton.

Tonight (03-09-2017) on "Life in Pieces", dad (James Brolin) is attempting to build a tiki bar in now grown up son's room. Although we don't see a finished tiki room (hopefully in a future episode) we do see a tiki image being dropped and damaged due to the adult sons fighting. Thankfully no trope of tiki bad luck. When dad sees the tiki in 2 pieces (get it) Brolin says: "Now you angered the tiki gods. This year's banana crop is going to SUCK!"

In an earlier episode there is a scene where son (Colin Hanks) and wife (Zoe Lister-Jones) are on their honeymoon in Tahiti.

[ Edited by: creativenative 2017-03-10 00:49 ]

[ Edited by: creativenative 2017-03-10 00:51 ]

[ Edited by: creativenative 2017-03-10 00:55 ]

GT

Has anyone mentioned "Wheel of Fortune" island themed backdrop Tikis always get my attention.

King Bushwich, nice shot of George Maharis on Route 66... We just got a letter from him last week...

New KFC commercial shot in a chicken themed tiki bar...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJET1-zKVr8

On 2017-03-19 18:55, mike and marie wrote:

This is an ad from last year already mentioned here:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=28706&forum=1&vpost=768768

On 2017-03-20 12:24, tikigreg wrote:

On 2017-03-19 18:55, mike and marie wrote:

This is an ad from last year already mentioned here:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=28706&forum=1&vpost=768768

lol thanks tikigreg for pointing that out -- shows you how behind we are our our "stuff to post to Tiki Central"!

Seems like so many 'recent' convos are actually quite old... We've heard of 'Adjust your watch to island time' but here it's becoming 'Adjust your watch to Tiki Central time'...

Not sure if any of you are familiar with the show "Face Off" but it's a fantastic show of incredibly talented prosthetic makeup artists who create original characters according to that episode's theme. This upcoming week (Tuesday night) is tiki themed and the in-progress pic has me SO jazzed:

"The final five must create a representation of a Hawaiian god or goddess" - BRING IT!!

http://www.syfy.com/faceoff

Looking for tiki (and Witco) on Cannon lately.

Not much on the first two seasons, but something interesting on season three (autumn/winter 1973). Two episodes featured a restaurant that was very obviously a Tiki palace at one point, probably in the 60s, but was already undergoing Tiki Devolution as it was captured for the episodes.

Looks like pretty much standard mid-late century modern restaurant fare: big salad with whole tomatoes and ham slices, basket of bread wrapped with cloth napkin, steak plate ... but look at the bamboo in the background and the lauhala matting walls!

Various shots of the interior show interesting lamps, raincape matting, and what looks like an actual tiki back on the wall!

Then there is ... something over there that looks 'tiki'. CBS did a lousy job with the Cannon DVD set, this looks like 16mm prints made from copies from copies of syndication prints, so this was the sharpest we could get. In this sharpened frame it looks more like a statue of a woman...

One of the two episodes that features this location takes us into the back office, where there's clearly lauhala matting all up on the ceiling ... and in a true Tiki Devolution state, it's also already halfway torn off!

They showed a brief clip of the front of the place and the sign at one point:

Moorpark Inn, eh? Time to fire up the Google!

Our crack research uncovered that this was "The Beautiful and Romantic MOORPARK INN," in operation in 1973 in Sherman Oaks at 13321 Moorpark St. They had singles dances then and were pushing the "banquet room" as a selling point.

Digging deeper we found it was originally one of the old Casa Escobars. From gossip columnist Paul V. Coates' "Confidential File" in the LA Times, May 2 1959:

"Dear Paul:

"You are cordially invited to a 'Fiesta de Periodistas' (Press Party en ingles) to be held Tuesday, May 5, from 5:30 p.m. to ???? at the exotic new Caso Escobar, 13321 Moorpark in Sherman Oaks.

May 2, 1959, JFK
"This new Mexican restaurant is simply fabulous! You'll think you're in a tropical Aztec cave somewhere south of Acapulco!

"The gurgling water fountains, the bar, the jutting volcanic rock, the tropical Mexican raincoats, the fantastic pink and blue lights, the Bull Room with its painting of Lady Godiva (a female nude)..."

(signed) Vance Graham, 13321 Moorpark St., Sherman Oaks"

Sounds pretty amazing! This was the inchoate 'Aztec' fad in restaurants from the time, which although somewhat popular certainly got overshadowed by Tiki!

And turns out it was mentioned here on TC before: Tiki Shaker pointed out on here in 2009 that it had the 'Aztec Dining Room.' He also posted a couple cool shots on there that shows the lights and some fountains up close.

Now it all makes sense. That wasn't a tiki up above, but an Aztec mask. And in this image below, Cannon's chasing a guy out a back service door, and here by the fountain and the strange hootchie lamp there's a lot of weird stuff on the walls: and pretty obviously old Aztec stuff from the Casa Escobar that's been painted over!

So ... no tiki after all, but a place mentioned in a 2009 thread on Tiki Central. And in
Tiki Shaker's postcard pics you can see raincape matting; did they also have bamboo? If not, then maybe this location was a half-baked tiki joint for a very short time ...

And for the final update: the building's been torn down, now it's a stripmall with a 7-11 (some cosmic joke left for us time travelers), but some of the trees can still be seen in the background ... and behind it are the tall thin palms that are common at urban archeological sites of former Tiki palaces!

[ Edited by: mike and marie 2017-07-03 19:13 ]

T

5fdG0AAdQH6a2Aj7nRMrjg

I was watching the Paper Girls series on Amazon and this tiki popped up... anyone recognize it?

[ Edited by tikicoma on 2022-08-02 13:45:04 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 167 replies