Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki on TV....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 167 replies

Hey everyone...I was looking through the forums here when I heard tiki type music on my tv..I turned to look and there was a commercial for secret body spray on...the commercial had 3 colorful retro type tiki's on it...its not a real big deal but I was happy to see some tiki style commercials on tv these days...

Last week I saw some Tikis on Sesame Street accompanied by some exotica-esque (more in the way of Afro-Cuban) music. Featured were an authentic looking Marquesan or Tahitian Tiki and a more pop-cultural looking Moai. I wouldn't be surprised if the artist who created the Moai was one of our own... ahem,... please come forth!

Having 4 kids means I get to watch a lot of kids TV. Right now I'm watching the new episode of Backyardigans and it's all about surfing and tiki! The main charecter, Pablo, is driving around in his dune buggy trying to find Tiki Beach so he can ride the perfect wave. But nobody will tell him where it is because he doesn't have enough "rad" moves. Pablo is also wearing a very cool Moi pendant around his neck. Other charecters sport aloha shirts and surfboards.

I'll post again when the episode is over!

Ok, it ended with Pablo and friends finding Tiki Beach. Tiki Beach is a surfers paradise complete with a giant 40 foot moi statue facing the water. Then they all went surfing and completed several rad moves including The Run Around, The Funkadilly, The Triple Jump and The Tiki Wacky.

Here's the "Surf's Up" episode page.
http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/GuidePageServlet/showid-28687/epid-400176/

S

lol, everyone here should seriously watch Spongebob Squarepants, there's plenty of tiki style in that show :tiki:

Okay. This is weird. I just saw tikis in an MTV commercial from 1990. I was watching my old copy of Crowded House Unplugged. It included a commercial for Martha Quinn's return to MTV, and there was a shot of some moais in the background for one brief moment.

TJ

Last week's episode of Two and a Half Men featured a scene inside a bar that had big tikis and a nautical theme.

I too saw the Tiki Beach episode of the Backyardigans. My sister-in-law gave us a call Saturday morning and I switched it on. Liberal use of the word "Tiki" throughout. I especially liked how the show is instilling the old 1960s music standards like "Guantanamera" into pre-schoolers' heads by changing the lyrics into simple songs they can sing along to.

My little nieces are now asking me to get them tiki pendants. The fact that preschoolers are just now getting into tiki, and that stores like Big Lots and Kohls are introducing larger lines of tiki merchandise each year, leads me to believe that this current wave of tiki resurgence (good or bad) is nowhere near over yet.

Sabu

Just watched a old episode of Landscapers challenge. It was a tiki themed back yard and showed the homeowner and designer shopping at Oceanic arts.
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_design_other/article/0,1785,HGTV_3566_1878502,00.html

On 2005-05-24 10:17, rodeotiki wrote:
Just watched a old episode of Landscapers challenge. It was a tiki themed back yard and showed the homeowner and designer shopping at Oceanic arts.

I saw the same episode - extremely cool to see the world becoming a more tiki place, one well designed backyard at a time.

I actually have seen tiki a couple of times on various HGTV shows.

C
Chacha posted on Sun, Jun 5, 2005 5:07 PM

I found myself watching a rerun of "The Nanny" and saw some tikis. In the episode, Brian Setzer shoots a video in the house and the set is decorated with giant tikis.

CA

It's finally going to air!!
"Action Figures" the Interview Show that focuses on S.Cal Sports-Music-Art
http://www.actionfigurestv.com/
We shot the pilot show in Aug 03 at the HB pier.....
It airs this Friday June 10 at 6PM on LA station KVMD
I carved a tiki for the show!! and it will finally be up for a charity auction!!
C"AL Tiki#59 signed by me and the guests on the show......

more info on auction to follow

BambooBen, Wes of House o'Tiki, and I helped create the set....
We also did the new programs shot last month.
One of these shows features the "Smoke'n Menihunies!!"
(posted some where by BambooBen)

C
Chacha posted on Tue, Sep 6, 2005 2:45 PM

I just saw a "Gilmore Girls" rerun with a fabulous home tiki bar in it. Actually, I think the whole interior of the house was tiki. Blue walls, mugs, aquarium...the owner of the house called it the "Oasis." It was a beautiful and unexpected sight.

The house also had enough board games to rival those of Ikitnrev.

chacha, is that the episode of GG where Lorelai is looking after her neighbor's house? I seem to remember that the neighbor was going to be away for some time and yet he left all the lighting on in the bar (I know, it's TV -- there's no end of things that don't make sense).

I noticed in a previous season that Lorelai had a pair of moai salt & pepper shakers in the kitchen. When I saw them, it became a scene about maoi salt & pepper shakers -- I saw nothing else. Haven't seen them lately though.

C
Chacha posted on Tue, Sep 6, 2005 5:35 PM

Sweet Daddy Tiki- yes, that is the episode I was talking about. I hadn't even thought about it but the moai string lights were blazing. There were lots of carvings in there, too. I'm a big GG fan so thanks for the heads up about the S&P shakers.

PI

Hey, I just saw that episode of Gilmore Girls and you can see the "Mai Tiki" letters on the bottom of one of the statues by the doorway. The whole "Oasis" house was pretty cool.

You can only see a little of the house from this pic:
http://www.gilmoregirls.org/screencaps/episode305/57.jpg

If anyone is ambitious enough to go rent the dvd, the episode is on Season 3, Disc 2 and the title is "Eight O'Clock at the Oasis."

This morning I saw an animated ad for Vanilla Frosted Mini Wheats set in Hawaii. At the end of the commercial a huge Moai identical to the Kahiki fireplace sings on the beach, with a tiki masked guy banging away on drums in the background as kanes & wahines continue their hula.

P

On 2006-08-31 12:00, Tikiwahine wrote:
This morning I saw an animated ad for Vanilla Frosted Mini Wheats set in Hawaii. At the end of the commercial a huge Moai identical to the Kahiki fireplace sings on the beach, with a tiki masked guy banging away on drums in the background as kanes & wahines continue their hula.

Thanks. I'll have to keep my eye out for that one.

Reminds me of one of my favorite commercials (and the cereal wasn't half bad either) from way back in the late 60's...Kellogg's "Puffa Puffa Rice"...which had a Hawaiian marketing angle to it.

Here's a very, very poor clip of one of the commercials:

http://webserve.govst.edu/users/gaskrau/puffa56.ram

:)

BP

keep an eye out for the new Fanta "Bamboocha" add campaign, it has most of my tiki collection hiding somewhere in it as well as about half a dozen of my paintings

cheers
Bob

P
panic8 posted on Fri, Sep 1, 2006 9:08 AM

Who needs TV if there's Podcast?
http://www.tikibartv.com

we already have a tiki bar tv thread going, here:Tiki Bar TV - latest episode

Try using our handy-dandy Search feature for all of your Tiki Central previous thread needs.

P
panic8 posted on Fri, Sep 1, 2006 1:33 PM

On 2006-09-01 09:34, Tikiwahine wrote:
Try using our handy-dandy Search feature for all of your Tiki Central previous thread needs.

Strange, I've didn't found it. Maybe I've typed it wrong (me stupid Kraut).... anyway, now there's a Link from here to it.

Poor quality version here

On 2006-08-31 12:00, Tikiwahine wrote:

KT

I saw a station promo for the 10 Network here in Oz and my eyes nearly popped out when I saw some of the network "personalities" hanging out at a very authentic Tiki Bar. Really wierd to see this sort of this on Australian TV!

One of the great things about Tiki is how it speaks to people in the creative field, who pick up on it and re-introduce it into pop culture with their own work. There is a very popular TV daily soap here in Germany called "Verliebt in Berlin" (In Love in/with Berlin) that has a Tiki Bar set in it. Not many scenes are written for it, but I know from a colleague of his that the production designer was inspired by the BOT and decided that if a bar, it would be a Tiki bar.

Probably no one in the production company, and 98% of the viewers know what that is, but they have registered it unconsciously. I assume the same is the case with your Australian show. And to those in the know, its like a secret language, saying hey, there is a designer who is part of the cult.

Not exactly Tiki on TV...but I saw the San Diego Bali Hai's owner(?) Sam Choy on the Iron Chef America tonight. The secret ingredient was clams.

V

I was watching the latest episode of The Venture Bros last night (Season 3 - "Home is Where The Hate Is") and my wife and I thought we spied a tiki tattoo on the arm of Sgt. Hatred -

In a later scene we got a better look. Turns out the tattoo is an angry "tiki-esque" face made of flipped and distorted Sargent stripes. Genius!

R

Get out! :lol:

I seriously thought the same thing!

Rad that there are people out there that love VB!

Go Team Venture!

W

Hey! I'm gonna do a ME TOO!!!

"I was watching the latest episode of The Venture Bros last night (Season 3 - "Home is Where The Hate Is") and my wife and I thought we spied a tiki tattoo on the arm of Sgt. Hatred -In a later scene we got a better look. Turns out the tattoo is an angry "tiki-esque" face made of flipped and distorted Sargent stripes. Genius!" -VanTiki-

"I seriously thought the same thing! Rad that there are people out there that love VB! Go Team Venture!" -ravenne-

Ok here it is...

ME TOO!!!

I thought about postin' it what with all the interest in tattoos and there are a few people around here interested in Tiki stuff, but I got lazy figgerin' out how to explain it. (Go VanTiki!)

And now since I did a classic ME TOO!!! let's veer it a lil bit off topic as well:

GO TEAM VENTURE!

The Mini-Wheats commercials have tiki/retro themes!
they also got a new strawberry miniwheat....

V

I had to rub my eyes during last night's episode of Venture Bros (Dr. Quymm, Medicine Woman):

Dr. Venture at a swinging "key party" - is he holding what I think he is?

Col. Gentleman shows up, and by jove, we have a tiki mug:

Best. Show. EVER! (and this was a top episode in my book)

Henrik "VanTiki"

W

The Venture Brothers generally has good background music and last night's episode (which took place mostly in a jungle) was backed with Exotica. (Original pieces, I think.) The Exotica fit so well with the jungle scenes that I almost didn't notice it. I am continually surprised by how well made and clever the show is. (I regularly play/loan the DVDs in an attempt to make new converts...The success rate is pretty high.)

V

I totally forgot to mention the great exotica jungle music! It was superb. I can only hope it will be included on the planned Venture Bros soundtrack album. Fingers crossed!

I've long had a bit of a thing for exotica in general -- Tiki imagery, Martin Denny Records in the vinyl bins, etc...and have had a very big thing for the Venture Brothers!! So i definitely feel a connection between the two, and the past episode, Dr Quymn really brought that home.

Great music throughout, it is all done by JG Thirwell, man of many projects, and just about all of his releases under the names MANOREXIA and STEROID MAXIMUS, offer some great moody exotica-inspird listening, although his style is a bit too eclectic to stay on one thing for an entire album.

I also hope that, if we get a Venture Bros. soundtrack, there is some music from this episode on it.

BTW, i'm from new york, but am writing via Hawaii, where I find myself staying for about a month, and often do each year around July - August. I would love to get some kind of Venture Bros. fan meet up kind of thing going - to either watch or just talk about that show and whatever else with likeminded people. I even imagined a place like the Mariana Sailing Club (if it's still around? it's been a while since i visited that place, and i've heard it wasin jeopardy) being the perfect venue.

well, if there's any interest please give me a shout!

A
aku76 posted on Sat, Jul 19, 2008 4:45 PM

I was just channel surfing this afternoon and found a children's show on NBC called "3-2-1 Penguins". Today's episode was "Wiki Tiki" about a floating island in space that has an erupting volcano. All the inhabitants of the island are little tikis (they look like tiki pendants with feet and are wearing Hawaiian skirts)--the king looks different because he wears a maoi on his head--cool! The penguins have to save the inhabitants using their spaceship!

I ended up watching the last 20 minutes-it had impressive computer animated imagery and non-stop tikis!

Orbit Gum commercial, featuring Janice Dickerson. At least two different tikis in the background.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyiV12WdJew&feature=related

SK

Oceanside Ca. is NOT down with tiki... IT AINT RIGHT!!!

I saw this report on San Diego's KUSI news last night.

Investigative reporter Turko standing up for the what is right, DEFENDING TIKI!

full story and video..
http://www.kusi.com/features/turko/26271914.html

Sofa King,

T
K
KuKu posted on Wed, Aug 6, 2008 7:10 PM

Also see this thread about King of the Hill where Bobby builds a tiki raft...
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=28347&forum=1&PHPSESSID=010563d9a93886e1eb0813cf4dc00ff3

I bought Season 1 of "How I Met Your Mother". I noticed on the wall of the bar they frequent, there was a VooDoo Rum sign.

More Venture Brother's tiki. A lamp and tiki on the wall.

I swear I look for tikis in every episode of the Venture Brothers, but I don't know how I missed that one. The bed frames are of bamboo. With carpet like that, there had to be tiki somewhere.

W

Also interesting...And mysterious... About this past Venture Brothers: The family was staying at a tropical/Tiki themed motel, but the motel sign had been pixelated so the name could not be read. It was a large 3 story sign seen above the motel from the courtyard. The shape looked like it may have been 3 shields or masks but the name was pixelated in both brief shots of the sign. As it was broadcast it just said ___________ MOTEL. Frame by frame viewing (of tape) revealed nothing telling.

V

Odd that the motel name was pixelated for broadcast. I get my Venture fix via iTunes, and the "Tiki Taki" motel name was unaltered:

the room:

the bathroom:

and a carpet detail:

Go Team Venture!

T

Thanks for the stills.
It was driving my wife and I crazy trying to figure the pixelated sign out.
This has been a great season and I am kinda sad it will be ending soon. The pain will be eased a bit with the cool T-shirts that I got from the T-Shirt club. My very favorite is the Dr. Girlfriend.
The DVDs will be purchased the day they come out!
Yes I love the fact that two of my favorite things are combined, Venture Bros. and Tiki.

R

Was watching my Seinfeld dvd's last night and lo and behold discovered that Kramer has a tiki corner in his apartment. Episode is the one where he is showing around 3 Japanese tourists who wind up staying with him. they show a corner of his apartment with a tiki mask on the wall. Its from season 8, episode 7.

J

Remember Anne Francis as private detective "Honey West"? It was a B&W TV show that ran for one season in 1965. They just re-issued it on DVD. In the episode "A Neat Little Package", Honey goes undercover as a cigarette girl in a Tiki restaurant. I'm not sure if they used a set or if it was filmed at an actual business. The exterior shots show a bamboo-thatched Polynesian-style restaurant with the sign "Golden Lotus" (which might have just been stuck there). There is also a small artificial lagoon with tiki torches adjacent to what looks like the rear of the restaurant. Anyway there were a lot of tikis for the interior shots. One poor tiki gets a machete chop in the head. :(

Anne Francis was also really cool in "Forbidden Planet" which has a (kind of) tiki-headed robot.

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2008-12-24 22:42 ]

Christmas Eve and of course I'm watching "It's A Wonderful Life".
In the scene where George is running down the street in "Pottersville" he goes past a Bar called "The Bamboo Room" and there is the sound of Exotica music comming from it.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 167 replies