Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki on TV....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 167 replies

On 2010-05-31 13:30, tikibars wrote:

On 2008-12-24 22:15, JOHN-O wrote:
Remember Anne Francis as private detective "Honey West"? It was a B&W TV show that ran for one season in 1965. They just re-issued it on DVD. In the episode "A Neat Little Package", Honey goes undercover as a cigarette girl in a Tiki restaurant. I'm not sure if they used a set or if it was filmed at an actual business. The exterior shots show a bamboo-thatched Polynesian-style restaurant with the sign "Golden Lotus" (which might have just been stuck there). There is also a small artificial lagoon with tiki torches adjacent to what looks like the rear of the restaurant. Anyway there were a lot of tikis for the interior shots. One poor tiki gets a machete chop in the head. :(

Definitely looks like a set - check out the deep background in the wide room shots. Seems to be an apartment or office set redressed as a restaurant.

Screen grabs from this episode:

WOW! As a forbidden planet fan this has been on my wish list a long time.
And by dumb luck I spotted another Honey West tiki!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2cZPho0TDM at 28 seconds in.

The next episode of SpongeBob Squarepants is called "Enchanted Tiki Dreams":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcpWlx5FSt0

J
JOHN-O posted on Mon, Oct 4, 2010 5:21 PM

Bump. :D

MN

New TV series Outsourced.

There is a movie with the same name. Anyone Seen a tiki in it?

N

Here's another addition to 70's sitcoms that go to Hawaii- Green Acres 1971 titled Hawaiian Honeymoon where the Oliver and Lisa go on a 5th honeymoon. Most I suspect was filmed on a soundstage but it still works. It's on Hulu now see it while you can.

Nice touches on the plane seats on the Hawaiian flight.

A haunting serenade in the lobby by rockin sounds of The Three Coconuts.

Arriving with a Tiki Room Sign in the background.

The front desk with tiki prop.

Breakfast in the Tiki Room with Pat Morita as the waiter.

didn't have time to grab camera but I was watchinf Hollywood Treasure on Sci-Fi and they were at Joe Moe's apartment (if your a horror fan you know who he is) and next to his front door was a tiki haning on the wall. I'll try to grab a pic the next time it's on.

George Carlin goes Tiki!

I just came across this in his biography, "7 Dirty Words" (by James Sullivan, Da Capo Press).

Obviously, it was not the highlight of George's career but it sounds very amusing. I can just imagine the look on his face.

This was around 1974 or '75. Has anyone seen this or know if copies exist anywhere?

J

Sticky. Make me stick.

This episode of "the Saint" has some voodoo / Tiki / maori carving art in a nightclub
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5M-8e2OSi4 (See at 6 minutes)

http://youtu.be/zBU-D4axFwk

Marilyn Monroe's TV Debut on the Jack Benny Program: Honolulu Trip - Season 4, Episode 1 (1953)

J

What could be cooler 1960's Pop Art than Batman and Tiki ??

In the 1966 first episode of the TV series, Batman visits the "What a Way to Go-Go" nightclub which had both Tiki torches and 2 large Tikis outside...

This episode was also significant for guest star (and future Bond girl) Jill St. John as well as introducing the Batusi dance craze. :)

Here's the YouTube clip...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMh_goPuhBo

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2011-06-19 19:49 ]

Batman ....Sweet

An episode of Cheers shows Coach making his famous Kon Tiki Tiki drink complete with coconut mug. Spoiler alert- he throws the whole thing in a blender and destroys it.

K

nothing came up in a search, so i don't think this has been mentioned and this thread
is probably the most appropriate.

one of the documentaries by aussie waterman Ben Cropp "Legends of the South Pacific"

touching on Vanuatu islands featuring; the vine jumpers, Micheners' inspirations and
writings, Blighs' visit during his epic journey back to civilisation following the
mutiny aboard HMS Bounty and other imagery of possible interest to TCers.

the youtube clip doesn't appear to be of very good quality and is unfortunately a
little short.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4t1pnZknHI

There is a bit from CBS Sunday Morning on TODAY\11-20-11, with BigBro and a brief history of tikiness. May be on website after today.

I was surprised & very happy to watch that segment on CBS Sunday Morning.
Sven with my coffee, what a great way to start the day!
~kele

Yeah. It made my Sunday. Didn't go too deep but it was nice to see.

Yup, it's just the basics, ma'am, but one is grateful that there are no grave mistakes, or the use of words like "tacky" and "kitschy" in it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDLC4jjwIf4

K

Tiki in a nutshell...very nice.

P

Maybe I'm just selfish, but I don't want it to return to popularity. When it becomes popular, it can become unpopular. Passe. Instead of being the cool guy with the retro tiki bar in the basement, we're the lame guys with last year's trend in the basement. It's not going to stop me from continuing, but it does make me wary of the building of trends.

I wouldn't worry so much about that. The media has "discovered" the comeback of Tiki in regular intervals for some time now, since about ouh, 1995:

If it is still hip after 16 years, it will be so for an unforeseeable future. The Sufis have a saying "The Secret protects Itself".
(Otto is on my right, above, of course)

W

I was excited to see Sven yesterday morning as well, made my strawberry pancakes and bacon that much better!

Psych "Psy vs Psy" Tikis behind the wet bar that Shawn's Dad is building in his house.

http://www.tv-links.eu/tv-shows/Psych-_543/season_2/episode_3/

S

Just watched Dexter season 6, episode 5, and at 42:33 Dexters sister is looking at an apartment to rent and in the background you can see a yellow sign with blue writing that says Tiki Bar.

In the 1995 made-for-TV remake of the 1963 musical Bye Bye Birdie, Vanessa Williams dances for a Shriner type group in a heavily bamboo decored room.
YouTube: Bye Bye Birdie-Vanessa Williams dance
There are masks on wall but unable to determine if tiki. I keep getting distracted by Ms. Williams.

The Tiki on TV thread appears to be a victim of identity theft. There are 2 threads with same name but different content.
TikiCentral: Tiki on Television

Which one the official Tiki on TV that I can trust and depend on?

Wow that ByByBirdie is a hot mess...LOL Thanks for the entertainment KB.

Couple of great Tiki images from the heyday or classic Poly Pop TV

and from the show Poncie Ponce

I didn't get pictures but came across a couple shows lately that I didn't see mentioned in any of these TV threads.

There's an episode of the Bob Newhart show in which Carol's husband opens a travel agency in Bob's office building (yes, a medical building.) To promote the new agency, they decked out the whole lobby as a repica Hawaiian paradise, complete with a couple large Tikis. Season 5, Epidode 22, "The Mentor."

Then the other day I caught part of a Dragnet epidode in which they were investigating a scam involving a fake police organization that was giving out membership cards to business owners that donated. One of the businesses who filed a complaint was a Polynesian/Tiki style bar. I didn't spot any actual Tikis, but I didn't see the entire scene. Season 2, Episode 13, "The Phony Police Racket."

Found this image in my collection. McHales Navy Sea. 2, Ep. 16, Titled: The Creature from McHales Lagoon. Polynesian Actor Tiki Santos, a Hollywood Tiki and Pearls:

I noticed a big painted Tiki as part of a graffiti mural
behind "Jesse" about 10 min. into the 2008 "Gray Matter"
episode of "Breaking Bad"

Finally captured the tiki bar Charlie (Charlie Sheen), Alan (Jon Cryer) and now Walden (Ashton Kutcher) hangs out on "Two and a Half Men". Well captured a frame with a nice tiki in it anyway (in the background entrance). Anybody confirm on the far right low against the wall it looks like the top of a Lono figure?

Making Monsters is a show on the Travel Channel about Ed Edmunds and his company, Distortions Unlimited, who create some of the scariest animatronics and “frightronics” the haunt industry has ever seen.

In an episode called "Evil Tiki" they head to Hawaii where a local company has asked them to create, build and install an evil tiki statue in their entryway.

Making Monsters: Evil Tiki photos

Unfortunately, I did not see the complete episode so I do not know where the Evil Tiki is now.

[->>King Bushwich 33rd on Hulu.com

I saw it and I thought the Tiki didn't turn out as bad as it could have. Which is nice. :)

Just watched tonight's episode of SouthPark & it's chock full of Tikis, Mugs, Hawaiian phrases
an abandoned Tiki restaurant haunted by Elvis & Chi Chi's, Ben Affleck remarks and a subplot
lifted from the classic Star Trek episode "Amok Time"

Going Native

Episode Air Date: 10/18/2012
Butters’ outrageous behavior is a sign. It's time for him to begin a journey where he will follow in the path of his ancestors. When Butters starts acting out at school, his parents realize it’s time to tell him why he’s not like all of the other kids. He must travel to a foreign place to learn the ways of his people. It will be a difficult trip for a young boy to make alone so Butters chooses Kenny to travel with him to the distant and secluded island of Hawaii.

Watch it here: http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s16e11-going-native

Did anyone notice the Tiki Bar in the last episode of "Dexter"
real place or set?

ATP,

That wasn't an old restaurant in South Park, it was the Coco Palms resort.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=29331&forum=2&start=0

DC

A

That South Park episode was classic. From the Coco Palms and Elvis' ghost, to the Chi Chi swigging haoles who think they're native Hawaiians - hilarious!

Thanks Dusty, Someone paid a lot of attention to details and seemed to have
an affinity for Tiki on this episode.

On 2012-10-18 00:53, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Did anyone notice the Tiki Bar in the last episode of "Dexter"
real place or set?

ATP, it is a real bar. It was filmed at the Maui Sugar Mill Saloon in Tarzana. Not sure if there are really tikis inside or not. One piece actually kinda looked like BenZart's.

Erik the Red

Got Greyhounds? Viva Kate!

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2012-10-18 12:25 ]

Thanks Erik! to me it looked like an actual location (Bar)that was dressed to be more "Tiki"
one of the actresses was wearing a Sugar Mill Saloon T-shirt

On 2011-11-27 05:43, swizzle wrote:
Just watched Dexter season 6, episode 5, and at 42:33 Dexters sister is looking at an apartment to rent and in the background you can see a yellow sign with blue writing that says Tiki Bar.

I live a block away from the Dexter and Rita house. It's in an area of Long Beach, CA called Bluff Park. One day my girlfriend saw John Lithgow quickly walking around the block which she thought was cool. Lots of 'Dexter' is filmed in Long Beach. 'CSI Miami' did quite a bit of filming here too.

Dexter does some filming at Alfredo's Kayak Kafe and it has tiki's sitting on the sand. I'll try to take some pics this weekend.

Thanks Dusty for pointing out the significance of the Coco Palms Resort Hotel in the South Park episode

Do you want to know more?: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=29331&forum=2&start=60&68

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2012-10-18 18:19 ]

G
GROG posted on Mon, Mar 18, 2013 12:06 PM

Episode of American Dad ---For Black Eyes Only---has Stan Smith rescuing "Tear Jerker" from a prison on Easter Island. Has a brief closeup of Moais before pulling out to Long Shot.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

[ Edited by: GROG 2013-03-18 12:07 ]

Thanks Grog

How did I miss this. I watch American Dad every week. I remember doing the dishes but the kids always give me an tiki alarm shout out but they tell me today they forgot. Thanks again.

Surprised this is not in the 2 or 3 Tiki on TV threads. I would do a search to see if it's in other threads but not sure what I would search for. Anyway...

The animated TV series "The Critic" with main character, Jay Sherman, voiced by actor Jon Lovitz. It was created by writing partners Al Jean and Mike Reiss, who had previously worked as writers on The Simpsons. Jay Sherman has a son who goes to a "United Nations School" with students from different countries. One student is from Easter Island

YouTube: The Critic Season 2 episode 6

[->>King Bushwich 33rd on Hulu.com

I never noticed before tonight that Ron Swanson in the show "Parks & Rec" has a TiKi lamp in his office. I like his character and now...even more!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 167 replies