Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Banana Republic Tiki sighting

Pages: 1 3 replies

TT

I was taking my students on a field trip to Chicago this weekend and our bus drove past a Banana Republic clothing store (downtown). Out of the corner of my eye, I caught what looked like a Tiki display in the main window. Needless to say, when I had a free moment I ran down to the store and looked around. The display was a shelving unit filled with mugs (nothing special)and other things. I happened to ask the first worker I saw about the display. He said it was just that and there was nothing more to it. He saw my Easter Island hat and asked if I was a fan--etc. etc.. It turns out he used to go to the Kahiki in Ohio before he moved to Chicago. He loved the place and was very sad it closed. He described it just as the B.O.T. shows it. I then asked if he had been to the Hala Kahiki in River Grove and he never had heard of it. He was really excited to go and relive his Tiki days. I re-converted one this week I guess.

MG

On 2005-04-24 19:31, ted tiki wrote:
I re-converted one this week I guess.

Keep up the good work!

ahh spreading the good word...

tiki

Stores with tiki displays in the LA area include Tommy Bahama's (tiki mugs) and Roxy's Surf (tiki bust & hanging tiki) in the Grove.

Always good to see tiki.

Pages: 1 3 replies