Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Kirby's Art.. pg 74 & 77

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 1,172 replies

Cool stuff as usual Kirbs! I like the dude with the bone through his nose.

the skull eyes and the PNG-ish guy holding a skull are my faves of the bunch!
stoked you're bringing these down! i wanna lookie up close!
Kirby, you've pushed it ahead
and now you're locked in a truly awesome stride!
wonderful!
YAY Kirby!

D

[ Edited by: martiki - spam - 2009-02-28 09:33 ]

B

Kirby,
Really Nice to see more of your COOl Stuff here again. All but that Finger photo that is :o :P :D

killer stuff,man!

B

Love the Shirt, do you have one in my size??
:lol:

C

Love that PNG styled stuff. Great job slinging the paint Kirby.

Kirby ALL those are rockin'!!! I want 'em all!!

Kirbs! great carvings, my friend.

The aloha shirt is cool idea - and he came out looking very nice.
The PNGish holding the skull with all the circle eyes is FAR OUT! I really dig that design. he'd look cool as a 3 footer too...hint, hint!

I have to say that the last Moai you did looks REAL classy - fantastic carving with a great authentic vibe to it.

thanks for posting your work - it's nice to see what you're up to!

super solid Kirby...

you gots da skilz

I don't think I have EVER seen a tiki wear a Hawaiian shirt and a tiki pendant before. The idea is awesome and the result looks amazing. Great work!

Aloha!

Marcus

K
kirby posted on Tue, Mar 3, 2009 8:39 AM

dudes.. i love you guys.. thanks for all the back up...Im realy loving carving right now.. im getting more and more comfortable with my techniques and design skills.. I still have a long way to go to catch up with the masters here on TC that I look up too..mahalo...kirby

H

Kirby, you are a natural. No need to catch up to anyone, you have your own unique style that is very good. Just make some more stuff and post them here, hurry. :)

T

On 2009-03-03 09:44, hiltiki wrote:
Kirby, you are a natural. No need to catch up to anyone, you have your own unique style that is very good. Just make some more stuff and post them here, hurry. :)

Here hear !
Also if you look at Kirby's work from a few years ago to now, you'll see that his hiatus served him well and gave him all kinds of inspiration, because the stuff he's doing now is even better than before.

Kirby is doing something for the new Tikiyaki Orchestra CD release as part of a limited edition package that is just outstanding !

Can't wait for you guys to see it.

Killer stuff man,
can't wait to see more.

just stick yer cut hand in a pool,
the chlorine will help heal it,
oooooowwwwww

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2009-03-03 08:39, kirby wrote:
I still have a long way to go to catch up with the masters here on TC that I look up too..mahalo...kirby

Thanks for compliment - I'm hoping that you can step it up a bit as well (kidding!!!). The new stuff is excellent. Maybe I should take a year off too?

K
kirby posted on Tue, Mar 3, 2009 9:19 PM

Here is one more.. he's got a name "kavakava skullkeeper"

Love all the Moai stuff man.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Go Kirby Go!

You're on fire!

Great work!

Good to see you posting again, welcome back!

H

Most excellent Kirby! Love all the linework. -HH

H
Heath posted on Wed, Mar 4, 2009 9:13 AM

I'd say your hiatus from carving is paying off!

Dude! you are totally rockin' that hook knife.

I love the detail and the shape of your Moai's (!). The skull is a nice touch.

mad skillz!!!!!

S

Right On! that's a cool looking fella all right.
Love the little mouth and then the big long nose just
above.

B

WOW :o

This moai's really nicely done.

Benjamin.

C

I like this last Moai design a LOT! Very well done, congrats!

The Kavakava Skullkeeper kicks ass, and I'm not just saying that because Kirby gave it to me as a going away gift.

nice work cuz! it's great to see you making art again.

B

Kirby, this M oai is a Killer masn, don't turn yer back on him.
What an Excellent job on him!

K
kirby posted on Wed, Mar 25, 2009 8:24 PM

aloha...this is my 1000th post and as cliche as it might be, I would realy like to thank every body here on Tiki Central who have encouraged me over the years and those kirby fans out there who have actually givin up there hard earned money for one of my art pieces, also to all you great artist over here in creating tiki that I look up to for guidance and inspiration...you rock... Contest .. the first person to answer this question will recieve acustom painted tiki kanoo pendant, and a coconut monkey lucky penny bank free,and I will even pay the shipping...question in my Tiki Adventure (which now longer exists on my website)what was the prize for pleasing the tiki gods and jumping into the great volcano?
good luck!!
And a post would not be complete without sum pics.. so here are a few new pendants and a 6ish footer i just finished..
mahalo for looking

and here is a cool photo tiki mango took of "kavakava skull keeper pendant" on the beach in florida..

big mahalos ...kirby

Kirby, you've got a very nice collection of pendants going... love the 3-D on the Tang with the rope around his arms!

Great colors going on too!

Impressive 6 footer also... well thought out and some clever design elements going on with the skull eyes!

Back in the saddle again, and killing it bruddah!

the answer is "a custom painted tiki kanoo pendant, and a coconut monkey lucky penny bank". what could be greater? great work there kirby. love the skull wearing tiki. really dig the varied use of skulls in your work.

bd

B

1000 posts and your works are getting better and better each time.
The new pieces are really really really cool.
Bravo,

Benjamin.

T

Great carvings here kirby, is the answer a hula girl... a mai tai?

K
kirby posted on Thu, Mar 26, 2009 8:47 AM

thanks guys for the comments but wrong answers..

T

Wow, I LOVE these! Kirby, they're all great man. They definitely have an abundance of character. The number of different design elements on the 6 footer is awesome!

Was it this delightful paper pendant?

L

Perhaps the answer is: an island (Tahiti)... Tiki jumped into the great volcano of thanking the gods for having given the land to its people ...

L

oops!I've forgot: your carve very nice! Especially the 6 footer, like all around carving and the skulls...

You are really killin it!! Great original ideas with the traditional base. Keep them comin!

Dammit Kate! I knew I should have checked TC this morning before work...I love that paper pendant I got from you Kirbs for completing the web game (I got it from you at the 2nd lucky tiki art show!)

Kirb - your designs are one-of-a-kind. Very impressive styling, vision and execution. That large tiki is AWESOME - I love all the detail on him, it all just fits together perfectly. I'm with lake on that tang pendant too, very cool dimensions. you are THE man!!!!

K
kirby posted on Thu, Mar 26, 2009 3:07 PM

kate and polynesiac are absolutely right... its my most favorite invention and I will be bringing it or a version of it back real soon .. thanks for playin the game.. kate your the big winner and i will get your prize to you right away..pm me your addy..
big mahalos again...kirby

Awesome carves Kirby! That big guy is amazing.

:D YAY! KIRBY ART ROCKS!!! :D

Flippity-fLip-flOpPp'n-FliPpP...! :D

B

Yeay Kirby, You are Really rockin' the Joint with yoyr new stuff. i Really love the brashness ofthe color and added string around the arm but beneath it all are some really NICE Carvings.
This photo is Ecxellent.
img]http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m158/kirbyisme/n1134713009_349159_5148995.jpg[/img]
I'm sitting here looking at my fold out tiki and thinking Thats the answer and then I read further, Darn you Kate and you too Poly' (not really you deserve it)
Kirby, Don't be Such a Stranger, although you can Still be Strange :o

K
kirby posted on Fri, Mar 27, 2009 8:31 AM

Thanks again guys .. hey benz... I should have given a handicap for the older guys.. I know they move a lil slower.. so send me your address again and I will send you sumthing too...considering you were the first guy to welcome me to tc and you have been a huge support over the years.. its the least i could do..thanks again, your awsome..kirby

ALL EXCELLENT!
You're finally really settling into your creative skin
and thay keep getting better and better!
kavakava skull keeper pendant is my favorite...
Evokes that whole period of civil strife on the island wih warring tribes
destroying the other's homes/monuments and resources..
there is a dark period when most were hidden in caves
and i imagine food was scarce
but 'longpig' (to use a Hawaiian expression) was plentiful!
see?
when your art can create a scenario,a story behind it
it gets pumped up a notch..
you're rad....

except when you get drunk
and lay horizontal in my booth
while i'm trying to vend
and scare away customers.....

that part isn't rad....
it's bad!
:lol:

K
kirby posted on Fri, Mar 27, 2009 2:34 PM

mabey i will have you come up with all the stories behind my art, thats a good one. I just thought it would be cool to have a moai holding a sKull, and the ribs are just where I messed up a bunch of times but was to lazy do sand them out....your story with the strife and all that good one...

and about me laying down in your booth... I wasnt drunk i was sick from taco surf, i had a terrible headache and was sick to my stomach.. and I got stuck in a corner with no room to sit..I also was talking you up as the most awesome artist to everybody that stopped by while you were out smoking and even help sum people pick out the perfect llt painting,so have a lil compassion and take back the bad comment.. it hurt my feelings...kirby

Fellas, fellas! Stop with the cat fights!! Well, maybe not, it's kinda funny.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 1172 replies