Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Kirby's Art.. pg 74 & 77

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 1,172 replies

On 2009-07-11 16:01, kirby wrote:
This bride and groom is a commission from a fellow TCer, for his wedding.. Congrats and thanks for giving me the opportunity....

When I was over at the Rumpus Room I saw a couple stages of the wedding Tiki pendants. Kirby, it's a perfect Bride & Groom! You ARE the Da Kane. Whoever the Bride & Groom congrats to you what a clever idea are the pendants. I think resin duplicates would be so cool for guest gifts.

K
kirby posted on Fri, Jul 17, 2009 9:03 AM

a few mor things im workin on for TTPP 2 and The Tiki mag art show..

mahalo...

T

haha! Wow, amazing stuff. Love it. :o

Your style is way cooler since I left...love the detail and designs.... SWEET

K
kirby posted on Mon, Jul 20, 2009 9:00 AM

heres a few more pendants and shizzle ready for the TTPP2 show and/or the Tiki Mag release party..

Here is a wall mask .. I might still add a back shield thingy..Im also thinking of making a small version of it..

[ Edited by: kirby 2009-07-20 09:01 ]

Great pendants Kirby! and Love the bride and groom, very original!

Amy

S

More Great works coming out of you! Man I love your style.
Cool cool.

K
kirby posted on Thu, Aug 6, 2009 11:12 PM

Ive been hangin with Grog lately And messin around with a lil bit of clay..I cant show you everything we have been workin on yet but here is a mug im workin on It hasnt all gone to plan though..

Here is where it all goes to hell..Grog help devise plan to fix .. So Ill let you know how that goes..

Grog work on mug

I will post more progress as I go...

Kirby's Island.com****The Tiki Adventure

[ Edited by: kirby 2009-08-06 23:33 ]

[ Edited by: kirby 2009-08-06 23:34 ]

K
kirby posted on Fri, Aug 7, 2009 8:45 AM

Here is a teaser of the other thing im workin on..

can you guess?

T

Pineapple

G
GROG posted on Fri, Aug 7, 2009 10:36 AM

It's not a "Pigaroan" is it?

On 2009-08-07 08:45, kirby wrote:
Here is a teaser of the other thing im workin on..

Cool! Grog invent wheel.

I am stoked that you all are getting crazy with the clay man. Can't wait to see what you come up with Kirby!! See you at Oasis if not sooner!!

K
kirby posted on Fri, Aug 7, 2009 2:57 PM

No grog its not a pigaroan..
grog maked "piggy bob"

Kirby make "longpig luau bowl" the pineapples are for the straws both are collaborations with squid using his luau pig mug

Kirby's Island.com****The Tiki Adventure

[ Edited by: kirby 2009-08-07 15:00 ]

TT

I'm so bummed about the big crack in your mug, Kirby. I hope you can fix it.

The Long Pig Bowl is awesome. If you wanted further embellishment you could even put a little dry ice reservoir in the snout so steam would exit through the nostrils. The pineapple rings are genius!!!

TT

Grog's Piggy Bob is cool also. I can't wait to see these all glazed up!

Careful Kirby you are being drawn into the Dark Side. I've tried to avoid working in clay but the Force is strong!!

T

It's so great to see these types of collaborations going on! I'm stoked for everyone involved. Great stuff!!

luau ... really cool to see collaborative projects....the sharing of style and knowledge is what this is all about...

Great stuff from both of you....

C

Ha, very nice! and you made GROG work and all, congrats, cool pig Bob too!

You two boyz look happier than pigs waller in swill!! :D

lol: ** DO NOT FEED DA ANI-MALES!** :lol:

K
kirby posted on Thu, Aug 20, 2009 9:26 AM

I sent "wanna be a lono " down to hodadhanks gallery and i thought it would be cool to expain to the patrons what he was all about.. So I ask Trader tom to whip up a lil story about him, and he did a great job..I hear hodad is reading it to all the kids who visit...mahalo Tom..

The Story of Wanna-Be-A-Lono
Early one October evening, on the island of Oahu, as the villagers were preparing for their annual Makahiki Festival, a lonely little Ku tiki, the littlest of his kind, hung his head and wept.
The Makahiki Festival stretched for months, and during this time all warfare and work would be Kapu. Reigning over this festival, with his headdress stretched high towards the heavens, would be the great Lono, god of music and peace. Since Ku was the god of war, all likenesses of him, down to the littlest little tiki, were forbidden to partake in the music, the dancing, and the feasting. The Lono tikis would be honored with garlands of fresh island flowers, serenaded with the finest music, and honored with the fragrant dishes of luaus stretching from shore to shore. It hardly seemed fair. The littlest Ku didn’t even fit in with his larger Ku brethren, all of them six feet tall or higher, with jagged shark teeth. They would be hanging out on the shoreline, their snarling faces pointed toward the ocean, waiting for enemy boats. While he, sad and pathetic, would be shunned to his lonely bamboo grove where all night long he would listen as the Lono tikis had their fun.
If only the littlest Ku had a headdress, then maybe…
Suddenly a thought occurred to him. Wrestling with nearby bamboo stalks and jungle vines, the thought began to take shape, until, in the island moonlight, he stood tall and proud.
No longer was he the littlest Ku tiki, but a proud Lono!
Let the festival begin!!!

TIki Concept /constructed and carved by KIRBY
Story Written by Tom Morgan aka Trader Tom

That would make a great kids book! well done guys!

Amy

T

Great story!

By the way, Kirby, we had a mini luau this past weekend and the tiki I bought from you last month at the Tonga Hut was a big hit. Everyone commented on how cool he is and of course me and my wife whole-heartedly agreed. We're such proud parents of our tiki!

Yay for Lono brought a tear to my eye! A book with Trader Tom & Kirby art & Illustrations.... ummmmmm.... I think lil' Trader Joe might enjoy that as much as me :D good goin' guys

K
kirby posted on Wed, Sep 23, 2009 5:17 PM

a few years ago I carved a lil tiki named (mr bambooteef)
since then I have been wanting to carve another full bodied tiki using the bamboo teeth again, so here you go..(Da Bamboo koo)its about 5ft..Looks like i need to water those plants though..mahalo...kirby

[ Edited by: kirby 2009-09-23 18:30 ]

Great Idea . I like it alot. I also like haow you sanded the outline of the 2nd one to bring out the edges.

Another very cool carve!

Nice work Kirby! I gots me a greeeeeeeeaaaaaaat big tiki w/ bamboo teef on the side of the boutiki. Did you see it while you were here? It's got a window in it's mouth, er MOUF so i can use electric torches in it at nite. I'd like to see your new guy lit up at nite.

K
kirby posted on Thu, Sep 24, 2009 8:06 AM

thanks guys..Hodad I did notice that big ass tiki outside your shop, and its great,I will have to take some night shots when I get a chance..

T

Another outstanding carve, Kirby! Love the bamboo teeth & the tiki as a whole. You are a true carving wonder!

T

Neat. I like the red zig-zag outline of the mouth. Nice touch.

The use of red for the eyes and lips are perfect!
great elaboration of a previous theme,Kirbs!
Bamboo Teef are the way to go!
great look!

K

very nice Kirbs.

B

Kirby, I Love this Bamboo kick you are on, it really fits in well with your cool carvings. You are Never afraid to do something different, ant that gets you big respect here!

B
BigToe posted on Fri, Oct 2, 2009 7:58 PM

tee hee...loving the boo koo!!!

K
kirby posted on Mon, Jan 25, 2010 5:09 PM

So going along with the business model of space balls the movie, I started with "Rumpus Room the Tiki Pendant", and know I have "Rumpus Room the Painting" and "Rumpus Room the 3ft Tiki"and im currently working on the "Rumpus Room the Frame"(for the painting), and hopefuly in the near future "Rumpus Room the Mug".with many many more Rumpus Room swag yet to be thought up..
mahalos kirby
"Rumpus Room the pendant"

"Rumpus Room the Painting"

"Rumpus Room the 3ft Tiki"

[ Edited by: kirby 2010-01-25 17:11 ]

G
GROG posted on Mon, Jan 25, 2010 5:29 PM

Nice carve, Kirbs.

Cool!

S

Nice kirbs!

Marketing genius!

Nice art Kirby!

Good to see the sun out there too!

All looks really good, Kirby.

K
kirby posted on Tue, Jan 26, 2010 9:00 AM

Thanks Dudes!!!

you are FAST,Kirbs!
All that creative energy just busting out the seams!
Rumpus Room-the Tiki
turned out PERFECTLY PERFECT!
Kudos!

T

Very cool. Love the drink and the barrel.

H

Nice finishing touches Kirby, it looks great.

KIRBY ART makes my eyeballs sweat, toasts my cockles and envelops my soul like a big warm snuggy... :D

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

*Edited to sponge off the slippery wet surface...CAUTION!

[ Edited by: TravelingJones 2010-01-27 16:51 ]

K
kirby posted on Thu, Jan 28, 2010 7:33 PM

jonesy I thought we were gonna keep our cockle toasting private...
thanks dudes!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 1172 replies