Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

The Dead Thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1,605 replies

One of few authors who looked at something from more than one direction. In turn one would come away with that same gift. The world is a bit smaller.

Don Ho passed away. Aloha Don.

Yes.....very sad....Good-Bye Tiny Bubbles. A real legacy lost. :(

Kitty Carlisle Hart, a mainstay on Broadway and in the opera, television and film, died Tuesday night in her Manhattan apartment. She was 96.

Boris Yeltsin, who oversaw the demise of the Soviet Union and became Russia's first president, has died aged 76, the Kremlin says.

And with any luck he'll be back as a zombie on Halloween.-

Monster Mash' singer Pickett dies at 69

Bobby "Boris" Pickett, whose dead-on Boris Karloff impression propelled the Halloween anthem to the top of the charts in 1962, making him one of pop music's most enduring one-hit wonders, has died of leukemia. He was 69.

Pickett, dubbed "The Guy Lombardo of Halloween," died Wednesday night at the West Los Angeles Veterans Hospital, said his longtime manager, Stuart Hersh. His daughter, Nancy, and his sister, Lynda, were at Pickett's bedside.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070426/ap_en_ot/obit_pickett

J

That's two Borises in three days! Note to Bora Boris: you may not want to leave your apartment for a few days! :wink:

G
GROG posted on Thu, Apr 26, 2007 3:08 PM

On 2007-04-26 14:56, JenTiki wrote:
That's two Borises in three days! Note to Bora Boris: you may not want to leave your apartment for a few days! :wink:

If you've ever seen his stand up routine then you know Bora Boris has died many times before, so he's used to it by now.

J

Don't shoot me for this Grog, as it is a very sincere response to your post ...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"and remember....if you drink and drive,please don't take our matches......" :lol:

Ouch! :lol:

Not a Boris.....

Jack Valenti, Hollywood's film industry lobbyist who developed the modern US movie ratings system, has died aged 85.

Trader Vic's Bev. Hills?

They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot
With a pink hotel, a boutique
And a swinging hot spot
Dont it always seem to go
That you dont know what youve got
Till its gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

They took all the trees
Put em in a tree museum
And they charged the people
A dollar and a half just to see em
Till its gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

Hey farmer farmer
Put away that d.d.t. now
Give me spots on my apples
But leave me the birds and the bees
Please!
Till its gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

Late last night
I heard the screen door slam
And a big yellow taxi
Took away my old man
Till its gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

spot on Ben :(

J

Saxophonist Tommy Newsom -- Saturday, April 28, 2007

"Tommy Newsom, a clarinetist, saxophonist and the assistant music director on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson from 1962 to 1992, died of cancer on Saturday at 78."

Jazz Times Article

MA

Sad to hear about Tommy N. He was a smart FUNNY!, man. His personality showed up in his horn playing. If your a jazz fan like me, you heard all his adlibbing while singing an old standard. It did nothing but bring things up a level. Blow on Tommy, show Gabe a "what for"!

Actress Janet Leigh, best known for her role in classic thriller Psycho, has died at the age of 77.
\

Oh no...goodbye Janet....no shower will ever be the same.

Samoa's King Malietoa Tanumafili II
January 4, 1913 - May 11, 2007

New Zealand Herald World News

Leading US conservative evangelist Rev Jerry Falwell has died in hospital in Lynchburg, Virginia, after being found unconscious in his office. Doctors gave Rev Falwell emergency treatment at Lynchburg General Hospital but could not revive him.

MA

Somehow, the world is just a bit brighter. One of the major boneheads in life. I cant believe how many people bought his constant line of pure crap! Glad hes gone....................sorry if this offends anyone here, I still love YOU guys!

He was also very much against foofoo drinks with umbrellas and aloha shirts.

Jerry, be sure to give Satan the finger when you get to your new home. ]:->

Or a different take. "All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved."

MT

Didn't he die of syphilis?

On 2007-05-17 16:46, Mai Tai wrote:
Didn't he die of syphilis?

No. The coroner has ruled death was caused by...Autoerotic Asphixiation.

Disney Legend Fulton Burley
1923-2007

Provided the voice of the parrot, Michael, in the Enchanted Tiki Room.

Performed in the original Golden Horseshoe Revue for 25 years.

Disney Legend Fulton Burley

Laughingplace tribute

[ Edited by: King Bushwich the 33rd 2007-05-23 15:18 ]

Songwriter Ben Weisman
Nov 16, 1921 to May 20, 2007

Wrote songs for Elvis Presley including "Rock-a-Hula" for the movie "Blue Hawaii".

BBC News - Ben Weisman

P

Died yesterday:

Charles Nelson Reilly

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/05/28/reilly.obit.ap/

And died earlier this month...but don't recall seeing it posted here:

Wally Schirra

An original Mercury 7 astronaut and the only astronaut to fly in all 3 Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo programs. Also famous for his memorable and oft-quoted "...build by the lowest bidder" line.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/space/05/03/schirra.obit/index.html

[ Edited by: PremEx 2007-05-28 09:26 ]

On 2007-05-28 09:26, PremEx wrote:
Died yesterday:
Charles Nelson Reilly

No!!! Who's going to voice 'The Dirty Bubble' on Spongebob now!?!?! Dammit...

N

Pamela Low, created flavor for Cap'n Crunch, dies at 79
June 4, 2007

NEW LONDON, N.H. --Pamela Low, who was credited with developing the flavored coating for Cap'n Crunch cereal, has died, her brother said. She was 79.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/new_hampshire/articles/2007/06/04/pamela_low_created_flavor_for_capn_crunch_dies_at_79/

Lets all remember her with a big batch of Planet Hollywood's Famous Capt n Crunch Chicken
Ingredients:
2 cups Captain Crunch Cereal
1 1/2 cup Corn flakes
1 Egg
1 cup Milk
1 cup All purpose flour
1 teaspoon Onion powder
1 teaspoon Garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon Black pepper
2 pounds Chicken breast cut in 1-oz. tenders
11 Vegetable oil for frying

Directions:

Coarsely grind or crush the two cereals and set aside. Beat the egg with milk and set aside. Stir together the flour, onion and garlic powders and black pepper. Set this aside also. Dip the chicken pieces into the seasoned flour. Move around to coat well, then shake off the excess flour. Dip into the egg wash, coating well, then dip into the cereal mixture, coating well. Heat oil in a large heavy skillet to 325 degrees. Drop coated chicken tenders carefully into the hot oil and cook until golden brown and fully cooked, 3 to 5 minutes depending on size. Drain and serve immediately with Creole mustard sauce.

Adios, Mr. Wizard.

LOS ANGELES — Don Herbert, who as television's "Mr. Wizard" introduced generations of young viewers to the joys of science, died Tuesday. He was 89. Herbert, who had bone cancer, died at his suburban Bell Canyon home, said his son-in-law, Tom Nikosey.

"He really taught kids how to use the thinking skills of a scientist," said former colleague Steve Jacobs. He worked with Herbert on a 1980s show that echoed the original 1950s "Watch Mr. Wizard" series, which became a fond baby boomer memory.

In "Watch Mr. Wizard," which was produced from 1951 to 1964 and received a Peabody Award in 1954, Herbert turned TV into an entertaining classroom. On a simple, workshop-like set, he demonstrated experiments using household items.

"He modeled how to predict and measure and analyze. ... The show today might seem slow but it was in-depth and forced you to think along," Jacobs said. "You were learning about the forces of nature."

Herbert encouraged children to duplicate experiments at home, said Jacobs, who recounted serving as a behind-the-scenes "science sidekick" to Herbert on the '80s "Mr. Wizard's World" that aired on the Nickelodeon channel.

When Jacobs would reach for beakers and flasks, Herbert would remind him that science didn't require special tools.

"'You could use a mayonnaise jar for that,'" Jacobs recalled being chided by Herbert. "He tried to bust the image of scientists and that science wasn't just for special people and places."

Herbert's place in TV history was acknowledged by later stars. When "Late Night with David Letterman" debuted in 1982, Herbert was among the first-night guests.

Born in Waconia, Minn., Herbert was a 1940 graduate of LaCrosse State Teachers College and served as a U.S. Army Air Corps pilot during World War II. He worked as an actor, model and radio writer before starting "Watch Mr. Wizard" in Chicago on NBC.

The show moved to New York after several years.

He is survived by six children and stepchildren and by his second wife, Norma, his son-in-law said. A private funeral service was planned.

Nellie Lutcher, a singer and pianist who had a string of rhythm-and-blues hits in the late 1940s and continued performing into the early 1990s, died last Friday (June 8th) in Los Angeles. She was 94.

Liz Claiborne died yesterday. Liz Claiborne Inc. was the first company founded by a woman to be listed on the Fortune 500. Plus, she always wore the stylin' glasses.

Saxophone player Homer Louis "Boots" Randolph,
June 3, 1927 to July 2, 2007

Best known for "Yakety Sax" which was heard on Benny Hill's TV show.

As a session musician, he played on Elvis Presley's "Return to Sender," Roy Orbison's "Oh, Pretty Woman," Brenda Lee's "Rockin' Round the Christmas Tree" and "I'm Sorry," REO Speedwagon's "Little Queenie," Al Hirt's "Java" and other songs including ones by Buddy Holly and Johnny Cash.

Yahoo News Boots Randolph

Boots Randolph Official Site

[ Edited by: king bushwich the 33rd 2007-07-05 09:14 ]

Bill Pinkney, Last Surviving, Original Drifter, Dead at 81

(Pappy's editorial comment: Depending on how you count, THIRTY men comprised the Drifters during their chart history. The group "survived" having ALL the members fired and replaced by what was essentially the Five Crowns to become the Ben E. King Drifters)

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. — Bill Pinkney, the last survivor of the original members of the musical group The Drifters, has died. He was 81.

Pinkney was found dead Wednesday at the Hilton Daytona Beach Oceanfront Resort, Daytona Beach Police spokesman Jimmie Flynt said. The death was not considered suspicious, he said.

Pinkney was scheduled to perform for U.S. Independence Day festivities there.

The Drifters, whose hits include "Under the Boardwalk," "Up on the Roof," and "Save the Last Dance For Me," still performed Wednesday night. An announcement about Pinkney's death was made after the show, said the group's publicist, Donnie Lowery.

Pinkney, born in Dalzell, S.C., was not with The Drifters when they recorded their biggest hits. He left in the band in 1958 because of an argument over cash. His distinctive bass voice can be heard on the group's version of the holiday classic "White Christmas."

Even though he left the group, Pinkney didn't let go of The Drifters' name. He fought for laws allowing performers or bands to claim an affiliation with a classic group like The Drifters or The Coasters only if at least one member recorded with the original group.

The Drifters were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1988.

Pinkney was a World War II veteran and pitched for the New York Blue Sox of the Negro Baseball League in the late 1940s and early '50s.

Former Forst Lady, Lady Bird Johnson, dead at 94.

Buck Brown, 71, Playboy Cartoonist, Dies

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: July 13, 2007
CHICAGO, July 12 (AP) — Robert (Buck) Brown, who created Playboy magazine’s famously naughty Granny cartoon character, died here on July 2. He was 71.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/13/arts/design/13brown.html?ref=obituaries

I hope Granny gets more up there than down here.

Tammy Faye Messner, who earlier this week took her battle with cancer public, died Saturday 7/21/07. She was 65.

Messner appeared on "Larry King Live" Thursday to talk about her inoperable cancer. She told King that she trusts God with her life.

"I talk to God every single day, and I say, `God, my life is in your hands, and I trust you with me,"' the former televangelist said.

It was King who broke the news of Messner's death Saturday.

During the Thursday interview, Messner appeared emaciated and spoke in a raspy voice. She said she had been having trouble keeping food down and weighed only 65 pounds.

She was diagnosed with colon cancer in 1996 and announced in 2004 that the disease had spread to her lungs.

Messner divorced televangelist Jim Bakker in 1992, while he was serving a sentence for financial fraud. The couple had founded a Christian retreat in Fort Mill, S.C., and built a multimillion-dollar evangelism empire.

Messner and her husband Joe lived in Kansas City, Mo. at the time of her death. She married Joe Messner after divorcing preacher Jim Bakker. The couple moved from Charlotte, N.C., built what she called her "dream home" in Kansas City.

Messner stopped receiving cancer treatments in May and had undergone hospice care in her home since then.

K

I remember Tammy Faye from the PTL Club back in the 80's. I usually let the religious shows fly right by when channel surfing, but those eyelashes made me do a double take & I stuck around to watch. I got such a kick out of Tammy it was almost worth putting up with all those other dopes on the show.

At the time I suspected she'd taken a few happy pills before the cameras started rolling & it turns out that was the case. Nevertheless, unlike 99% of the TV preachers, she always struck me as being 100% genuine.

One day they were having a panel discussion on how to keep the romance in your marriage. Tammy started telling everyone about the time when she & Jim were in college (BEFORE they were married) and Jim stopped the elevator between floors. We never got to hear the details because Jim turned white as a sheet and started shushing her and practically had to physically restrain her to get her to stop talking.

I'm going to miss her. I don't think the dear old girl had a phony bone in her body.

Legendary film-maker Ingmar Bergman, one of the key figures in modern cinema, has died at the age of 89. His 60-year career spanned intense classics like Cries & Whispers, The Seventh Seal and Wild Strawberries.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6921960.stm

Broadcaster Tom Snyder Dies At 71

Talk show host Tom Snyder, whose smoke-filled interviews were a staple of late night television, has died after a struggle with leukemia. He was 71.

MT

Football Hall Of Fame Coach Bill Walsh dies at age 75. He had been battling leukemia for at least the past three years. Not only was he an outstanding coach that basically invented the entire "West Coast Offense", but he was one hell of a great human being. In a statement by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell - "He taught all of us not only about football but also about life and how it takes teamwork for any of us to succeed as individuals." Rest in peace on that great grid-iron in the sky, Bill.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-obit-walsh&prov=ap&type=lgns

Will Schaefer, TV Show Composer

MILWAUKEE (AP) - Will H. Schaefer, a composer whose music accompanied hit television shows such as "I Dream of Jeannie" and "The Flintstones," has died in California, a family friend said Wednesday. He was 78.

Schaefer died of cancer Saturday in a nursing home in Cathedral City near Palm Springs, Calif., said Danny Flahive.

The Wisconsin-native wrote background music, which is different from theme songs, for such TV shows as "The Flying Nun," "Hogan's Heroes," "The AristoCats," "The Jetsons," "The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie" and "The Tonight Show" with Johnny Carson.

He also composed and recorded music for more than 700 commercials, including ads for companies such as Ford, Chevrolet and Pillsbury. He also reworked the song "It's a Small World" for Disney to give it an international flavor corresponding to different rooms in the theme park ride.

His professional accolades included three Clio Awards for his work on commercials. He also was nominated for an Emmy Award for his score to the Walt Disney TV movie "The Skytrap," and for a Pulitzer Prize for his concert piece "The Sound of America," commissioned for the 1976 bicentennial celebration.

"He was brilliant. Even toward the end of his life, he was writing for a 100-piece orchestra of the Budapest symphony," Flahive said.

During the Korean War, Schaefer was the arranger and assistant conductor with The U.S. Fifth Army Band stationed at Fort Sheridan, Ill., where he wrote music for "Radio Free Europe" and "The Voice of America."

Schaefer was born in Kenosha, Wis., and had lived in Rancho Mirage, Calif. He divorced in 1984 after a 20-year marriage and did not have children.

[ Edited by: bamalamalu 2007-07-30 21:48 ]

Italian film director Michelangelo Antonioni, renowned for his 1966 release Blow-Up, has died aged 94.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6923785.stm

(First Bergman, now Antonioni. Tough week for the Art House Crowd)

Singer and songwriter Lee Hazlewood, best known for his work with Nancy Sinatra, has died of cancer, aged 78.
Hazlewood wrote and produced many of Sinatra's most famous hits, including These Boots Were Made For Walkin' and Some Velvet Morning.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1605 replies