Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

The Dead Thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1,605 replies

r.i.p. steve mcnair, one tough s.o.b.

R.I.P. Ron Asheton. The 1st time I heard the Stooges' Metallic K.O. LP I thought Iggy called him "Rock Action"! He'll always be ROCK ACTION to me.

http://www.myspace.com/ron_asheton

US TV news legend Cronkite dies.
Mr Cronkite was a trusted voice in a turbulent period for the US The former US TV newscaster Walter Cronkite, known to millions as "the most trusted man in America", has died at the age of 92.

On 2009-07-01 21:40, RevBambooBen wrote:

Patrick Swayze didn't die did he?

Maybe his beloved horse did.

Zuma the dog. Age six.

A friends dog passed today catching frisbee at Dog Beach in OB doing one of the of she loved best.

Many humans tried to help. Her dad gave CPR while the life gaurds administered O2.
Please give your support/prayers and good vibes to Zuma and her family.

Jeez it is amazing what makes ya cry.

Bad month for the Oscar Meyer Company. first
Oscar Mayer dies at 95

Then this

This has to be the ultimate Freudian symbolism

Oscar Mayer Wienermobile crashes into Wis. home

On 2009-07-01 22:53, marquee6 wrote:
Mollie Sudgen who played Mrs. Slocombe on the show "Are You Being Served" Died July 1, 2009. She will be missed, though I am a bit worried about her pussy.

..I know who'll look after her elderly pussy, its been known to dribble quite a bit and the last time the vicar tried to give it a stroke it almost bit his fingers off and she also left an old cat

Gordon Waller of ’60s musical duo Peter and Gordon

June 4, 1945 - July 17, 2009

Official Gordon Waller webpage
Texarkana Gazette: Gordon Waller

-John "Marmaduke" Dawson, founded New Riders of the Purple Sage in 1969 with David Nelson and Jerry Garcia
June 16, 1945-July 21, 2009
New York Times: John Dawson
Official New Riders of the Purple Sage

-Gidget, the Taco Bell Chihuahua

M

Heinz Edelmann, the illustrator of the movie "Yellow Submarine" died 21 July, 2009. What I want to know is how Peter Max usually gets credit for "Yellow Submarine? He had nothing to do with it. Anybody??

RIP Heinz Edelmann.

On 2009-07-24 10:04, King Bushwich the 33rd wrote:
-John "Marmaduke" Dawson, founded New Riders of the Purple Sage in 1969 with David Nelson and Jerry Garcia
June 16, 1945-July 21, 2009
New York Times: John Dawson
Official New Riders of the Purple Sage

Oh, no! That's terrible news. I was never a fan of the Dead, but I have all of NRPS's albums. One of those bands that should have made it bigger than they did. I will conduct a NRPS vinyl marathon in the lounge, this evening. RIP Mr. Dawson & thanks for the music!

R.I.P. Gidget

Gidget the Chihuahua, whose Taco Bell commercials made her a star, has died. She was 15.

The owner of Studio Animal Services in Castaic says Gidget suffered a massive stroke late Tuesday at her trainer's home in Santa Clarita and had to be euthanized.

Gidget was the sassy mascot in Taco Bell commercials from 1997 to 2000. While other dogs had bit parts, it was her bug-eyed, big-eared face that was seen pronouncing "Yo quiero Taco Bell," Spanish for "I want Taco Bell," in a male voice dubbed by Argentine actor Carlos Alazraqui.

I love these little dogs. They're not all timid little, yappy ankle bitters. My Chihuahua Rocky (short for Rocket J. Squirrel) is a funny, smart, gregarious and friendly dog that loves to go to Dog Beach (O.B. San Diego) and play with the other dogs (his best friend is a female Boxer), love his fam and spread the mana.

BK

Today, we lost one of Rockabilly's greatest. Billy Lee Riley succombed to cancer. His wax will be spinning in my lounge, tonight, for sure.
Godspeed, my friend. Thanks for the kickass tunes!

A

NEW YORK - Writer-director John Hughes, Hollywood’s youth impresario of the 1980s and ’90s who captured and cornered the teen and pre-teen market with such favorites as “Home Alone,” “The Breakfast Club” and “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off,” died Thursday, a spokeswoman said. He was 59.

Hughes died of a heart attack during a morning walk in Manhattan, Michelle Bega said. He was in New York to visit family.

A native of Lansing, Mich., who later moved to suburban Chicago and set much of his work there, Hughes rose from ad writer to comedy writer to silver screen champ with his affectionate and idealized portraits of teens, whether the romantic and sexual insecurity of “Sixteen Candles,” or the J.D. Salinger-esque rebellion against conformity in “The Breakfast Club.”

Hughes’ ensemble comedies helped make stars out of Molly Ringwald, Anthony Michael Hall, Ally Sheedy and many other young performers. He also scripted the phenomenally popular “Home Alone,” which made little-known Macaulay Culkin a sensation as the 8-year-old accidentally abandoned by his vacationing family, and wrote or directed such hits as “National Lampoon’s Vacation,” “Pretty in Pink,” “Planes, Trains & Automobiles” and “Uncle Buck.”

Other actors who got early breaks from Hughes included John Cusack (“Sixteen Candles”), Judd Nelson (“The Breakfast Club”), Steve Carell (“Curly Sue”) and Lili Taylor (“She’s Having a Baby”).

As Hughes advanced into middle age, his commercial touch faded and, in Salinger style, he increasingly withdrew from public life. His last directing credit was in 1991, for “Curly Sue,” and he wrote just a handful of scripts over the past decade. He was rarely interviewed or photographed.

Musician Willy DeVille, who founded the group Mink DeVille
8/27/53 - 8/7/09

Los Angeles Times: Willy DeVille

Official Willy DeVille website

On 2009-08-09 18:00, King Bushwich the 33rd wrote:
Musician Willy DeVille, who founded the group Mink DeVille
8/27/53 - 8/7/09

"founder of punk group Mink DeVille"...Willy must be spinning in his grave. I remember the first interview I read with him, he was asked if his music is punk and "are you a punk?". Willy's response was "Hell no I ain't no punk. A punk is a guy that gets chased home from school every day. A punk is a guy that gets raped in jail. Don't call me a punk!"

WBCN.

(and wow, just saw about Willy DeVille)

Bruce Rossmeyer
Elvis bike builder
One of the nation's largest Harley-Davidson dealers
May 28, 1943 - July 30, 2009
was killed in a motorcycle crash in Wyoming on his way to the Sturgis, S.D., motorcycle rally.

Bruce Rossmeyer Elvis Harleys
Official Bruce Rossmeyer
Bike Week: Bruce Rossmeyer

S

Les Paul...

Guitar Legend Les Paul, Dies at Age 94
(excerpts)
"WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. - Les Paul, the guitarist and inventor who changed the course of music with the electric guitar and multitrack recording and had a string of hits, many with wife Mary Ford, died on Thursday. He was 94.

"According to Gibson Guitar, Paul died of complications from pneumonia at White Plains Hospital. His family and friends were by his side..."
"...As an inventor, Paul helped bring about the rise of rock 'n' roll and multitrack recording, which enables artists to record different instruments at different times, sing harmony with themselves, and then carefully balance the "tracks" in the finished recording."
(article continues)

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2009-08-13 09:40 ]

Had to add this...
In the 40’s after a bad-ass car accident - his right elbow was shattered and the doctors had to rebuild it in a set position…he had them construct it at his optimum guitar picking angle (or so I've been told)…cause he’s the man….
RIP To the Man.

[ Edited by: drgoat456 2009-08-13 10:01 ]

Godspeed Les. Thanks for the killer axe!

Virginia Davis of Walt Disney’s Alice Comedies
December 31, 1918-August 15, 2009

In 1923, Virginia became Walt's first human star, appearing in the first 13 titles of his "Alice Comedies" series, which was an innovative blend of live-action and animation on film.

The comedies - one-reel (5- to 10-minute) low-budget projects - featured simple plots about the adventures of a live girl in Cartoonland.

Disney Legends: Virginia Davis

Mice Age: Virginia Davis

On 2009-08-17 23:35, King Bushwich the 33rd wrote:
Virginia Davis of Walt Disney’s Alice Comedies
December 31, 1918-August 15, 2009

Virginia Davis, Disney icon forever. RIP:

Another Kennedy bites the dust.

Here's a Tiki cheers to the Kennedys'!

• Hong Kong actor Shing Fui-on
    2/1/1955 - 8/27/2009
    Has repeatedly appeared in supporting roles (often as villains) in Hong Kong movies

Hong Kong Movie Data Base: Shing Fui-on

• Songwriter Ellie Greenwich
    10/23/1940 - 8/26/2009
    Wrote classic pop songs as Chapel of Love,River Deep, Mountain High and Be My Baby with Phil Spector

USA Today: Ellie Greenwich

Ellie Greenwich official webpage

RR

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/03/world/europe/03jackson.html?_r=2

Michael Jackson, 65, Beer Critic and Author, Is Dead

Published: September 3, 2007
LONDON, Sept. 2 (AP) — Michael Jackson, a leading beer critic who helped start a renaissance of interest in beer and breweries worldwide in the 1970s, was found dead on Thursday at his home in West London. He was 65.

The cause was a heart attack, said Paddy Gunningham, his partner. She said that despite having Parkinson’s disease he had continued writing and traveling, and that he had planned to write a book about the disease.

Mr. Jackson especially loved Belgian brews, which his books “The Great Beers of Belgium” and “The World Guide to Beer” introduced to many export markets, including the United States.

By identifying beers by their flavors and styles, and by pairing them with particular foods and dishes, he also gave impetus to the North American microbrewery movement.

His television documentary series, “The Beer Hunter,” a title that popularized his nickname, was filmed around the world and shown in 15 countries.

Mr. Jackson was a beer critic for more than 30 years, writing in newspapers and gastronomic magazines, holding seminars, giving speeches and appearing on talk shows. His many books about beer and whiskeys were published in 18 languages.

He is survived by Ms. Gunningham; a stepdaughter, Sam Hopkins; a sister, Heather Campbell; and two grandchildren.

On his Web site, Mr. Jackson acknowledged that his familiar name often led to confusion. “Hello, my name is Michael Jackson,” it said last week. “No, not that Michael Jackson, but I am on a world tour. My tour is in pursuit of exceptional beer. That’s why they call me the Beer Hunter.”

MN

On 2009-09-04 14:44, Rob Roy wrote:

Published: September 3, 2007
LONDON, Sept. 2 (AP) — Michael Jackson, a leading beer critic who helped start a renaissance of interest in beer and breweries worldwide in the 1970s, was found dead on Thursday at his home in West London. He was 65.

Mr. Jackson especially loved Belgian brews, which his books “The Great Beers of Belgium” and “The World Guide to Beer” introduced to many export markets, including the United States.

Better late than never. I hope it wasn't Belgian beer that caused the heart attack.

NYT: Jim Carroll, poet and punk rocker, dead at 60

34 mins ago
NEW YORK – Jim Carroll, the poet and punk rocker who wrote "The Basketball Diaries," died Friday. He was 60.

He died from a heart attack at his home in Manhattan, his ex-wife Rosemary Carroll told the New York Times.

In the 1970s, Carroll was a fixture of the burgeoning downtown New York art scene, where he mixed with artists such as Andy Warhol, Patti Smith, Larry Rivers and Robert Mapplethorpe. His life was shaped by drug use, which he wrote about extensively.

Carroll also published several poetry collections, while his 1980 album, "Catholic Boy," has been hailed as a landmark punk record, and he became known for one of its songs, "People Who Died."

But it was "The Basketball Diaries," his autobiographical tale of life as a sports star at Trinity, an elite private high school in Manhattan, that brought him his widest audience. The son of a bar owner, Carroll attended the school on a basketball scholarship.

The book, which began life as a journal, was first published in 1978 and then became even more popular, particularly on college campuses, when it was issued as a mass-market paperback two years later. A 1995 movie version starred Leonardo DiCaprio.

His poetry career started even earlier. Carroll was in his teens when he first received recognition for his poems, especially "Organic Trains" in 1967 and then "4 Ups and 1 Down" in 1970. Among his other works are collections such as "The Book of Nods" (1986), "Fear of Dreaming" (1993) and "Void of course: Poems 1994-1997" (1998).

Carroll left New York in 1973 and moved to California, where he met his future wife Rosemary Klemfuss. They later divorced.

It was Smith who encouraged his music, and he formed the Jim Carroll Band. Among his other albums were the less successful "Dry Dreams" (1982) and "I Write Your Name" (1984).

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090914/ap_en_mu/us_obit_jim_carroll

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_obit_swayze
Patrick Swayze
He's a real Ghost now.

Point Preak, Roadhouse, The Outsiders....good stuff. Rip, man!

heh heh How did the "Judges" keep a straight face?
Swayze will be missed.

Mary Travers(sp?) of Peter, Paul and Mary has passed. I was able to see them.

'Laugh-In' actor Henry Gibson dies at 73

On 2009-09-16 20:07, KiltedTiki wrote:
'Laugh-In' actor Henry Gibson dies at 73

"I hate Illinois Nazis." - Jake Blues.

--Blues Drummer Sam Carr
1926-9/21/2009
Picayune Item: Sam Carr

Carr had backed big names like Sonny Boy Williamson II and Buddy Guy

--Robert Ginty
Actor, producer and director
November 14, 1948 – September 21, 2009
Boston Globe: Robert Ginty

Starred in the 1980 film “The Exterminator’’ .
In the late 1990s, performed producing and directing chores on such shows as China Beach (1988), Xena: Warrior Princess (1995), Nash Bridges (1996), Charmed (1998) and Tracker (2001).

Robert Ginty was TJ in Baa Baa Black Sheep,(Black Sheep Squadron), one of my favorite shows, which I've recntly rediscoverd on the Retro Channel, along with Adam 12.

Lucy Vodden, who provided the inspiration for the Beatles' song "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" has died after a long battle with lupus.
She was 46.

Honolulu Advertiser: Lucy Vodden

American photographer Irving Penn
June 16, 1917 – October 7, 2009

Chicago Tribune: Irving Penn

Irving Penn's younger brother is movie director, Arthur Penn

Brendan Mullen, the founder of the Masque punk rock club in Hollywood that helped launch that vibrantly anarchic music scene on the West Coast in the late 1970s, died Monday (10/12) after suffering a massive stroke two days earlier. He was 60.

X Myspace blog: Brendan Mullen

L.A. Time: Brendan Mullen

Capt Lou Albano

http://hittheropes.com/wrestlingarticles/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=79:rip-capt-lou-albano-&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=29

Sad, buy I got a chuckle out of that this was first reported on a site by a wrestler named "Paul Bearer".

Al Martino has left us at 82. Another great lounge singer bites the dust. RIP "Johnny Fontaine".

Actor Joseph Wiseman, who played villain Dr No in the first James Bond film of the same name has died aged 91

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1605 replies