Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

The Dead Thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1,605 replies

Everytime I post something in Bilge, someone dies? You mean everytime I put a picture in photo association, someone dies? I do not want to be responsible for someones death. I will never post in Bilge again, OK?

But does that mean if I never post in Bilge, nobody will ever die? So everybody who is alive now will live forever because I will never post in Bilge again? But babies will continue being born and the earth will become unbearably overpopulated and life will be miserable? I do not want to be responsible for that either.

What do I do? WHAT DO I DO?

Oh, great, this post counts as another post to Bilge so that must mean someone died because of it. I am going to turn myself in.

[->>King Bushwich 33rd

Former Mao translator, diplomat Huang dies at 97

http://www.philly.com/philly/wires/ap/news/world/20101124_ap_formermaotranslatordiplomathuangdiesat97.html

His death has been attributed to a King Bushwich The 33 Bilge post.

[ Edited by: naugatiki 2010-11-24 15:41 ]

HJ

Listening a lot lately to definitely-not-Tiki but legendary...

...singer Patsy Cline.

1963, March 6, small plane crash.

Good Heaven, but that woman could sing. 'Would have loved to have heard her do "Aloha Oe"....

On 2010-11-24 14:59, King Bushwich the 33rd wrote:
Everytime I post something in Bilge, someone dies? You mean everytime I put a picture in photo association, someone dies? I do not want to be responsible for someones death. I will never post in Bilge again, OK?

But does that mean if I never post in Bilge, nobody will ever die? So everybody who is alive now will live forever because I will never post in Bilge again? But babies will continue being born and the earth will become unbearably overpopulated and life will be miserable? I do not want to be responsible for that either.

What do I do? WHAT DO I DO?

Oh, great, this post counts as another post to Bilge so that must mean someone died because of it. I am going to turn myself in.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
You are quicker than the rest of us to post deaths, it's almost like you have your finger on the pulse of the nation (so to speak)

or lack of pulse you mean,
:wink:

Jeff(btd)

Industrial Exotica fan Peter "Sleazy" Christopherson from Throbbing Gristle Dies
http://www.factmag.com/2010/11/25/throbbing-gristles-peter-sleazy-christopherson-dies-aged-55/

On 2010-11-24 15:41, naugatiki wrote:
Former Mao translator, diplomat Huang dies at 97
His death has been attributed to a King Bushwich The 33 Bilge post.

LOL, Good one, that is funny, it was...

oh wait...this is Bilge, isn't it?

D'oh!

TM

This one is not so funny....RIP Leslie Neilsen!

Oh dear...just heard. So sad...he was such an awesome actor...one of my favorite comedians...he will surely be missed but leaves a great body of work to remember him by. RIP

Leslie Nielson, “You're excited? You should feel my nipples!”

Man, what a bummer.

G
GROG posted on Mon, Nov 29, 2010 10:47 AM

Irvin Kershner, who directed the Star Wars sequel "The Empire Strikes Back" and the James Bond film "Never Say Never Again," has died at age 87.

On 2010-11-28 19:25, lucas vigor wrote:
...RIP Leslie Neilsen!

Surely you can't be serious...

Nice Beaver

such a bummer.

B

Totally bummed out about Nielson - and don't call me Shirley!

H

Photo of Leslie Nielson at Disneyland in 1961.

R.I.P.

J

You guys can remember Leslie Nielson as a "funny man" but to me he set the standard for sci-fi spacemen long before Capt. James T. Kirk showed up.

Here he is with Anne "Honey West" Francis (in "Forbidden Planet")...

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2011-01-03 09:40 ]

H

On 2010-11-29 18:56, JOHN-O wrote:
You guys can remember Leslie Nielson as a "funny man" but to me he set the standard for sci-fi spacemen long before Capt. James T. Kirk showed up.

As Towelie says, "I choose both".

According to a Flipside Fanzine Memorial posting on Facebook, David Arnson Dobbs, the booker at Cathay de Grande in Hollywood, CA and the founder of Raji's has passed away.

S

Captain Beefheart! FUCK.

T
TikiG posted on Fri, Dec 17, 2010 2:38 PM

Just read about Don Van Vliet seconds ago and checked here to see - Swanky already beat me to it.

Sad, sad news although I understand Don has been ill for a time, its still SUCKS.

RIP Captain Beefheart RIP.

HJ

Was e-shopping for DVDs of "Adventures In Paradise" and was reminded, Gardner McKay

...Capt Adam Troy of the schooner Tiki III, exited this realm almost a decade ago....

TK

CNN) -- Steve Landesberg, best known for his role as a cerebral detective on the TV sitcom "Barney Miller," has died of cancer, his agent said. He was 65.

"Steve was a true 'Gentleman,' " Landesberg's agent Jeffrey Leavitt said late Monday, shortly after the actor's death. "Working with Steve was an honor both personally and professionally. ... He will be missed."

J
JOHN-O posted on Mon, Jan 3, 2011 9:36 AM

Anne Francis passed away today at the age of 80.

She was both a 1950's cult icon ("Forbidden Planet") as well as in the mid 1960's ("Honey West").

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.ap.org/forbidden-planet-star-anne-francis-dies-80-ap

RIP Anne.

R. I. P. Pete Postlethwaite

Pete Postlethwaite has passed on.

The acclaimed British actor, best known for indelible roles in such films as In the Name of the Father, The Usual Suspects and Amistad, among many others, died Sunday after a long battle with cancer. He was 64.

Andrew Richardson, a journalist and close friend of Postlethwaite, announced his death today to U.K. media, saying he had died peacefully at a hospital in Shropshire, England, surrounded by his family.

MORE: Blake Edwards dies

With his rough-hewn face and booming voice, Postlethwaite was a commanding presence on the big screen.

After playing small parts on the British stage and TV, Postlethwaite made his first appearance in a Hollywood film in Alien 3. He then went on to costar opposite Daniel Day-Lewis in two films, The Last of the Mohicans and In the Name of the Father, the latter of which earned him an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor for playing Day-Lewis' dying father.

After gaining a slew of new fans as well as praise for his performance as Mr. Kobayashi in Bryan Singer's thriller The Usual Suspects, Tinseltown's hottest directors came calling.

Postlethwaite subsequently appeared in William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet, directed by Baz Luhrmann, and two films for Steven Spielberg, Amistad and The Lost World: Jurassic Park.

Spielberg was so impressed by the grizzled thesp that he once hailed him as "the best actor in the world." Postlethwaite was said to have replied, "I'm sure what Spielberg actually said was, 'The thing about Pete is that he thinks he's the best actor in the world.' "

Postlethwaite originally hoped to be a priest, but he turned to teaching before becoming an actor. He was eventually made an Officer of the Order of the British Empire (O.B.E.).

Other notable credits include his 1988 breakthrough, Distance Voices, Still Lives; 1996's When Saturday Comes, Dragonheart, and James and the Giant Peach; 2001's The Shipping News; 2005's The Constant Gardner; and 2009's The Age of Stupid.

Despite his illness, he also managed to appear in four films this year: Ironclad, Clash of the Titans, Inception and The Town.

Postlethwaite is survived by his wife, Jacqueline, as well as son William and daughter Mary.

Theme park ride designer and builder Wendell “Bud” Hurlbut
died at the age of 93 on Jan 5, 2011

Orange County Register: Bud Hurlbut

At Knott's Berry Farm, he designed and built the Calico Mine Ride and the Timber Mountain Log Ride.

R.I.P David Nelson. The family's together again.

TK

CNN) -- Music producer and promoter Don Kirshner, who found songs for The Monkees to sing and whose live TV rock show helped wean 1970s audiences off lip-synched programming, died Monday in Boca Raton, Florida, his publicist confirmed Tuesday.

Kirshner, 76, died of heart failure, according to Sharon Ellman of the public relations firm Dash Media.

A renowned song publisher and rock producer, Kirshner is best known for managing the songwriting talent behind the successful pop music television series "The Monkees," and for his signature TV program, "Don Kirshner's Rock Concert."

TK

R. Sargent Shriver, who was responsible for launching the U.S. Peace Corps after marrying into the Kennedy family and joining John F. Kennedy's White House, has died, according to his family.

Shriver, whose full name was Robert Sargent Shriver Jr., was 95. He had suffered for years from Alzheimer's disease.

The family released a statement, saying Shriver died Tuesday "surrounded by his five children, five children in-law, and his 19 grandchildren."

Alex Kirst, drummer for The Nymphs and Iggy Pop's band, died following a hit-and-run accident in Cathedral City, Calif. He was 47.

New York Daily News: Alex Kirst

Bummer. Jack laLanne passed.

BERLIN - German movie producer, director and screenplay writer Bernd Eichinger, who produced well-known films "The Neverending Story" and "Downfall," has died. He was 61.

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.ap.org/german-movie-producer-bernd-eichinger-dead-ap

But for me his greatest legacy are those crazy Hitler parodies that have mushroomed on Youtube.

Jan. 16, 2011: Ant Farm co-inventor Milton Levine dies at 97

Mercury News: Milton Levine

JOHN BARRY (famed James Bond composer) passes away...

Famed film and stage composer John Barry passed away yesterday, January 30, of a sudden heart attack at the age of 77. He was best known for composing 11 James Bond soundtracks and helping to brand the 007 series' distinctive style. In a career spanning almost 50 years, Barry received four Grammy Awards and five Academy Awards; two for Born Free, and one each for The Lion in Winter (also won a BAFTA), Out of Africa and Dances with Wolves. Addition films include Midnight Cowboy, Born Free, and Somewhere in Time.

Barry was known for his distinct style which concentrates on strings and use of brass. He was one of the first to employ synthesizers in a film score (On Her Majesty's Secret Service), and to make wide use of pop artists and songs in Midnight Cowboy. Because Barry provided not just the main title theme but the complete soundtrack score, his music often enhanced the critical reception of a film, notably in Midnight Cowboy, Out of Africa, and Dances with Wolves.

One of Barry's best known compositions is the theme for the 1971 TV series The Persuaders!, also known as "The Unlucky Heroes", in which Tony Curtis and Roger Moore were paired as rich playboys solving crimes. The score for the series was composed by Ken Thorne. The theme went on to be a hit single in some European countries and has been re-released on collections of 1970s disco hits. The instrumental recording features Moog synthesizers. Barry also wrote the scores to a number of musicals, including Passion Flower Hotel (lyrics by Trevor Peacock), the successful West End show Billy (lyrics by Don Black) and two Broadway's, The Little Prince and the Aviator and Lolita, My Love, the latter with Alan Jay Lerner as lyricist.

During 2006, Barry was the executive producer on an album entitled Here's to the Heroes by the Australian ensemble The Ten Tenors. The album features a number of songs Barry wrote in collaboration with his lyricist friend, Don Black. Barry and Black also composed one of the songs on Shirley Bassey's 2009 comeback album, The Performance. The song entitled, "Our Time is Now", is the first written by the duo for Bassey since "Diamonds Are Forever".

In November 2008, a 300-page biography, John Barry - The Man With The Midas Touch, by Geoff Leonard, Pete Walker & Gareth Bramley, was published by Redcliffe Press, Bristol.

Maria Schneider
The French actress who was Marlon Brando's co-star in the 1972 film "Last Tango in Paris,"
Mar 27, 1952 - 2011

Huffington Post: Maria Schneider

Surf Photographer LeRoy Grannis | 1917-2011

Daily News: LeRoy Grannis

Z
Zeta posted on Sat, Feb 5, 2011 1:45 PM

Tura Satana R.I.P.
Because heaven need Supervixens too!

That is true Zeta. Sad loss...she looked like she was a hoot!!!

Queen of Psychotronic film Tura Satana (1938-2011)

Although best known as Varla from the film "Faster Pussycat! Kill! Kill!", Satana also once had a guest spot on Tiki ohana TV favorite "Hawaiian Eye."

Here's the New York Times notice: http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/05/tura-satana-cult-actress-is-dead/

Thin Lizzy guitarist Gary Moore
Apr 4, 1952 - Feb 2011

Yahoo! news: Gary Moore

Swedish Actress Lena Nyman
May 23, 1944 – February 4, 2011

Worcester Telegram & Gazette: Lena Nyman

[->>King Bushwich 33rd

Betty Garrett, best known for her TV roles in Laverne & Shirley and All in the Family, has died, according to The Associated Press. She was 91.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/14/AR2011021400002.html?hpid=top

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Betty-Garrett-Dies-1029238.aspx

Not a good week for B movie people, first Tura now

David F. Friedman

http://online.wsj.com/article/AP6c20af4e401342f38ed3d433c0176d5f.html

Actor Kenneth Mars
April 14, 1936 - Feb 12, 2011

Chicago Tribune: Kenneth Mars

Played "Springtime for Hitler" writer Franz Liebkind in "The Producers" and Inspector Kemp in "Young Frankenstein"

T

Jane Russell!

TM

The founding and, then, former bassist of Alice in Chains -- Mike Starr -- has been found dead in a home in Salt Lake City, according to a report first filed by TMZ.com. Police were called to the house at 1:42PM on Tuesday and found controlled substances including Xanex and the painkiller Opana, along with the dead body. Starr was 44.

In 1987, Starr was friends with guitarist Jerry Cantrell and agreed to join his new project with vocalist Layne Staley and drummer Sean Kinney, under the name Alice in Chains. The Seattle-based band was signed to Columbia Records two years later, in 1989, and cashed in on the Seattle grunge movement when it broke in the early '90s, following Nirvana's unexpected, massive success. Suddenly, Alice in Chains was branded as an alternative rock band, instead of the heavy metal machine they first imagined themselves as, and the group scored a hit with the song, 'Would?,' which was featured on the soundtrack to the generation-defining film, 'Singles.'

Starr either quit the band, or else he was fired, in 1993. The official reason for his departure was a lifestyle change. On the record, Starr wanted to spend more time with his family, less on the road, and the split was amicable. Years later, Starr publicly said that, in actuality, he was kicked out due to his drug use, which was spiraling out of control.

In 2010, Starr joined the cast of VH1's reality television series 'Celebrity Rehab' for its third season. The show documented his recovery from heroin addiction and Starr returned to the series the following season as a special guest, appearing as something of a mentor for that season's recovering addicts.

Last month, on February 18, Starr was arrested in Utah on suspicion of felony possession of a controlled substance. We'll update this tragic story as it develops.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1605 replies