Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Waves - St. Clair Shores, Michigan

Pages: 1 2 replies

T

Well, I finally got to Waves, near Grosse Point in Michigan (on Jefferson in St. Clair Shores). Here's a mini review for now...

First off, it took me so long to go cause from the ad, I wasn't expecting much - just a seafood restaurant with a palm frond or 2. But when I walked in the doorway and found myself in dim lighting, flanked by 2 large Moai heads, I knew we made the right dining choice. We picked out our table - a banquette that was under its own little thatched roof and had it's own hanging shell lamp - and ordered the waitresses first suggestion - the Tsunami, which came in a giant fishbowl, served 2. More like SERVED 10! Lots of fun. Wheeee! the place was super cheesy, resplendent with lots of fake palm trees and faux Gaugin murals, and soon a really bad cover band started up -"Iiiiiim coming out so you'd better get this party started!". Grandpa at the next table (80 if he was a day) began dancing with his 50 year old girlfriend (sho looked great in a cowboy hat). The crowd was a bizarre mix of old timers, 21 year old drunken girls, and strange misfit middle management men, cruising for chicks. I have to say, the fact that it was so cheesy made it even funnier. We were laughing through the whole meal. I will post pix to tikifish once I get my server problems fixed... until then, you will just have to imagine the mayhem.

My sum-up? Well, if it's authentic tiki you want, this place isn't for you. But if you don't take life too seriously, and you don't mind being hit on by guys with mullets while surrounded by shell lamps and tikis, go for it!

Looks a lot like Jimmy's Buffet. But with out all the great entertainment.

[ Edited by: Mano Tiki Tia on 2002-05-22 10:51 ]

Pages: 1 2 replies