Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Waldorf Hotel, Vancouver, British Columbia (hotel)

Pages: 1 2 3 117 replies

Thanks for the info. SweetDaddyT, so is it closed for now? I had a trip planned for late August. Never been and gotta see it.

Apparently so, Kilaueakyd. According to Waldorf website, the creative team that has been running the place (the ones who did the reno in 2010) are moving their assets out and vacating the premises on Monday. So the hotel will be closed this summer unless the current owner decides to open it until the new owner (the condo developer) takes possession in September (which seems unlikely, but who knows?)

The condo company has stated they're going to retain the building, but who knows what shape that will take - sports bar? ultra lounge?

Tears are forming in my eyes as I speak.This just came in from the petition site:(

Negotiations between Solterra and Waldorf Productions have broken down. The Waldorf will be shut-down this Sunday.

You can do something right now: Send Solterra a message about what this loss will mean to you.

Solterra needs to know what's being lost >> http://www.genwhymedia.ca/savethewaldorf"

Happily no demolition can happen for four months. No-one wants that anyways.

So Saturday was the last dance. I hope it stays intact when the condos go up. I wonder if the Waldorf group is taking the contents?

G

Heading to VANCOUVER, BC next week.

What's going on with the WALDORF? On their site they still list "Our famous Tahitian Lounge, Polynesian Cabaret Room and Menehune Room are available for private functions and parties." Is it worth a visit to see if I can have a peek around? Are the Leetegs still there?

And of this bit found in an article. Is this bar up and running?
"Other Tiki enthusiasts in Vancouver may be relieved to know that Ms. Schaub and her husband are opening a Tiki bar of their own next month on Main Street."

All/any tiki tips and info appreciated!

On 2013-01-18 20:27, Kilaueakyd wrote:
Tears are forming in my eyes as I speak.This just came in from the petition site:(

Negotiations between Solterra and Waldorf Productions have broken down. The Waldorf will be shut-down this Sunday.

You can do something right now: Send Solterra a message about what this loss will mean to you.

Solterra needs to know what's being lost >> http://www.genwhymedia.ca/savethewaldorf"

Typical: When the first swelling of public protest appears, the local politicians and the developer pretend to "be sensitive" to the public outcry and act like things are being reconsidered, then the developer just sits and waits, draws out the process, makes impossible demands, and when the media's attention has moved on to the other things, -BAM!- they proceed with their initial plan like nothing ever happened.

H

On 2013-03-07 05:31, galtiki wrote:
Heading to VANCOUVER, BC next week.

What's going on with the WALDORF? On their site they still list "Our famous Tahitian Lounge, Polynesian Cabaret Room and Menehune Room are available for private functions and parties." Is it worth a visit to see if I can have a peek around? Are the Leetegs still there?

And of this bit found in an article. Is this bar up and running?
"Other Tiki enthusiasts in Vancouver may be relieved to know that Ms. Schaub and her husband are opening a Tiki bar of their own next month on Main Street."

All/any tiki tips and info appreciated!

I think this is what they are referring to
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Shameful-Tiki-Room/579285192083653

"The Tiki Lounge at The Waldorf Hotel reopens tonight at 1489 E. Hastings St., www.waldorfhotel. com. Open Wednesdays through Saturdays from 7 p.m. till late."

What is the status here now? The original team that ran the place left, but it is still open as hotel?

The hotel website is still up and running. Anybody been by lately?

A nice old menu with a Leeteg painting on the cover spotted on ebay.

Cool graphics on the inside.

DC

I would like to know too. Is it still intact and will they let you in to see it. Polypop was in Van, maybe he knows. Oh Dusty Cajun, that fine menu looks just like one I didn't win on ebay a while back.

A recent find, nice matchbook cover from the Waldorf with the Polynesian Room drummer and the Menehune Banquet Rooms.

Any news out there on the status of this place?

DC

T

Yes the hotel is still open.

http://www.hotelatthewaldorf.ca

And the lounges are still open for dj events most nights of the week though they sent the dj's in a spin when they went analog only. No more mp3's allowed (how lazy have these guys become?).

http://clubzone.com/places/at-the-waldorf/

But the drum barstools are nowhere to be seen. When the Canadians allow me back in their country I'll check it out.

aloha, tikicoma

Picked up this oversized matchbook from the Waldorf, also featuring the drummer.

The inside of the matchbook shows an image of the feature matchsticks that were part of the matchbook. Very impressive, never seen one intact!

DC

Also found a series on nice old photos from the Polynesian Room at the Waldorf on-line on the City of Vancouver archives.

Enjoy!

Menehune Room

The great Eugene Savage mural.

Dining room

Bar.

DC

Good stuff (as usual), DC. That matchbook interior is pretty sweet.

Kevin

As far as I know they still are in business today. The vibe is not so Tiki but great to look around. Still lots of cool stuff. All of these pics are from a few months back during The Shameful Tiki Room 2nd Anniversary road trip. Look who I brought for a visit bigbrotiki.

He looks impressed :)

Just picked up a large batch of the Leeteg drummer swizzle spoons from the Waldorf in a variety of colors.

Anybody want to trade swizzles? Shoot me a PM.

DC

T

There's a quick shot of the Waldorf's exterior near the beginning of this amateur short film from 1961. It seems like someone's basement home tiki bar stood in for the interior scene in what seems to be meant to be the Tahitian Lounge / Polynesian Room though.

Maybe this should be cross-posted in "home bars"? :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqa_x14JOOU

Pages: 1 2 3 117 replies