Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Gman vs Wild - Page 1; Kotiate Warrior 183; BoatMan 184; Gman Lizard Dance 190; Screamer 193

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2,950 replies

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Sep 10, 2006 4:05 PM

Paipo - Thanks man. I'm really not stepping it up, I'm just so tool limited. The "Defiance" piece will be finished soon.

Kingstiedye - Thanks for leaving a note. I am just finishing off a list, and I'll be carving for myself for a bit. I'll make sure you are first when I make another list :D

T3 - I hope I never become a "stoner"...I hear it's tough to get in the Union too?

Heath - Thanks! Still much to do...

Pdrake - No books mang; that's not my style. I did a few pieces in bone back when I was in college (late eighties, early nineties) and I learned a bit then. Unfortunatly all my good toolz were sold when my parents sold the country house. I have never replaced them and I have done whatever I could with whatever I had for a while now.

Conga - You bet!

Surfintiki - Thanks! Where you bean? Post that Tang!

Hewey - Thanks for stopping by. I haven't seen a carving from you lately; are you still carving?

Benzo - Thanks for the toolz man. I really appreciate the thought.

And on to more bonz:

I drew this bugger on a slab of bone after looking at a million pics of wall panels and some really cool NZ historical pics of Maori huts and carvings. If you haven't done so, search TC and view the pics posted from the Chicago Museum - I went back to them again today. Anyway, I gave this guy a forked tongue and he'll get dressed up like the bigger Maori some time this week. The bulge at his crotch is supposed to get carved into another face, similar to his. One of my reference pieces (probably 8' tall) had one and I thought I would give it a shot, but that would be one small head! I dunno if I can pull that off.

And here are some bonz and wood pieces I am working on...

Thanks for looking,

Gman

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2006-09-10 16:10 ]

T

Wow!!! GMAN, thanks for posting a picture of them all together. What an amazing assortment they are... I have to admit my favorite is the one that looks a bit like a knife on the right next to the turtle. Keep carving & posting them they are wonderful to see!!!

Tikisgrl

gman, the new one is gonna be fantastic, too. i really dig the group pic. you have become an amazing bone carver. don't hog ALL the good ones! k'den, braddah! :) mahaloz for putting me first on your future list.

B

Another one, This man's On Fire! You are gonna be dreaming about bones for ever if you keep this up. We're gonna have to call you the Bone Master! Just don't be a Bone head, sell them thangs.
Nice work GMAN!

i don't blame gman for hangin' on to those. if i could create art like gman or benzart, i probably couldn't stand to part with anything.

H
Heath posted on Sun, Sep 10, 2006 8:56 PM

G-Man, that collection of yours is nothing short of amazing! Keep going and keep posting!

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Sep 11, 2006 5:21 PM

Tikisgirl - Thanks for looking and leaving a reply! I'm glad you like them. The one you mentioned is a rei puta, or "whale tooth" pendant.

Kingstiedye - I'll be back to selling soon. I just need some time for myself right now. Thanks.

Benzo - Bone Master, aye? Crap, I hope I'm not on fire - but it sure does smell like it over here.....what stinks?

Heath - Thanks for the kind words. I'll keep going and I'll keep posting my tiki work. The others stuff I try to keep off Tiki Central.

More coming soon......

-Gman

J

That shelf of bonz is wonderful looking. The collection pictures show them off well to each other that individual pictures just can't. Your big bone piece is impressive. - Ok that didn't sound quite right. Let me start over- The bone Maori in a "Defiance Pose" with the moko is terrific. The spirals came out well, those are hard to do. Keep up the work.

JP

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Sep 11, 2006 7:53 PM

JohnnyP - I hear that about the big bone all the time :lol: Thanks. I'm still working away on most of the guys in the group shot. Several of them will be getting inlays and most need to be sanded, detailed, and buffed.

Here are a few pics of some of the details I put on the forked tongue pendant I started yesterday.

I hope you like him,

Gman

H
Helz posted on Mon, Sep 11, 2006 8:04 PM

Damn G! Everytime I think you've hit a peak, you just crank out something even cooler than the last! The bones are just fantastic! I must have one!

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Sep 13, 2006 7:21 AM

Thanks Helz, but it isn't me; Benz sprinkled some magic sawdust on these toolz. All sorts of things are possible now......hold onto your hat!

-Gman

B

Lookin Sweeter and sweeter GMAN Now I know why you have the G on the from=nt of your moniker: GEE, Look at this man Go!

H
hewey posted on Thu, Sep 14, 2006 4:52 AM

You getting a nice collection man :)

Wow, nice work Gman!

M

Beautiful work Bone or GMan, Red tide is on your coast, not mine. Thats what stinks bro.

Keep em coming.

This and many others almost beg for a bone/stone carving section!

Mahaloz

McTiki

J

What's on tap this weekend?

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Sep 17, 2006 6:28 PM

JP - Boar hog hunting. I'm back and I'm beat. I'm getting too old for this! One tusker on ice :D Sausages anyone?

-Gman

B

DanmGman, I think I'm gonna have to try aa piece of dat bonz

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Sep 18, 2006 4:10 PM

Banzo,

These pork bonz are gonna get all smokey and saucy :) - but after that, I'll make a few pendants from what's left. This was a special porker, So I will make at least one pendant for myself.

-Gman

SQUuuuueeeeeeeelL! GRUNT! SNORT!

GET IN MY BELLY!!!

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Sep 24, 2006 5:37 PM

Jonesey - More oinks this weekend :D

All,

I got a package of paua from Paipo at the end of last week and have been out of town since. Paipo put a small greenstone pebble in the package and I took it with me in my pocket since. I wasn't quite sure what to do with it, and my cheapo ($3.99) 20 piece diamond burr set has not arrived. That left me with one diamond burr shaped like the tip of a round wooden toothpick - probably not the best tool for the job. Anyway, I felt like working on something tonight so I started working with the greenstone. After a little picking and some pruney fingers, here's what I have. I still need to spend time cleaning it up and doing a lot of sanding.

The pebble:

The first cuts (sorry about the focus)

As it sits now:

Thanks for looking,

Gman

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Sep 24, 2006 5:52 PM

AWESOME! I never would have thought there was a carving in that stone but you've proved me wrong. That looks so cool. You can sand what you've done by gently using the same burr dry on very low revs and just "brushing" away at it, just be careful with the dust. Let me know when you get your tools if you want some advice on getting the hole and inlay done.
Great stuff man!

AHhhhhh, grasshoppah!

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

Niiiiiice!

H
hewey posted on Sun, Sep 24, 2006 8:09 PM

Nice man! You need some larger bits of grenstone!

GMan!!! Wicked mate, for a first attempt this is awesome, seriously!! (just got PC back from shop and have only just found this. A knarley electrical storm fried my modem a couple of nights ago...)

Im picking that your experience with large woodwork & your bonework has seen you proud! About half of the jade-students that Ive worked with, come to the craft with no carving experience & dont come close to the gruntiness of these cuts... You have the vision already to give the piece some 'depth'; good one!

**Huge backlog of emails to attend to so Ill be off just now, but you can bet Ill be staying tuned for this!!! (you might want to share the journey with pdrake?)

Ka pai, my man! TTT
PS:(managed a few hours on the wee guy, but have had my parents staying for the last couple of days, as well as no comp, arrgh!!>>>)

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Sep 25, 2006 11:29 AM

Ahhhhhh! Gruntiness at its best! What a hack-job, aye? :lol:

-G

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: gman 2006-09-25 11:50 ]

B

Wooooah, GGGMan, Nice stuff! I can't wait to see This guy finishad. Good on ya' for doing this guy!!

J

Nick Nack Paddy Wack, give that man another stone. Don't quit now.

JP

Nice work GMAN! It would be neat to see some green stone inlay in a bone carving. Finish him up soon, I want to see it!

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Sep 28, 2006 5:52 PM

Benz, Johnny, and Fink,

Thanks, I've been in Fort Lauderdale on travel for work and returned today. My diamond burrs still have not arrived, so no progress on the greenstone. I've been out hunting the past few weekends, but hopefully I'll be back to the bonz and a little chipping on the big Maori warrior this weekend. I've got a buncha beef bone to work with and some nice boar rib to try. Stand by!

-Gman

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Sep 30, 2006 8:12 PM

Here's a new pic of the greenstone pendant I'm working on. Thanks for the stuff Paipo!

-Gman

Super-sweet!!! TTT

P

nice. that's great gman. you've become my new hero! ;-D

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Oct 1, 2006 12:20 AM

Great work G, keep oiling it up and it'll get better and better with age. I have a feeling we may see a few more jade carvings around here before too long.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Oct 1, 2006 2:34 PM

Tama, pdrake, and Paipo - Thanks. The greenstone pendant was a hack-job, but at least I gave it a try. It is a neat piece as all the material came from NZ via Paipo. I imagine I'll have it forever.

So, back to the wood. I caught this boar hog hangin' around my garage, so I hung him up by his back legs and made him all pretty for T. Jones. He is carved from Zebra wood (ala Benz) and paua (ala Paipo). Thanks Gents! I found it tough to get good pics of him, hopefully these do him a little justice. I think he looks better in perswine :lol:

What is more tiki than a hog roast!

The bugger has been hanging around here for months.....

Time for him to leave....

Thanks for looking,

Gman

J

On 2006-09-30 20:12, GMAN wrote:

This came out nice. That shouldn't be your last stone piece.

Jones' boar looks delicious hanging there. A little BBQ sauce... A great Gman design. That grain and figure in that pice of wood really adds to it.

JP

B

GMAN, your Jade piece came out SO Great and you should be More than proud. I'm not done drooling and now you bring on the pig..Lite the grill, we're having fresh pig tonight!!. He looks Awesome, just perfect for the Luau. GMAN, you never cease to amaze me with all this excellent stuff.

Nice design Gman. The patterning/colouration in the wood gives nice natural 'pigginess'...

Dont worry the Gman will have no excuses for avoiding more stonework, Im going to send a few nice pieces along with the pendant. Should be done this time tommorrow G, check the thread...

Oink, Oink! TTT

C

Hey GMan...the boar turned out very cool...makes me hungry for a little pulled pork. And
all of your pendants are great...just remember to chop into big wood once in a while...just for
us guys who need their BIG GMAN FIX.

B

Now we need a few lil' Piglets Flying around!.

GMAN, you are AWESOME! Thanks mang, I'll post flying pig pic's after Hukilau...flip-flOp-fLipPp...:D

B

Actually what we need is GMAN back at work, or actually Away from work so he can carve!

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Oct 6, 2006 8:00 PM

Gman is back from work travel and is fixing to put the smack down on a few pieces...including the big Maori warrior that has been hanging aroung my living room. Stand by for some updates.......

-Gman

B

We're Glad you are back home. We have missed you these last few weeks. Next time don't stay gone for so long, we can't take it.

H
hewey posted on Sat, Oct 7, 2006 4:52 PM

Both these last two look great man! :)

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Oct 7, 2006 5:32 PM

Benz - I tried to spend a buncha time in the studio today, thanks!

Hewey - I appreciate the note. I tried. JOneS is sporting the hog down at Huki. It was harder to do than it looks.

So, today I worked on a big cedar Maori Warrior and then worked on a Maori bone pendant. Pics of both are below.

I hope you like them as much as I do,

Gman

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2006-10-07 17:48 ]

Go big, go small, go hard! Nice one Gman.
The colour change in the teko-teko looks cool, will it be apparent when finished? Also, what wood-type is it? Sorry if youve already mentioned... TTT

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2950 replies