Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Gman vs Wild - Page 1; Kotiate Warrior 183; BoatMan 184; Gman Lizard Dance 190; Screamer 193

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2,950 replies

J

Man, it's been a long time since we've seen the big guy. Almost forgot what he looks like. This is better than you goin boar hunting.

You are crankin' on the bonz, getting better and better, now that I'm working on the Tekoteko I'm noticing a bunch more detail in the NZ art.

JP

Gman, your range of talant is inspiring! thanks for showing you great work.

Amy

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Oct 8, 2006 1:48 PM

Good to see you back in the groove G. You're getting to be real pro with the bones now, I really like how you're pushing out with the detailed engraving. There's someone who could probably use some advice from you here.

[ Edited by: Paipo 2006-10-08 13:49 ]

B

I am back home from Hukilau and too tired for much more today. GMAn, I saw some of your work t Hukilau and the photos don't do justice to your Flying Pig and some bone work. Most excellent stuff.
I will post pic's tomorrow. G-nite

B

This last bone piece is excellent, I think has to be your best. I Love how the detail is cut in and rounded out. Looks like you spent a Lot of time on this guy. How long ago did you start him? He's rally Sweet.

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Oct 9, 2006 5:19 PM

Tama - The big warrior is carved from a cedar tree I harvested a while back. The color will show through most stains and I have finished them in a variety of ways. I'm not sure where I'll take this fella, but most likely quite dark. I have mixed my own stains that are very dark but still allow the reds to show through.

JP - It's been a long time since I've felt good enough to carry the big guy outside, let alone make any real progress on him. I removed a lot of wood from his bottom end, but he kicked my butt! When the heat got the best of me, I retired to the garage to work with the bonz.

Queen K. - Thanks for the kind note and for stopping in to see my carves. I appreciate your kind comment.

Paipo - Glad you like what I'm up to, but it all has to do with the toolz - or lack of them. Now I have most of what I need to make intricate bonz. Before I just had the bare necessities to get by. Good this will be happening now.

Benzo - Glad to hear the boar hog was well liked down at Huki. As for the bone posted above; it was in my head for a while - the whole time I was up in DC on travel. It was making me crazy, so I got home and worked like I was possessed and didn't stop until I was finished. I was totally spent after that session and had to take a day off.

So, today I started the rough out of a mini Maori warrior pendant who will be sporting carved moko and greenstone eyez. He is 4.75" tall and made from a nice thick piece of beef bone with lots of shape. Pics are below:

Thanks for looking,

Gman

M
McTiki posted on Mon, Oct 9, 2006 5:23 PM

Sweetness G! Great lines and design. Sand him up (looks too soft to carve lol)

Mahalo

McTiki

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Oct 9, 2006 6:38 PM

Thanks McTiki. Sandpaper would take forever. I'll hit him with carbide tomorrow, followed by some diamonds, and then I'll use the aluminum oxide :) Hopefully he'll get purdy over the next week.

-Gman

B

This guy is going to be the zking of all the pendants, I can see already.
Excellent job on this one

H
hewey posted on Tue, Oct 10, 2006 3:18 AM

man, i love how seamlessly you swap between big and small, and the quality is always awesome

gman, the teko teko pendant is gonna be awesome. your bone carving is really taking off!

J

This one is going to be my favorite I think. It's neat the way you used the "corner" of the bone to give the piece depth. Are those jade pieces I see for the eyes?

B

Yo GMAN, I thought the Last one was your best but wait till you finish this guy. He is really headed for the Top of the Heap. NICE

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Oct 10, 2006 7:12 PM

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the positive feedback. Here is a quick update for tonight.

JP - yes, those are jade eyes. The jade will get a bone inlay for the pupil.

Thanks for looking,

-Gman

M

Nice and smooth. Keep going, keep moving along...

Mahalo

McTiki

B

looking gooder and gooder

Nice !! is he doin' the Conga??

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Oct 12, 2006 12:37 PM

Nope, he's doing the Bullet!

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Oct 12, 2006 1:05 PM

Nice depth and solid pecs! A manly chest gives 'em a bit of extra mana I think.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Oct 12, 2006 4:06 PM

Paipo - I agree, a solid chest is a good thing. I'm trying to stay away from the man-breasts look! :D

-Gman

J

Lookin good. Keep banging that bone!
JP

Looking good Gman! Nice chunky bit of bone & jade eyes are always a winner in my book!

Have you ever made the eyes a donut/wheel shape (with a hole in the centre) & then set over a 'peg' left in the centre of eye-socket? Helps to key in the inlay & makes the addition of 'pupil' uneccessary. Just a thought... T3

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Oct 15, 2006 5:34 PM

Tama - yeah I've tried it before, but it didn't work out so well - I broke the central post out. Bummer. Never tried it in bone though. These greenstone beads already have a pilot hole, so I'll just open them up and add a bone plug. Also, the eye holes were already cored.

I got the little man today when I got back from my "getaway." He is absolutely killer, way better than the pics show and the cords are the PERFECT length. Huge thanks for this!

Also, I got the killer beach pebble and the cut stone. Thanks so much! I see SO many pieces in the cut stone - I have two drawn already! I will send some of this over to Benz so he can delight us all! Thanks for the mailing and the additional stone. I appreciate your generosity.

-Gman

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2006-10-15 17:54 ]

No worries Gman! Rock on...

Tama :)

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Oct 20, 2006 4:59 AM

I appreciate all of you guys who have been sending me PMs; and no, I am not dead! I'll be back working this weekend, I hope. Stand by.....

-Gman

B

Good Morning GMAN, I'm in Stand-by Mode for now.
Have a nice day and don't let the Head-hunters Bite!

:D pigstick...

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Oct 21, 2006 10:48 AM

Thanks Benz and JOnEs; Pighammer indeed!

I haven't been carving for the last little while, so here are a buncha pics showing some progression of the bone warrior. I hope you like them.

Thanks for looking,

-Gman

WOW! absolutely stunning, gman! i don't even know where to start. the moko, lips, hand, feet, curvature and designs on his limbs are all perfect. bravo!

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Oct 21, 2006 12:48 PM

Thanks Kings, I'm glad you approve. I still need to fit the eye sockets and work the bone inlays into the greenstone eyez. After the fitting he will get aged and then I can set his eyez in. I'm hoping he continues to cooperate....

-Gman

A Moai-eared Maori? :) Looking good Gman!

Lookin' great Gman! I'm always looking to you for knowledge and inspiration. :)

Are you bone and stone carvers having a contest or something! I can't keep up with all the
incredible posts you guys are stickin' here...and you GMan...everything you touch turns to magic.
Keep rollin' them bones.

B

WOW,Gman, You got a Real Boner there!. This guy is gonna be Totally Outta Sight! By far the best you have done in bone to date.

J

He is looking really really good. It's nice to see some progress.
JP

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Oct 21, 2006 6:18 PM

Tama - Moai ears, huh? The guy's gotta have ears mate! I figured I should give him good ones so he can hear you down there....

Fink - Knowledge...Inspiration? You came to the wrong place!

Conga - Yep, didn'tja know? There is a contest, and I thought you were winning! As for magic, I dunno man, I'm just doing my thing.

Benz - Thanks for the words. I try.

JohnnyP - Thanks for checking in. FINALLY some progress....I was slacking on my posts, kinda like someone else I know :wink:

-Gman

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Oct 26, 2006 9:38 AM

PIGHAMMER! Back soon......

:) :D :lol: :wink: Tama

B

How soon is Soon,ike in a day or two or yesterday.
Thought you could play while I was away huh? BUSTED!
Hope All's OK and you get to work on this latest bone guy soon.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Oct 26, 2006 8:29 PM

Sorry Ben :( I'll be back to the bench soon. I have a bone to pick with a boar hog first.

-Gman

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Oct 30, 2006 3:55 AM

Sausages anyone? Bacon? Chops? :D

Man, I could have used JohnnyP's Pighammer this weekend. Up close and personal like.....

-Gman

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2006-10-30 04:09 ]

I'd like a ham sandwich on Hunter's grain bread
Details...?
Did you take down one of them hogs or something?

Seen the next UFC lineup? Counting down the days-four fights I really want to see this time.
Hey, let's see a picture of your head scar. I'll trade you for a picture of my first hook knife cut.
Buzzy

H

G-DOG! Bonz are looking reeeeallll good! You're a madman.

I'll take 5 lbs. of chops-bone in, when I'm done with them, I'll send you the bones back for some good carves, eh?!?!

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Oct 30, 2006 8:11 PM

Boar hog pics from this weekend - for Buzzy.

Buzzy - My head scar is pretty much gone. It healed up real nice. I doubt you could see it in a pic. You wanna see the staples pic again :D

Surf-n-Turf - Chops, loins, and some spicy sausages coming up! You can keep the bonz. Thanks for the comment on my bone carves. I'm having fun - just need more time. Work is real busy. Have you started working on the bone you had? I would love to see what you've come up with.

-Gman

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2006-10-30 20:12 ]

Cool I saw it before you took it off...
I'll take extra mustard on mine!
Buzzy

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Nov 3, 2006 9:28 AM

Hey all,

I'm off today and working at the bench. I finished carving the Maori Warrior pendant and did some adjusting on two other Maori Figure pendants. The Warrior's eyes are all fitted, now I just need to soak him and then set his eyes. The figure carving with the forked tongue is going to be soaked too. The piece with the paua eyes will stay bright white.

Kings - if you want the Warrior bright white, now is the time to chime in.....

A series of progress pics of the warrior and some almost finished shots below.

There's a jade hei-tiki on the bench now......

-Gman

go for it, gman! i want him to look ancient. i'm thrilled i'm getting him. happy, happy, happy!!!

p.s. i can't wait to see your take on the greenstone hei tiki. you're blowin' up, braddah!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2950 replies