Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Gman vs Wild - Page 1; Kotiate Warrior 183; BoatMan 184; Gman Lizard Dance 190; Screamer 193

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2,950 replies

B

Lookin Good Gman, where is that
green piece???
I knew you couldn't stay away for long, more More

Looking good Gman -That Maori in the middle is such a character, love the expression on his face! Great shot where he's lying back against your handpiece, the lighting shows the detail really well, so relaxed...

What do you mean by 'soaking'..? Staining? In what?

*Cant wait to see the Hei-tiki, yee-haa! Tama :)

J

Welcome back to the carving world! Those look like candy sitting there they are so sweet!

John

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Nov 4, 2006 5:52 AM

Kings - Ancient-looking coming up! I'm glad you like how he's coming out. We needed a good one from my shop for your collection. I think he'll like it over there.

Benz - Thanks. The greenstone is coming - maybe :)

Tama - I appreciate your comment. The face on a piece makes it or breaks it with me. I like this guy and all of his quirks. He was on the sauce all night, and I've done my brush thing with him. His finish is done. Aged pics are posted below.

JohnnyP - I never left...I just couldn't get any time at the bench. My day job is eating all my time.

All - Here are the finished pics for these last three bone Maori pendants. I still need to set the eyes in the Warrior, but he is "done." I aged two of them and left the figure carving with the paua eyes natural white. I hope you like them as much as I do. A big thanks to Benz for donating some toolz to me so I could work.

PIGHAMMER!

Thanks for looking,

Gman

B

Great work, very interesting pieces.

B

Yo GMAN, What can I say.. This Trio is definitely your best work so far. The Warrior is really a Confident, powerful but relaxed guy who is definitely in control. I love the coloring too. I wonder if there is any caffene left imbedded in those guyz. If youchew on one awhile will you get a high tea buzz AND get to taste that Pork Fat? PorkFat rules. PigHammer getz more pork fat.
I think the bag was Not empty and I'm not sayin'.
Excellent work GMAN

H
Helz posted on Sat, Nov 4, 2006 7:47 AM

G,

These are simply spectaular! I just can't say enough about your bonz. The designs are fantastic!

F

Absolutely gorgeous! Your work is always so clean looking. Wow!

M

Man, these are sweet. I have to keep carving large right now until it's too cold to. Then I may have to scale down and try my hand at either bone or some stones. Sweetness Hammer!

Mahalo

McTiki

B

So, You're mailing the warrior over here to Port Saint Lucie today or monday?

On 2006-11-04 11:07, Benzart wrote:
So, You're mailing the warrior over here to Port Saint Lucie today or monday?

sorry ben, but the warrior will be keeping your greenstone lono company out here in sactown. happy, happy, happy!!!

B

UnhappyUnhappyUnhappy!
:( :wink:

Ahhh, how to describe seeing Maori influence halfway around the world? Gives me warm tinglies, heehee

Great to have you back at the bench & doing your thing Gman! They look great all finished together.

One of the things I really enjoy about seeing 'other' cultures/people making NZ/Maori art is that you arent so caught up in the tight little world of NZ craft/art... Hard to explain, but there are small nuances/details that are all your very own. I like how you have left the first two quite solid/square-edged, as opposed to 'rounding off' every element. You hardly see this with NZ bone (or jade) carving. I flatter myself that I am one of the few in NZ brave enough to leave 'flat' surfaces or who dabbles with geometric forms.

Just great to see an original spin rather than outright emulation of what has been done 1000 times before.

Ka pai/Good stuff! Tama :)

So whats next..?

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Nov 4, 2006 6:03 PM

Thanks everyone! I'll respond to each of you in a few days. Now get back to work!

J

The soak really brought out the detail in the maori. Looks great.

JP

TightWerkz GMAN...

How bigs yer bone pile? Da soup pot must always be boiling, eh? Did fires or drought claim all the trees yer way? What-knot no woodies???

:o PIGPOKER! :o

Flip-flOp-fLipPp... :lol:

T

On 2006-11-04 06:29, Benzart wrote:
... I wonder if there is any caffene left imbedded in those guyz. If youchew on one awhile will you get a high tea buzz AND get to taste that Pork Fat? ...

Hey GMAN! Very nice work indeed.

What "sauce" did you use to color those? Tea, really? I never thought of it before, but I guess that would work... hmmm.

Also, doesn't the bone stink so bad when you grind it? Do you do that outside or do you vent it? (I ask because I'm thinking I might build a vent for my bench, for this and other odors).

Sorry for all the questions... :wink:

Also, doesn't the bone stink so bad when you grind it?

Surely anyone who can leap on the back of a sweaty hog isnt going to be deterred by a bit of bone-dust..? :lol:

Tikigap: (yeah, bone-dust reeks!!)

TamaTheTeaser

B

Ah, but I heard it's the Whale bone thats the Reekyest?

B

Yes, For a guy who carries a pair of forcepts and a tourniquet to stop the blodflow from the huge bastard hog who will eventually get him. smelling a little Stinkey bone is no big deal..Greg, I happen to have several pieces of Whale rib bone you can have if you want (anyone else can for that matter) Just let us know if it stinks bad as the reputation says it does.
I just came by to get another view of the bony guys trio to admire them for a bitand to hatch some kidnap planz. (You won't be home till When? Late next week?):)
Relax, enjoy your time away

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Nov 9, 2006 3:13 PM

Benella - Thanks man. Do some web searches for Maori carvings, and you'll see where I was coming from with these.

Benzo - Dunno if these are my best so far. The work I did in the eighties made these look pretty bad. Oh well. No porkfat here...beef lard! Oh, and I used decaf this time so I wouldn't get the twitches. PIGHAMMER always gets more porkfat! The bag is far from empty :)

Helz - Thanks man. I can't wait to see pics of your hei-tiki! C'mon, let us see!

Finky - Nice and clean? If you say so. Why do I always feel so dirty?

McTiki - Hammer-Time!

Benz - Yep, I'll mail him on Monday... :o

Kings - :)

Tama - I'm glad you like them and can see the small stuff that makes them unique. I'm glad you are not put off by my Maori inspired pieces. That makes me Happy Happy Happy! Ka pai!!!

JohnnyP - Thanks to you too. The sauce adds a lot of depth and brings out the detail.

JOnEs - BoneWerks var wungergrabben!!! Baskin dat farfignuggen? I've got plenny of wood and several big wood carvings going, but I'm onto the bone and stone for now....

tikigap - Yep, just tea. I cover up real good and wear a cartridge respirator, so I don't smell much. If you smell it bad, try slowing your toolz down so that you are not burning the bone, and use sharper stuff.....

Tama - Hogs can't sweat. That's why they need to live near water - so they can wallow and get mud on them to help cool them off during the day. Also, that is why they are active mostly at night, when it is cooler. They generally bed down during the hot days. :wink:

Benzo - Yes. You should carry dental floss and at least a web belt or two in case you need to tie off a bleeder. Damn Buggers!

I'm back after them again tomorrow...Snort, Grunt!!

-Gman

C

how did I miss these so many days ago...especially like the two darker ones. Wonderful
stuff from you GMan, are you working on wood too? Are you holding out on us again?
Very nice, thanks for the pics.

H

G!----Those last 3 bonz are bombastic. Really dig that aged finish you've acheived there. You boneheads never cease to amaze me! I gotta good deal on a Wecheer rotary and recip kit a few days ago--gonna have to try summadembonz soon, maybe.

Me too - don't know how it's possible to miss these pieces sometimes. Excellent work GMAN. Amazing, really.

B

Hey Gman, I Know you are away from home workin, but we Still miss your works in progress..Hurry home, We needs a fix!

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Nov 10, 2006 12:51 PM

Conga, SnT, A-A, and Benzo,

Thanks for stopping by and thanks for leaving comments on my bone guys. I'm glad you like them.

Today I received a box-o-rocks from JohnnyP. Sounds kinda silly, but we don't have any rocks in Florida - all we have is sand. I can't carve sand, except with the rail. Thanks Johnny! Anyway, I put the diamonds to one and this is what I wound up with. He's a sort of Ku-style with a little of the children's "Safe Place" image worked in. He also has the look of the little scared lemur in the movie Madagascar (which I saw for the first time in my hotel while I was away). Gman's house is a "Tiki-safe Place"! I hope you like him. He's pretty small. The pics make him look bigger

Thanks for looking,

Gman

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2006-11-10 14:24 ]

B

Well,, THATS what we've been waiting for, took ya long enough:)
He is really a Kuel Ku, verymodern looking. You got nice, deep Unbroken lines too and thats hard especially out near the edges where it gets thin. Enter this into the "Stone Carving Q&A" Forum. Which reminds me, I gotta do the same. Nice to have you back at the bench Grizzley Adams

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Nov 10, 2006 1:51 PM

Thanks Benz. The rock was a fun time. I'm gonna try a few more here in the next few days. I've got a few styles bouncing around in my head trying to get out. Or is that my other personality??? Strange.....

-Gman

Awesome Gman!

The 'cosmic' ties that bind us: have you seen what Paipo has just started working on..? spooky

*Love the innocent 'pleading' look on lil Ku's face, 'please dont chuck me in the pool', 'please dont feed me to the dog' :lol:

Good intro to stone mate but you know what Im waiting for... :wink:

Tama

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Nov 10, 2006 6:38 PM

Tama - Yeah, go figure! It must be some sort of astronomic event or something. Maybe Rhys was channeling through me while he was at the exhibition? I know you are waiting for the greenstone hei-tiki. I need to figure out how to remove the material around the profile without killing my small diamonds. I need a dang wheel like you have. I'll figure something out....

B

[ Edited by: Benzart 2006-11-11 05:26 ]

B

I have one I can send you or The cheepie tool place has them and they worl good for that,.I'll send it with the whalebone going your way

BenZart

On 2006-11-10 18:38, GMAN wrote:
I need to figure out how to remove the material around the profile without killing my small diamonds. I need a dang wheel like you have. I'll figure something out....

Im pretty sure you can get away with using a fine-ish grained carborundum/alum. oxide wheel, the type that normally comes on a double-ended 'bench-grinder' for general metal grinding/ tool sharpening.

Shroud/guard the thing to protect from water, run a dribble onto the wheel via a sponge, fire it up & have a go on a spare bit of stone! You'll probably be grinding the wheel away faster than the jade, but its worth a crack! I know of a few carvers who use big whet-stones like this, 2 or 3 mounted side by side on a single axle, for carving BIG mere/Maori greenstone club. There is a huge amount of 'rough-out' grinding necessary on those things & this method saves big money on chewing through diamond wheels!

Diamonds are obviously better of course & for jewellery sized work you really only need one wheel. I would recommend a 180 grit as a starter. They usually start out pretty course/scratchy for the first 50-100hrs running but slowly get finer/slower over time (my first 180 grit wheel is now used as an approx '400' wheel, sometimes used for carefuly refining shape) This is after 2-3 years of use almost every day & could still be used exclusively, albeit a little slower than preferable.

*Damn, should have put this in the Stone:Q&A thread really...

Cant wait to see your jade Hei-tiki!
(Dare I ask to be considered its future owner..? I would certainly understand if it becomes too preciousssssss to part with, but...
Puh-leeeeeeeease..?!! Name your price. TamaTheTiki-lover

P
Paipo posted on Fri, Nov 10, 2006 9:27 PM

A greenstone hei-tiki next? What have we done Tama? We better start sharpening the chisels and busting out the 6 foot Lonos and tekotekos! If I only had some logs...!

B

Gman, forget that post where I said I had something i don't have, i was asleep at the keyboard last night. Still nice stone stuff.

J

On 2006-11-10 13:57, Tamapoutini wrote:
'please dont feed me to the dog' :lol:

Been there, done that. :wink:

That rock looks a whole lot better than the last I saw it. Let me know, I can send lots more.

JP

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Nov 12, 2006 7:22 AM

Benzo - I gottcha. I've got a new medium or fine wheel here I can put on my pedestal grinder. I imagine it could work.

Tama - I'll give the grinding wheel a go. The tricky part is going to be keeping the water out of it as it is in a housing. I'll get all MadMax on it and get it set up. We'll see what it can do. As for you wanting my first Jade hei-tiki; sure, I would be honored. I can't work on it today though, cause I need to finish the fab and install of the big-bore engine we put in the rail. :D

Paipo - Are you stoned too? Maybe I should mail you a 6' log and my chainsaw? I wood love to see you carve a log.

JohnnyP - All sizes seem cool, but the smaller guys (under 1.75") seem to be more interesting to me.

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2006-11-12 07:23 ]

On 2006-11-12 07:22, GMAN wrote:

Tama - I'll give the grinding wheel a go. The tricky part is going to be keeping the water out of it as it is in a housing.

**Check latest Stone:Q&A...

Re:Pounamu Hei-tiki: WHOOPIE!!! Thank mate, no hurry at all! Dont freak out about carving it either (although I want your very best work! haha). I find it very hard carving for other carvers & had a hell of a time finishing 'Chainsaw Mauf'. You just know they are going to look veeeeery closely & know what they are looking for...

Im only pulling your leg mate! I cant wait & I will love it. I love it already!

Tama

B

GMAN?
You Hiding something from us?

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Nov 15, 2006 6:29 PM

Who, me???

Ignorance is bliss,

Gman

OooooooH dat G-man he one pupule buggah! Nice lamp, Chipper...ya get a free bowl of soup with that? :D

SsssssqqqqqqquuuuuuueeeeeeeeeeeeelSNORTSNORTflipflopfflipp-flop-flipflpflpflpflpflppp.... (trying to run quickly.... away from the squeeling hammer!):O

B

I Knew it, I KNEW there was some kanky panky goin on over there sumware!, Fess up, les heah the hole story., Harharhar.
Sweetness I bet.

Ah that's our boy GMan...digging the wood. The big guy has a beeeeoooootiful set of lips....
gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling to see another maori in progress.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Nov 16, 2006 4:36 AM

JoNeS - Yep, I did get a free bowl of soup with that lamp. However, I hear "tiki" lamps are all the rage these days.

Benzo - No hanky panky going on here. Just the usual, serious non-ignorant carving.

Conga - Yep, you know the deal, however those pics are from several other carvings that are completed now. I was just messing with Benzo. I do have a Maori in progress though - only he's not pictured in that post. I've got a week off coming up and I imagine I'll try to finish the one I've got going.

B

See how You Are?

J

On 2006-11-15 16:26, Benzart wrote:
GMAN?
You Hiding something from us?

He has been too quiet for way too long. Something is coming.

-I see a little Gman tiki on the bench. Been a long time since one of those has been seen. I thought they were an endangered speices. Nice to see their comeback.

JP

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Nov 16, 2006 1:46 PM

Hey Johnny,

I carved that little Gman tiki at the first S. Florida Tiki Jam. I left him there to guard Loki's and StumpGrinder's house. He was a good guy.

I made those Gman tikis for many years (and enjoyed them very much) but unfortunately I have lost the drive to create them anymore - largely due to reading negative postings here on TC. My designs and techniques go way back - nearly twenty years, back to when I lived in New England. I knew nothing of CA tiki bars, chicklet teeth, or Disney (still don't). There was no internet. I carved what made me happy. It was something that made me very happy. Things are different now. Very few of those pieces have come out of the shop over the past few months. I will continue down the path I have chosen and see where I wind up.

I will continue to celebrate the skills and relics of the ancient peoples/cultures who created and defined tiki for me.

-Gman

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Nov 20, 2006 8:21 PM

Grosen keiler!!!!! Snort!!

I hope you like him,

-Gman

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2950 replies