Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Gman vs Wild - Page 1; Kotiate Warrior 183; BoatMan 184; Gman Lizard Dance 190; Screamer 193

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2,950 replies

Looks like a biter, watch those fingers!

Nice deep surface patterning! I like how you incorporated the hole into the design also.

Ka pai! Tama :)

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Nov 21, 2006 8:26 AM

Thanks Tama! Thanks for naming him...we'll call him "The Biter" - even though he's been a pretty nice guy. I hear ya about incorporating the cord/suspension hole into the design; I hate seeing a hole that looks like it doesn't belong on the piece.

I'm gonna clean The Biter up today and get him in the for an aging bath. Spa time!

Helz - Will he work?

-Gman

B

Cool Biter Gman. Its about time you picked up some tools and did something. Looks really great . The detail is Really Deep, you could get lost in there. Keep it up and crank'em out.

H
Helz posted on Tue, Nov 21, 2006 3:39 PM

G...

I think he's perfect.

I'm very very excited

• Helz
J

On 2006-11-20 20:21, GMAN wrote:

I hope you like him,

Yes I do. It is amazing how you are getting so much dimension out of a relatively flat piece of bone.

JP

Looking good GMAN! There's a LOT of personality in that guy. :)

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Nov 22, 2006 8:36 AM

BenZart - Yeah, it is about time. I've been working late at the day job and have not felt much like carving. I dunno about getting lost in these cuts, but I did lose a few small burrs in there....

Helz - It's on! Tell Pop he's the man!

JohnnyP - Thanks. When are you gonna show us some more of your stones and bones?

Finky - Thanks for stopping by and leaving a note. Whattcha working on now?

Here is a pic of The Biter all finished up and one of The Warrior. Both of these are hitting the road today. I'm sad to see them go.

I hope you all have a great Thanksgiving. I'm racing the rail this weekend and will post pics of the run on Sunday.....

-Gman

H

I donĀ“t have the right words! Maybe perfekt!

H
Helz posted on Thu, Nov 23, 2006 10:30 AM

On 2006-11-22 08:36, GMAN wrote:

Here is a pic of The Biter all finished up and one of The Warrior. Both of these are hitting the road today. I'm sad to see them go.

If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you, it is yours...

(and we'll take good care of him in the mean time...)

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Nov 24, 2006 3:39 AM

Thanks Helz and HaiKai!

[ Edited by: GMAN 2006-11-26 09:43 ]

Gman the biter and warrior are sick designs! Really nice work!

B

GMAN Both those guyz look SO Great, I don't know how you could part with them. If I was you I would keep those guyz! :) :)
Hope you had a nice T Day!

Sharp as always G! Happy post-G...uh, I mean T-giving day!

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Nov 26, 2006 10:21 AM

Tikinomad - Thanks my friend, but the only thing sick around here is me! I picked up a killer cold/virus on Friday. Aaack!

Benz - The Warrior went to live in Cali with Bullet and The Biter is at pendant camp in CO.

Surfintiki - Hey man, what have you been up to? Any more projects on the bench? C'mon, show us what you are working on! I'm glad you approve of the bone work here.

I have pics of yesterday's sandrail poker run and hill climb, but I can't figure out how to get them off my new camera. Does it have to be this hard? Or am I getting old?

-Gman

B

It's probably so simple that it's hard. Just hook up the USB cable to the computer and then to the camera and Then turn on the camera and in a few seconds, Windows should tell you that you have Pictures to up-load and ask where you want them. Oh, btw, what kind of camera izzit?
C'mon figger it out so we can SEE!

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Nov 26, 2006 1:36 PM

Benz,

It's another Olympus (FE-190) that should be compatible with my other cards/software etc. I still haven't figured it out. Here are a couple of pics from yesterday. A few of the hills are not broken yet and those who tested them quickly wound up on their roofs, buried in sand, and covered with gas and hot oil.

my machine....

-Gman

Looks like great fun.

Only one question: Where are the ACTION shots?! We want to see some of those hills being unsuccessfully trialed...

I hope you got your car dirty!?

Tama

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Nov 26, 2006 2:40 PM

Tama,

Oh yeah, I got real sandy. It gets everywhere. I didn't take the camera out into the pit as it is brand new and I new I would break it. You can see some action shots on the club homepage:

http://cobrabuggys.homestead.com/cobrabuggys.html

-G

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2006-11-27 06:58 ]

B

Definitely looks like Fun fun fun!

J

Glad you got the picts to upload. That looks like a lot of fun! I notice you got rid of the sharp stinger that took a chunk out of you! The new one is all shinny and doesn't even have any blood stains.

JP

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Nov 27, 2006 7:03 AM

Johnny,

The TeePee exhaust was a biter, so I had to trash it. Dang bugger! When I switched out my old 1600 to my new 1835, I put on the Bobcat exhaust you see there. I'm sure it will try to bite me, but I'll be ready for it.

-Gman

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Nov 27, 2006 11:08 AM

Enough with the sandrails.......

Here is an update on the Rei-puta I started a while back. I started cutting in his detail, but I'm not finished yet. I have a few more hours to go and then it's off for a cup-o-tea.

I hopee you likee...

-Gman

On 2006-11-27 11:08, GMAN wrote:
Enough with the sandrails.......
-Gman

But....

I got up too late today. Missed all the dirty fun. Nice link :)
I think just about everything you do is either illegal in california or about to become illegal soon.

Nice work too!!!

Buzzy

i likee a lot keep up the good work and get back to wood

I likee too!

Its the 'bone-brother' (not THAT sort!)
I thought this was finished and gracing the neck of the Big Maori?
Looking even better with a few tats, and he now looks like he's surfing a sharks-tooth! Ye-haa!

Love how the scrolls are repeated on the top of the lower tooth section.

Any stonz happening yet? Tama

B

Oh Yeah, I had forgot all about this guy, He's Looking Great. Amazing how you get that detail so deep and smoothe. Lookin Good.

J

On 2006-11-27 11:08, GMAN wrote:

Nice to see you carving againg! This one has been one of my favorites.

JP

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Nov 28, 2006 4:41 PM

Buzzy - That's a big reason why I live where I do. I won't pay taxes to a state that doesn't support my rights or my activities. What I do on private property is my own business. I'm glad you likee the bonz!

Marcus - Thanks for stopping by. Dude your last carving is outrageous! I love the finish. Killer works from you! I'll get back to the wood carves again here soon. I have a big one in the werks but have not chipped on it recently.

Tama - Nope, no stonz yet mate. Stand by. Thanks for the praise on the scrolls! Tough buggers......

Benz - Ahhh deep and smoothe, like butta!

JohnnyP - Thanks to you too. I appreciate your comment.

Here is a final pic of the Rei-puta with the last of the details and his final finish.

I hopee you still likee!!!

-Gman

J

I really still likieee. You'll have to tell me how you got your finish so perfect looking. I have a couple turkey bonz that are slated for daggers.

JP

B

Awh Gman, you are gonna inlay the eyes, Yes?? This guy looks SUPER. How could I have forgotten him. You must have been around that night for the Boston Tea party, where else would you get enough Tea to dye this gye such a luxurious tea colour??

Very nice Gman. Superb finish/stain & I see the tongue got a tat-too!
Dont know if I would inlay or not, looks good as is in my opinion.

I reckon this could be slipped amongst a collection of genuine artifacts & no-one would be any the wiser. Might go through the roof on EBay, heaven forbid! :lol:

Very, very nice!

TTT

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Nov 30, 2006 5:13 PM

JohnnyP - No problem! Bone takes less color from tea if it is highly polished, so if you want more/darker color than the tea adds alone, add some brewed coffee (cold) into the mix. Watch the piece closely though, because the coffee sets color in fast.

Benz - Luxurious rich colors....that was the plan. I wanted a dark mottled finish for him. I got what I wanted. Nope, no inlays. I want this guy to look the period.

Tama - Thanks for the positive comment! I'm glad you like his finish - it was a stretch. I added a buncha lines and details including the tongue scrolls before I finally felt finished with him. I was really shooting for the "artifact" look, I'm glad you think I hit it. That means a lot coming from you.

-Gman

:lol: Nice work G! You are definitely taking your carves in an exciting direction! Are you consulting with Tama, mixing traditional lines with modern design? Keep'em coming...this one is a SERIOUS piece of WORK! :lol:

Flipitty-flip-flOppin-fLipPp...

*Would the real Gman please stand up, please stand up...

I reckon this would look good around Eminems' neck! :lol:

Tama

B

Now THIS one has some Realistic Eyes. GMAN, Don't ever ask me how to do eyes again!

that is freakin' scary!

P
Paipo posted on Sat, Dec 2, 2006 3:59 PM

That guy will have no problem hitching a ride!

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Dec 2, 2006 5:46 PM

JoNeS - and you think I'm crazy? Thanks for the great photoshop job!

Tama, Benz, Kings, and Paipo - Thanks for stopping by. Old Jonesy was having a bit-o-fun with my head and my last bone carving. I wish I could do eyes like that.....

Anyway, here is a bone pendant I started tonight. It needs a ton of cleaning up, but it's coming along. It's a double manaia and it is loosely based on an artifact I love. I hope to be detailing and working on it again tomorrow.

I hope you like it.....

-Gman

Choice..!

That was quite a jump from drawn up to where it is now! You got a team working for you, or some magic carving machine we dont know about..?

'Manaia-Mandella'? 'Manaia-Medallion'?

TTT

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Dec 3, 2006 12:51 PM

Thanks Tama. It's gonna take a lot more work, but I'll get it looking good eventually. I've got a great pair of paua eyes for it and I few ideas for body engraving. I'm gonna sit and doodle/figure it out a bit more before I carve on it again. Too tired today anyway....

-Gman

Just having another look; how wide is it? Looks pretty big? Must have been a big beast to supply a shank/bone like that...

T3

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Dec 3, 2006 1:27 PM

Hey Tama, it is 2" in diameter - not including the suspension hole area. It's pretty small. I chose a thick piece of bone to keep it strong. I didn't want to do all that open work on a thin girly piece of bone. No girly bonz here!

J

All that open work and symetrical at that. I know that is hard to do, what a complicated piece. Your nutz for trying it. You mentioned this is one of your favorite artifacts, where did you see the piece that inspired you.

JPighammer

H
hewey posted on Sun, Dec 3, 2006 6:21 PM

Nice work buddy :) nice and smooth, and different too

B

Excellent one this guy!. How did you pull that out of your hat so fast?
Mu Computer died and I am without wings. I'm borrowing Sherry's for now so I have to keep it quick, she has work to do for hours more.

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Dec 4, 2006 4:47 AM

JohnnyP - Thanks for the kind words. It does have a lot of open work, and yeah, I think I am crazy for trying it. Hopefully I can pull it off and it will be tight and very attractive. I have a few neat things planned for it. I'll be using my smallest tools on those small open cuts. Eeek!

Hewey - Thanks man. Any more mods to the cardboard race car?

Benz - Bummer about the computer. I spilled coffee in my laptop not long ago. What a Bi%ch! Hope fully you are up and running in no time. We need you here.

We spent all day yesterday rebuilding the Webber on my rail and changing out a leaking fuel pump. No carving update, but the rail runs like a raped ape now!

-Gman

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Dec 4, 2006 11:51 AM

I've never seen a piece like that, it's a way cool design. I dig how the negative spaces form a little sun in the centre. Very nice work so far G, but I can see you've got a lot ahead of you with all that openwork. I did a celtic knot in bone once and it was a nightmare sanding out all the little nooks and crannies!

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Dec 6, 2006 2:49 PM

Hey Paipo! Thanks for leaving the note. I can imagine that Celtic knot was a real chore... I have not had a chance to play with the manaia again, but I plan to this weekend. This one is based off of an artifact that is very similar. I really liked the design and wanted to see if I could make something like it. Hope all is well down under. Thanks for stopping by.

-Gman

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2950 replies