Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Gman vs Wild - Page 1; Kotiate Warrior 183; BoatMan 184; Gman Lizard Dance 190; Screamer 193

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2,950 replies

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Dec 9, 2006 1:59 PM

All,

Here is an update on the double manaia. I think I've got him beat now! It was a back and forth fight there for a little while. I thought he might take me....

The black stuff on him is rubber dust from one of my polishing burrs. I brushed it off after I took the pics (I thought it looked cool). The soak will give him a similar contrast, just a little lighter and more golden. The paua inlays were just set in the pockets for the pics. I'll set them in permanently after it gets soaked. I'm not sure if I'll do more carving on him. Anyway, here are some pics. I hopee you likee!

Lemme know....

-Gman

B

HOLY MOLY BatMan, thats Awesome. I Love the darkened lines too. Methinks you oughtta move to NZ and be partners with Tama and Paipo. Bone, Stone and Pounamu for Arts Sake!!!
Just got home, Sorry I missed your call. call u back later

Cool Gman. Groovy grind!

Quite a full-on design. I dig the central hole: making it like a thin-walled 'tube' seems to accentuate how thick/deep the original bone was: beefy!

In the pot with it; stain 'er up & back to the bench with ya!

At this rate I might have to fly you out so's you can start your stone apprenticeship...

Tama :)

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Dec 13, 2006 3:24 PM

Benz and Tama,

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate your support. It helps me a lot.

Here are a few pics of the finished Manaia pendant.

-Gman

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Dec 13, 2006 3:39 PM

Sweet carve G, I've never seen a design like it before. I'm a big fan of using as much thickness as possible with the beefbone too...I found some old bones up in the top shed (hidden away in the bush!) the other day and wondered about carving some again...but I think I'll just leave it to you and finky!

GMAN, that looks terrific! Everything about it is top-notch; the design, the execution, the smooth lines, the inlay, the finish...everything! I'm hoping some of that will rub off on me, since I learned all that I know by watching you. :wink:

M

It is beautiful G! The Tea soaked right into this guy. Nice. Lovin the inlays.

Mahalo

McTiki

Ditto.

Good stuff Gman. Looks great from side on/on an angle - really very 3-dimensional. Tends to flatten off visually when you see it from the front. The complete opposite from my work, which often 'appears' more 3-D when viewed from the front, but shows its' full glorious flatness when tipped, doh!

Like it. NEXT!

TTT

T

Very impressive GMAN - top notch stuff there. Very nice work.

G, that it cool! love the way it looks aged.

Amy

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Dec 15, 2006 5:01 AM

Paipo - Thanks for commenting. He was fun, but tough at the same time. I wanted to do a piece based on an artifact that I haven't seen anyone else attempt.

McTiki - Hey brah! For this piece I used several different teas in several successive baths and finished with a coffee/green tea mixed bath. Gman gets more porkfat! The inlays came from NZ and the paua shell is a beautiful blue - blue like the ocean surrounding some uninhabited Pacific island.......where I wish I was......

Tama - Yeah. This bugger was round and a bear to work fo'sho'. He made me think all the time, and use the smallest of the toolz that I had - but that's a good thing! Overall I am happy with the result. I could have done things differently, and in some places I wish I had. I also could have spent several more days on him, but I decided to call it done and move on.

Tikigap - I'm glad you like it. I don't know about impressive, but it is neat and something you won't see much of. Doing open work on this scale is a chore.

QueenK - I'm glad you approve! I really like how much effort you are putting into your stonz. Good stuff happening over at the QueenK shop. Right on!

-Gman

B

What a Nice pair of twins. Gman, this turned out great and the eyes are awesome, Very deep and mysterious especially that left eye.. Can't wait to see what you pull out of your hat next.
This guy has been a real Pleasure to watch being created....

C

Great pendant! Beautyfull design, Perfect for wearing a special night! Congrats!

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Dec 16, 2006 6:11 AM

Benz and Clarita - Thanks for the support. It was a fun project.

My foray back into bone was a good time. My last run of bonz was in like 1990. Anyway, what I wanted to do was have a box frame filled with pieces that I liked and that I new I would never buy for myself. I sold some along the way and another is out on loan right now (he will be added to the box frame soon), but here is the box frame as it sits. It should make a nice addition to my study along with the other large Maori warriors/Cook Island pieces I have made.

Right now I am heading out to brush the bone dust off the saw and have a few words with it. It has been singing to me over in the corner of the garage for many weeks now. I'll get out my chicken foot on a string, sprinkle some magic herbs in a circle around my kevlar, and speak the magic words. Hopefully the VooDoo Saw will rise up and help me create wonderful things again.

Oh yeah, here are the pics of the bone carving display for my study....

I hopee you likee!

-Gman

What a great collection GMan, you should be very proud of your lastest digs into bone.
And now, The conga is stoked about the GMan returning to the saw/wood. Any ideas in
your head, or are you just gonna let the saw lead the way?

Gman, you rock! Thanks again for the advice and encouragement, I'll talk again with you soon. :wink:

Z
Zaya posted on Sat, Dec 16, 2006 9:37 AM

WOW, these are amazing!! That's an incredible accomplishment. I bet you're so proud! I really love the bottom one second from the left. I think it would look perfect hanging around my neck! :) Oh, and my son is going crazy over that shark right next to it. If you have any extra's lying around let me know! I want to be on the list! :)

Zaya

Morning!

Hey, they look good all displayed together Gman. You've definately got a style of your own happening there; more pronounced when you see them all together.

Ka pai! NEXT!! (are we talking about using a CHAINSAW?? didnt know you were into big stuff! :lol:)

Morning!

Hey, they look good all displayed together Gman. You've definately got a style of your own happening there; more pronounced when you see them all together.

Ka pai! NEXT!! (are we talking about using a CHAINSAW?? didnt know you were into big stuff! :lol:)

B

Oh NO!. All thatFantastic stuff all framed up? That means No one else will be wearing any of them. They look Awesome all together GMAN, WELL Done. How many tikis you have done now, 4,7, 11? WOW???Can't wait

T

Hey now that's cool GMAN! Great display of your great art! Man! That's nice!

what a beautiful display, gman. you are doing some really great work. i feel very fortunate i got one of your bone pendants.

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Dec 16, 2006 3:20 PM

Conga, Finky, Zaya, Tama, Benz, Tikigap, and Kings,

Thank you for the kind words about the bonz. They were fun, but you know I like to go big and rip wood with the saw. Yeah Tama, big is my thing, and the saw is my scalpel (I guess you've never read my thread?! :lol: ). I love to run saws and make them do things they were not made to do.

Anyway, I dusted off the kevlar and gave my saw a good once over. It was sound as a pound. I switched out my work chain for my carving chain and gave it a nice hand sharpening and a brush of oil. I could feel the love....

I had the master plan in my saw box (see first picture below :D ) and a 2 year cured cedar log with branch bumps in all the convenient places. How could I lose?

Anyway, here is the rough out of my new tekoteko. He is somewhere around 45" or 50" tall. He'll be one sided (right side) with a finished "front" and "back" end. I took pics as I went and the last pic is as he sits now. He will get much cooler as I get into him, but I'm sure you can see where I'm going.

I hope you like him....and thanks for looking!

-Gman

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2006-12-17 06:19 ]

J

OH yeeahh! The man with the saw is back in town! I see where you are going and I like it. The shadow box with all your bone playing distractions looks pretty freaking great. You better show that off like a proud parent!

JP

B

Are you Really using the ChainSaw? This is gonna be another Cool lookin Dude, he has those Slouchy lines already. Don't stop now!!

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Dec 16, 2006 4:52 PM

JohnnyP and Benz,

Yeah, it felt great to get back to working big and using the saw. I think I got a real good form with this guy and I plan on giving him the full treatment. Hopefully he will really be styling when he is completed. I imagine he will take me a few months to finish, but I'm going to really enjoy him. I hope you enjoy watching.

-Gman

Gman, wow, the shadow box with all your bone pieces was amazing enough, then I scrolled down to see this! you are a master of large and small... keep it up, I love the detail pics of the progress....wow

Amy

T

I was advised that it's hard to achieve the come hither look! Of course that doesn't stop me from saying... Looks cool with that come hither shape. Obviously I need a little guidance as to the significance of the stance in Maori Tekotekos?

Looks neat so far and really what does the stance signify?

Can't wait to see him as he materializes from beneath the wood.

Tikisgrl

Wow...the bones look awesome. Great work!!!

On 2006-12-16 11:54, Tamapoutini wrote:

Just teasing; The saw may be family but you havent done any chainsaw work since Ive been here, Chainsaw Mauf! *Thought you might have forgotten how, but your quick progress proves that wrong...

Lookin good Gman. Nice proportion & pose! Keep us posted.

Tama

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Dec 17, 2006 12:41 PM

QueenK - Thanks for the positive feedback. I try.

Tikisgrl - The "come hither pose" is actually a defiance pose...one that a warrior would show to an enemy or demonstrate in a dance depicting battle or how powerful he is.

Vamp - I'm glad you like the bonz. They are fun to make.

Tama - Thanks for the positive comment about the proportion and pose. The poses are what makes the Maori work so attractive to me.

My plans for today fell through, so I got a chance to work on the teko again. He's coming along. The saw work is done, now it's on to the chisels.

Thanks for looking,

Gman

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2006-12-17 12:43 ]

Aww. Im too late: while you had your chainsaw out I was going to issue a 'Tiny Tiki Challenge':chainsaw catagory...
Dont want anyone to get hurt of course, but anyone up for it? G?

OK, how about with chisels/wood. How low can you go? Just a thought...

**I think the 'come hither/defiance' will come down to the facial expression; could go either way at present :wink:

Tama

Nice GMan...the Teko Teko definitely has the attitude going on...great flowing body lines...
I can't tell you how happy I am to see your tremendous work with bonez and now a return to
that cool red ceder. If I encountered this guy in battle I wouldn't know if I should run
or kiss him.

Love that sexy pose! Can't wait to see how he finishes up.

T

Just for the record and to atone for my error:

Tikisgrl - The "come hither pose" is actually a defiance pose...one that a warrior would show to an enemy or demonstrate in a dance depicting battle or how powerful he is. GMAN

So now that I know that is a defiant pose. I say he is shaping up like a mighty warrior Strong & Brave!!!

Looking great GMAN he's making me tremble with fear already...

Tikisgrl

B

Gman, I'm really glad you got this extra day to finish up the heavy tool work. This guy is still looking great. I can see where you are going with the pose and it is a very difficult, tricky stance to pull off, but I have faith in your talent to do it properly. Excellent so far!

H

Good to see you back in the woodpile, G, although I luv eva wunna dem bonz. You must have a nice stash of that cedar laying around--that stuff rocks!

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Dec 17, 2006 5:24 PM

Tama - Competition? Whatcha got in mind? You wanna race saws? I have a race saw.....

Conga - Thanks man. It's nice to be back cutting big chunks off of logs. I'm going to enjoy this guy a lot.

Finky - Sexy, aye? But what you don't know is that he is hiding a knife behind his back. Don't cross him or he'll git you!

Tikisgrl - Thanks, don't be scared....at least not yet.

Benz - Thanks for the faith and support. I liked your idea for him. Thanks. I'll see what I can do this week.

SurfnTurf - Where you been? How is the gable and all that work you were doing? I would love to see more of that project. As for me, this is my last seasoned cedar log.

-Gman

J

On 2006-12-17 12:52, Tamapoutini wrote:
I was going to issue a 'Tiny Tiki Challenge':chainsaw catagory...

Tama

Full Body Lono on a Matchstick

I stink at the small stuff.

Back to the regular scheduled programing.

I can see you trimmed him up a bit. Gman with chisel work. I am looking forward to this!
JP

[ Edited by: JohnnyP 2006-12-17 19:43 ]

I think ya got something there with that matchstick carving....obviously no item is safe from THE CARVERS....could be a Stephen King movie. :)

B

Anyone got a match? Thanks JP, give it right back!
Nice stuff again.

C

Gman you got style,bonz rock!I will keep up with the progress on your new guy,I need to try something like that in concrete.

H
hewey posted on Mon, Dec 18, 2006 5:50 PM

That box set looks awesome man!

This new guys got plenty of sassy attitude too :)

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Dec 20, 2006 8:58 PM

Thanks guys!

I am off for ten days starting Friday...Ohhhh yeahhhhh!!! I bought a quarter tip bar which I can trade off and on with my sprocket tip bar on my primary saw (both run 3/8 pitch chain) and I also bought another saw to run a dime tip bar and 1/4 pitch chain. There will be some changes here at the Gman camp. New stuff, new carves, new directions. Onward and upward!!!

-Gman

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Dec 20, 2006 9:14 PM

On 2006-12-20 20:58, GMAN wrote:
Thanks guys!

I am off for ten days starting Friday...Ohhhh yeahhhhh!!! I bought a quarter tip bar which I can trade off and on with my sprocket tip bar on my primary saw (both run 3/8 pitch chain) and I also bought another saw to run a dime tip bar and 1/4 pitch chain. There will be some changes here at the Gman camp. New stuff, new carves, new directions. Onward and upward!!!

-Gman

I wouldn't have a clue what all that saw stuff means, but I'm hoping the "10 days off" bit means 10 days where you won't be doing your regular gig, and instead will be getting this new Maori piece finished. I'm having 4 days off, and I can guarantee I won't be carving on my days off!

On 2006-12-20 21:14, Paipo wrote:

I wouldn't have a clue what all that saw stuff means, but I'm hoping the "10 days off" bit means 10 days where you won't be doing your regular gig, and instead will be getting this new Maori piece finished. I'm having 4 days off, and I can guarantee I won't be carving on my days off!

:lol: I was just thinking the very same thing; must be 'big-boy' chainsaw talk..?

Starting tomorrow I have about 8 days off & intend to drive several hundred miles away from my workshop; phew!

Cant wait to see what's left standing once the dust settles Gman! Enjoy your break.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Dec 21, 2006 4:35 AM

Paipo and Tama,

Yes, that is "Big Boy" chainsaw talk. Sorry to confuse....

A chainsaw bar is the long "blade" that the chain runs on. For the last...well, forever, I've stuck with a standard commercial grade sprocket tip bar with the nose being about the diameter of a soup can. All of my saws have run standard bars in the past because when they weren't carving, they were working saws. Using a standard bar for carving is kinda like trying to do fine work with a burr the size of a baseball bat. What I bought now are two carving bars (and another powerhead) that have tips much smaller, like dime and quarter (coin) sized. With these it will be more like working with the tip of my index finger or thumb instead of a baseball bat. What does it all mean? A lot more fun for me and it will let me do tiki rough outs with the saws that I couldn't do before. I also saw a few boxes from Treeline and other places so it looks like the Doc has some new handpieces and chisels ready for my stocking. Happy Happy!

Additionally, I hope to be back doing large chainsaw carvings of wildlife and other subjects for the general market. Don't worry, I won't post them here and water down the TC content.....

-Gman

B

Aww, C'mon, we HAVE to see your other work too. We will let you slide it ni here somewwhere!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2950 replies