Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Gman vs Wild - Page 1; Kotiate Warrior 183; BoatMan 184; Gman Lizard Dance 190; Screamer 193

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2,950 replies

Oh my god!!! That is looking sweet GMAN!!! That is your best one yet. Thanks for posting pic's!!!

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Sep 25, 2005 8:35 PM

Moon and Spermy,

Thanks for the comments. I worked hard today. I have lots of spar on it and it is "done" for now.

-Gman

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2005-09-26 04:39 ]

B

Lookin Sweet there Gman. Still think you ought to stain one to see how good it will look.
That is a Mighty proud stack of logs you have there.. There is a Lot of tikis there.

Lookin fine, GMAN. Yes, these guys are screaming for stain, but great work nonetheless!

Looking awesome G.man.

H

Gman thats an awesome looking tiki. With the smoothed lines its your best by far. And your skill with a chainsaw is amazing, you get it so smooth. But that grinder and sander just nailed the finishing off of that guy. Nice wood stack too.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Sep 25, 2005 10:16 PM

Hewey,

Yeah, the new tools were a real help. I'm so used to limiting my carvings to just what I can do with the saw. I'll need to think about what else I can do. It probably sounds stupid, but after so many years of saw only carvings, I'm looking forward to mixing it up with some new tools and styles. This could get interesting. I may try to get some more dodads for my dremel so I can make smaller details. I still can't get into the sanding thing though.

-Gman

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2005-09-25 22:21 ]

H

Yeh man, sanding can be a pain. A garage full of wood, new tools, and lots of ideas and enthusiasm. Let the fun begin!

Gus, some mighty fine pieces of work. This latest is amazing! Looks like them new tools have improved some already amazing carving skills.

[ Edited by: artonsafari 2005-09-26 11:23 ]

looking really snazzy there, Gman.... the more detail the better..! very nice....

Greg-
It's kind of quiet at your place here. I go to TC everyday to see what you and Ben have posted.
wes

wow....how did I miss this one....really nice tiki
G-Man....I like what you're doing with the albino tikis.

Greg-
I will post photo's tonight of the best damm tiki's in the north east.
Wes

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Sep 29, 2005 5:21 PM

edit

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

[ Edited by: GMAN 2008-06-12 19:57 ]

B

GMAN, looks like another winner. HappyAnniversary!

NICE!!

I really dig the open mouth on that last one, the nose plate, and dreads are all a big step up.

I'd like to see some dreads and a nose plate with a "V" like this one worked into it.

Some other cool avenues to explore would be different facial expressions and some tribal detailing on the helmets and such. Damn, I'm getting the itch to try some of this carving. The wife won't be too happy, I told her the last time I carved something was because I needed time away from the ex-gf. She may get the wrong message.

Awesome work Gus.

[ Edited by: artonsafari 2005-09-30 05:56 ]

[ Edited by: artonsafari 2005-09-30 05:57 ]

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Sep 30, 2005 3:16 PM

edit

-Gman

[ Edited by: GMAN 2008-06-12 19:58 ]

GMAN-
I don't know why I get suprised when I see another fine fine work of yours, but I do.
Now take that new piece in the house before someone runs off with it.
Wes

H
hewey posted on Sat, Oct 1, 2005 5:37 AM

Man, when you detail, they looks so sweet! The little square pattern down the fron looks tops. Cool

B

Nice one GMAN, you really spent time sanding him down and the Tooth is Killer.. As I was looking at it I saw the tooth ans said Why did he put a sharks tooth on the tiki. Then I read the post. Well done.

Yeah!! I'm digging the pattern on the nose piece. I'm getting amped up Gus. I've been thinking more about the Dremel and some smaller pieces for tap handles.

F

Very, very cool. Man, I got to get me some power tools.

H
harro posted on Mon, Oct 3, 2005 4:24 AM

Gman all these tikis are awesome! you have a very identifiable style too, but each one still has a unique sense about it! and the turnaround between tikis is amazingly fast!

can i ask - the paint that you applied to the end of the logs you have in storage, is this to control the drying of the log and prevent loss of moisture? what type of paint is it?
also - how does the portable workbench hold up? does it take the weight of a heavy log fairly comfortably?

cheers and keep up the good work!

another beaut, Gman! i like the sharktooth...

... would be cool to put a g-man tiki monted on an rc vehicle body and have it drive through the neighborhood shooting fire out of its mouth, smoke out of its ears, a have a speaker built in with radical shrieks and noises coming out...

... or a g-man tiki hamster building (or for pet rats or mice)... you could dye the hair of the animals and they could climb in and out of the ear holes, eye holes and a gaping maw... with smoke coming out the bottom...

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Oct 4, 2005 5:15 PM

Moondance, Hewey, Ben, Art, Finkdaddy, Harro, and Palma,

Thanks for the encouragement guys! I'm working hard....or am I hardly working?

Harro, yes the paint is to help slow the drying/cracking of the logs. I have a cack problem, I mean a problem with cracks :) . I busted my A$$ getting thse logs and I don't want to take any chances with them cracking badly. Besides, I have tiki orders for almost all of them, so I need to keep them all useable.

My wife and I have been re-planning our trip to Lauderdale for the tiki party, and then last night, while I was out of town on business, my English bulldog tore or ripped his ACL while playing with his momma. He may need surgery, but is sure in need of some TLC. I may be able to come alone, but it just won't be as fun with out my surfer girl. I don't know what to do.

By the way, did anyone see the South Park Hukilau episode last night? I was in Lauderdale giving a presentation and saw it in my hotel last night. I about pissed my pants. Satan, Saddam Hussein, and a bunch of other folks had a tiki party in hell and they did a wonderful musical number all singing Hukilau. It was the BEST!

-Gman

R

Sorry to hear about your dog. I have always wanted a bulldog. I like the detail on your last carving. The tooth is a great addition.

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Oct 4, 2005 5:47 PM

Harro,

I almost forgot, yes I like the table. It's new to me. I can't do any chainsaw work on it, I prefer to do that on the ground, however I can do sanding and grinding work with the tiki on the table. I have put a few big logs on there and have had not problems. I'm not sure you would want to put GIANT logs on there, but it should easily handle logs up to 8' x 12" -14".

Thanks for writing/looking.

-G

H
hewey posted on Tue, Oct 4, 2005 6:59 PM

Sorry to hear about the dog. Hope it gets better soon

B

GMAN, Sorry about the dog and that you might not be at Huki. Bummer. Quit bustin your butt, you Know it's already cracked.
Carve some more tikis, you're doing great.

M

GMAN-
Send my regards to Earnie, we hope his recovery is swift.
For your sake I hope your wife & you get to go to the Hukilau. I've been painting and trimming to get ready for our appraisal.
Annie & Wes

Poor Earnie. Hope he gets better soon. Tell Mrs GMAN I said, "hey" and for crying out loud, stop working so hard!

Work is for other people, you've got carving to do.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Oct 6, 2005 2:32 PM

Art,

I hear ya, but "THE MAN" has me under his thumb. At least the G gives us Monday off for a Holiday. I need to bang out two pieces this weekend, and, lucky for me, I was able to get my hunting land all set up last week. I moved several of my stands via canoe and came up with some great setups and also cleaned up a few extra trees so I can use my climber stand if the wind is wrong for any ladder on any given day. This weekend is a "NO HUNTING" weekend for me, so I will be firing up the old saw and making some noise. However, from now until the end of May/June, I will be spending most of my weekend free time hunting boar. Hopefully I can get an opportunity on that hippo sized hog that HUNTED ME all last season. That one scares me to death.

-Gman

M

GMAN,
How's Ernie doing? Have you made arraignments for Hukilau?
I hope so you deserve it.

[ Edited by: Moondance 2005-10-07 20:51 ]

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Oct 7, 2005 2:50 PM

Edit

Gman

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2005-10-09 14:59 ]

[ Edited by: GMAN 2008-06-12 19:59 ]

Looks good! I'm looking forward to the next stage of wood removal. That cedar is amazing.

Cool stuff, GMAN. I like how "severe" the carving style is on this guy.

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2005-10-07 21:03 ]

M

Dude! That bad boy kicks major ass!!!
When finances are back on track I will need to Buy one like that one. I love the eyes on the (Two) Tikis I have of yours. But I really like those eyes and the lines on that one mucho grande!
I can't wait to see how you finish this Bad Mother F*$#er!! Please parden my french?
Wes

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Oct 7, 2005 9:23 PM

Art, Sam, and Moondance,

Thanks for the support guys. I appreciate your taking the time to send on some motivation for me. I need it.

I'll be working on this one all day tomorrow. It has to be ready for shipment at the end of the month. I would like to finish it off this weekend if possible. I'll post pics tomorrow evening and we'll see how far I get.

-Gman

H

Nice work! & Mahalo! Hawaii needs more bold Tikis like yours. One in front of every home would suffice. Please....in fact everyone... carve faster!

H
hewey posted on Sat, Oct 8, 2005 8:06 AM

Tikis to hawaii one day, ice to eskimos the next...

Cool man

Congrats on sending one off to the islands . I hope that you get to deliver it in person. The V cut on the headress is really nice . Great clean lines as always .

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Oct 8, 2005 4:16 PM

edit

-Gman

[ Edited by: GMAN 2008-06-12 20:00 ]

R

G , it looks great. What are you using to do the detail carving? its a great added feature.

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Oct 8, 2005 4:42 PM

Rodeo,

I did the small stuff on the headdress and eyes with my Dremel. I've had it for nearly 25 years. It barely works anymore - kinda like me! Everything else was done with the chainsaw and hit with the angle grinder. Thanks for posting.

-Gman

M

LOVE IT, This tiki is so sweet! Love the detail work on the headress, nice design. You and Ben are machines!
Wes

Another top notch piece. The detail work really brings another level to what you've got going. Cool tribal on the headpiece too.

\m/ \m/

B

YES< Nice Clean looking tiki. I too, love the design on the headdress and the smooth sanding job. You will find that those 2 things will really be popular amongst your fans. Way to go.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2950 replies