Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Gman vs Wild - Page 1; Kotiate Warrior 183; BoatMan 184; Gman Lizard Dance 190; Screamer 193

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2,950 replies

M

"F"'n Sweetness G!

Enjoy him!

Mahalo

McTiki

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Feb 18, 2007 3:51 PM

Thanks McT, I will :D

-Gman

J

Wow,

I just checked out yesterday's update, f'ntastic work. That it looking so authentic.

JP

H
hewey posted on Sun, Feb 18, 2007 6:01 PM

F***ing awesome man! Nice

M

I'm glad the authentic irish compliment is catching! F word in Dublin is like the H word here. They think nothing of it. But, don't for any reason say the word; "Fanny" Don't ask.

It made no sense, but, I've had fun with it none the less.

Slaint'e

Mahalo

McTiki

[ Edited by: McTiki 2007-02-18 18:48 ]

B

Well, It SHOULD, you were supposed to be Resting. Looks Excellent. Love the Tractor tire print down his belly.

incredibly beautiful, gman! please, please, please, do one of those for me someday.

Wow! The tummy-tats just keep on getting better'er! There is a name/meaning for that notched design; possibly representing taniwha/monsters teeth(?) or perhaps an 'ancestral' pattern denoting the passing generations(?). Im embarrassed to admit that I dont know for certain. Perhaps B.K would know; he seems pretty well versed in these things..?

I suppose Id better leave a profanity or two, too: bi#ching! f*#king awesome, bl*#dy marvelous, etc... Seriously though, I reckon this ranks amongst your finest works!

Master? Mister? hmmmm, 'Meister-Carver'? :lol:

TTT :)

PS: Show us your hairy chest! (private joke)

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Feb 19, 2007 5:43 PM

McTiki, JohnnyP, and Hewey - F'ing thanks guys!

Benzo - I gots no tractor yo!

Kings - Maybe, but not anytime soon though......

Tama - Thanks man. Carve Meister?

Here are a few pics from my chipping tonight....

-Gman

T

GMAN, I've been waiting to see what he had hiding behind his back... Wow! So far it's amazing... Keep posting updates!

Tikisgrl

eek! oh he's a sly one. you just think he is giving you a nice little pose then BAM your done.
looks great love the detail

Oh yeah; a chipped-stone blade. Nasty! Looks like there's a bloodstain on it already. eeoouu..!

Love it!

T3 :)

Deadly, yet stylish! This guy is amazing Gman. I can't wait to see him in person. It wont be long now! How much detail are you gonna get on him yet? Can't wait to find out. :wink:

B

Keep posting these updates GMANG, He'z looking better with each one and so are you.(No , wait, I didn't mean it like that)

Looks very good and quite an authentic Teko, G...I like the dragon tooth knotching and the pose.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Feb 22, 2007 5:26 PM

Tikisgrl - Hello! Yep, he's got a knife back there. Watch him, or he'll git you.

TikiDuddy - Bam! Bam, bam, bam!!! He gotcha...

Tama - He does indeed have many blood stains on him already....all of it mine.

Finkster - Thanks. I have a few more things I would like to do to him, and then it's on to a major sanding stint.

Benz - Thanks. You're looking good too! :wink:

BK - your stuff is looking "very good" as well. When are you going to post something new and different?

All - I'm just back from a trip to Fort Lauderdale for work. I was able to eat at the Mai Kai last night and watch the 7:00 show. I took several pics while I was there. I'll post them around TC in a few days.

B

Are you gonna stain the knife Black?
Thanks.

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Feb 23, 2007 4:36 AM

Benz,

In the pieces I have seen that were holding knives, the knives were black. I imagine I should. I have the stains here to do it. Do you think I should?

-G

Great job Gman. The teko is looking neat-o. I like the tattoos on him, a true warrior. I think a stain on the knife would make it really pop. It will make the knife standout more against its background. do it.(just my 2cents)

J

On 2007-02-23 04:36, GMAN wrote:
Do you think I should?

-G

Yep. If you don't like it sand it off and redo it.

This guy is coming along sweetly.

JP

J

So it appears you went hunting this weekend. Any luck?

JP

B

DO it DoIt dO It DOIT DoIt DOIT OITD DOIT DOITdoit Do It.

B

Very nice knife;
Keep on updating.

Benjamin.

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Feb 27, 2007 4:49 PM

Hey all,

Thanks for checking in. Nope, no hunting....been out riding four wheelers and running around like a crazy man. Hopefully I can spend a day or so on him this weekend. He's close now :D

-Gman

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Mar 4, 2007 5:04 AM

Hey guys,

Sorry but no update on the Tekoteko for this weekend again. I intended to work yesterday but it was cold and raining. The most I could produce was the "how to" bone post for Duddy. I'm off for a day ride on my ATV now. Be back out of the woods at 3:00 - Tiki work soon......

-Gman

B
Babalu posted on Sun, Mar 4, 2007 6:47 AM

Master G,

Sorry for bouncing in a little late on this thread....this guy is turning out to be most tight!

He is certainly one of my favorites that I have seen here on TC. The detailing is just terrific!

I can kind of see pictures of the chisels that you are using to get this detail in a few of your pictures....as I have really just started carving, I only have some of the larger Flexcut sculpture chisels along with some power tools in my arsenal right now....I would very much like to try my hand at some detailing on this next one I'm doing too...Is there any suggestion you could give me on some good "detailing" smaller chisels that I could purchase to get my hands wet to this direction?

You rock dude!

B

Yes You should stain it black.

J

On 2007-02-22 17:26, GMAN wrote:
I was able to eat at the Mai Kai last night and watch the 7:00 show. I took several pics while I was there. I'll post them around TC in a few days.

Well?

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Mar 4, 2007 6:59 PM

[ Edited by: GMAN 2007-03-05 18:13 ]

B

As AC/DC used to say: "back in Black" :lol:

That's what I hope for next update :wink:

gman looking good lets see more more more

Page 99; Will the Assassin be ready in time for pg 100...? Hows that blade coming on?

Tama :)

F

Yeah Gman, we wanna see that knife!

B

Yeah, We wanna see the black knife, We wanna see the knife, The knife, the knife, the knife, the knife

H

G-MAN, where you been!? Actually that would be me that's been outtasight for a while. Without going back through your monster of a thread to be sure, I'll have to say this piece outshines anything you've done so far. And your past stuff ain't no easy act to follow! You just kicked your own a$$ w/ this one! More pppppppics, pppppplease!---Got any Mai Kai photos?

When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading. -- Henny Youngman
http://www.myspace.com/bhowland

[ Edited by: surf-n-turf 2007-03-08 08:20 ]

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Mar 9, 2007 4:44 AM

Ahoy!....you crazy nut-bags! I know, I know.....I've been a bit scarce 'round here - bean out doing other thangs. I plan to be back "on the boards" with the last push on this Tekoteko. I plan for an entire weekend of nip-tucking and sanding. I would like to have the first coats of finish on it by Sunday night. The weather should be good for finishing, as the temps should be in the 80's. I'll post lots of pics on the way....

Can I finish by page 100? I dunno? I want him done, but I want him done right. After him, it's back to the bench for a few bones.

Kicked my own a$$, aye? :lol:

:D

Gman

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Mar 9, 2007 8:34 PM

Here is a pic from the Mai Kai.

This is me, my Tama "Chainsaw Mouf", and the tiki JohnnyP made a version of last winter.

-Gman

B

Looks like you had Fun at the Mai-Kai last week . No wonder you haven't been carving HOHO :)

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Mar 10, 2007 1:27 PM

Benzo - The Mai Kai visit was a few weeks ago....for the last few weekends I've been out playing in the sand.....:D

My back wouldn't let me play in the sand with the guys today, so I slept in and then spent a solid four hours working on the Tekoteko. Four hours is about all my back could handle. I worked on a few areas and then got a good 100 grit sand on him. I'll move to 150, 220, 320, and then maybe 400 tomorrow. He's real close now. Hopefully I can get him in color tomorrow afternoon.

Here are a few pics:

This one is for JohnnyP....

Which one of us is uglier?

-G

B

Gee GMAN, I don't know wo looks worse, you or Mr Teko there. You lo king like you lost a fight with your respirator of Mr Teko with a cracked up face. I can Tell you he looks Awful darn good tho! Nice wok as Usual.

this one is really "taking the cake" GMan. Very nice 'n' clean....great detail work around
the body...ah...well it's all just wonderful. It just makes a guy feel good to see this kinda
stuff dug outta the wood.

Great stuff Gman! He looks real smooth close up. As for which one is uglier...Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies! :wink:

Dang! That is sheer elegance! A whole nother level! Yup, nice masky face...better than coughing up crap.

H

Man that thing is coming ALIVE!!!! :o :o :o

B

Hi -G,

Your Teko is even more beautiful. What did you decide for the knife black or natural?

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Mar 11, 2007 1:04 PM

He's a keeper alright...I assume this one will be the centrepiece of your collection? Great job on the surface decoration, the designs really flow across the form.....
Looking forward to the stain on this guy - he's too pasty for a Maori at the moment!

On 2007-03-10 13:27, GMAN wrote:
This one is for JohnnyP....
=

"And here we have the Masked Assassin, going for a double somersault with a half twist, whilst concealing a knife - Degree of difficulty; 9.2

*As this picture downloaded I thought Id bumbled into one of THOSE sites - until I saw the two of you together that is... :lol:

Looking really cool G! I agree with Paip though; definately needs some colour to pass as a Maori.

Whats up with your back..? One too many spills in the sand or is it from moving this fella about? Take care of yourself brah!

Tama :)

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Mar 11, 2007 1:42 PM

Hey all,

Thanks for comments on my figure carving, they are much appreciated. Here are the first pics of the Barefoot Assassin in stain. He has a lot of real deep reds that didn't show in the pics. His knife is black. He will be getting multiple coats of spar and bone eyes with paua inlayed pupils. He's still a long way from done, but I wanted to meet Tama's request for (near) completed pics of him on page 100.

I hope you like him.

-Gman

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2007-03-15 20:00 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2950 replies