Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Gman vs Wild - Page 1; Kotiate Warrior 183; BoatMan 184; Gman Lizard Dance 190; Screamer 193

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2,950 replies

Ditto; great sheen & colour G! I like the base/plinth too. There has been a lot of talk around here (jade country) over the years regarding bases (talking specifically about the judging on some of the jade exhibitions but it relates to sculpture in general); the general consensus being that no base is better than one that looks like an after-thought. The reason it became such a relevant topic was one year when the rules for the show stated 'No bases', and there was an outcry from those carvers who intended a base as an integral part of their work.

I think it is important to consider the piece as a whole & therefore treat the base as just as important as any other element of a work. This one works very nicely (one of the main things a base/plinth can do for a sculpture is say 'look at me, Im up here; I am important & worthy of your attention!') & does fine justice to this piece. Top chop Gman!

Next! :wink:

Tama

T

Wow! The Barefoot Assassin is awesome thanks for showing him to us. Did I say Wow?

Tikisgrl

:tiki: ** NASTY! **
Well done G!!!

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

B

The most beautiful piece you've ever made, man.
The curves, the style, the color... everything rocks.

Fantastic,

Benjamin.

It was definitely worth the wait to see this Maori finished! Lovely tiki. You also take really good pictures of your pieces. It's nice that you document your work so well.

I can't think of anything to add, but what the heck!
Nice work GMan.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Apr 8, 2007 7:52 AM

JohnnyP - Yepper, he was a keeper from the start. I figured you could wait me out. You're a bad dude!

Benzo - He is Italian for sure, what gave me away? Was it the garlic and basil extra-virgin olive oil finish? Was it the pose, surface detail, or facial features? I imagine it was all of the above. OK, the cat is out of the bag. He's an Italian figure carving (pass the sprinkle-cheese please!).

Fink - I'm glad you like the finish. I could have put a lot more time into him but you gotta draw the line somewhere - 3 months was long enough for him to be hanging around here. His hand was tricky. The wood was all weird and ridged back there. Cedar trees are like that. I had to work within the confines of the log, so that's the best I could do. As for coming to your hood, soon I hope.

BK - Thanks. Overall I am happy with him - I wish I had taken him to 1500 grit though.

Paipo - A "distinctive figurative style" eh? I figured you would have seen something like it before - have you spent much time in Italy? I'm glad you approve of the eyes. I figured it was best to leave them alone, you can't put wood back ya know.

Tama - Bases....Hmmm. I have thought about them a bunch too. I gave him his own base....I actually spent a fair amount of time carving/working on his attached base.....but also wanted to use that spool to raise him up to near eye-level. I like him "up here" where I can see the little things on him.

Tikisgrl - Wow! Thanks girl! I really appreciate you stopping by and leaving a note. Seen any wabbits yet?

TJones - NASTY! Indeed! How goes it?

Benella - Thanks tons Benjamin. I hope you would be diggin' him. Once you get your new chisels I want to see some NZ-style chops from you!

Sneakytiki - Yeah, I know the wait was long. The hours I spent on him seemed longer though! I'm glad you think the wait was worth it. I'm not that much of a shutter-bug, but as an artist who shows over the internet I like to have clear pics that offer various shots of my work. They come in handy when I get emails requesting images of my works for sale. That way I already have them and can just send them out. I hate waiting for the right lighting or weather. Clients also like quick replies.

Conga - thanks for your comment and for your continuing support over the last few years.

New stuff coming soon,

-Gman

J

On 2007-04-08 07:52, GMAN wrote:

New stuff coming soon,

Yipeeee!

Incredible work on the Assassin, Gman. :) What a progression you've gone through! It's been a pleasure to watch. Thanks for all the pics.

Man that wood is realy Kool . Very nice

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Apr 10, 2007 4:37 PM

AA - Thanks for the comment, and thanks for coming along for the ride. It's been a fun journey. Hopefully I can keep pushing forward and breaking new ground. I'm on a secret project right now, and I can't show you yet.......

Tyger J. - Thanks for stopping by, I likee the cedar wood too. It's purdy but chippy! I harvested this wood a year or two ago. I've use it for a buncha carvings now. This was the last seasoned piece I had, so I need to get some good ones curing so I have one when the feelings start again. Here's a pic of the last batch of logs when I got them.

Mmmmmmmm. Yummy!

-G

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2007-04-10 16:38 ]

H

Yum Yums!!!

Howz 'bout them billfish peckers--what ya got?

B

Hi G-man, is that cedar again ? If yes, did you destroy a forest of cedars ?!?
It's one of my favorite grains of wood, you lucky man :wink:
By the pix I can feel the wind of maori spirit through my screen :lol:
Benjamin.

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Apr 11, 2007 5:36 PM

Benella,

Those were logs I harvested a year or two ago. That was one of three cedar trees I removed from a property. I'm looking for more though, hopefully I can get 6 or so nice 5 footers set up in the garage to age. Back to my bills....

-G

J

On 2007-04-08 07:52, GMAN wrote:

New stuff coming soon,

-Gman

Well, where izzit man? Soon has come and gone.

Hi GMAN, your Barefoot Assassin is stunning. The carving and finish is just beautiful!

Smiles, Mrs Hoptiki

The Barefoot Assassin is a fantastic piece of work! The animation and the expression of the figure are outstanding! Can't wait to see what you're going to do next!

T

Great work as usual G - that cedar stash is calling - looks like a lot of good work in those. Good Luck! Keep us posted with progress photos please!

Greg

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Apr 19, 2007 4:47 PM

JohnnyP - Where izzit? Where iz what? You mean the swordy bills? They're here, some are all scratched and inked up with whaling scenes and all sorts of other Yankee Folk Art kinda stuff. The scrimshaw no tiki so you no peekee!!!!

Mr&Mrs BPH - Thank you for the flattering comment. I'm glad you like him. I do too :D

Tiki Shark Art - Thanks man, I tried to get a lot of movement in him - not the easiest thing to do when you have to work within the confines of a knotted-up irregular log. I try to use the irregularities to my advantage. His expression is basically what I see every time I look in the mirror!

Tikigap - More updates and pics? For you, I can do that.

Here is one Ive been chipping at. I shifted my work hours and now I am home earlier in the afternoon. Getting home between 7:00 and 8:00 was getting old. Now I can be home in time to get a few hours of work in before dark. The weather was perfect today - too hot in the sun, but the shade was choice! I spent 3 plus hours chipping away at this figure carving tonight. He's a big boy and I have a lot of wood to remove. I imagine I'll be working on him for quite a while still. I have some neat ideas for him and I can't wait to get further along.

Anyhow, here are some pics from tonight...

Thanks for looking,

Gman

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2007-04-19 16:49 ]

Looking good G! You're becoming quite adept at working with those two-tone logs. Do you deliberately work with the depth/colour or let it 'happen' as it chooses? I like how the limbs are white/clean & the torso pink.

Go on; one quick peek at the scrimshawed bills. Purdy please?

Tama :)

B

HA! I KNEW you couldn't just let those huge Flexcuts sit there and rust away, I KNEW you would Have to pick them up sooner or later. Lookin Good! Like I expected Otherwise!

B

Flexcut company are happy: you make the best advertise for their chisels :wink:

I predict another masterpiece, but I didn't see any bill :o

Scrimshaw! Scrimshaw! Scrimshaw!
Scrimshaw! Scrimshaw! Scrimshaw!
How about in the beyond tiki thread?

The new guy is looking great! You always have such long, smooth curves. Do those logs smell nice when you cut into them?

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Apr 21, 2007 1:44 PM

Tama - Hey thanks! As for working around the colors in the wood; nope, I just do what I have to do and let the color go where it must. I'm a spontaneous carver and I just work where the voices in my head tell me to chip. colon crazy laugh colon!

Benz - HA! I know you knew that I know that you knew! No rust here buddy!

Benella - "I predict another masterpiece" I'll try......

Finky - Long smooth curves is where it's at with these guys. Did ya dig that saw into a log yet? :D

Here are some progress pics from my work today. I pushed the chisels hard and dug deep into this guy's face. I am super sore, but very happy with the progress today. Hopefully I can get a few more hours on him tomorrow

Thanks for looking,

Gman

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2007-04-28 18:03 ]

J

Most excellent. It is nice to see a big tiki on the boards! I like the slightly different approach on the face.

These are the posts that get me excited, big logs being converted into wonderful creations. I gotta go warm up my saw.................

JP

B

Hey G-Man,

This guy is just over the top cool!

Love the height...love the curves...a sweet, sweet carve.

Choice!

alright...something else to look forward to...another GMan! Always good to see
another one in the works...and you seem to move along so fast. Looks like you
have already found some character in the face but I'm sure there will be more
revelations as you progress. Big wood...gotta love it.

GMAN, unbelievable! I went to the beginning of this thread and the the comparison is just miles apart. I also saw where you almost stopped posting. Man, am I glad you didn't!

B

Greg, I am Totally cranked to see you pulling this old guy out again. He is beginning to come to life with your extra honed skills and the new toolz, he is really developing a Serious attitude. That face is Very Commanding and powwerful. It is good to see the chips fall and the man awake. I have a feeling that this guy is going to be another "Gman Best", Move Over Assassin. Well , In the process of being, done.
I want bunches of hi rez pickies?

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Apr 22, 2007 12:20 PM

JohnnyP - Yeah man, you better get that saw started. We haven't seen any big stuff from the P-Clan in a while. Get on it son!

Babalu - Hey man! Thanks for stopping by and taking a peek. Glad you like him. He's gonna take a loooong time, especially if I do all the surface carving I hope to do.

Conga - BIG WOOD! Hopefully I can continue making the right moves with this guy. I know if I cross him he'll let me have it. He's starting to frighten me.....

BIG HR - Glad to see you on the boards and posting. Hurry up and get settled so we can see your carves. In the meantime, grab a chair and watch the forum; all sorts of stuff will be happening here as the rest of the US thaws out.

Benzo - "Totally Cranked" aye? Good. I'll do my best with the pickies and the progress, but this guy is gonna take me a while....I'm thinking like maybe August he'll be done? Got a while?

Here are some pics from today. It was real nice out. Even Earnie came out and "worked" with me. I spent the day working on his legs and butt. Lots of chips....

Also, please look for Helz's post in the "Marketplace" if you are interested in a ceramic Gman/Poptiki "Biter" pendant.

Thanks for looking,

Gman

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2007-04-28 18:05 ]

your dog certainly looks content. lol

gman that is looking great keep up the good work

T

GMAN - Looking good! I love the way the grain of the wood is following the lines of the carving. Can't wait to see more. Thanks for the extreme close-ups!

Tikisgrl

B

Yes siree, Every time you touch him now he is gonna get better and better. You're at the refinement stage where he gets teased and teased and the chips get smaller and here he starts to Speak to you. Hopefully his ancient buddies will visit and keep you company!

Coming along nicely there Gman! *That last pic/angle is great; I thought he was basically symmetrical & staring straight ahead, but I see the head is turned slightly to one side. A very nice/subtle touch.

But alas; still no todger... :lol: maniacal laughter :lol: colon :lol:

TamaTheTerrible :D

B

Didn't see the 2 last updates and today it is the mega surprise. And what a very good surprise it is :o :o :o

The lines of the face are groovin' slowly but surely giving him a real serious human head.
The rest makes me think there are tons of super details to come.

I'm very happy and I know your flexcut chisels are happy to suffer too :lol:

Maori spirit is your way, man.

Benjamin.

M

Beautiful G!

Way to work the cedar!

Mahalo

McTiki

Whoa, he's lookin' good! He looks like the kind of guy that commands silence and respect when he enters a room. I don't see any insect holes in this log?

J

On 2007-04-22 12:20, GMAN wrote:

I like your sense of humor!!!! Great job on carving this ! Where's the latest update?

JP

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Apr 25, 2007 5:03 PM

:D extreme close-up money shot!

H
hewey posted on Thu, Apr 26, 2007 2:15 AM

Woohoo! He's back into it :D I just received the hammerhead bone pendant in the mail and it's a sweet sweet thing! Thanks mate!

B

I see you're just Dying to be the BUTT of jokes around here. Nice way to End the post.
Pardon me while I go to my garage to Hack away at my art! :(
:wink:

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Apr 26, 2007 7:18 AM

Hack!

A little Boudreaux's Butt Paste should clear that right up!

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Apr 26, 2007 2:03 PM

Butt Paste, aye? Owwie!

B

Yep, That there's a Butt crack and beyond. Where's JenTiki when you need her??
Sweet end there gman

G
GMAN posted on Sat, May 5, 2007 11:34 AM

Hey Benzo,

Thanks for the email this morning and the push to work. I appreciated that. So here ya go. I spent a few hours out in the back chippin' and clunking. Here are the gnarly barley humanoid hands you requested....

and one for Buzzy - although this is OUTSIDE!

-Gman

I love, love, love those chiseled hands! I'm so glad to see an update on this guy. Please don't stop!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2950 replies