Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Gman vs Wild - Page 1; Kotiate Warrior 183; BoatMan 184; Gman Lizard Dance 190; Screamer 193

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2,950 replies

B

He is alive !!!
Love the hands

B

COOL, I can see You're "In the Chips" Now, Nice Sneekerz too.
The Gnarly hands are just what the doctor ordered, lookin good.
It wasn't really an ORDER, but if so, Wheres the rest of it? :) :) :)

H
hewey posted on Sat, May 5, 2007 6:48 PM

Those fingers freak me out - great work man!

You know that picture of the wood chips would be vey alluring - if I were a hampster! The hands look great.

On 2007-05-05 11:34, GMAN wrote:
and one for Buzzy - although this is OUTSIDE!
-Gman

You have outdoor carpet or something?

Chips protect the carpet. That's why I do it.

Buzzy Out!

Freaky fingers Gman; they work very well. The flat-tips are creepy - why do they attract me so..? How did you come up with those? Have you seen them before? Traditional..? Just curious...

Tama :)

B
Babalu posted on Sun, May 6, 2007 6:29 AM

Gman,

The hands look fantastic! A very fresh idea to combine the old with something new. Cool.

Not sure if you plan on keeping this, but the texture looks good on them too. Did you flatten out the finger tips so that you could come back in and detail out the nails later on? I'll have to remember that move.

Keep posting G....I'm biting my nails with anticipation for the next round.

J

On 2007-05-05 11:34, GMAN wrote:

Great handy work! Twisted gnarly things that add a bunch of character, been looking at these for a couple days now thinking that there is a new level of carving starting.

JP

C

the "thumb" on his right hand gives me the creeps.

TD

GMAN- crazy work you got there. love it.
haha that last picture there of the wood shavings looks like a bunch of assorted nuts.

G
GMAN posted on Tue, May 8, 2007 4:28 PM

Finky, Benella, Benzo, Hewey, Aloha Station, Buzzy, Tama, Babalu, JohnnyP, Conga, and Tiki Duddy,

Thanks for stopping in and checking out my fingerz. I appreciate your support I know they look creepy, but that was my intent. One day I will post some of my library shots of tekos and I will point out some of the characteristics that I find most intriguing. The fingers on the older pieces are some of the features I find fascinating.

Babalu - No, the knocked off edge is the way they were often finished - on the tips and often on the knuckles too.

Here are some pics of this guyz head and toez (well, one new foot at least).

Thanks for looking,

Gman

Mrs Hoptiki here,

Oh he’s got such a regal head and I love the shape of his nose.

H
Heath posted on Tue, May 8, 2007 5:37 PM

Once again Gman, you have brought something to life from an otherwise lifeless item. I especially like the way you do the legs, I haven't been able to figure those out.

I don't know whether it was intended or not, but the reflection really says something in this shot.

You keep carving, I'll keep watching.

Man, I love the way you work around the red center of those logs! Especially the separation between the hands and chest.

You know, Big Hodad is right. The separation of colors is so perfect that it didn't even occur to me that they could be any other way. That's amazing! It looks so natural, just like he's laying his big, white hands on his red chest. Perfect!

B

Cool Stuff Bro! Heath has an Excellent eye, spying the eerie reflection of this guys face in the picture behind him, Really spooky but natural.
I'm really enjoying the progression of this Maori man, he is really looking Strong and proud. Can I come over and learn how you do it?

G
GMAN posted on Thu, May 10, 2007 9:04 AM

[ Edited by: GMAN 2007-05-10 09:07 ]

B

[ Edited by: Benzart 2007-05-10 10:35 ]

G
GMAN posted on Thu, May 10, 2007 11:25 AM

:lol: :D

P
Paipo posted on Thu, May 10, 2007 1:51 PM

On 2007-05-10 09:04, GMAN wrote:

[ Edited by: GMAN 2007-05-10 09:07 ]

On 2007-05-10 10:35, Benzart wrote:

[ Edited by: Benzart 2007-05-10 10:35 ]

On 2007-05-10 11:25, GMAN wrote:
:lol: :D

OK gentlemen, would you like to share this with the rest of the class?

Nice digits G! I can't recall having seen 'em done that way before - are the examples you've seen on newer (ie late 19th early 20th C) pieces? I know they're probably gonna get sanded back, but it would look cool to leave that nice chisel texture on them - it really accentuates the gnarled look.

good morning gman i am loveing this one keep up the good work

M

Another one thats rockin from the Florida backwoods!

(Fingers remind me of ET, but, in a good way :)

Keep helping him out of da wood.

Nice

Mahalo

McTiki

J

" "

G
GMAN posted on Thu, May 10, 2007 4:51 PM

All,

Thanks for dropping by and leaving me notes. You all make me smile and keep me pushing forward. Thank you.

So, I was just sitting 'round watching the tube when I noticed that this guy was giving me the eye.

He doesn't usually bother me much, but tonight he said I had to go out and carve. Not wanting to be alone in the house with an angry warrior...I went out and did what I was told.

Tonight I roughed-in the other foot on my new guy. Now he has two feetz. Here are a few progress shots.

Thanks for looking,

Gman

T

I see Tiki Toez & GMAN Toez... hmmm... Looking really good so far GMAN!! As always can't wait to see the next set of pictures!

Tikisgrl

B

Hey, He's got Toes. Now he can tiptoe up behind you and Scare you,see what you did?
OK, Wheres the Gnarly, wrinkled old face now??

I'd keep carving if I were you, or that guy in the corner is gonna get you! :o

He's lookin' great Gman!

J

fancy footwork!

G
GMAN posted on Sat, May 12, 2007 12:09 PM

Tikisgrl - The toez, they nose! Thanks!

Benzo - The gnarly, wrinkled old face is at your house....can I borrow it back for a few dayz?

Finky - I will, don't worry. That little guy is usually the quiet one, but now I think he is plotting against me with this new guy. Help?

JohnnyP - Like Footloose? Never did see that movie - don't think I ever will.

Here are some pics from today. I did a ton of work, but most of it is not gonna show well in pics. The most obvious changes are that I gave him his ears, chiped at his face and neck for a few hours, and worked on his chest and right arm.

Thanks for looking,

Gman

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2007-05-12 12:13 ]

Hi Gman, you really have this style down, these are really beautiful pieces.

Amy

B

I see you put him down for the night, good Idea as you never can tell what he would do upright and walking around!..I am Really loving watching this man grow into a human being. You are pulling up skills you never thought you had, don't be surprised at them. Just exercise them a bit quicker, I'm in a hurry to see this guy finished. :) :) :)

TL

Looks great.This Dude has some real majestic mana.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, May 13, 2007 4:51 PM

Hey guys, thanks for looking at the big figure carving. He's moving along, and yes, Ben, I'll try to go faster. I looked back and I started him in May of 2006, on page 51! Aaack!

My wrist and neck were hurting bad today, so I played around with a small piece of wood while sitting at the pool. This is a piece of wood that Benzo gave me some time ago. I don't know what it is but it's neat. It is dark with really pretty grain. I put some Watco rejuvenating oil on it before I finished for the day and that darkened it up some more. I still have to finish the headdress and play around with his features - I'm sure I'll finish him one day too....

He is 5" tall and a little more than 1/2" thick.

Laters,

G

M

Ok, since this is my 1000 th post, I feel compelled to use it here. I can relate to the smaller stuff right now as time is precious.

Ben cranks out absolute perfection in most any scale, Aloha cranks out beautiful smaller scale stuff and now the G Man too! I cherish the day mine is as clean and accurate as yours!

5 stars sir! Proud to know you amongst this Ohana.

Mahalo

McTiki

[ Edited by: McTiki 2007-05-13 17:01 ]

J

On 2007-05-12 12:09, GMAN wrote:

I enjoy your progress shots, and I can tell you spend a great amount of work between them.

You must be tough on these guys, since they are always laying down in your last shots.

Your little carving looks pretty neat, with that color and grain, it looks finished already.

And no, I did not like "footloose"

JP

Looking great Gman, both big and little.
Is this the back of his head? :down: How cool!

Barefoot Assasin final stain loos awesome. New guy is looking good too....you are sure fast with these guys....must be part of the natural talent. :)

H
hewey posted on Sun, May 13, 2007 7:58 PM

Looking good man, looking very good :D

On 2007-05-13 16:51, GMAN wrote:
I still have to finish the headdress and play around with his features - I'm sure I'll finish him one day too....

:lol: Ok; Im disappointed that there's still no todger, but that joke lets you off! (gets you off?) :lol:

Love this wee guy! Very cool.

Tama

B

These are very cool pieces, G.
Sorry for your wrist and neck.
Can't wait for the shoulders of your maori piece :wink:

GMan...too bad about the body...but your little guy is really nice...always great to
see what you're up to. And just so you know...one of your bone pendants is hanging
majestically from the rear view mirror of the land cruiser caddie. The Caddie delivers
a nice ride but there is just enought movement to keep the bone dancin'. Now if I could
only keep my eyes on the road!

B

Sure, Go ahead, I think they will work Great. :)

G
GMAN posted on Mon, May 14, 2007 5:22 PM

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the kind words. You had me smiling all day! I'll respond to each of you when I have more energy. I just spent a few hours working on the pendant, I'm beat-down tired, and I wanted to put up some pics - even though I probably shouldn't - and eat a pizza.

Here he is with more work on his eyes, mouth, and headdress. He needs some fine sanding and some teasing, but he's about done.

Sorry to be a post-hog.......

-G

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2007-05-16 17:48 ]

J

On 2007-05-14 05:38, congatiki wrote:

a nice ride but there is just enought movement to keep the bone dancin'. Now if I could
only keep my eyes on the road!

:lol:

B

Excellent little guy there GMAN. I love the finishing touches on his headdress. The Color is Awesome. You'll need to send him here so I can ID the wood for you...WAIT, Isn't that a piece of wood I Loaned you about a year ago? I think I wants it back now, thanks.
Good nite!

H

NIIIIIICE lit'lun you gots there G. That wood is beeeuteeeful!!!!!! BFA kicks a$$! What's next?

G
GMAN posted on Thu, May 17, 2007 4:07 PM

Santa?

T

GMAN the Pendant is great! I love the color and the style and of course that he's showing a little tongue...

Did Santa come to your house in May? Or are you just now getting around to showing us your Christmas chisels?

Tikisgrl

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2950 replies