Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Gman vs Wild - Page 1; Kotiate Warrior 183; BoatMan 184; Gman Lizard Dance 190; Screamer 193

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2,950 replies

Your work GMAN has risen to such a level in the last year that I'm at a loss for words. Nice clean lines, very sharp. Each piece climbs another level.
How the hell do you carve in this HEAT!!
Stay Cool!!
Ray

H

Mate, good to see you back at it :D You're getting a nice little tiki collection there.

R
Robin posted on Sun, Aug 26, 2007 9:31 AM

Glad you're feeling better and back at it. Good to see the new guy coming to life. I love the hands on this one.

R.

B

Happy you're back.
I just can't believe those hands: amazing.

B

Yes, It's about time this guy got some attention. I see you have been working on those beautiful hands, Undercutting them enough so that they look like they are resting against his stomach instead of being a Part of it. you have managed to get them very natural looking and not contrived. Not easily done there grasshopper. (Smile Smile SmIle)
16 days!

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Aug 29, 2007 5:55 AM

Craig, Moondance, Hewey, Robin, Benella, and Benzart,

Thanks for looking and leaving a note. He's coming along. It felt nice to pick at him a bit and see some progress. It was nice having the chisels back in my hands. There were several areas on him that needed attention and some thinking time. Now that they are out of the way, I can proceed more quickly.

On another note, I received a package from JohnnyP with a most fabulous PNG Croc Horn inside. You should see this thing! Wow, what a killer carving - and you wouldn't believe how sweet it sounds. So far, I have managed 3 different pitches out of it. I couldn't be any more thrilled!!! :D Thanks Bubba!

I'm taking it with me on a hunt tonight and to put it in JohnnyP's words....."I'm gonna call those crocs home."

L8tr G8tr!

-G

I just got back! Here are three camera phone pictures for now. It's so fresh it still bloody. I couldn't get the whole thing in one picture without it getting blurry. Still need to thicken some lines, shading, and color to make it pop! He did it pretty much free hand just by looking at your pictures! Hope you like so far. I'll try to get better pics.

Craig

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Aug 31, 2007 6:37 PM

Craig,

That is killer! Are you happy with the outline? I like it! Your guy did a great job! Once he finishes the outline and adds all the detail, that thing is going to be CRAZY! Please keep updating this thread as you get more work done on it. Thanks for posting - and thanks for digging the original. I am very flattered.

-G

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

[ Edited by: GMAN 2007-08-31 19:11 ]

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Sep 2, 2007 10:51 AM

I was outside picking at my nose and sanding the big figure but I got chased inside by a T-storm. Hopefully I can get back outside and continue picking and sanding.....

-G

B

I gotta say that nose looks pretty darn perfect to me, Man, You're doing such a Nice job on this guy. Get back to work!

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Sep 2, 2007 1:46 PM

Thanks Benz. I still have a ton of work to do before I can start doing surface work. Hopefully I can get to some of it before my vacation is over. Thanks for the respirator tip....it worked well!

I got some more sanding done, but I'm all sanded out for today.

-G

You sure know how to pick a nose G...it is looking awesome. :)

Lookin' oh so good G! I hear ya on the sanding...going thru the same thing.
I really like the astute look on this guy's face, he's goona be killer. I can't wait to see all the finishing touches he gets.

B

AnOTHER One working on Sunday! Greg, Looking great, Amazing what a little (little?) Sanding will do hey? This is a Holiday, you are supposed to be Celebrating, not working. Well now this HARdly seems like WORK now does it? This guy is gonna be SchWeet!

B
Bowana posted on Sun, Sep 2, 2007 7:59 PM

That guy is way worthy of a good nose pick too, Mr.G. Great detail on them all. Your style is definitely recognizable.

H
hewey posted on Sun, Sep 2, 2007 9:00 PM

He's coming along very nicely mate :D Now get back to your sanding - it wont sand itself you know!

B

You're a killer.
Beautiful job with the ears.

Ben

Wow - Tikifreak1: that tattooist really caught the spirit and likeness of the Tekoteko! How cool is that Gman?? :)

Good to see the progress on this big fella. Hows the croc-hunting? I cant believe you do that sh@t, seriously. :lol:

Tama

Totally awesome Gman - I LOVE this guy, and I like your style.

KS

C

From the toes through the nose....this is the pure GMan that we know and love. You
really knock it out of the park on these Maori figures.

R
Robin posted on Mon, Sep 3, 2007 9:31 AM

Hi Greg...I see strength and wisdom. He sure is a beauty. Annnnnnd.....what better tribute to you than having some one get full blown permanent body art of one of your pieces. Damn that is amazing TF1!

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Sep 3, 2007 11:13 AM

Vamp - When it comes to nose-picking, I've got skillz!

Surfin - Wicked Pissah! Man, I'm glad I lost my Boston accent....but it's nice to have you back 'round. Don't go away for so long next time. Yep, he's gonna get plenny-O-surface carving......soon.

Benzo - Work? YES, it feels like work! My bonz are tired. That damn gator wrecked me.

Bowana - Howdie-hey! Glad you think he is worth a nose-pick, but he aint much compared to whattcha got goin' on over there in the Carve-O-Copia.......

Hewey - I know he won't sand himself....I've asked him a hundred times. Hell, he won't even pick up his dirty clothes from the bathroom floor!

Benella - Thanks for noticing the ears. Lot's more stuff like that to come....

Tama - Yes, that tattoo is the freaking bomb! I am flattered beyond words. As for the g8trs, I'll be back out on the lake in a few days. That first guy took the starch right outta me.

Kiwishaman - Helloha! Glad you likee :)

Conga - Nose to toes, who knows? Gman nose...... :wink:

Robin - Strength and wisdom, aye? I wonder why I feel stupid and tired?

All - I worked on his left side today, mostly doing small cleanup tasks with some smaller chisels. I did a little sanding, but my left arm has had it. I can't hold him or push the paper with it. Time to stop. Hopefully more tomorrow.....

-G

G: Really like the way you did the fingers. I'm going to have to come up with that idea on my own sometime in the near future and give that look a try. :wink:

Thanks for helping me come up with this idea on my own. Those guys are right: You are the man!

Buzzy Out!

B

Yes, Yes, Yes, I LOVE the Clean-up stage where you go around refining all the detail. It breaths a living breath into the piece a bit at a time. Feet/toes look great and I LOVE that Sneaker! :lol:
Bring him with you, HE CAN Stand it, I Promise!

G- that is looking really awesome!!! If that was my carving it would be in the bottom of the pool now! Keep it up, can't wait for the detail!

G- you still carving that tired old cedar:) Looks great as usual.
All the best,
Thom

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Sep 4, 2007 6:22 AM

Buzz - Glad I could help you come up with that on your own! Actually, the Maori came up with those fingers on THEIR own a long time before we thought of coming up with it on our own. Savy?

Benz - You know I like my toez in the photoz......

TFreak - In the pool aye? Not my guy, not yet at least.....

TFisher - Where you bean hiding? Yep, same old tired cedar :wink: but this is the last of it for now. I need to get out there and find some trees that need gravity checks.....

Thanks for looking,

-G

J

Sweetness from the cedar. That is an honor having your art permanently affixed to somebody!

Glad the hunt went well!

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Sep 4, 2007 2:26 PM

Benz nailed it...this is the part where it all happens. Little by little the final personality emerges. Tihei mauri ora!
PS please stop flaunting your pool and your warm weather :x

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Sep 4, 2007 4:59 PM

JohnnyP - Yep, that tattoo is neato - and it's gonna get better as it is filled in. Thanks again for the horn. One of my friends who hunts with me wants a croc horn too, only a little smaller - we should talk.....

Paipo - Sorry about the pics mate. Here's a pic of some bad weather for you. It's not all sun and fun here....(actually it is :wink: )

-G

F

Gman!! Your chops are always top-notch and always improving. This new guy has so much personality. I bet he could snap you in two without much effort. I'm looking forward to seeing him progress.

Sorry for not being around lately. I think my head is finally screwed on right. I'll check in more often, I promise.

BTW, your tiki is looking good, but holy shit, look at that pool!!

Word!

Visit the The Leeward Lounge

[ Edited by: finkdaddy 2007-09-04 18:11 ]

T

GMAN - Amazing feets of carving as usual but, seriously how do you make these shot's happen? It looks like he's floating? Like the toes, love the nose... I'm suspicious though, he looks a little bit like you?

Tikisgrl

T

Hey GMan,

Just wondering on the pics you posted to the nose work you were doing, what is the pinkish looking color around the nose?

I hope the other spots on the pics are drops of sweat and not blood! :wink:

Looking great Gmoney, ditto whatz been said about the fingers!

ST

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Sep 8, 2007 9:03 PM

Finky - Glad to have you back! Thanks for the compliment :)

Tikisgrl - Amazing feetz! Yes. Looks like me....Nope, he's lookin better...

BigT - The pink = the heartwood. That's the red in red cedar.

SneakyT - Glad you like the fingerz!

No carving yet this weekend. Been working around the clock trying to get caught up after taking a few days of vacation ($%^$$@QQ!###E$). If I can get further along with my work tonight, I may crank up the saw and do a rough out tomorrow just to let off some steam.

-G$

looking awesome, Gman! you're getting me all riled up to hit the chisels again- thanks! that definately is one proud warrior, there, and rightly so! take care.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Sep 9, 2007 12:40 PM

Thanks GTP. No carving today. Hopefully I'll feel like working on him again soon. Between work and life....I'm smashed. May be next weekend - or, if I can get my friend's dune-quad out of my garage, I can pick at him a little bit at a time on weeknights. That would be best as seting up outside takes time and I have a limited window before the sun crisps me.

-G

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Sep 9, 2007 2:08 PM

For some reason I keep reading your thread title as "Chipping and Dipping" :lol:
Rest up and get back into it bro! I wanna see more of those little guys too....

H

:lol: :lol: :lol:
One day I'm gonna go back and count how many feet pics I can find.

Seriously though, this cat is looking maaaaavalus, wouldn't expect anything less though. You're unstoppable!

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Sep 11, 2007 4:02 PM

Paipo - I'm resting up. Hopefully I'll spend some time on him Saturday. Check back for an update soon. I hope to do some more little guys as well.....I've got a few ideas kicking around.

Howland - Feetz, Feats, and wild meats! That's how I get down! Nice to sea you around. Did you finish your backyard yet? If so, post some shots! I wanna see.

-G$

H
harro posted on Thu, Sep 13, 2007 9:05 AM

Good to see another big Gman Maori on the go. A cool, identifiable style with obvious nods to the ancients. And the wood colours are always interesting in your big pieces.

What an honour to have someone ink their body with your design too, how cool.

If I could just understand what it is you actually do when you talk about pigs, boars, crocs, buggies and such!?!?!

Cheers,
harro.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Sep 13, 2007 2:27 PM

Helloha Harro! Thanks for the kind words about my carvings. Yes, a big nod to the ancients, but also my own direction. Yes, the skin-art is cool and as I said earlier, I am very flattered.

So that I don't get in trouble for posting a buncha off topic pictures (but I would really like to!)....pig, boar, and croc-talk is generally referencing my hunting activities. I hunt for meat, as I prefer to live off of wild game (and Winghouse/Hooters wings and curlyfries). I generally hunt for invasive species (wild boar) or animals that the state has identified as needing to be culled (crocodilians). I also prefer to hunt things that have the ability to kill me back. One day I'm going to get it I'm sure.

As for the buggies and rails, those discussions are referring to the building, racing, and general misuse of sandrails or "dunebuggies." I get into all sorts of trouble with the rail, my ATV, and my racing Kart. Do a search for the pic with all the staples in my head and you'll get the idea.

I think this is the post:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=15632&forum=7&vpost=243113&hilite=gman%20staples

-G

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

[ Edited by: GMAN 2007-09-13 14:35 ]

H
harro posted on Fri, Sep 14, 2007 9:30 AM

yeeeouch... those pics just put me off my ham sandwich - thanks gman!

right so you live in some outback crazy state with wild pigs and crocs that need cullin', so you hunt 'em, kill 'em, and eat 'em. And for fun you try to kill yourself in a dune buggy... ok so i think I'm beginning to understand now... YOU'RE LOCO!!

haha good stuff though, I bet you have plenty of stories. So what part of the states are you?

B

So Harro, you Finally figured out that pig sticker is a bit Loco? I wondered for awhile after the pig hunting, but when I saw him calling that Gator with JP's Horn and then saw the dead Gator, I was convinced he had made the turn and is on the Other side of the road to sanity. Welcome GMAn! :lol:
Now lets get back to work, this Warrior is Not gonna wait around forever for you to finish him up, he's going to call up the Ancients and you don't want that!

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Sep 15, 2007 1:59 PM

Harro - Yes. :wink:

Benz - The Ancients said to work on the little guy today. Who am I to disagree? So, it was hook-knife and chisels today. Sandpapaer for the big guy some other time.....

I hopee you likee the small guy.

-G

B

GMAN, Yes, I DO Love him. I Love those Square ears and the Muscular body. He looks like he is gonna be a great lesson for new carvers and old as well. Post plenny progress shots.

Damn Gman, that looks sweet! Please post plenty of progress pics on this one. I may have to try one of these guys myself.

R
Robin posted on Sat, Sep 15, 2007 3:21 PM

GMAN, Thanks for carving, and thanks for showing your work. Although not a carver, I find it fascinating to see the process and the finished work.
Good luck with this guy, how 'little' is he?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2950 replies