Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Gman vs Wild - Page 1; Kotiate Warrior 183; BoatMan 184; Gman Lizard Dance 190; Screamer 193

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2,950 replies

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Dec 8, 2007 9:28 PM

Shelves = Target...not Gman :D

-G

T

On 2007-12-08 21:28, GMAN wrote:
Shelves = Target...not Gman :D

-G

haha! oh well, looks great anyway! :lol:

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Dec 10, 2007 6:38 PM

Howdie hey,

I had a bugger of a day....but returned home to find this second mystery box on my door step! This one was NOT from JohhnyP? Who wazzit from, and what could it be?

Turns out it was from TikiFreak Craig and inside was a REAL canoe prow from the Sepik River area of PNG. I freaked. This thing is wikkid. I've been drooling over this thing since I opened it. It is awesome. I found a good spot for it on my shelf and I think I'm going to go back and look at it some more. :D What a wonderful gift! Thanks so much Craig!

Here are some pics:

-G$

S

NO WAY! Nice G, yep the shelves are coming in handy.

I'm glad you like it! It's the least I could do since you have helped me out a great deal and have also hooked me up! It fits good in your new shelf and looks pretty cool on that stand, now I want to get one!! Can't go wrong with the croc!

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Dec 12, 2007 8:54 PM

Seeks - Yep they are coming in handy. How's that messy stain clean up going? I hope you can show us some new pics of the Thin Man soon.

TFreak - Thanks again. Yep, you can't go wromg with a croc...at least not at this house.

B

Man, thats an Awesome piece to be Cherished for ever. What a find, Beautiful.

S

G, Thin Man is going slow. He is getting a slow peel, chisel and sanding.
He has started to dry, he has a perfect crack down the center of his ass. :)

R

You might need a bigger man room pretty soon. I spent a couple of days at the deYoung last week, and I have to say that JP's piece could fool anyone....it could hang there, and not be out of place. You are one lucky dude.

C

NICE.

Time for more shelves.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Dec 13, 2007 2:42 PM

Benzo - Heya! Nice to see ya 'round...

Seeks - All proper figure carvings have cracks in their asses.

Robin - Yup, JohnnyP makes sweet stuff.

Camo - Hey mang. Hopefully no more shelves...

Today I tried a piece of the green stuff. He needs a buncha clean-up if I want him to be purdy.

-G

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

[ Edited by: GMAN 2008-02-29 04:12 ]

T

Pretty, better watch those fingers though, he looks hungry! Love it GMAN even if it isn't all shiny yet! Just something you did in your spare time?

Thanks for showing him!

Tikisgrl

Holy crap, G is moving to jade! Looks great, now I'm "freakin"!

S

Nice G, and he doesn't even have a shine yet looking good.
I'm impressed! do you suck at basketball? :)

P
Paipo posted on Fri, Dec 14, 2007 2:31 AM

On 2007-12-13 14:42, GMAN wrote:

Today I tried a piece of the green stuff. He needs a buncha clean-up if I want him to be purdy. I promised my first jade Hei-Tiki to someone a LONG time ago. Send me an E if you remember?

-G

:o
Looks like most of the hard work is done to me. Slow it down now, work those planes and it's a downhill run to the finish line.
But where is the foot?

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Dec 14, 2007 7:33 AM

Tikisgrl - Thanks for looking. Yeah, he's hungry...he bit me yesterday.

Tfreak - Nope, not moving to jade. I got an itch and just wanted to try something new and different. I'll leave the jade jewelry work to those professional NZ stoners. I'm more geared up for bonz anyway.

Seeks - Yeah, Gman doesn't play basketball. Most team sports bore the $hit out of me.

Paipo - Is the hard work done or is it just beginning? To me, the hard part is just starting and the easy part is over. I've got neither the toolz or the patience to move him too much further this week. I'm sure I'll pick at him another time.....

-G

B

Excellent start GMANG, you say No more for now but just wait 'till you find out all the other stuff you can carve in jade. Bring it ON!

R
Robin posted on Fri, Dec 14, 2007 4:35 PM

Well all righty then! Pretty impressive there G. You talented types just keep me in awe of all the materials and methods you use in your creations. Very nice Hei-Tiki.

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Dec 14, 2007 6:41 PM

Benz and Robin - Nice jade hack-job aye? My hat is off to Tama and Paipo...working in the green is not too easy.

Today I got a box from my friend Alientiki out in Maui. Inside was the Cannibal Hunter! Ohhhhh, Gman likee this one. Here's some pics of it with my other Alien piece, the Brady Tiki Pendant. I love this guy's work and I am happy to have two of his pieces here.

I also came across a display stand that I can use for my Stick Ki'i carving. He's been a bugger to have out as he can't stand....now he can....Happy Happy!

-Gman

S

Nice G, Santa has been good to you and its not even X-mass.
Your Man shelf is cool thing.

Props to Alien on the gift.

Wow Gman the jade is looking nice. You are quite the renaissance man. Hunter, carver, government agent, and now stone carvering? :o Great work man!!!

Seeksurf... I wish I could say I gave the Tiki to GMAN but he is much more generous than I. He purchased the Tiki as all gifted Tikis must first be approved by my boss. She cracks the whip and doesn't let me take much breaks. She'd have me carving night and day If it wasn't for noise ordinance.

I'm so stoked that the Cannibal Hunter has taken a place of honor amongst such fine carvings there in the man room.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Dec 16, 2007 3:48 PM

Seeks - Yes, Santa has been good to me this year. Seems like there has been a new box showing up here every couple of days. Happy Happy!

Alien - Yes, he will always have a place of honor here in the Manroom. I'm sure he will get moved from here to there...and then back again, as I am always moving things around to change things up. Renaissance man? Hmmmm.

-G

J

Besides waiting for the UPS truck what else have you been doing, carving hopefully??????

GMan, great pics of the "Manroom Shelf." The Cannibal looks super, fits right
in with the other museum pieces. Hey, how about the guy in the upper right
corner of the shelf, are you gonna leave him unfinished? Actually, a really
like the minimalist look but I'm sure you will blow us away when the mood
hits you.

T

Great stuff too G' - Been to New Zealand lately? Startin' to look like it!

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Dec 31, 2007 1:48 PM

JohnnyP - Nope, I'm not waiting on the UPS guy; I've been carving, hunting, ORVing, and tinkering with this and that....you know, the usual.

Conga - The "Guy in the Upper Right" will get "his" when I am ready for him. For now he has gotta sit tight.

Tikigap - Nice to hear from ya! Nope, Gman no go to NZ....yet. Maybe soon?

Here is a mess of pics from today (and a few of other stuff). I made a lot of headway on the big fihure, but still need a few weeks worth of clean up and sanding. I give him like three more months to completion :lol:

Here's a PNG Boar from TJ. Thanks mang. He was at work, but he is better off in the Manroom...

Here's a PNG mask from Santa GwOman

Ya know, I get tired just getting set up these days...

It's a good thing I have help!

Here are some work/progress pics

Happy New Year from Gman and Dr. GwOman

S

Hay G, He is looking sweet as ever! MM-um love that guy!

The mask is crazy cool.
Is the paw sharpening your tools?
More stuff for the man room i see go figure.

those are some killer thighs, the face is looking neato too!!!!1

B

Most INCREDIBLE Work Sir! I see you have been Busy, it Shows. I am Really Loving what you are doing to this guy, his Nose is Really proud and Contemporary looking. His Mouth is Excellent, his Head, just Mind blowing, his Abdomen and thighs are Awesome, Hands, feets, fingers, Old and Gnarly looking, but I'm no expert, I only know what I Like and I Really Likeee! Funny looking toes in that one pic.
I can see why you Hate setting up every day and the Problem is Obvious and easily fixable! You have too many toolz to be putting out and then away every day. You Don't need any more than 4 or 5 chizels. I'll come and show which ones to keep and bring the rest home with me so they won't be getting in yer weigh you down.?! :lol: :lol:
It is really great seeing your work again, Thanks for adding a Sparkle to my day.

just...incredible, amazing detail, style..everthing.
AMAZING WORK!

T

Hi G.
This is awesome work. I really like the clean look of the face and the much, much, much details on the body. You mentioned that you was doing it all with a hook-knife. I am not sure what is meant by that, do you have a picture of it? Perhaps it means something different over here. Well, I have one but did not manage to get so deep into the wood as you did. I would have tried some v-chisels for that.
Anyway, awesome.

J

Nice to see you hard at work in the wood realm again! Fabuluss spiral carving, not easy, but yet you make it look so.
Thanks for posting!

Un-Real G! superb-i-mous. The coloring in the cedar is working perfectly for maximum effect too.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Jan 6, 2008 4:04 PM

Seeks - The owner of that [aw was helping me out. He's good company. Thanks for the kind words about the Teko.

Tikifreak - So you're a thigh man, aye? I'm a leg man too!

Benzart - What can I say? Thanks. I'm glad he added some "sparkle" to your day. :)

Duddy - Thanks buddy.

Tok-Tok - I am using mostly chisels on his chest but with the hook-knife in areas I can't reach with the chisels....like in between the fingerz. Benz's "Tools Carvers Use" thread should discuss the hook in depth.

JohnnyP - Not easy...yes. Me make it look easy, no. Glad you likeee! When are you gonna show us your new frames?

Surftiki - Thanks for comment and the "new" word. I'm going to try to use superb-i-mous every day this week :D

I've been out relaxing and watching sunrises and sunsets....relaxing makes me tired....I'm going to bed.

-G

G, I know you don't really sell your art anymore but I need me some Gman carvings for my new "man room"!!! I don't care how long it takes, PLEASE!!! Maori style!!!

Thanks!!!!

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Jan 7, 2008 2:15 PM

TFreak - I imagine we can work something out. I had a piece in my suitcase for you already.....he's not Maori influenced, but I think you'll likee. See ya next week.

B
Babalu posted on Mon, Jan 7, 2008 9:17 PM

GMAN! Wow buddy! This is some really, really fine work! Your right up there helping to lead the pack sir. Damn FINE!

C

You are kicking butt in the south there GMan, but all you fancy carvin'
Florida guys kick butt. Extremely nice work on the latest of the GMan
family.

B

Thanks for the shout today Gmang, it wuz nice hearin' from 'ya. You have been neglecting your Beautiful Teko here the past few dayz and I Sure hope the Ancients don't take offense and start doling out retribution. Ant carving plans for this coming Weekend? (No Ducking out of town to get out of it either!) :lol: :lol:
Doc says I need a steady diet of that teko updates s get to work, need to see the prescription?...

R

Hey, great to see some progress on this one. His face is what gets me. It's so wise looking. The detail and refinements you put into your work sets a standard for excellence. Great piece.

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Jan 12, 2008 5:16 PM

Babalu - Thanks man! How are things? I've been waiting to see your woody version of the piece you mocked-up in clay. Any thoughts about starting him? He looked like a great project.

Conga - Or is he kicking my butt? No way to know.... until we dance the last dance. We'll see who has enough gas left in the last round. I'm pacing myself :wink:

Benzo - It could appear that I am neglecting him...only I am sitting, thinking, and creating a plan/approach for the next steps. Well....., OK, yes I am slacking and neglecting him. I hope to have some more work to show you soon. You don't need a prescription here on My Island....only patients.

Robin - So nice to hear from you! I am happy that you approve of the recent progress on my figure. You have a sharp and trained eye and I appreciate that you take the time to share your "view."

-G

B

Word up G....I botched that log up at the last Chop and went too deep on it...it's savable, but I have to figure out some other way of approaching the front hand. Been slinging clay lately...I haven't breathed in any fine wood particles for a spell now...I need to change that. :)

Keep representing GMAN! Your top shelf in my book brother!

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Jan 14, 2008 4:07 AM

I gotcha Babs. I hope you get him on track and show him to us. He's one that has to be made.

I have a neat clay idea for you, if you wanna discuss. Let's bring in the the Big BenZart and see what we can do?

-G

Yeah, I would like to get in on one of those Babs, Benz, and G collaborations if it goes down to buy$$$$!!!

M
MBL posted on Tue, Jan 15, 2008 9:07 AM

I gotta get with you again and do some carving...Once we finish this chopped 26 T Sedan it will be on. By the sedan is gonna be Tiki themed!
Tim
MBL

Good seeing you again and thanks again for the Thai!!!
Yummy!!! Lets see some update shots of the Maori!

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Jan 18, 2008 3:40 PM

Ahoy! I'm back from DC and glad to be home! Yuck! COLD! ....but it was great chillin' with TFreak, talking carving, and scoring some Thai..

I came home today and found another box on my doorstep....This one was from the mighty HELZER! I had no idea this was coming......I think I might need to start drinking again! Thanks Helzer and Pop!!! You guys really made me smile today!!! I love the color choice and the way it feels in the hand....sweet!

I put it up on the Man-shelf for now, but I think might have to use this one!

All smiles here brothers!!! Thanks for the "Biter-Mug"

-G

S

Welcome back G, More stuff for the Man room shelf,
Cool.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2950 replies