Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Gman vs Wild - Page 1; Kotiate Warrior 183; BoatMan 184; Gman Lizard Dance 190; Screamer 193

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2,950 replies

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Mar 8, 2008 5:50 AM

Robin - The rubber seems to be OK. It's real smooth to carve. I hope to have the big teko finished this weekend.

Babalu - Yeah man, you can head over for a dip anytime. Izzit cold over there?

Benella - Keep smiling and use those toolz!!!

Benzo - Hey! Are you up and about? I hope you are feeling well. Thanks for the notes on the crawler and the big teko. I hope to finish off he big guy and make some progress on the crawler this weekend.

I'm just back from a week-long work trip and I'm beat. Here are some pics from my island stops where we were meeting with local fishermen. I didn't have much personal time, but I did take some shots from the hotel grounds.

First up is a shot from my room in Puerto Rico not too sporty:

Then we were off to St. Thomas. Here are some pics from the main house:

Then off to St. Croix......these pics are from the big plantation house.

Here's a shot of an old sugar mill next to the main house...

These cats still make a lot of rum on the islands and bottles of rum can be had for $2.50 to $3.50 a bottle. Too bad I don't drink anymore....

Glad to be back at Club Greg. Carving pics will follow......

G$

R
Robin posted on Sat, Mar 8, 2008 10:38 AM

Nice to see your feet again...I think you have a great job! Welcome home.

Looks a lot better than Silver Spring!!!! Get carving!!!

S

Yes, the ONE the ONLY Gman foot! gotta love it. :)
Looks really nice there.

J

Ok, back to the tiki, typical Gman perfection.

Nice vacation pictures!

Rum at $2.50 a bottle...no wonder you had to steady yourself with your feet on the handrails. :)

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Mar 9, 2008 7:50 PM

According to my calendar, the weekend should almost be over there....what's happening with the crawler? Boy, you sure do it hard in your job! that reminds me, I gotta PM you about some sharky stuff soon....

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Mar 12, 2008 12:15 PM

I know...I've got it tough :wink: Work is hell.

I'll get back to the crawler soon. I thought I was going to carve last weekend, but it was Dr. Rita's birthday on Saturday and you guys know how it works.......

-G

B

Man I can't believe how excellent your 2 pieces are GMAN, That new guy Rocks! What I Really love is the Sneeker, how did you get that detail so fine, and the Color is SO Real? Really Well done..

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Mar 14, 2008 2:48 PM

Hey Benzo. Back from the deadzo I see? Good. Now get to work!

So check out this slob of a cedar log I got today. SWEET! I see a new Teko in there..... :D

-G$

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Mar 15, 2008 11:27 AM

I put that cedar log through the Gman home saw mill (see below) to cut out the good chunks. This particular log was home to metal wires (Aack!), some serious fungus, and a colony of termites. I hate termites. Anyway, I got 17 nice chunks to play with. Most of the wood will be used for small/medium pieces for the Manroom. I was able to salvage one large chunk that I will use for my next long term project. I need to let it dry for a while, but soon I will begin a year or so long carve to make a large/medium sized Teko with both arms kicked back, back bowed, and his head tipped forward. I couldn't help myself and used a marker to draw on it already.....

I had the saw real sharp today.....:D

Laters,

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

[ Edited by: GMAN 2008-03-17 03:51 ]

And you thought I had A.D.D.???? Looking cool though!!!

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Mar 15, 2008 3:42 PM

Naw Freak, no A.D.D. - I'm just getting wood stocked up so it has time to dry some before I need to chop into it. I want that wet cedar to age some so I know where the checks are gonna be. I still have a few sessions to spend on the Crawler and then I want to make some Bonz. Hopefully after that I can work in some of the cedar.

Wait...so....where do ya get a hunk o' wood like that? 'specially down thar in fla?

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Mar 16, 2008 3:16 PM

Surfin - My friend scored like three trucks full of cedar logs. He offered this one to me. I took it happily :D

Here are some update pics of the Crawler. Still a long way to go.....

-G$

Now that's the BALLZZZZZ!!!!

Now we're talkin".
Smooth as a tiki's butt.
Nice work GMan.

J

On 2008-03-16 15:16, GMAN wrote:

This picture looks kinda bad....

Most excellent carving.

Every time I see this carving Linkin Park lyrics resonate in my head
"there's something inside me that pulls beneath the surface
consuming/confusing what is real
this lack of self-control I fear is never ending
controlling/confusing what is real

crawling in my skin
these wounds they will not heal
fear is how I fall
confusing confusing what is real"

I like the one man sawmill, looks like we're in for a treat this summer.

R
Robin posted on Sun, Mar 16, 2008 5:48 PM

Oh man G! He's really crawling out of that wood. Very very nice. Love the tilt of the head..so expressive.

ohhh Cooooool. Now there's a twist on things! It makes me think of American Werewolf in London!
He's gonna be MEAN lookin!

B

CHOICE!

B

Very good my friend. Can't wait to see him finished.

Benjamin.

S

Ya, the crawler is looking clean and mean. He has
a great shape and is unique to me.

Nice score on the wood.

B

Thanks for the Jingle today GMAN, it was Great to hear from you. I see you have really been hitting your Crawler with the Sandpaper already, C'mon Work Faster, we NEED to see this guy finished! Quit goofing around and work a little for a change :lol: :lol: :lol:

H

Lookin' sweet my friend! Some mighty sexy shots of the crawler--especially the poolside photo shoot! Wish I knew you were goin' to the USVI-I could'a pointed you out some spots to purchase some fine vacation/resort tees designed by yours truly--I do alot of work for the VI's. Nice score on the yummy looking logs too. Chips will be flingin!

Aloha GMAN!!!
You have some excellent carvings my friend and this latest is looking very cool!Aloha , Mooney

J

You dead?

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Mar 23, 2008 2:10 PM

Tikifreak - Ballzz!

Conga - Thanks Buddy! He's almost starting to get there.

JohnnyP - The one man sawmill has been a good friend over the years. Thanks for the song. The crazy pics were all for you man...

Robin - Thanks. I'm trying.

Surfin' - New twist - yeah, I've not seen one of these done around here.

Benella - He'll be done someday? I think?

Seeks - Thanks for stopping by. Your Waffle-man is the shitz! Top idol for sure.

Benzo - Work faster? Hmmm. Where you bean?

Brad - Hey man. I guess the crawler could be sexy....in a real weird sorta way?

Mooney - Thanks bro. I appreciate the wordz.

JohnnyP - "You dead"? Kinda maybe....almost.

So, it's getting warm down here and summer is right around the corner. Lottsa fun stuff to do here in summer :D. I spent the day working on a new handle for a spare CrocHammer. I used an old chair leg.

Here are some progress shots and a death roll.....

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

[ Edited by: gman 2008-03-23 15:12 ]

Whoah! Too cool, what r ya gonna do with it?!

B

Excellent bangstick greggie, I Likee.
Surfin, he's gonna mount a bang stick in the business end of that gator and then get that close to a real, Pissed-opff gator and let him have it between the eyes. The Aussie "Crock Hunter" got Nuthin on our crazy GMAN.

Nice croc stick G-wizzle!!! Benz, hopefully he doesn't end up like the "Aussie croc hunter", crickies!!!

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Mar 24, 2008 5:05 PM

Surfin' - yeah, what Benz said.

Benzo - Im not crazy. All I wanted was a Pepsi.....and she wouldn't get it for me.

Tikifreak - You need to come on down for a BoarBQ samich and some Gator bites.

Sounds good!! I've never had gator before and you got me to eat Thai!!! But just as long as I can have a Pepsi.............just one Pepsi!!!

B

Brother G...I'm a groovin on that Croc smacker!

But wait! Lookie see what Babalu's neighbor found for him at the flea market this last weekend for a $1.00 a piece. They are called "mauls". One uses them to pound big tent stakes into the ground...you know, like circus tents and the like. They is heavy! Email me your address and I will ship a real croc smacker to you to chip on....I'll ship from work and let the boss pay for shipping. :)

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Mar 25, 2008 11:58 AM

Whoa!

R
Robin posted on Tue, Mar 25, 2008 8:43 PM

Nice way to spend the day in sunny Florida. Pretty nice use of an old chair leg too. Could really feel that death roll. Glad I'm not an alligator with you on patrol! Nice one G.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Mar 26, 2008 4:47 AM

Nice work mate, that crawler is coming along sweet :D

B

Hey If you could put a short 6" bang stick head in the head of that Maul, it might work great, One for each hand! But then you'd have to carve Both Handles too!

G- Where you at???

J

On 2008-03-29 18:17, tikifreak1 wrote:
G- Where you at???

My bet is in a swamp somewhere!

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Mar 30, 2008 5:43 PM

I hear he was bowfishing for gar.....

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Apr 2, 2008 3:47 PM

I got my monster hammer today :D Thanks Babalu! Now what to make with it........?????

On 2008-04-02 15:47, GMAN wrote:
I got my monster hammer today :D Thanks Babalu! Now what to make with it........?????

oh man, G's got a brain-smasher..! At least we've all got time to run while he scrolls it up.. :lol:

T :wink:

*(finally got bband & will hopefully be able to keep up with progress..)

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Apr 2, 2008 4:44 PM

On 2008-03-24 17:05, GMAN wrote:

Benzo - Im not crazy. All I wanted was a Pepsi.....and she wouldn't get it for me.

I'm not sure if Ben would've got that, but I sure did. :)
Always on regular rotation in my shop:

GATORMAUL! GATORMAUL! GATORMAUL!

B

NONE of you guyz can have my Last Pepsi.
Greg, We\heres the crawler, you send him out for a fridge pack of Pepsi? Maybe he's Hoofing it on over here for fear you won't come and he would be upset, He has brothers here he Has gotta see!.

B

On 2008-03-24 17:05, GMAN wrote:

How can you be crazy when you went to THEIR schools? THEIR churches? THEIR institutional learning facilities? :)

Knock us out with them Babalu mallets, GMAN!

Aloha GMAN!
You are one Creative and Talented Artist my friend! Are you gonna bring by some of those Very Cool carvings so we can see them in person at Bens Carvin Chop? I know I hope so and look fwd to meeting you and everyone else,Aloha Mooney

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Apr 11, 2008 4:29 AM

Hey guys,

I wasn't sure if any of you catz listened to ST, but I guess some of you do :D Good stuff!

I appreciate the comments from all of you who have stopped by lately. Sorry that I haven't been carving much or very active on the boards. My head just isn't in it right now. I'm hoping I can pick up the toolz and get a little done this weekend.

The one good chunk of cedar I was able to salvage from that big log has checked up real bad. I may go ahead and try to rough a piece out of it and see if I can avoid some of the split areas. Maybe that's what I need..... a little QT with the saw.

Again, sorry for not being 'round.

B

Its OK GMAN, hopefully your head will get screwed down again this weekend, if not, I'll talk to you when I get home and maybe use that big maul to beat your head back in place Real good! Ha,ou take Care now, Y'a Hear? :lol: :lol:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2950 replies