Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Gman vs Wild - Page 1; Kotiate Warrior 183; BoatMan 184; Gman Lizard Dance 190; Screamer 193

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2,950 replies

S

Yes, the saw gets the blood pumping.
Good to hear from ya.

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Apr 12, 2008 10:43 AM

Hey Benz and Seeks,

I cut into that cedar chunk this morning. The heat got to me after a few hours. I packed it in early, but at least I got something accomplished. Here are some pics...

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrppppppp!!!!!!

Laters,

J

On 2008-04-12 10:43, GMAN wrote:
Hey Benz and Seeks,
The heat got to me after a few hours.

GGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. D&^(^(%$$#

I'm in by the fireplace trying to warm up.

Nicely spent couple hours, Glad to see you carving again, miss the Gstyle updates.

Even your throw away pieces are bigger than my cedar log!
Looks like another G-classic!

Aloha GMAN!!!
It looks like your head has cleared a bit and I am glad my friend. Glad to see you back creating more Sweet Tiki's and this one looks like another excellent start,Aloha, Mooney

Right On G! good to see your feet.

Looking good!

Ohhhh yeah!

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Apr 13, 2008 11:47 AM

JohnnyP - Sorry you are so cold. I got cold here today too. Its like 70 and rainy. Brrrrr. Yesterday my thermo hit 90. Aack!

Surfin' - Yeah, using this log is a stretch. It has rot and checks and is pretty much a loser. I'm gonna see what I can do with it though.

Mooney - Thanks for the support man. I'm feeling a bit better which allows me to be a little creative. Speaking of creative, the work you are doing with those Lonos is amazing. That is some fine and fancy stuff. I hope to see you and some of those pieces at Benzo's.

Seeks - YO!

Tikifreak :D What's for dinner?

The guy I started yesterday has cracks on cracks and dry rot where he has no cracks. Aaack!! After giving in to the heat yesterday, I decided to give him another beating today. The first thing I did was cut off one of his legs...no really, I did. It was rotted and I decided I should put some better wood there. You can see the donor log in one of the pics. After the below the knee amputation procedure, I got to work on his arms and his back. I needed to dig out the area between his elbows and chip out the wood under his pits. I monkeyed around some more and then I began fitting him for his new leg. After the glue dries and I get some shaping done, I will fit him with a few wooded pins to keep him strong.

-G$

BIG MAC!!!! Nice foot transplant!

Another reason to check the threads, GMan is back!

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Apr 14, 2008 5:55 PM

Thanks Freak and Conga. He may be a lost cause, but maybe, just maybe he'll be neato. Who noze?
-G$

B

YAY! GMAN is back! Can't wait to see where you go with this one G....I'm a HUGE fan of yours Master G! Be sure to post progress as you go...

S

Very nice leg replacement you a PRO.
He has a great shape started Id keep going.

B

The Shadow Nose. Man, How'd you do that, I mean with the missing leg and stuff, MUST be some foto-chop trick photography or sumpthin!
Thanks for the Jingle yesterday, great hearing from you.

T

Good stuff man, love the elbow design.

B

Dr.GMAN to O.R. stat! We can rebuild him!

Like a surgeon.

H
harro posted on Wed, Apr 16, 2008 6:06 AM

nice transplant Dr. G! Look forward to seeing him recover and grow!

all this Dr. G / Mr. G talk reminded me of a show back home in Oz called Summer Heights High where one actor plays all 3 main characters. One of them is Mr. G, a camp drama teacher. If you want a bit of a laugh, here's a youtube of a Mr. G segment

cheers,
harro.

Aloha GMAN! Looking as good as ever! It was nice talking to you and keep up those incredable carvins that you create and bring some to Bens Carving Chop in May I know alot of people would love to see em!Aloha your friend, Mooney

[ Edited by: MooneyTiki 2008-04-16 16:43 ]

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Apr 17, 2008 5:43 PM

Hey all,

Thanks for the notes. Yes, we can rebuild him. We have the technology...and glue :D.

Just got back from a three day work trip to DC. I got home at 6:00 pm and was out carving by 6:20 :wink: I got to see TikiFreak while I was up there and he showed me his finished Aumakua. DAYUM! is that a wild piece. We sat there and looked at him and laughed for a long time. I loved it. He should be very proud. For his second carving it is outstanding. It would actually be an outstanding carving for anyone.

Anyway, we got some grub and talked carving most of the night. I was scratching to carve so bad that I got right out to it once I got home. I worked on fitting and shaping that block of wood I used to replace that rotted leg. Here's how it looks now. Obviously I have lots to do, but it will work out fine.

Happy Happy,

G$

J

Happy Happy Happy, G's got the itch to carve again........

You ain't kiddin! The transplant worked out awesome, just like your drawing.

B

Woah, you even matched the grain/colors up pretty tight too! How'd'ja do that? Glad you were able to spend time with that tikifreak up there with that awesome ugly carving. COOL.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Apr 17, 2008 8:02 PM

I was concerned, but I think he's gonna work out. He's cracking a lot, but I think I can work around that.

Thanks for checking in you guys.....

-G

B

Nice work Doc' !

Benjamin.

Slipping off the page G..

Whatchoo up to then? Off playing Tarzan no doubt..

My broadband needs pics! Carve something would ya?!

Miss ya,
T :)

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Apr 25, 2008 8:55 AM

Tama,

Howdie. Tarzan stuff....yeah, pretty much. I've been out doing a lot of fishing - some swordfish and sharkfishing and a lot of bowfishing for freshwater invasive species as well as gar. I can hunt African and South American fish species all in one day here in Florida, and all in my friend's back yard :D

I've been having some respiratory problems and the doc has told me to stay away from carving for a while. We'll see what happens with my lungs. Hopefully I don't get any worse and hopefully this will go away. I'm pretty uncomfortable. I'll try to be around more even though I'll likely not have any work to post for a while.

Thanks for the note - and for keeping me from falling off the page...

-G$

B

G man, I'm Sorry t hear you are not feeling well. Not being able to breathe is the Worst feeling I know. Get out the Albuterol inhalers and rest up for a couple daze. :(

B

Hope you'll feel better very soon bro.
Take care of you.

Benjamin.

Get better G!!!! Can't go long without progress pics!!!!

[ Edited by: tikifreak1 2008-04-25 15:28 ]

On 2008-04-25 08:55, GMAN wrote:
Tama,

Howdie. Tarzan stuff....yeah, pretty much. I've been out doing a lot of fishing - some swordfish and sharkfishing and a lot of bowfishing for freshwater invasive species as well as gar...

I've been having some respiratory problems and the doc has told me to stay away from carving for a while...

*Arent you supposed to be "protecting" our fishy friends..?? Only kidding, Im guessing these are all problem species?
Have you ever taken out a swordfish - with a sword? Its asking for it really. Just a thought.. :wink:

Sorry to hear youve not been well - especially as it takes you away from something you love and do so well..
*Is this an independant Doc we're talking about, or is Mrs G just fussin' over her widdle G-hubby..? Again, kidding - take care of yourself and get back into that workshop when all is cool. Not kidding!

We wont let you fall off the page!

H
hewey posted on Fri, Apr 25, 2008 5:46 PM

Rest up and take it easy big feller - its worth listening to the docs for the long term, even if in the short term it sucks

Hang in there big man!

S

G Hope you are filling well soon.
You are scaring me I haven't been wearing
my mask much. I have heard the cedar can be
problematic with some people.

he is looking so cool gman. i hope you are well and keep up the good work my friend

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Apr 27, 2008 8:01 PM

All,

Thanks for the kind, caring words. Yes, I wear a respirator almost every time I sand or grind. For some reason I am having a bad reaction to this cedar. I did do a little work with out my mask and I'm sure I ate some dust, but I wouldn't have thought it would cause me this much grief. Be smart, use your masks.

I'll be back in the shop soon. As soon as Doc Rita gives me the green light. Until then, I'm going fishing....

-G$

R
Robin posted on Mon, Apr 28, 2008 8:15 AM

Be well G....nice work on that repair.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, May 1, 2008 12:47 PM

Thanks Robin. I appreciate the note. We'll see how the leg works out. It should be OK. I haven't checked on him in a bit, so I'll unwrap him and see if his cracks are any worse.

Been fishing a lot. I forgot how much I used to enjoy that.......

-G

G
GMAN posted on Fri, May 9, 2008 5:05 AM

Gonna give carving a go this weekend. Gonna try for a dust-free session.

R
Robin posted on Fri, May 9, 2008 5:24 AM

Yay....are you going for an hermetically sealed carving suit? Glad you're feeling better.

J

a dust free session????? Well, hurricane season is coming, that should blow the dust away from you.

Good to know you are getting back into it.

John

G
GMAN posted on Fri, May 9, 2008 11:11 AM

"are you going for an hermetically sealed carving suit?"

Yeah, pretty much. I'm going for the "Bubble-Boy" look.....

-G

S

Right on G, Let the chips fly.

On 2008-05-09 05:05, GMAN wrote:
Gonna give carving a go this weekend. Gonna try for a dust-free session.

Good to hear Gman! Cocaine is a killer; you dont need it! :lol: :wink:

So did you get any carving done..?

TTT :)

G
GMAN posted on Sun, May 11, 2008 9:35 AM

Q = "So did you get any carving done..?"

A = Slow down there hotrod, the weekend is only half over on this side of the world!

So anyway, I heard these stange sounds this morning at Club Greg. It took me a while to figure out what it was. It sounded so foreign, yet strangely familiar. In the end, I determined that it was just me carving. I haven't heard those sounds for quite some time....

Before I got to it, I donned the Chainsaw Mauf :) I needed all the help I could get.

I called it quits at about noon. Here are some pics from today:

G$

SWEET! Love the posturing on this guy. Another beautiful piece coming, from the G-man cannon!!

Agreed - you're really accentuating those poses and bringing 'motion' to the work. And all without drugs! Go G!

The Chainsaw Mauf is family!

Looking good G$!!!!

S

Nice G! Love the look thus far. Great to see the
chips flying at the house.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2950 replies