Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Gman vs Wild - Page 1; Kotiate Warrior 183; BoatMan 184; Gman Lizard Dance 190; Screamer 193

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2,950 replies

On 2008-09-26 05:29, GMAN wrote:
Until then, I'll be in the tall grass......waiting.....watching.....
-G$

B

Now if he would have had his hook knife in that hand he could have cut himself free! :P

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Sep 27, 2008 2:38 PM

Hello TJ and Benzo! Nice nasty pic :D

I'll be out after them all night tonight. Hopefully I come back with all my appendages! Here's a pic from last year with JohnnyP's PNG Croc Horn.

-G$

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Sep 28, 2008 1:26 PM

I still have both my hands :D. Time for me to sleep........

But first a sunrise pic for Buzzy.......

-G$

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

[ Edited by: GMAN 2008-09-28 13:27 ]

What a beautiful start to what looks like a GREAT day for you!

Nice score!
Buzzy Out!

C
Cammo posted on Sun, Sep 28, 2008 3:36 PM

Man, talk about fishing for Big Ones! If I caught that thing on my line, it's time to CUT THE LINE.

What the heck do you DO WITH THAT THING???

Can we have a few teeth to carve, or do ya have plans for 'em? What's the aftermarket on those teeth? And what about the hands & feet? Can you put 'em on ice and ship them to Bay Park, San Diego USA c/o Buzzy the Tiki Guy?

Crap, I really want a tooth.

J

Gate R' Done!

B

All RIGHT! Nice to see first , BOTH those hands back there, glad You still got'em and not the Gator :P . Man, he be's a HEAVY Duty boy, how much did he weigh out?.
C.mon home now and get back to the Real Work :)

S

Nice G looks like a great time.

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Oct 8, 2008 5:16 PM

Buzzy - Yes, it was a beautiful morning - I've been seeing a lot of sunrises lately...... :D

Cammo - I will get you a tooth. You do know they are mostly hollow, right? In regards to the alligator, I will eat the meat and the hide is being tanned for me. I have one more CITES tag to fill.....

JP - :wink:

Benno - I dunno what he weighed. I couldn't lift him alone. He wasn't real big though.

Seeks - Yep, good stuff. Kinda like claming, but with a little more fear and adrenaline involved.

-G$

B

On 2008-10-08 17:16, GMAN wrote:

:o Where does this beauty come from ? :o NZ ? :o

I would love to have more pix of the whole parts as close (please, please, please).

Benjamin.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Oct 9, 2008 10:59 AM

Benella - yes, he is from NZ. He's a new addition to the Man Room. I'll post more pics of him soon. I'm currently trying to gather info on him. More later.....

-G

T

On 2008-10-08 17:16, GMAN wrote:
Cammo - I will get you a tooth. You do know they are mostly hollow, right? In regards to the alligator, I will eat the meat and the hide is being tanned for me. I have one more CITES tag to fill.....

I did not know that about the teeth. Interesting. I was wondering myself what you did with these dudes once u caught em.

I was gonna ask what they taste like, but I think I know what the answer will be. :D

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Oct 9, 2008 12:43 PM

Tastes like chiggin, only betta :D

T

On 2008-10-09 12:43, GMAN wrote:
Tastes like chiggin, only betta :D

Aw, man, you had to go there! :P

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Oct 11, 2008 6:06 PM

BigT - Yeah, sorry, but it is kinda true I guess. If I said it tasted like alligator you really wouldn't have an idea what it was like. It really doesn't taste like chicken.

Here are a few more pics of the NZ Teko for Benella.....

-Gman

[ Edited by: GMAN 2008-10-13 07:27 ]

B

Quit lusting after those Cypress trees!
Beautiful Teko you have there, what have you found out about him?
Nice boat trip too.

Is there a story about the Teko that I missed? Just trying to catch up from
a trip to southeast Tennessee and this was the first post I checked. Did you
carve it? I know that you and maybe a couple of other old farts could have.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Oct 12, 2008 5:32 AM

Benno - not a lot. Here's what I know from the writing on the back of it: the carving is a Teko Teko (duh); it was carved from a NZ wood called Kauri; and, it was carved by a man named "Hemi" which is Jimmy or James. Last bit of info on it that I thought was N-2 is really N-Z for Zew Zealand (thanks TTT). I've found info on one carver who goes by James "Hemi" XXXXXX, but I don't know if it will be possible to find out if he made it.

Conga - naw man, this guy wuz not a G-Benno creation. I got it from a friend who got it from Craig's list. I've been trying to find out poop on it. How you bean? Long time no chippee?

-G$

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Oct 12, 2008 5:33 AM

double post

-G$

[ Edited by: GMAN 2008-10-12 05:38 ]

B

Jonesey, Thats just Downright SICK Man, :cry: :(

Looks like it would Work GREAT Too! :P :D :lol:
Now where DO we get some of that squirrel bait?

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Oct 12, 2008 8:06 AM

Gman nose.....

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Oct 13, 2008 5:20 AM

[ Edited by: GMAN 2008-10-13 07:25 ]

On 2008-10-11 18:06, GMAN wrote:
Here are a few more pics of the NZ Teko for Benella.....

Just so as you know , that photo above , and the others that go with it , are of a tekoteko , not a teko.

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Oct 13, 2008 6:22 AM

Yeah, I know. Sorry, didn't mean to offend.

On 2008-10-13 06:22, GMAN wrote:
Yeah, I know. Sorry, didn't mean to offend.

So why call it by a word that does not exist in the reo ?
You diminish the mana of the ancestor it depicts

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Oct 13, 2008 6:41 AM

I don't want a fight here man. Take it easy. I already apologized.

(edited for spelling)

[ Edited by: GMAN 2008-10-13 06:43 ]

B

Easy now gentlemen the fact it that this carving is actually Very Nice and it has roots in NZ and is an Above average tourist piece, no matter what you call it. Teko, TekoTeko, Tiki, Warrior, NZ guy, Maori guy, whatever, To call it a teko and have someone get bent out of shape by that is pretty PETTY. If it offends so much why not just say you would "prefer you to call this a tekoteko as it may be disrespectful not to"? It is Not a big deal it is a wood carving.
Gman would you have more photos? I Love the detail on this guy?

On 2008-10-13 06:59, Benzart wrote:
Easy now gentlemen the fact it that this carving is actually Very Nice and it has roots in NZ and is an Above average tourist piece, no matter what you call it. Teko, TekoTeko, Tiki, Warrior, NZ guy, Maori guy, whatever, To call it a teko and have someone get bent out of shape by that is pretty PETTY. If it offends so much why not just say you would "prefer you to call this a tekoteko as it may be disrespectful not to"? It is Not a big deal it is a wood carving.
Gman would you have more photos? I Love the detail on this guy?

Mangle you own language if you must . Leave the indigenous one of this country intact ok .

B

"Mangle you own language if you must . Leave the indigenous one of this country intact ok ."

C'mon Jock,no one is "Mangling" Anyones language here man, I don't understand the issue.

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Oct 13, 2008 8:02 AM

double post

[ Edited by: GMAN 2008-10-13 08:41 ]

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Oct 13, 2008 8:04 AM

Jock - I apologized already. I already said I didn't mean to offend anyone. People often abbreviate terms when writing on the web. What you are doing here is trolling and it is frowned upon here at TC. I request that you back off.

-Gman

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Oct 13, 2008 8:06 AM

triple post - TC was not loading on my end.

[ Edited by: GMAN 2008-10-13 08:43 ]

There is no such word in the Maori Reo as teko.
And the 'internet practice of shortening words , does not legitimise the invention and use of it .
Gman , you said that you already knew , yet you went ahead and did it anyway Why ?

I am not 'trolling' , my seconed reply was to benzart.

About that particular tekoteko , there is a very good chance that it was moulded on a machine like this

'Hemi' the carver ?

The giveaways are the lack of clean sharp lines and the sanded smoothness . Some sanding marks are easily seen.
Maori wood carvers here do not generally use sandpaper. They usually surface pare .
There is some obvious tearing in the wood . Tearing that , if it did happen when being handcarved , would be pared away .
It is highly unlikely that the wood is kauri . No carver worth his salt would stain kauri , because that would destroy the chatoyance that kauri is prized for .

There is a fair chance that the 'tekoteko' was not even manufactured in either Te WahiPounamu or Aotearoa NZ .

In the heart of my soul . I would that I had been born in Celtic lands
But I was born here . A Celt in Maori lands . And my heart is content

[ Edited by: Toataiaha 2008-10-13 13:36 ]

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Oct 13, 2008 2:07 PM

Dude, what gives? I've tried to be cool about this. I have apologized and asked you to back off. I already said I meant no offense.

I said I knew what a tekoteko is, most of us do. I apologized for calling it a "teko", a shortened version of the word I have used a thousand times here as have many other people on TC. I understand it is not a real word....I will try not to refer to things as "tekos" if others are sensitive to that. I meant no offense. You could also avoid my thread if it bothers you that much. That might make both of us happy.

Any info I posted about the carving is what was offered up to me from some other NZ carvers when I asked them about it. I'm not going to debate that with you.

To me, you seemed to just want a fight? I'm not going to give it to you here. Please go away now. Thank you. Have a nice day.

Have it your own way mate .
Enjoy your machine made pinus radiata object .

No way that was Machine Made. You can see chisel marks in the spirals and other places. I get the same marks when i try a spiral.

Good score on that one Gman. I would be VERY happy if i had one just like it.

B

I Agree T-Mec, Unless you have laid a chisel into wood carving those Koro you would have no idea what kind of marks were left by that chisel and there is no other tool that can leave those marks like that.

B

Hey G-, thanks for the pix, it makes me really happy... And happy that a carver like you fell on this treasure.

Sorry for not having answered before but I moved and I'm "internet-less" !

Benjamin.

WOW! Maybe you should put it back on Craig's list? JK, I bet it looks cool in the "man room". Enjoy.

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Oct 18, 2008 7:11 AM

Benella - You are welcome for the pics. Let me know if there are any other parts of him you would like more pics of.

TFreak - Nah man, He's not going back on Craig's list. He will be right here being enjoyed by me - just as the carver who made him for the tourist trade intended.

I am set to try to fill my last lizard tag tomorrow night. Hopefully I am able to do that and then get back to carving this fellow here. I would like to do some more sanding and then get to carving some small stuff on his surface. I appologize for the lack of carving progress here, but as I get older all the other things I like to do seem to be getting harder on me and I take longer to recover.

-G

Looks Great Gman!
always loving that red!

B

GMAN! GMAN! GeeeeeMAN! You the bomb GMAN! You rock this house from the foundation to the rafters! Keep it comin' brother.

Sweet carve GMAN you are a master at this.

Old man or not I love seeing your work.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Oct 30, 2008 5:03 AM

Duddy, Babalu, and Seeks,

Thanks for stopping in. My home computer that was barely hanging on is no longer with us. I can only get her to start in safe mode; and only on 1 out of 10 start up attempts. SO, I need a new machine. I'll get one set up here as I start spending less time in the woodz and on the water and more time at the carving bench. Standy by.......

-Gman

B

I don't know man, I think he has a big but! :P :lol: :D
Hi Guy, Where 'ya been?

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Oct 31, 2008 4:43 AM

Hi Benno. I bean in the woodz, working for the man, and licking my wounds. Yous OK over there?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2950 replies