Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Gman vs Wild - Page 1; Kotiate Warrior 183; BoatMan 184; Gman Lizard Dance 190; Screamer 193

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2,950 replies

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Nov 9, 2008 12:02 PM

Helloha,

I have a new 'puter and now I should be back online a bunch. I still have lots to do in the field, but I'm starting to feel the need to chip wood again. I think that is a good thing. I think the time away from the toolz will help me in the long run.

B

Hey, Ya, I'm OK, just Slow. Glad you gots the new box, 'bout time too. Yeah, Chippin wood's a good thing too.

Cool, didja get Vista?

:lol:

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Nov 9, 2008 1:36 PM

yeah, me gots Vista. I had no choice.......

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Nov 9, 2008 5:31 PM

I've got some new additions to the Manroom coming. This is a pic of one of my alligator hides that is drying at the leather tanner's shop. I have one more tanned hide that is not in the drying stage yet. I've managed another set of boars tusks and some more antlers. I'll post some updated pics of the manroom when I get both of those hides back. My freezers are full. Happy happy. I have various hunts planned until at least the end of February, but I'll be chipping on my Tekoteko-inspired carving when I can as I am anxious to get him completed. I've been making lots of drawings trying to decide what to do with his surface. I have not figured it out yet, but hopefully I can decide on something that won't make me more nutz and that will compliment the rest of him.

-G$

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

[ Edited by: GMAN 2008-11-09 17:34 ]

About time!!!

S

cool looking flat reptiles.

You gonna turn them crocs into shoes?

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Nov 11, 2008 4:10 PM

Gman needs gnu shooz, but I'll keeps the gator skins whole and buy some cow skin kicks.

J

I found this pic in an old magazine. I instantly thought of you, then the next thought was I want one of these.

• JP

[ Edited by: JohnnyP 2008-11-12 17:51 ]

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Nov 12, 2008 5:45 PM

Like this Johnny?

Try these guys....they have hide rugs for sale

http://www.tellmewhereonearth.com/Web%20Pages/Gators/Gators_Page_4.htm

-G$

B

Cool Stuff GMANG, Johnny, Nobody was supposed ta know about the turtle shells he has stashed away but Of course I'm just joking. G, How ya Been? Everyting cool??
There was a story in out local news paper about CHINESE Fish ink rubbings and it was way cool. I kept expecting your name to pop up but I guess they just don't have the top quality stuff yet???

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Nov 13, 2008 4:42 AM

Those would be JAPANESE fish rubbings, Benno! I have not been working with the fishies much lately. I have had a lot of requests for pieces, but little drive to get painting and make it happen. Do they make a pill for this?

-G$

B

Yeah, they got pills for it, ask any local doc :P :)
The article was about Chinese Fish rubbings and I wanted to call and tell them they were wrong but they had all this Chinese stuff going on so I figured the China peeps had finally started making cheap copies like they have done with the Netsuke and everything else.
You are Correct it SHOULD be Japanese tho.
How ya been?
I'mgonna call you this afternoon!

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Nov 19, 2008 3:45 PM

Hey Benno! You never called? :cry:

Still no gnu chips on the floor here. Been working in the ManRoom though. I shot a pic of this guy as I was taking some shotz of other things. I still like him.

-G

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Nov 27, 2008 8:48 AM

Happy Thanksgiving guys.

I'm sorry I have not been able to put up any work here the last while. I've been very busy hunting all around the state, but I have tried quite hard to pick up the toolz and chip a bit on the tekoteko......only it hasn't been working. I took last weekend off from everything and really tried to get into the wood; no dice. When it just isn't there for me, it just won't happen...I can't force it. We'll see what happens in the next few weeks.

I hope you all are enjoying this special time with your families.

-G

B

Thanks GMAN, I hope your Thanksgiving Holiday is the Best too. Sherry and I are in Alabama with our son and his wife enjoying a Beautiful crisp day.
HappyHappyHappy

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Dec 6, 2008 1:48 PM

I dusted off my toolz today and made some chips. It felt good to do some work on my guy and relax in the yard with the E-Dogg. I'm almost done grocery shopping for the year, so hopefully I will be able to start concentrating on making stuff out of wood again. I attached a few pics from today. First, one of my freezers : ) Then a few pics of that knife I was making. I finished it up and my friend made me up a nice sheath from alligator hide. The other pics are of my carving as I played around today...

-G$

[ Edited by: gman 2008-12-07 11:46 ]

B

Well it's ABOUT Time you quit goofin' off and did some Real work! Did you have a hard time remembering which end of the chizzel to hold on to? :P :D
He's Really looking great GMAN, maybe a little relieved he's not going to spend the est of his life as some half done piece o woodddddddddddddd.

Exquisite'!!!!!
I love the flare of the fingers G. ALL the twist, turns, exaggerations are perfect.. so far!!! Finish 'er up! HA HA

C

Real nice Crocman...er...GMan. Yea I'm really digging the hands and
fingers too....and I'm digging the face...well I'm digging the whole
darn thing. Really good to have some more GMan stuff to drool over.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Dec 7, 2008 11:26 AM

Benno - Yeah, I guess. I've been bit many times from holding the wrong end of the chizzels - you get pretty F-ed up if hold them backards fer too long. They let you know quick if you're doing it wrong.

Surfin - Yeah, this guy has lots of turns, twists, and curves. I took some weird angle shots so you can seez.

Conga - Howdey. Thanks for lookin. I took a bunch more stupid pics here as I did a little work this morning. My hibiscus was blooming today, so I put a flower in the pics just for you. You cold yet?

I'm off for an alligator and fish fry - laters....

-G$

T

Great stuff GMAN - I like the alligator sconces too - I might have to buy a couple small hides... let's see the man room!
The knife is sweet too - you made the blade?

[ Edited by: tikigap 2008-12-07 18:23 ]

good day mate i am loving this little guy keep up the good work.

Alright, glad you're back at it! I love how you get those swirls so clean.

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Dec 9, 2008 4:07 PM

Gap - Howzzit? Glad to see you are still kickin' around the joint! How are you? Are you gonna show us some pics of what you are choppin' at? C'mon, please? The Blade of that knife is from an old Buck skinner that had been used and abused. I figured i could get some more use out of it if I made a new handle for it. Now that I have the sheath too, it will be hitting the swamps with me on many adventures. Those sconces are something JohnnyP found in a pic. I'm not sure where they are from, but they look like caimans to me. Thanks for dropping me a note.

Marcus - So how is our famous carver from down under? I'm glad you came up for air and gave us an update. That new NZ-styled piece you posted is to die for. Since you like my little guy, why don't we trade - straight up. Send me your address and I'll ship him on down. You can keep your big guy for a little while for some marketing, but then pleaze ship him on out to my address. Thanks. :wink:

Freak - When are you coming down for a weekend?

-G$

S

Right on G another beautiful carve it be.

B

Man I LOVE this part of the carving where the piece of wood starts to get tough and not let you just "Have" anything, makes you really work for it. The clean-up and detail refinement makes it and this guy looks like he's under control. Just keeps getting better and better!
Love the skinner skin, Cool and I bet the 'Gators get one look at that and just Jump right in Da Boat! :P
Feels better!

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Dec 17, 2008 4:48 PM

Seeks - Thanks. He be what he bee....

Benno - They jumps in da boat, Gman jumps in da water. No gators in da boats unless theyz REALLY dead.

I've been out beating myself up lately. Been feeling restless.....and old and achey

-G

Motercycles,Gators and Killer Carvings talk about a SWEET Trifecta!!! GMAN, You look like your havin fun and another SMOKIN Carving going on there.It looks Aweasome!!!!Have a merry christmas,Aloha, Mooney

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Dec 25, 2008 2:16 PM

Hey Mooney, yeah, lots of fun stuffs here. Thanks for lookin' in.

I spent a few hours chipping and sanding today. He's getting closer. I'm going to leave some chizzel texture in a few spotz. A little more cleaning up and then this guy will get the stain.

-G

Looks like fun Lots of that going on over here but in the snow.

Looking great! Man G looks like some good cracking control
on this fella? (or lack of cracking)

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Dec 26, 2008 12:26 PM

Seeks - This is the most B@stard piece of cedar I have used yet. I knew it was a crapper when I started: the log was BIG and full of ants, termites, and metal wire; and, the central core of the log was rotted out with other fungus all around. I cut back that big old log to many smaller pieces. This was the largest of the pieces I could salvage. It dried OK, but I had a lot of cracking to manage and it was chippy as all Hell to carve. I really had to keep the toolz super sharp and be ready for a chip-out at any second. Heck, I even cut off his left leg and replaced it with another piece of cedar as it was too far gone to work with. Look back in my thread and you will see my tiki leg amputation/reconstruction. Anywho, the carving part is done and he has his first coat of finish. Lots more finishing work to come, as time allows. Here are some pics:

And here is a pic of the Crawler all completed:

-G$

B

Lookin' tight GMAN! Happy New Year brother! This is the year of the "G".

Ohhh WOW!!! It's a beaut Clark!

B

HE BREATHES!

Killer work GMan. You have plenty of help in protecting the "Man Room."
What's next?

J

On 2008-12-26 12:26, GMAN wrote:

Yeahyhhh. It is nice to see this one done. It might have started as a crappy piece of wood, but it is now a prominate work of art.

that looks so good my friend. next

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Dec 31, 2008 12:39 PM

Babalu - Heya. Let's hope the year of the "G" is a good one. Happy New Year my friend.

Tfreak - Groovy!

Benno - I dunno about breathing, but he is done. I hopee you likee.

Conga - Thanks for the wordz. I dunno what is next. I was thinking about making a string of cork duck decoys. I used to make decoys when I was younger and really enjoyed it. I also need to make a few big "tiki" guys for friends, but I won't post them here. You know the kind....

Johnny - Thanks for the flattering comment, although he isn't much...I like him.

Marcus - Thanks for stopping by for a lookee. I appreciate your support.

So here it is, my last post for 2008. Here are some pics of the little "Tekoteko" all done. I hope you like him. I wanted to get him done so I could maintain my quota of one "Tekoteko" per year.

I want to send all my best wishes to each of the special people here tonight. Please be safe and have a great NEW YEAR. I look forward to interacting with you all and creating more fun stuff in 2009.

-G$

G! That looks so awesome with the sunlight on it, brings out the subtle colors...beee-u-tee-full!
See ya next year.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Jan 1, 2009 4:08 PM

Thanks Surfin. I try.

-G

B

.Man, when you set your mind to do it, you can Surely bring home the Bacon (Oh Yeah, that TOO!) This guy Really finished up Sweet, the Colors you brewed up are Perfect and did I say Perfect? And the finish, you just can't beat that good ol' Spar Varnish. 60,000 mahogany boat rails and other bright work can't be wrong.
I have some Sweet woods here waiting on you for your next Party-Smasher masterpiece! Come On DOOOOWWN!

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Jan 4, 2009 5:58 AM

Hey Benno. Thanks for the response about the "Tekoteko." I'm glad you like him. Yeah, the spar is good. I've been using oil finishes for the last few years and really wanted something that I could put on there fast - and still get nice results. Spar was the way to go. The way I do the oil takes a loooong time.

It looks like MBL and Damnation_Tiki_King are going to be building Gman a HotRod in their speedshop over the next few months. I'll post some piccies here and there to show what we're up to. It will be a traditional steel 32 Ford PU rod. MBL knows the way to HotRod heaven, so I'm just tagging along on this one.........

-G$

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Jan 4, 2009 5:59 AM

Dang ghost pages......

B

GMAN, You really out did yerself on this one, he turned ouit So Incredible for a Teko'

You still 0 voting that one piece out of the room?

IF Anyone is interested in a GMAN Piece, PM me for details where you can get it so on and so forth.
I Know A Secret!

S

Yes p.148 I forgot about the leg in the boot to funny.

Looks great! It looks smooth and crack-light still in my book.

Im working thru some knots as we speak.

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Jan 10, 2009 7:42 AM

Benno - Howdie. I gots a package to ship to youz.

Seeks - How are those knots. They eat chizzle edges for breakfast.....

Here's a pic I took as I was moving some wood around so I could hang my new crocs....here's the new guy with his Brothers-in-Logs.

The gnu crocs - 6'6" and 7'4" if I remember correctly...

-G

[ Edited by: GMAN 2009-01-10 08:08 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2950 replies