Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Gman vs Wild - Page 1; Kotiate Warrior 183; BoatMan 184; Gman Lizard Dance 190; Screamer 193

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2,950 replies

B

I think we need to go Hunting again! Those really look nice with that black border.

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Jan 13, 2009 5:47 PM

Hi Benno. Yeah, having the felt backing extend off the hide looks real nice. I'm going to have the big guy worked on so he matches these two.

In other news, my friend had a large maple tree taken down over the weekend....I'm heading over tomorrow to pick up some logs. Happy Happy!!!!

-G

Check out them Gator skins!

cool stuff Gman

S

Got2 Love that Man Room.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Jan 18, 2009 9:53 AM

Howdie hey,

I got some wood on Friday night. I think it is red maple. It is pretty damn hard. I also noticed that my "work" bar is super duper worn out. I cut a few roads with it on my hunting land this summer and really abused it and the powerhead. Now the bar rolls right and the chain cuts left :o. Aack! Time to pitch that badboy. Anyway, after I cut out the rot and buggy chunks I had a few good solid pieces. We'll see how it seasons. The debarking process was much easier for me this time....you guys should invest in one of these :wink:

-G$

Hey GMan, where did you get the "DeBarker." I think I need one of
those, maybe two!

B

can I just have yours for awhile??
:o :D :P

Those debarkers always look nice and shiny when there new, but if you don't keep 'em oiled, well they just get all dull, and kick back on ya! HAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

(I'll take 2 please)
8)

S

Ya! i don't have a be-barker!

They probably talk back?

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Jan 24, 2009 7:44 PM

Conga - Aloha! I found my debarker just hanging around the house one day. I agree two of them could clean a lot of logs, but I dunno if I could handle the extra stress of having a second one.....

Benzo - Dude, she ain't cheap. I think the going rate is like $150+ per hour to start.

Surfin' - Yeah, I hear ya. They are nice when they are new but then they get all dented up and dull. Mine hasn't kicked back at me.....yet.

Seekers - They won't talk back if you carry a strong pimp hand.

Howz you all doing? It been cold as all he!! here. Bloody 16 degrees on my hunting land! I even had frost on my truck windows two mornings in Tampa - must be due to all this global warming stuff......if it gets any "warmer" I'll be able to go and snow ski at Disney World.

-G$

G-MAN,
You posted alot of beautiful work this year. I can't wait to see what you do in 09.

The Tekoteko with a "wooden leg" cracks me up, beautiful!

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Jan 25, 2009 6:47 PM

Thanks Sneaky. My aches and pains slowed me up some this year. My carving time took a big hit due to the amount of time I spent hunting the lakes and woodz too. Maybe I can spend more time chippin' this year? Thanks for the note my friend.

-G

On 2008-12-26 12:26, GMAN wrote:

Ok, first off...Nice to see you using yet another optimal work environment at El Rancho de GMAN...
Looks like it's just a stooped walk away from that chainsaw area on the side of the house! Looks clean though...

and...
I notice you always rub on the stain. Does that work better on the really finely sanded pieces than brushing on the stain and wiping off the excess? just wondering....

Buzzy Out!

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Jan 25, 2009 7:34 PM

Buzzy,

I wipe on the stain with a cloth and also use a brush. I put it on until it stops soaking in and then wipe off the excess. This process can take a half hour or longer. If you do wipe the stain on, ALWAYS utilize a well used and abused pair of undies as the cloth (note fishy boxers in pic). This will guarantee you a nice and rich color/luster.

Gman, out.

Alright enough is enough! I need a GMAN tekoteko, we'll trade or something!?!! Have it ready by the next time you come up!! :wink: Nice debarker by the way.

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Feb 16, 2009 2:17 PM

Tikifreak - Thanks. You think your Momma would debark your logs for you? Have you asked her? I'm not sure what is next for me. I have a few things in mind. It will probably be a little bit before I start something new...... I've got carver's block - just not much interest right now. Maybe if Benzo gets chippin on a biggin' I'll get the fever too??????

-G$

S

It will come to you!

use the force gman. let it flow out of you like in the past.

bd

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Feb 22, 2009 11:37 AM

Seeks - It will come....all in time. Thanks for the note man.

Big Daddy - Thanks Chief. I will get it going again here soon.

All,

Now that I sold the sandrail, the asphalt car, and some engines I had sitting around I have some room in the garage. Today I spent some time moving things around and got one of my carving benches set up inside along with a place to do bone stuffs. Now I can just go and work instead of spending time and energy setting up and breaking down outside. Maybe this will help get me going....

-G$

We're waiting....
I need a GMan fix, it's been too long!

T

On 2009-01-25 19:34, GMAN wrote:
... ALWAYS utilize a well used and abused pair of undies as the cloth (note fishy boxers in pic). This will guarantee you a nice and rich color/luster.

Gman, out.

Oh, so that's where that dark chocolate color comes from! :lol: :lol:

B

Hi Master G,

Happy to see you're back on the wood with these logs.
What's the black thing you put on the cut ends of your logs ? Stain? Is that to avoid the termites or parasites ?
Thanks.

Benjamin.

S

I know because you got IT!
I see you are getting closer!

B

WOW I've NEVER Seen that much room in your garage/now shop, Way to go GMAN. Thost logs all stripped and ready to go wioth No Goin onin on. Not the way to treat the kpstripper when she strips yer logs, you gotts ta do sumpthin too'em or the stripper gets mad and don't strip no more. Now that you have the room I thinks you'd better be findin some serious time to bust open one of them thar logs and make yeoself a honkin tiki real soon ya'hea.,
The shop looks good, The log pile looks goodthe body looks good, you better git started now so I'm gonna leave so you
Can.

B

Man Lookit all that wood Crying to be cut up. Where YOU BEEN?

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Mar 16, 2009 8:29 AM

Hey benno, seeks, benjamin, conga, johnny et al.,

Things are good here. Busy at work. Bean all over the place - still gotta hit some island though....

Benjamin - that is paint on the ends of the logs to slow the water loss in an attempt to reduce the severity of the checking.

-Gman

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Apr 5, 2009 2:13 PM

Finally....I'm back home. I've bean in DC, Charleston, St. Croix, and DC again. I'm glad to be back from the islands mon.....my skin is peeling and I'm tired of island bouncing and layovers. I've bean spending my weekends in the woodz chasing boar, whitetails, turkeys, and other big chunks of protein. I need to get back to work so I can get some rest! Sheesh.

So I talked to Benno this morning, and he sounded much better than when we last spoke.....when he was just back from getting sliced and diced...poor bastard. Anyway he said I needed to go out and start a carving - so I did. Thanks Benno. Here you go.......

-G$

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

[ Edited by: GMAN 2009-04-05 18:01 ]

L
laojia posted on Sun, Apr 5, 2009 2:46 PM

Very nice debut, promising ....Content to follow a new thread of you.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Apr 5, 2009 2:51 PM

G$ and Gman be the same cat. I'm him and sometimes he is me. 169 pages of Gman/G$ madness.......

B

WOW, Great Stuff GMON, and I Really didn't think you would go out and carve just having gotten home from partying down in the Caribbean and I suppose you were knockin'em back with the parrot Pirate too! C'Mon, Fess UP??

That's a tough size to do with a chainsaw, what is it, 15" or so? I guess that's why you used the small detail Chainsaw rather that the Big guy? He's one of those you gotta tie or hold down cause he's not big enough to hold himself down,,Watch those ankles with that guy. Nice piece of ficus too.

You gonna finish this guy soon or ,,Umm ah or later?
Thanks GMAN, it really made me feel like getting back to work too so I guess I'll have to post some stuff I been working on since I got out of the Hospital,,,don't tell the Doc!

cool COOL KEWL!!!!!!

That is for me right?

B
Bowana posted on Sun, Apr 5, 2009 6:37 PM

Looking good, GMAN. It could nearly pass for a piece of abstract art just as it is.

Nice to see you carrying on the foot placement tradition.
Ahh...it's the simple things in life...
:)

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Apr 5, 2009 7:08 PM

feetz and pix is like "peas and carrots." :)

S

Woo ho The GMAN is BACK! YES!

B

WOW O WOW O WOW O WOW

Shoes and Beautiful carvings ... G$'s back for sure !
Happy, Happy, Happy.

Benjamin.

Aloha GMAN!!!Looks like another GMAN Master piece coming from a very talented carver,can't wait to see it finished as I have loved your carving's my friend,Aloha for now ,will pop by from time to time 2 see your SWEET pieces of ART!!!Aloha, your friend, Mooney

J

Excellent carve. Nice to see the Gstar back in action.

But this is how you take a photo looking down at a tiki.

BD

gman,

love your carving station. must be hard to clamp down and position some of the smaller pieces. can't wait to see what the little fellow will look like completed.

bd

Yes, Very cool GMAN! I was thinking abstract art too!

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Apr 11, 2009 11:54 AM

Benno - Yeah, it is right around that size. I've not measured it. The ficus/rubber wood is ok, but I would rather have some black walnut.

Surfin - Hey man, how you is?

Freak - No....

Bowana - The simple things are generally the most fun. Thanks for dropping by!

Seeks - Ahoy! How are you? Love that frog.

Benella - Shoez and Chipz. That's how we roll......

Mooney - Thanks for the support. More progress below....

JohnnyP - I'm not sure about the "action" part, but I am back to the toolz.

BidDaddy - My carving station is where I happen to be at the time.

Sam - I don't know if Gman can do abstract?

Here are some pics of today's progress:

-G

C

Looking great so far!

BD

gman

even the roughed out lines on this little guy looks really good.

bd

B

Lookin Badder and Badder GMANG, Really Nice to see you creating again!

B

Oh my God ! Look at that Kotiate he's holding ! Wonderful work.
( Funny that I was trying to carve a kotiate this week :) )

Benjamin.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Apr 12, 2009 1:39 PM

Clarita, big daddy, and Bzart - thanks for looking. He needs lots of work, but he'll get there...in time....I hope.

Benella - I know you were :) That club is for you - keep in mind I left a lot of extra wood there...the club will get more refined as the rest of him takes shape.

Here are some pics from today:

-G

B

WOW, GMAN, Talk about a Chiseled butt, (the carving not GMAN)This guy's got one.
Nice clean, full lines Mang. Looking Excellent, GMAN's Back!!

he has oe!

I'm digging the insane deep carve in his back and the peek-a-boo hole from elbow to elbow. nice!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2950 replies