Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Gman vs Wild - Page 1; Kotiate Warrior 183; BoatMan 184; Gman Lizard Dance 190; Screamer 193

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2,950 replies

S

Nice lines! Your asses are tight G. I need to work on my ass.

Looks like something going on in the hand area that i cant see yet?

B

Hey G....I ran into one of your buddies a few weeks back :) Make some nice boots heh...

Oh yeah...The work looks marvelous darling!

GMan is the King of Butts isn't he? Great progress pics. If you
scroll through the pics at the right speed it seems to turn around...
sorta like those flip-motion books that used to come with Cracker Jacks.
Maybe it's just me.

YES...I agree. NICE BUTT GMAN! (On the carving) Thats some suzanne summers buns of steal right their. very nice composition as well.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Apr 19, 2009 9:33 AM

Benno - "Chiseled butt, nice full lines" All things I'm aiming for, plus a nice round full feel. We'll see. Thanks.

Tmango - Thanks. The deep elbow cut is standard equipment on many Maori Tekotekos.

Seeks - I know, I can be a tightass sometimes.

Babs! - That albino g8tr wouldn't last long around here. :)

Conga - Cracker Jacks? I dunno if I like the title of King of Butts. Not my thing mang.

Creative Chimp - I think he's been working out...

Thanks for looking guys. No carving this weekend :(

-Gman

M
MBL posted on Sun, Apr 26, 2009 4:30 AM

Dude...I always amazes me how much you see in the wood before carving....When I look at your stuff, I feel so mentally challenged. :) Really cool GMAN! Can't wait to see how amazing this one comes out. I gotta rock on over there soon.
Tim
MBL

Lookin Sweet GMAN!!!Aloha , Mooney

Gman, as always your carvings are always top notch and well done, your work is stellar!

Amy

double post, sorry

[ Edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2009-04-26 14:39 ]

great mr G!!!! can't wait to see this one stained. and as a reply to your song you left on my last post....

Its log, its log, its big, its heavy and its wood....
its better than bad.....ITS GOOD!!!!! (Ren & Stimpy)

since you seem to be a fan GMAN......saw this on etzy.com ren and stimpy log pillow...... .giddy up!!!!!! thought you would like...

It's LOg, it's lOg...it's fun for a girl an boy!!

what kinda tools do you go after THAT with?

B

I thought the log was the tool? :o

G
GMAN posted on Wed, May 6, 2009 6:16 PM

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

[ Edited by: GMAN 2009-05-09 12:25 ]

Great looking stuff as usual GMAN! I have to get over here in the carving section more often....

S

I watched this yesterday what a hoot! crazy!

G
GMAN posted on Sat, May 9, 2009 12:53 PM

Hello all. Thanks for the nice replies and words of encouragement. You make me smile.

Today I decided to start something that I've wanted to do for a while. It is gonna be a stink-load of work, so I've been putting it off. Anyway, I've got a list of at least 5 different pieces I want to make for myself, all of them very complex. I figure I better get going as I'm not getting any younger and my injuries keep getting worse. Nuff about that. So this guy I started today is known as the Bow Rider here in G-land. I plan on taking him out croc hunting this year on the BOILER MAKER. After that, hopefully he will get to ride on the bow of JohnnyP's giant war canoe. I'm making him with a flat base/attachment point in his crotch so he can sit on a boat mount or on a display mount in the ManRoom.

I worked for a while today, but it is really hot here today. It was tough on me with the mask, chaps, and all the other saftey gear I use. I quit about 3:00 and took a dip in the pool. Johnny, my pool is 86 degrees....what's yours like? :lol:

So here is my master plan.....you need to understand that this is a very precise technical drawing. I used a slide rule and everything....

And so the the work began. This carving will require me to use 6 different logs and then two small chunks for his feetz (so the grain goez the right way and he's not so fragile). I was tired and my left arm was killing me just after I carried the logs and my sawz to the side yard. I wanted to call it quitz right then. The big log is his torso. The other logs are legs, arms, and his head. His pieces parts will get glued pinned with big oak dowels. I need to buy a planer/joiner.

If I work hard enough, he may look something like this when he is finished......

-G$

[ Edited by: GMAN 2009-05-16 14:40 ]

B

Wow GMAN, What a project, I'm really impressed that you would undertake it but knowing you, I'm sure it will end up being a typical GMAN Knockout! He looks great so far, you gonna be finished tomorrow? :o :P :D

L

Very interesting project, I'm curious for the follow especially to see assembly...

J.

GMan for emperor!

Are you gonna carve the boat to put that THING on the front? :lol:

G
GMAN posted on Sun, May 10, 2009 4:49 PM

Benno - This guy is gonna be a very involved build/carve...much more to do than just carve. First I've gotta build the frame....then I can start carving. He's gonna take a loooong time.

Laojia - Pull up a chair mang, its gonna be a while.

Conga - Howzzit my friend? Emperor, aye? Let's see how he gets along first.....

So I got started late today cuz I was up sick almost all night. I think the heat really screwed me yesterday. Anyway, I roughed in both of the legs and then I notched the torso and both of the thighs. I did my best to get the cheeks together, but it wasn't easy - it may need some ass spackle, maybe not. Then I glued and pegged it. Here are some pics

-G$

[ Edited by: GMAN 2009-05-10 18:42 ]

G
GMAN posted on Sun, May 10, 2009 4:52 PM

Surfin - I gots a boat, Mang. She's known locally as the WAR MACHINE but her registered name is the BOILER MAKER. It will ride on there when I go gator hunting and hopefully I can get it on JohnnyP's giant war canoe when we all get together to build it and paddle it. But mostly it will sit in the ManRoom and make me happy. :)

War Machine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rezb3ZDo5Q ;/

-G

[ Edited by: GMAN 2009-05-10 17:09 ]

B

Man, GMAN, for an Old man you did a Lot of work on this guy today. Can't wait to see him finished up as he is quite a complicated guy. Something is wierd about him thoough since he is bring up this ghost page. Really going well!

OOOh, is War Machine playin' at Hukilau? ha ha ha

Ohhhh yeah!! This guy is gonna be so cool! You didn't tell me anything about this when we talked.

gman,

this prow god is going to look spectacular. can't wait to see him finished and mounted. on a war canoe it would be awesome but on any boat would be great.

bd

one hell of a project, man- glad i got in on the ground-level. i still gotta go through the rest of your stuff from the past year. cheers!

What you have up your sleeve?

G
GMAN posted on Sat, May 16, 2009 1:52 PM

Benz - Complicated? Ya think? This bugger is gonna have more pins holding him together than I have in me!

Surfin' - Maybe they can get GWAR - my buddies say they put on one of the best shows.....

Tikifreak - I know... :wink:

big daddy - Thanks. He's gonna take a while.

Greentikipat - Nice to have you back, man.

Seeks - Who? Up what sleeve? Go look at the guy in the last pic on page 171.

All,

I got some work in today. I worked on his legs a bunch, made him some feetz, and then glued and pinned dem feetz on. I'll take better pics once the glue sets and I can turn him over.

-G$

[ Edited by: GMAN 2009-05-17 06:16 ]

B

lookin' Good GMAN, These angles are gonna drive you nutz putting it all together, would you HURRY UP Already!

G
GMAN posted on Sat, May 16, 2009 4:04 PM

Benz - I'm already nutz...you forget already?

This guy is gonna be so cool!

B

Not as Nuts as you're gonna be. :o

G
GMAN posted on Sun, May 17, 2009 4:45 AM

"Not as Nuts as you're gonna be."

You Sir, may be correct in that assumption.

-G

C

Oh! It's amazing what you are doing, so complicated, to make each piece fit! Looking perfect so far, hat off here.

G
GMAN posted on Mon, May 18, 2009 4:33 AM

Clarita - if you think what I'm carving is complicated, you don't wanna know what goez on in my head :gasp: Thanks for the note

-G

S

I see! this is going to be really cool.

I think the awesome meter just broke. Can't wait to see the finished piece.

J

This is your best feat ever.

This is a daunting project and it is being accomplished very well. It might actually be the motivation to get off my duff and start the canoe. (it is the log behind the lono)

And the pool is 58 degrees.

B

Go Ahead, MAke me Smile All day Again.

G
GMAN posted on Wed, May 20, 2009 7:59 PM

"I think the awesome meter just broke."

You really made me smile. :) Thanks

Tonight I worked on fitting some small slices of wood into some small gaps on the underside of his thighs/torso joint. Nobody would have seen them, but I knew they were there. Not anymore though. I hope the seams look nice when I knock the area down with the chizzles.

The next step is to make and attach the second chunk of his neck. After that, I am going to mount a bench vise that rotates up on a riser in the middle of one of my carving tables. The vise will hold him the "mount" that protrudes down below his arse. This way I can keep him in the sitting postition and spin him around to work on him. Hopefully it works well and keeps him protected.

Thanks for the replies above, I will respond to each of you when I post my next set of progress pics. Thanks for the encouragement and the nice words.

-Gman

L

On 2009-05-20 19:59, GMAN wrote:
After that, I am going to mount a bench vise that rotates up on a riser in the middle of one of my carving tables. The vise will hold him the "mount" that protrudes down below his arse. This way I can keep him in the sitting postition and spin him around to work on him. Hopefully it works well and keeps him protected.

May be that such things will help you to continue your work...

J.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, May 21, 2009 4:58 AM

double post - speedy clicky finger.......

[ Edited by: GMAN 2009-05-21 05:00 ]

G
GMAN posted on Thu, May 21, 2009 4:58 AM

Yup, what I have in mind is similar, but less sophisticated. Since I can't "roll" him around on my carving tables to get at different areas easily, I need to keep him vertical. A setup similar to that should do the trick. Can I have yours?

-G

G
GMAN posted on Sat, May 23, 2009 1:04 PM

Seeks - Thanks. I've wanted to do one of these for a while. Hopefully I will keep working on him.

Mango - :)

JohnnyP - You better get to work! Start chipping that boat out.

Benno - Thanks for stopping by. Keep smiling - that makes me Happy happy happy!

Today.....I needed to lay a few logs out to get an idea of what I needed to do to get to where I want to think about being. Confused? Me too, but I needed to get the "crane" of his neck to be past natural to creepy weird. I like that.

I also got to invent a new tool. The "hammer-vise" :lol:

So here are some pics of what went on here today:

Hammer-Vise!

-G$

quite remarkable G....Are you getting any sleep? Seems you would
have to spend all your waking moments trying to figger this guy out.
This is gonna be way over the top :)

I'm really enjoying your pencil shim, and the hammer-vice is perfect. It's coming along nicely.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2950 replies