Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Gman vs Wild - Page 1; Kotiate Warrior 183; BoatMan 184; Gman Lizard Dance 190; Screamer 193

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2,950 replies

Very ingenious hammer vise. He's coming along nicely taking some serious planning all being well orchestrated. just amazing. Your tiki does looks like it's giving birth with feet up in the stirrups, sorry just one of those odd thoughts that goes through my head.

H

I am also finding these progress pictures very interesting. You are doing an amazing job.

J

OHHHHH, this is great. Like a great big puzzle you have to make all the pieces yourself.

It's Hammervice time.

I'll start chalking out the canoe.

J

Holy Crap! nuthin like a project to keep you busy. Mad Man.

B

Do you know where all those parts GO? HUH? HUH? :o

G
GMAN posted on Sun, May 24, 2009 1:40 PM

Conga - I'm sleeping fine. More than usual, actually. I'm glad you like him. I figured he would be creepy enough for you.

Mango - I'm glad you're enjoying my "ape" toolz!

Tlizard - I meant to take a tiki "birthing" pic for you today, but I forgot :(

Hiltiki - Pull up a chair, I'm gonna be at it for a while.....

JohnnyP - It is like a puzzle...only it makes my back hurt real bad??

Tmec - :lol: Yeah, I was bored. I'm an idiot......

Benno - Yeah, they go right over......here.....yeah, over here. :)

All - Here are some pics from today. I actually got to do some carving. His neck is cut, glued, pinned, and ready for his head. I spent some time chizzling on his head and got it further along. Hope you like the pics. He's picking up some character now.

More tomorrow.....

G$

Just freaky amazing....

B

Mam O Man GMAN, You gotta slow down, I'm not sure I can fathom all this stuff in such a short time. This Puzzle is coming along Way Nice. I Heard you got this puzzle from WalMart with wood, dimensions, measurements and Everything, Say it AIN'T So, then tell me which one had the kits for sale? :o :P :D
Honestly You;re blowing me away with this guy earning Much Respect!
THANKS

Gman, just watching the processing is truely amazing! It's really coming alive, great piece!

Amy

YOU ARE THE MAN!

J

Top notch! The face is perfect! I knew you had some wicked talent and this proves it.

JP

L

Very productive weekend for you :o ... This guy is taking good shape! I stay on my chair to follow...

A setup similar to that should do the trick. Can I have yours?

I've not but I can send you the pic folded at your address... :roll:
Or if you're not hurry, I can built this bench for you , cheap price but shipping for you! :wink:

Good continuation!

J.

Hey Gman, I was staring in womderment at your Small Figure and was wondering what stain you are using? Thanks.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, May 28, 2009 4:38 AM

Red Mahogany 225 + a spash of oil based ebony. Both Minwax.

Aloha Greg,

I just wanted to say hello and say that your current piece is looking amazing!
I know you were inspired by that old picture, but right now there is nobody doing anything like it.
Cool!

S

Incredible piece! Its all coming together just right.
That face! Killer!

G
GMAN posted on Thu, May 28, 2009 3:01 PM

Hey guys. I didn't carve on Monday but I did get his arms marked out and ready to get roughed in. I was pooped after long hours carving on both Saturday and Sunday. So no update since the last one, but I thought I could share a few pics of a few other canoe prow figures for you all to see.

Here are a few pics:

And of course, this guy.....

-G

J

Wow, did you carve all those in the pictures????

On 2009-05-28 15:01, GMAN wrote:

And of course, this guy.....

Is this last yours all completed?? More piccies please!!! Not the usual fair maiden/siren that the other boaties will be used to - youll probably find other vessels will move aside to let the 'pirate' through.. :wink:

G
GMAN posted on Sat, May 30, 2009 7:29 AM

JohnnyP - Don't be silly. No.

Tama - No, that is the fellow that got me inspired to try this.

No carving this weekend, I don't think. Went fishing last night. Prolly do the same today and tomorrow.

-G

B

Man, that thing is gonna be cool!
I can see the fish screaming in terror as soon as the boat hits the water! :)

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Jun 1, 2009 12:20 PM

Bowana - they already do :/

C

Ha! Coming along perfect!
(...run fishy run!...)

yo GMAN......thats one crazy dude your working on. great stuff....i might need about 4 of those guys on my boat because i can't seem to catch a damn thing when i go out. i'm going to where buzzy's brady KU idol this weekend when i go out. does he keep sky rats away too? (sea gulls for you inland folks)

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Jun 6, 2009 12:17 PM

Thanks Clarita! The fishies don't have a chance :) Thanks for looking at my prow figure.

Chimp - Thanks to you too. What is your boat's range? If you can run more than 150 miles each way, try the 40 fathom curve off of Fort Meyers. Bring your heaviest gear if you go...... the last black grouper I pulled out of there was 70.5 lbs!

-G

B

Hi G,

Hope everything's fine for you. When i see those pix, i can't help to think that everything's really really fine !
Nice work (as always!) Master G,

Benjamin.

B

Hey SLACKER, Where Are you? You haven't posted anything on this masterpiece in Over a Week, you OK? Work got you too down to carve?
This from the biggest slacker around. :P :D :o

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Jun 7, 2009 8:26 AM

Benella - Yes, things are fine. I'll be back at it soon

Benno - I haven't felt much like chippin, mang. I had a short window there where I had gotten ahead of some deadlines and was able to focus on carving. Now, unfortunately, I am back to focusing on stressful work stuff. As you know, that rips the creativity right out of me. Anyway, hopefully I'll be able to carve again before I need to focus on the upcoming hunting seasons. I just filled out the paperwork for my 09-10 alligator trapper's license. If all goes well, I will be out after them again this summer/fall.

Here are a few pics of my current projects waiting patiently for me in the garage.....

-G

S

Right on take a breath and come back at it soon.
There is no way you can stay away to long this piece is calling you.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Jun 7, 2009 2:19 PM

Thanks Seeks. You are correct....I decided to go out this afternoon and work on him. No sense in sitting around being stressed - I need to go out and un-stress with my outlets...like carving. So I did.

I decided to take the leap and go ahead and mount his head. What ever problems this causes, I'll work them out later. Now I need to work on his arms......

-G

Wow, that last photo looks like a painful birth. Maybe that's it...you're not carvin anything over there, there's a tiki nursery over there!

L
laojia posted on Sun, Jun 7, 2009 8:44 PM

Congrat! It's a boy!!!

CA

Birth is so cool!!!!!! this is creation at it's finest!! next?? nice stuff!!

B

Yeah, and what were you guys oing over there in the dark?

Gman, that piece is amazing, and you have really gone above and beyond regular carving. Great job!

Amy

OH LORDY!!!! the real concern of mine is who's the daddy?

Practice "Safe Carving" out there kids. Baby tikis are a lot of responsibility and expensive too!

He does have your eyes MR. GMAN....not to jump to any conclusions or start any rumors. HEEEE HEEEEEE.

keep up the Groovy work Bro!

[ Edited by: Creative Chimp 2009-06-08 12:12 ]

Cool birthing photo, now if our tikis could just reproduce without us, we could all go surfing or fishing with no worries. Sticking everything together with pegs and wood glue?

On 2009-06-08 12:04, Creative Chimp wrote:
OH LORDY!!!! the real concern of mine is who's the daddy?
He does have your eyes MR. GMAN....not to jump to any conclusions or start any rumors. HEEEE HEEEEEE.

Yep, I agree. No need for a DNA test or anything. Congrats Pops!

I saw how you glued all those log pieces together. You should have just used a bigger log.

Use a bigger log- That's what she said!
Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2009-06-08 20:09 ]

S

Right on GMAN! Looks like the imagination took over.
Funny stuff.

B

looks like the log was big enough too!

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Jun 18, 2009 7:42 AM

pics with no commentary for Paipo :wink: - however he is sitting up now.....

70 lb Earnie for size reference

-g

J

:)

S

Incredible! I'm digging it big time.

B

Yes, Incredible is the perfect word or this guy and I think Earnie says so too. Really love this guy and am enjoying watching him grow. Arms must be next?

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Jun 20, 2009 12:14 PM

yeah Benno, arms are next. Wanna give me a hand? Ba-dump dump!! Thank you, thank you very much, I'll be here all week.....try the veal :wink:

Oh, and....Dr. GwOman and I went and watched the drag races at our local track last night. I was there and watched for all of about 20 minutes before I decided I was going to enter and run my pickup truck. I don't have a muscle car anymore, so the truck had to do. My wife thought I was nutz, but hey, you gotta run what you brung, right? I made six clean passes and went undefeated for the night (against other trucks). It was fun and it fueled the fire to get me racing again. Here are a few phone pics....I'm in the near lane in the Silverado. The Fords couldn't catch me, even when they redlighted. :)

-G$

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

[ Edited by: GMAN 2009-06-20 13:57 ]

B

All Right, GMAN, He's Slowly coming to life. With every part you add he begins to breathe a bit more. (Of course with you in the darkened garage he was totally breathless :o ) You are definitely out doing yourself on this one!

Like the armies!

Hey GMan, you are really stepping it up with this feller, and I
can just imagine what you are going to do once all the pieces are put
together. Fun to watch this one progress.

GMANG, that guy looks so cool with the arms now.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2950 replies