Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Gman vs Wild - Page 1; Kotiate Warrior 183; BoatMan 184; Gman Lizard Dance 190; Screamer 193

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2,950 replies

B

Yep, the grain and spalting makes it totally for me too !
I didn't know about the spalting thing, sorry to ask bullshitly for moko on this masterpiece.

I can't believe this maori will be more top shelf with more coats... he's already incredible !

Bravo,

B.

Nice piece of work GMan, always an inspiration to stop over here and see
your stuff. I like the way you affixed the eyes, and I like, oh well, I
like everything about the little feller.

A
amate posted on Mon, Dec 14, 2009 4:04 PM

Beautifully done GMAN. That is world class stuff!

B

WOW, GMAN, HOLY Cow, Man-Oh-Man, I simply cannot believe this Tiki Story. Way Back a Long time ago in May I think of this year GMAN Promised me a carving and he started this one:

" Anyway he said I needed to go out and start a carving - so I did. Thanks Benno. Here you go......."

Sounds to you all like he did this for ME
RIGHT???
This was the start way back then and I Never thought he would get my tiki done!

And now here he is some 100 hours later and way outta my price range, But what a Tiki and talk about persistence, Unbelievable. GMAN I Really Love how you finished my tiki, Thanks.

What else can I say but hurry up and start another one and don't take quite so long this time. THANKS.

B

We need to see this guy do his circle on this page too Gman, we Gotta see what yer Talkin'Bout. Just so cool!

There, thats better.

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Dec 16, 2009 7:28 AM

:)

E2

superbe finition , j'adore

Man, that guy turned out even better than I had hoped. The final finish just strengthened the power of the piece. That facial expression alone just screams "mana".

Aloha!

Marcus

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Dec 19, 2009 12:08 PM

Laojia - I'm glad you like him. Thanks for the kind wordz.

TikiMango - Yes, yes, yes! Chip some wood!

benella - I'm glad he meets your approval. The kotiate was fun to include.

Conga - Are your old bones frozen yet? Yeah, mounting the inlays was fun that way. I think I'll use that method again soon.

Amate - Thanks may friend.

Benno - I did do him for you, but for me....savy?

Eric21 - Bueno!

Marcus - Maybe we should call him "ManaMan"?

All,

We had really great weather today so I went out and put some finish coats on the little warrior and then made some progress on the BoatMan. I did lots that you can't see on the BoatMan and lots that you can. By tomorrow he will be solidly on his way....

First up are pics of the Kotiate Warrior with some more finish work:

Here are some progress pics of the BoatMan:

-G

B

Cool, Looks like you gots Doc Rita there to help put him back together. I was Hoping you weren't gonna forget this guy.

YES!! It's...coming....ALIVE!!!!!!

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Dec 19, 2009 4:16 PM

Benno - Nah man, I didn't forget about him. It would be kinds tough, since his body parts were all over my garage.....

Surfin - Wassup? Where you bean? Whattacha working on now? Show us!?!

GO G-MAN!!!!!

I've been waiting a year for the Return of the Boatman!

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Dec 20, 2009 5:13 AM

C'mon now Mike......I worked on him up to July......it has only been about 5 months. I wanted him done for alligator season this year but it didn't happen, so I got onto other things. Hopefully I can get him done for next season.

Thanks for stopping by to check him out. Hopefully I can pin his other arm on today.

-G

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Dec 20, 2009 11:44 AM

His clubbing arm is now mounted. I'll pin it tomorrow once the glue sets. I hope to make a nice club for him to have up over his head.......maybe with shark teeth ala JohnnyP? Much left to do, but it will be nice to have him in one piece now.

-G

B

INCREDIBLE Movement! He's got that gator in his sights already,, Look Out.

CA

luv the boat men!!!!!!

L

On 2009-12-20 11:44, GMAN wrote:
it will be nice to have him in one piece now.

Sure! And better when he will sitting! Happy to see the progress Pics!
Curious about the war club...

Funny parallel with DRI sign!

J.

Dirty Rotten!

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Dec 21, 2009 6:20 PM

Benz - Yes, plenny of things going on with him. I think he wants to hurt me......

Sir Al - Thanks for stopping by man. I think he luvs you too.

Laojia - I have him sitting up for you now. I think I felt safer with him lying down in the garage and covered with weights...... :(

Tikifreak - C'mon man, I'm doing everything I know of to get you chipping again! DO IT! DO IT NOW!

Some pics from tonight.....

-G

S

G- Great job on the little man! Might be the first time i have seen you stain or
topcoat with a light color or natural.

The long jump man is looking fantastic.

L

HA HA! Very good pics! Now each a war club and ring the bell for the first round! :lol:

Where your boatman have already lost his tongue?

I stay tuned!

J.

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Dec 22, 2009 3:13 AM

Seeks - Hi! Are you gonna start chippin and make the rest of us look like idiots soon or what? I'm missing your schtuff!?! Thanks for the note, the little man is light, that's for sure....but he's not the first. I've done lots of natural or very light pieces over the years. This guy had very nice grain and spalting.....I thought it would be best to do him light and highlight the grain.

Laojia - Sorry about his tongue, but it it not connected yet and it just falls out when he sits up. I left it in the garage....maybe that is why he was giving me a hard time last night? That's understandable. I locked him in the ManRoom for the night and it seems like he didn't mess anything up. I think I'll let him stay, provided he doesn't beat up on my other warriors.

Thanks for looking,

G

Great stuff GMan, I'm gonna smile all day long (maybe longer) over your
pic with the boatman. Since you don't seem to have a boat in the house maybe
you could use him as a tree-topper :)

J

On 2009-12-21 18:20, GMAN wrote:

-G

I don't know which one is scarier :)

Excellent carve, whatcha gunna mount it on?

C

Oh wow the Kotiate Warrior is amazing!

so cool man, I love it! I will hopefully be back soon, just been getting cought up in other stuff.

Really cool! I never grokked the scale and size of this fellow until that last photo, wow!

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Dec 26, 2009 12:27 PM

Conga - I'm glad we can make you smile! That is what this stuff is all about. I tried your idea of using him for a tree topper, but for some reason I couldn't keep the tree standing? Dunno...

Clarita - I'm glad you like the kotiate fellow. He is still getting coats for oil. He's looking better and better.

Freak - Time for you to back off the other stuff and start laying into some wood, mang!

Mango - Yeah, he is good sized..about life sized but with a bigger head and compressed legs - per the teachings of the ancients.

-G

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

[ Edited by: GMAN 2009-12-30 05:56 ]

Gman, that's a hellava way to catch sharks - couldn't they just use a shotgun? Think it will work on gators?

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Dec 26, 2009 1:50 PM

Mike - I'm gonna find out :)

My hunting is an art and sometimes my art goes hunting. The challenge is in the details......

[ Edited by: GMAN 2009-12-26 13:51 ]

B

WOW GMAN, I'm Loving this already!

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Dec 27, 2009 6:38 AM

It is different, Benno. I like the idea of shark calling a lot and I've not seen one of these propellers done around here. I'll take it out and use it and then likely make some changes or a few other shapes/types depending on performance. The Doc braided up some cordage for it, so it will be useable as soon as I drill it. First, I want to do a bunch of refining and surface carving, and then use a good marine varnish on it to lock the water out. It should make for some interesting voyages.....

-G

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Dec 27, 2009 3:59 PM

Now back to the boatman for a while......waiting on a package containing a SUPER SPECIAL mere.

[ Edited by: GMAN 2009-12-30 05:56 ]

L

BUMP!

Gman's boatman waiting between two carving session...

B

Tease!

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Jan 29, 2010 7:29 AM

:)

-G

A
amate posted on Sat, Jan 30, 2010 3:03 PM

What the ? I must have missed something. Is that your boat Gman?

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Jan 31, 2010 8:18 AM

nah man. that belongs to someone in NZ......

I didn't know you moved to New Zealand.

Buzzy Out!

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Feb 3, 2010 4:28 AM

:o

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Feb 13, 2010 12:18 PM

-G

[ Edited by: GMAN 2011-04-19 10:48 ]

L

:) G is back! :)

A
amate posted on Mon, Feb 15, 2010 7:44 AM

A star is born.

B

He's back

B

Lookin'good So Far G, you must have him done by Now? :D

S

Looks like ispy right now?

J

I'm sure he is not collecting dust in the garage. It's about time for an update........

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2950 replies