Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Gman vs Wild - Page 1; Kotiate Warrior 183; BoatMan 184; Gman Lizard Dance 190; Screamer 193

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2,950 replies

Bro-
Who gives a rats ass what was said. BK gets off by beating his chest and singing his own praises. I kind of weirded out when I read that too. Now he's back peddling the BS he first posted.
Ben doesn't talk that smack here and he in my opinion is the master carver on this forum. Get some rest and PM me tomorrow. Your carvings are incredible as always, be yourself.
Wes

[ Edited by: Moondance 2005-11-18 11:30 ]

Gman, there are many different perspectives here, and probably all are correct in some sense. look forward to seeing your new creations, as I do everyone else's. TC would be a poorer place without you.

Gman, what would TC be without all of the different perspectives and viewpoints? I don't think BK's comments were directed at you personally. I am leaning toward the more traditional as well, but that's a personal preference on what I like to carve. I for one like your stuff a lot and would hate to see you drop out.

Aaron

G-man , Please feel free to email mail me pics of your carvings. I have enjoyed them. I too feel as though my posting of carvings is coming to a end.

M

Gman and Rodeotiki:

The whole point of this forum is to share ideas and that's what's happening.

For you to be artists and have exposure, you should learn to take any sort of critique that comes your way. You guys are developing your own style and are brave enough to share it. Don't be discouraged now.

~ Fortes fortuna juvat ~

H
hewey posted on Mon, Nov 14, 2005 6:30 AM

Gman - Im not gonna guilt trip ya, or try and convince you should stay if you dont want to be here. But, I would love to see more of your stuff in the future.

If you dont post no more pics, thanks for the carvings man, the ride has been swell.

I like your tenacity and stuff, G, I always have. The point I made wasn't a directed one. Just a statement. We still need every hand on deck around here. Nothing to be sad or confused about.

G.... get back in here! I love your updates and designs, and your positive comments and tips have been awesome!

GMAN-
I have always really enjoyed your posts and all of your stuff. Tiki's , Sharks, etc.!!! I really don't think anybody was trying to dicourage you and your work. I would definatly consider your Tiki's Polynesian Pop and thats what alot of us like around here!!! I like the traditional stuff too!!! There is so much here to learn and enjoy here at TC and I wouldn't let one persons opinion (or my own misinterpertation) make me ever leave!!! I'm staying here till the wheels fall off!!!! I hope you change your mind!!
Later,
Spermy

[ Edited by: The Sperm Whale 2005-11-14 22:17 ]

K

in a 100 years all our art will be considerd traditional tiki any way . keep posting dude I luv your stuff...

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Nov 15, 2005 5:18 AM

I'm still here. I'll post a few pics when I get back into it.

8T

That's more like it! Hey, do I hear a chainsaw starting up???

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Nov 16, 2005 2:04 PM

Hey all,

Thanks for the support. And 8ft, yeah, you heard correctly....that buzzz is me working down here. I'm trying to keep my chin up, push ahead, and look deep.

Here is a rough out I did today. It is 47" tall and 9" in diameter. It is red cedar. The saw work is mostly done, and I'll be working on it again tomorrow with less hungry tools. I will post more pics as I make progress.

Please let me know what you think - as long as you candy coat it :)

-Gman

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2005-11-16 19:04 ]

M

You are refining and emerging in your skill GMAN!! This one is going to rock!

McTiki

B

I don't know, I think it may be looking too traditional(I HATE Typing that word!) Looks great So Far.

M

Mahalo to you for sharing again.

For whatever style that is, OWN it . . . and keep rockin it because like your heart and soul and no one can take it from you. What does not kill you makes you stronger.

ALOHA

H
hewey posted on Wed, Nov 16, 2005 3:38 PM

Cool man, a real progression of your style. Cant wait to see this one all sanded and polyed. Sweet

Awesome to see ya off the bench and back in the game.

T

That is certainly 100% tiki. Is that one of your tallest?

I figured that the famous traditional post might spark a change in some of us. Most of all i though it might make us all redefine our selves. Looks like you took a big step outside of the box already, I hope you are enjoying the change and possibilities that it creates. I have always liked your stuff, yet I especially like this one, Carve on brother.

C

Your talent speaks for its self!!I feel art should generate some emotion and I always feel something when I view your posts!!I am extremely happy to see you are continuing to post your great work and I hope to see some more of your original style,you are evolving and I know people will continue to take notice.I will be looking forward to seeing the completion of this classic piece.

Ahhhhhh, gotta get me some of that red cedar. How'd ya get a piece of that? I like the detail that's goin on this. Sorry I didn't get to perform the "magic", and post any shots of mine after this weekend, I got a piece of wood shot in my eye first thing saturday. I'm an idiot, I has 3 pair of glasses next to me, didn't use 'em,...bada-boom, I got an eye patch on for the rest of the day. Ok now, lucky, learned my lesson. Will post soon. Anyway thanks for the words, that got me goin'.

Gus, that guy is looking nice. Quite the departure from the GMAN style but cool none the less. keep carvin' and keep postin'

I've been crazy busy but one of these days....
some where in between getting the music room done, the bar set up, more all grain beers going, a project motorcycle happening, etc...
I'll get to mini tiki tap handle carving.

Cr@p! I gotta get you some of them threaded inderts. D'OH!!!

Now, that piece...nobody could doubt. I totally dig it. A lot of gen-ew-wine, bona-fide tiki mana there. That magic "feel" is so elusive, it eluded me for a long time when I started, but when it's there and it takes on that Aloha spirit you really, really know it, like the first time you fall in love... like there are ghosts..another dimension that touches certain things and inhabits them and shouts from them. Gecko is a good example. Everything he does just is soaked in that same wierd energy. You can almost hear the waves lapping up and the cocktail shakers at Don The Beachcomber's and smell the old 151 Lemon Hart and the worn jute ropes leading out to the lanai...

P.S. you've got enough hangy down there to make him a "real" Marq..(you get the drift:)) That'll be cool to see finished.

Alot of work there G, it dosen't look like your work though. I'm not getting the GMAN spirit with this one yet. Good to see you back carving again.
Non conformist,
Wesley

Gman... VERY cool! I love it... he has attitude!

Totally, TOTALLY awesome, G-man. (No sugar here, just admiration). You've broken loose from the burden of having a "style". Wouldn't it be nice to approach every new tiki from a different angle? Tough to do, maybe impossible, but a worthy challenge all the same (my own personal goal). I really like this one. Nice proportions, and I have a sense that you've got some special detailing up your sleeve for this one. Please post lots of progress pics as you finish it up!

A-A

I concur, killer job G-man. That wood grain goes well with your lines. You guys are all getting me inspired to get to sanding and finish the tiki I have been working on for over a year now.

Chongolio

Awesome Gman cant wait to see more.

i'm liking this one alot, Gman, especially the sweep of the back. keep going, bro!

TG

Gman, I'm proud of you. Looks awesome.

G.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Nov 17, 2005 2:46 PM

McTiki, Ben, Manokoa, Hewey, TeaKEY, PalmCity, Capo, SurfinT, Art, BK, Moon, Doubravsky, AA, Chongolio, Marcus, Palma, and Gary,

Thanks for posting the positive comments. I appreciate you taking the time to encourage me. After everything that has gone on here in the last few days, it means a lot.

On the homefront: My dog Earnie had full ACL replacement on Tuesday, and came home last night. I was home alone with him today and was not able to go out and work on my carving. The poor fella is in terrible pain and needs to be lying down. I figured it was best for him if I just sat in a chair and let him sleep most of the day. If I was working outside, he would be trying to walk around and come out.

Tonight I am celebrating my 36th birthday (it's the 18th actually) and this is a big hunting weekend coming up, so I won't have another chance to carve until early next week. Please check my post on Monday night.

-Gman

Hey Scorpio. Mine is the 19th Happy B-day. And do not steal and of the doggy downers.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Nov 17, 2005 4:49 PM

PalmCity,

I've been off the canine pain killers for at least 6 months now! :)

-Gman

Looking fine, GMAN. That guy's pretty striking...looks like he might kick someone's rear if they get in his way!

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Nov 17, 2005 7:34 PM

Thanks Sam. I hope to get some time in on him next week and make some headway. I still have a LOT of work to do on it.

Well don't forget to post the pics as you go. A lot of us feed off of this cool stuff!

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Nov 17, 2005 7:39 PM

Roger That!

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Nov 21, 2005 11:25 AM

Hey folks,

Here are a few progress pics of the fusion piece I am currently working on. I just got chased indoors by a nasty rain band. I may get back out there and work some more later. If I can, I'll post more pics of where I end up.

As always, positive comments are always appreciated.

-Gman

TG

Way to get back on the horse my man. Lookin good! Don't stop.........

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Nov 21, 2005 2:37 PM

Hey all,

Here are the rest of the progress pics of the fusion project from today. After the cold front came through it cleared up and I spent an hour or so on this carving. I mostly worked on his eyes and his ears. I still have lots to do. I'm working on this one in between other carving projects.

As always, comments are welcome....

-Gman

H
hewey posted on Mon, Nov 21, 2005 2:37 PM

As always, positive comments are always appreciated.

I got some negative comments - bugger the rain - go out and carve anyway! You call yourself a tiki-head - its only damn water...

H
hewey posted on Mon, Nov 21, 2005 2:45 PM

Hell - you read my mind. At the same time i was posting to get some more carving done - you had. Great minds think alike and all that. *So how do I fit into this... *

Nice carving man, I love the way you are oushing yourslef with the detials - sweet!

This really seams like a departure in you style. Im diggin it alot. r You enjoying the change of pace.

Carve on.

M

Sweet work G !!! Gonna do a Marq this year. You just inspired me.

Mahalo

Gman-
This is going to be another incredible piece. Even if you are doing a trad Tiki it is tight. I'm seeing your style eminate thru now. Hope you had a good B-day. I need to get down to Fla this winter I OWE YOU BIG TIME!!
rwd

This one has a bit of everything in it. I like the geometric quality of the features. So facinating watching these tikis evolve...

Rock on man!

Keep up the great work! :tiki:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2950 replies