Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Gman vs Wild - Page 1; Kotiate Warrior 183; BoatMan 184; Gman Lizard Dance 190; Screamer 193

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2,950 replies

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Mar 2, 2006 5:52 PM

Hey guys,

Thanks for checking in and leaving support - it's appreciated. I'm going to continue posting my more involved pieces and just sell my B&B pieces. If one is exceptionally koowel, I'll post it.

I'll be working on both Moari carvings this weekend, so stop back Saturday night for pics. I have folks driving up from South Florida to pick up a carving, so I'll be spending most of the day Saturday carving in the shop.

-Gman

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Mar 4, 2006 1:14 PM

Hey All,

The folks who drove up from South Florida left with two Gman tikis. I was sad to see them go, but it was time for them to get out on their own.

I spent a few hours nipping and tucking the Maori today. Nothing too wild. I worked on his ears, legs, back, chest, crotch, neck, and belly. I mostly just cleaned him up and got ready to do a light sand so I can start drawing/applying his Moko and inlays. I still need to do some heavy work on his lower legs, but I can't get my saw in there - so, I need to think about how to remove the wood I want gone. Here are some pics from today:

Thanks for looking,

Gman

C

this one really kicks it GMan...you are really getting it down on this style of tiki...
keep up the great work...and keep selling the other ones!

G, that wood grain and color are killin' me. Fantastic work.

B

He is gonna be a killer maori better then the first. Then you will do another one better then the second, and then........

J

He's cleaning up real nice.
JP

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Mar 5, 2006 11:01 AM

Conga - yeah, he kicks - my butt, every time I work on him. Thanks.

Tfisher - He's killin' me too. Hopefully today will be the last day I make any major shape changes to him. From here I think it will be sanding, Moko, and Ab inlays. Thanks for the props.

Benz - He's a killer, that's why I keep him outside. He scares me sometimes. He's jealous of the big Maori who gets to stay inside. Hopefully when I get him finished and bring him inside, he'll play nice. :)

JohnnyP - thanks, I think he's cleaning up well too. I have had no major problems so far. The Foredom and the Flexcuts have come in handy. Hopefully this will continue, and he will finish up nicely.

Here's a mid-day progress report. I've been working on M3's lower legs and feet this morning. I've got him about where I want him, however I still need to trim is top-knot. Next up is a good 60 grit sand all 'round so I can start laying out and carving the moko at night during the week. I want to get the tough dirty work out of the way so I can play indoors at night. Hope you all have great weather like we have today...here are some pics of M3:

-Gman

J

This tiki's got back! You did a lot today.

JP

[ Edited by: JohnnyP 2006-03-05 12:39 ]

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Mar 5, 2006 12:49 PM

JohnnyP,

He's got some junk in the trunk fo sho! After I took those pics, I cut and inch off of his top knot and got going on a 60 grit sand. I was able to get his arms and legs smooth enough to start the Moko, so I'll try to get going on that at night this week. Today was a fairly productive day. Thanks. Here's a pic of the Mini Me Maori chopped, sanded, and next to the big Maori.

-Gman

C

Great start GMan...I really like what you do with the hands on these guys....

H
hewey posted on Sun, Mar 5, 2006 6:05 PM

Cool work Gman - another maori masterpiece in the making

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Mar 5, 2006 6:12 PM

Conga and Hewey,

Thanks. You make me smile. I'm enjoying working on this guy. I'll be working on his Moko nights, after work, so hopefully I'll have more pics this week. Stand by.

-Gman

B

GMAN, he hi still lookin great, I can see where you are goin with the hands and feet. You are getting the inside legs cleaned up pretty well to me . I think you need to get some long gouges to get those legs with.
Keep up the good work.
Ben

P
pdrake posted on Mon, Mar 6, 2006 8:55 AM

that looks great. are you doing all this with a chainsaw? with the little, carving arm?

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Mar 6, 2006 5:01 PM

Benz - I think I've got that part licked. I was able to get the #50 in there and use some gouges. I like the kit of 4 I bought a lot. Boy have the 6 flexcuts I have for the #50 been helpful! Happy Happy Happy!!

pdrake - No, I don't have a dime tip carving bar for my powerhead. I use a standard 14" Oregon sprocket tip bar on my saw. However, I have basically adopted the Benzart 101 approach to my more intricate tiki carving - I use everything and anything to remove the wood that needs to go. I still make and sell my chainsaw only pieces, as well as my chainsaw and grinder pieces, but these more involved pieces require every tool I have (and several things I don't) to pull them off. Thanks for stopping by.

-Gman

H
hewey posted on Mon, Mar 6, 2006 6:59 PM

Hey dude - how about just posting finished pics of the bread and butter tikis? Not all the progress shots, but just a couple of finished ones.

Gman the maori turned out awesome i wood like to see it staind keep up the good work.

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Mar 8, 2006 5:47 PM

Hewey - OK, OK, OK, OK you guys are beating me down. I may post the next Gman tiki I make, however, if I do, and I hear any crap about chicklet teeth, logs with teeth, or Florida-style tiki carvings I'm gonna go apoplectic. If you notice, I haven't posted a single new carving with any teeth since that whole debate. The last thing I want is for that issue to open up again.

Marcus - thanks for the support. Doing these Maori Tekoteko pieces takes a lot of work. Some folks don't understand what they are all about or how they were proportioned (feet, head, etc.). I will be staining this guy as the color layers are hiding much of his facial features. This one is coming along exactly as planned....so far.

More later....

-Gman

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2006-03-08 17:48 ]

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Mar 9, 2006 4:27 PM

Hey guys,

I didn't mean for the above message to sound harsh....it wasn't intended to be taken that way.

I was back looking at this fellow's work again today and thought you all might like to surf his site too. I found him about 6 months ago - I like what he does. The piece on his homepage is just awesome. The more I look, the more I see. It's all very cool stuff.

http://www.johncollins.co.nz/index.htm

-Gman

B

Hey GMAN, you didn't say nuthin 'bout Chiklit teeth, you don't do those do ya'?? We don't want no chiklet teeth round here, Momma don't allow.
SO where izzit?? Where you been?
Welcome back!
Hohoho

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Mar 9, 2006 5:15 PM

Benz,

Yo mamma gots chicklet teeth!! :lol:

I've been right here...drawing Moko and hangin' out!

-Gman

P
pdrake posted on Thu, Mar 9, 2006 5:54 PM

jeez, that guys work is amazing. his pictures and website are also amazingly small.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Mar 9, 2006 6:09 PM

:)

-Gman

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2006-03-09 19:24 ]

L
Loki posted on Thu, Mar 9, 2006 6:44 PM

Yep, a GMAN original. The moko is really looking great. Any tips on symetry when you draw them? or are you burning through the eraser?

keep at it brah.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Mar 9, 2006 7:03 PM

Loki,

I actually got this one planned out before I drew it out on him. I just finished the other side. I'm gonna put the chisel to him now. I have the face worked out on paper, but it will have to wait until next week. Thanks for looking.

-Gman

J

Gettin' close now.
JP

B

He is looking Awful Good. Didn't take you long to learn how to carve a moko now did it. I think you've been holding out on us, What do you say guys? Has He??

TG

Yeah........

TG

And, it rocks, from one chicklet teeth carving boy from Florida to another;)

G-Man, keep it up bro'.

[ Edited by: Tiki G. 2006-03-10 17:10 ]

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Mar 10, 2006 5:55 PM

JohnnyP, Benz, and TikiG,

I'm not holding out on you - I promise :wink:

I got home a bit early today, so I finished up the carving of the body Moko. Here are some pics I took as I was cutting it. The flash washes the moko out, so until I can take pics with ambient light these will have to do:

As always, comments are appreciated. More update pics next week.......

-Gman

J

The Moko looks real clean, looks like you have it down pat. I hope you weren't playing hookie from work and admitted it here. I see the Gman tikis wanted to be posted so much they jumped behind the main subject just as you took the last picture.

JP

Nice looking job, G!

Moko is looking goooood! Curious about the finish you will apply. Post more pix when you have time.

Mahalo,
Beachnik

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Mar 11, 2006 4:13 AM

JohnnyP - Thanks for the comments on the Moko. All I did was the layout and kept the chisels sharp, the toolz did all the work.

BK - Thanks. Once I get his face done, he'll look mo' betta.

Beachnik - I'm glad you like him so far. Still lots left to do. The finish will likely be fairly dark, although I'm not sure yet. I will be experimenting with some different stains/stain mixes and cedar scraps here in the next few weeks. After I cut all his Moko, I'll still have a couple of weeks worth of sanding before staining.

-Gman

B

GeeMan, every time you touch him, he looks better and better. Still waiting for the face Moko though. Not much left to do before you Have to work on it. Lookin good, Can't Wait.

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Mar 11, 2006 4:56 AM

Benz,

I have the face Moko worked out on paper. I should be able to get it drawn out and carved in next week, but I need to fly to DC for an awards ceremony. I am getting a Federal Bronze Medal for my work to reduce bycatch and bycatch mortality in the U.S. pelagic longline fishery. I'll be gone a few days. The short week may ruin my chances for getting the face Moko carved in, but I think I can pull it off. I just don't want to rush it.

-Gman

another great one GMan....your moko is very nice....and congratulations on the award...have
a great time...then get back to work so we can see more.

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Mar 14, 2006 6:07 PM

Conga,

No time for carving right now, but I'll be back at it soon. Lots a work and hunting going on right now. I'll pick up the carving again next week. Thanks for the positive comment. :)

-Gman

C

GMAN You rock!!That is a inspiring piece.Capo

H
hewey posted on Tue, Mar 14, 2006 9:19 PM

Nice. I particularly like the shape of the thigh, and the tattoo on it. I just love the shape of it.

Hey GMAN- This piece is simply beautiful! All around..... The smoothness, design, workmanship and 2-tone is amazing!

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Mar 15, 2006 6:18 PM

Capo - Thanks for checking in. I'm glad you find him inspiring, he's been a fun project.

Hewey - So, you're a thigh-man aye? Thanks for commenting on the little man :)

Sam - From you, that comment means a lot. Thank you. Hopefully you will like the finished product as well.

I'll post new pics next week - no time to work on him right now.

-Gman

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Mar 19, 2006 3:13 PM

Hey All,

Look what I picked up this weekend! I didn't have the new sandrail here 10 minutes and the tikis grabbed it and took it out for a beat ride. Now I need to sell LOTS more tikis to pay for all the VW parts I need to replace and all the ones I'm gonna break in the next little while.......I'm a bit hard on equipment :wink:

I wonder how well this thing can fly????? Big-air pics coming soon.....

-Gman

H

Hey G-
The Moko dude is awesome. Can't wait to see the final result. I also can't wait till the day comes when I can get hold of a fine piece of wood like that--not that I could do with it what you've done with it. I get tired of these spongy sabal palm logs I keep running across. You've got a good thing going with being a carver and a part-time tree man (Gman the tree man--you need a sign for your truck!!!!)

That sand buggy you got there rocks too. You should tiki-fy the hell out of it. Carve you a nice tiki shifter, etc.

Been out of the loop since I last exchanged sentences w/ you. I blew 2 disks in my lower back (L4 and L5- not carving related) going to get cut open this coming Fri. and I'm nervous as a longtailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs!!!!!

J

No wonder you haven't posted any work all weekend! That looks fun, if you can get back from the tikis.
JP

that does look like a lotta fun.....now get back to work...we miss you!

H
hewey posted on Sun, Mar 19, 2006 5:55 PM

Cool rail man! Cant wait to see it given a tiki touch too :)

Cant wait to see some big air pics too :) :)

TG

Well?????? What'd she say?????? Dying to know.........

RADICAL!!!!! I sure miss mine.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2950 replies