Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Gman vs Wild - Page 1; Kotiate Warrior 183; BoatMan 184; Gman Lizard Dance 190; Screamer 193

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2,950 replies

G it's such a beautiful day, I was thinking twice about driving to Melbourne to check out the cedar tree. I looked at you're work and I'm on my way. I'll let ya know about it.
Thom

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Apr 8, 2006 3:03 PM

Thom - too bad you couldn't score that wood. It sounds real nice. I would walk through fire to get 50 feet of cedar log.

Benz - Thanks, I like the color. I may leave him with bare stain as I like the aged dull look. What do you guys say...satin poly or no poly?

Here are some pics I took as I worked today...

Thanks for stopping by,

Gman

W-H-O-A! (gulp)...Drop D-E-A-D Gorgeous!!! ...err-uhHmmm..if uh, one was to look at this manly warrior as an object of beauty, of course?!!!
...and I bet 'sandings' a breeze when you drop the treads of your rail in the sandbox and let'er
rip...Hooo-Daddy!!! Hee-hee!...and do ya put the big guy on a Sit-N-Spin outside the sandbox when 'sanding' or do ya wrastle him around ta smooth out his rough-around edges!?!!...Hoo-haHa-hee! TeeHee Central!! HAa-aAH-Ho-HOooheee..uUuGhHhh..OOooh,OUCH!...DANG! Stepped on my crank, again!

Seriously diggin' your works and GMAN, you got some sweeeet toys in the garage!

flip-flop-flip-flop-flippp...TravelingJones

B

Hey GEEE, I love the stail and the poly. I think the stained one could use a light sanding and a few coats of poly too,,, Light coates. Lookin good GMAN, Lookin Good.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Apr 9, 2006 10:41 AM

Traveling Jones - thanks for the flattering comments. I'm glad you like him. I put a lot of energy into him; hopefully he'll give some back. As for toys, yes sir, you can never have too many. I love doing "stuff", and you can't do "stuff" without toys. I'm lucky in that my hobbies support my other hobbies! Sweet!

Benz - I hear ya. I'm gonna wait on the poly to make sure that I don't need to get additional stain in any new checks. I harvested this tree in October, so it hasn't really been seasoned very long. At first I wasn't liking him at all; especially after the rough out. I kept on him though, and I am quite pleased with the results. I almost quit on him several times. It's been a long time since I flat out quit on a carving - although I still have a shark and a sawfish floating around here.........

-Gman

TG

G, like the Gator. Go Gators! Also dig the dark stain you put on the Maori. Looks awesome.

Dig the rail too. Good side view shot of it. Thanks for posting it. Your gonna have fun with that thing;)

Hope things are cool. Keep up the good work!

Nice stuff, G. I'
m fixing to send you something...shoot me your e-mail.

Gman, I really enjoy looking at your vast and varied body of work, it's amazing stuff. From the pure chainsaw art to the authentic looking maoris with moku. Your fish are really cool too, clubs, sharks, gators all sweet, keep up the great work!

J

That new stain really works for the mini Moari me. We need a family shot with all three side by side.
JP

OK, there's always a critic. Not really diggin the drak stain. That cedar has such beatiful color ranges that (in my opinion) a lighter stain may have looked better. Perhaps a pine or walnut stain for the next one? Even if I don't like the dark stain that is still a fantastic piece. Keep 'em comin.

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Apr 11, 2006 3:51 PM

TikiG - thanks for stopping by. Bean busy here! I'm glad you approve of the stain, I likes it too. I'm heading out to hang with the rail club in the pit this weekend...still can't take mine though....still lots to do to fix/protect it before I let loose!

BK - I sent ya my email...I haven't gotten a message back yet. Thanks for the comment on the Maori.

Sneaky - you make me blush! Thanks. I'm glad you like all the different stuff I do...I have a lot of fun doing it! Variety is the spice of life...yes?

JohnnyP - thanks, I was hoping you would approve of the stain job. It took a while, doing this and a little of that, to get the look I wanted, but I got it.

AlohaStation - dunno what to say man.....too bad you no likee. Gman likee. I'll be staining my other small Maori this weekend. I won't do him exactly the same, but he's gonna be close. It will be neat to have all three of them finished and on display here in the house. Let's hope they don't vote me off the island.....

-Gman

H

Lookin' good as always Gman. You never cease to amaze me--but with your talent, I'm never really surprised either when you cough up a jewel like your tekteko man. You should stick him in the bushes somewhere, cast some red or green uplighting on him at night and give us a moody photo!

We had a few small tornadoes in Chstn county over the wknd--lotsa downed trees-might be a surplus of wood to be found if your up this way.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Apr 13, 2006 3:42 PM

Surf-n-Turf,

I'm glad you are back and feeling well. Coming back from a surgery is tough stuff; don't over do it now. Good luck scoring wood from the tornado - lemme know what you get. My log pile is getting low. I need to do a little log recon also. I only have two choice cedar logs left.

Thanks for tremendous compliment! As for "coughing up jewels" I dunno about that. I just carve them the way I envision them. I have spent crazy amounts of time researching Maori figure carvings and I really like what they did with their full body 3D post figures (Poutokomanawa) and Tekoteko figures. I've tried to carve pieces that reflect some of the characteristics of a few of the historical pieces that really appeal to me. My carvings are as close to an original as I will ever own (a verified Maori post figure sold at a Sotheby's auction for a million dollars 20 years ago!), plus I really enjoy having mine around. With this last piece, I tried to get the right patina - one that looked as though it had been carved several hundred years ago and had been touched by thousands of hands. I carved this guy quickly, and was pleasantly surprised with the way he finished up. After the rough out I almost sent him packing.....

I'll try to get some "moody" pics of him and the others this weekend. I don't have much in the way of lighting for pics...will a maglight do?

-Gman

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2006-04-13 15:48 ]

J

PMUB over the TOPS

Just make sure you do "moody" pictures not mood pictures. Whatcha carvin this weekend?
JP

[ Edited by: JohnnyP 2006-04-13 16:45 ]

For crying out loud, GMAN... This recent stuff is lookin' killer.... I love a good Maori!

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Apr 16, 2006 7:36 AM

JohnnyP and Sam -thanks for dropping in and thanks for the kind words. He was a lot of fun to carve. I'll post some different pics of him when I figure out a way to get good lighting/cooler pics. I'll play around with the camera and see what I can get. Right now he is in our great room where I can watch him and he can watch out for all of us.

I've been eyeing a nice 5' cedar log in the garage.....I don't know what I want to make yet, but with Maggie pulling Doc duty up at Einstein, I'm gonna have a some free time to kill........

I didn't carve at all this weekend, but I did spend a lot of time working on the sandrail. I joined the rail club here and needed to get my rail and my trailer ready for the weekend pit/dune ride/campout. I beat the snot out of my rail all day yesterday. I was going to go back to the pit today, but I can't get it to run long enough to back it off my trailer :( So, I may have some issues. I was thinking that I was hearing a buncha bad engine noise when I was pushing it in the hill climb area, but I'm hoping it's just a fuel/carb problem. We'll see. It's likely just a carb issue as I'm sure I got sand in it everywhere - even with two layers of my wife's stockings over the intake. It's time to break it apart and see what's going on in there.....Here are some pics of the weekend ride and the dunes - I'm the blue buggy.......

-Gman

B

I can see it now, the Carving time is gonna take a big hit. TRhat rail is gonna take over the spare time in GMANs life.
Happy Easter GMAN

GMan you should come out to the southwest and check out the Dunes in Glimis!

H
hewey posted on Mon, Apr 17, 2006 4:22 AM

Mate looking good man! Cool rail, pumping out cool bread and butter tikis and also slowly working on the masterpieces too! Great stuff. The stained maori came up great!

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Apr 18, 2006 6:06 PM

Hey guys, no new carvings here. Hopefully I can put something together for this weekend.

Unfortunately, I am going to have to miss the Tiki Jam, so I guess I'll try to do some carving around here. Earnie is not well and my wife is working out of town. It wouldn't be right for me to leave him alone for so long.

In regard to carvings, not much is really appealing to me right now, aside from the Maori figure carvings. Maybe I'll start another one of those, or maybe something else.....

-Gman

T

GMAN! Your sandrail is almost as awesome as your carvings! I got to drive one around Oregon Dunes State Park (Or was it Honeyman State Park in Oregon - I can't remember it was a few years ago...) - what a blast! That's one helluva sport... those dunes were soooo big too - we almost got lost out there.

L
Loki posted on Tue, Apr 18, 2006 6:39 PM

Hey G,
Sorry to hear you cant make it, but we understand. Earnie needs you so do what you gotta do. I know he's family. Sometimes some time off can recharge the batteries. Take some time. I always look forward to seeing any of your work.

H
Helz posted on Wed, Apr 19, 2006 2:04 PM

G, I'm bummed that you can't make it to the Jam on Saturday, but I completey understand. So hurry up and take a break and then get back to it. I'm really looking forward to seeing more of your great stuff, and how about a couple GMAN's in the mix? Gotta love'em.

-H

TG

How'z things down south Gman? Hope everythings cool. GET BUSY AND QUIT PLAYING WITH THE RAIL!!!!!!!! Hard to do I know;) Been there........

J

So what's on deck for this weekend, saw or rail?
JP

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Apr 21, 2006 5:37 PM

Uhhhhhhh........BOTH!

-Gman

[ Edited by: GMAN 2006-04-21 17:37 ]

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Apr 23, 2006 6:20 PM

Sorry Johnny....the rail got the time this weeked. I'll be carving this week, so stop back by.

-Gman

Do I have to start a hunger strike now? Alright...I'm not going to eat any more than three meals
a day until I see some GMan carving!

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Apr 23, 2006 7:15 PM

:lol:

-Gman

B

I'm with Conga on the Hunger strike!., Missed you at the Yiki Jam, You missed a great time. I Understand why you couldn't come, but we missed you anyway. Now lets forget that Rail and get some tiki magic up and going!!

J

Gman,
Since I wasn't seeing any postings from you, I did a bit of satellite spying this weekend. It turns out you were "carving" this weekend after all.

Found him in Florida,

Look close and you will see his tire tracks made the rough shape of a tiki.

:)

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Apr 24, 2006 4:11 PM

Conga, Benz, and JohnnyP,

That's a gas! You guys are too funny! Johnny, that satellite image is crazy. you guys are too cool!

Actually, Saturday I spent a good part of the day helping a friend set roof trusses, frame out, and plywood a new building on his property. Just trying to help a friend out, as he has helped me quite a bit. On Sunday, I wanted to carve, but I got hung up in working on the rail here at the house - trying to get some stuff sourced-out that I can't do. I got a good bit of work in and fixed a few things that were dangerous. Unfortunately, I found several more things while I was working. I'm sure I'll get it almost set up and the engine will detonate. It's not long for this world.....but I do need to be "airworthy" for Memorial Day :)

I've been looking at the two cedar logs I have left and I'm don't see anything yet. Hopefully something hits me soon. I still have one Maori to finish (below), but I've been putting off sanding him......

Here are some updated pics of the rail.

-Gman

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: gman 2006-04-27 04:56 ]

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Apr 26, 2006 11:15 AM

Very cool change! Thank you Hanford. I really like the idea of having a carving forum. Very nice!

Now I just need to do some carving.... :)

-Gman

J

On 2006-04-26 11:15, GMAN wrote:

Now I just need to do some carving.... :)

-Gman

Yes, Yes you do.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Apr 30, 2006 3:49 PM

Hey all, I'm still here.....

I put the top coats of spar on my deep mahogany stained Maori. Here are a few pics of him. None of the pics came out real well. I'll find a backdrop to use when I post the pics of the three Maori figure carvings together.

-Gman (or someone acting as Gman)

J

That came out friggen terrific. The color and luster makes it. I like the Gman tiki that jumped in the shot as well.

JP

WOW! The dark stain REALLY Rocks! It looks AWESOME!

B

Woah, GMAN, This Maori shows how much work you put into him, he is Awesome. HE has been waiting for that varnish a looong time, but it was well worth the wait. Keep him around as he's definitely a Keeper. Sherry and I will be over in mid June to see him, And you too while we're there!
You can be Very Proud of this guy and I think He knows you are!

Your Moari turned out great G-Man - I love that dark stain - really brings out the work.

Gman, your heart & soul went into that piece and it shows. Thanks for all of the progress pix. I like to chime in on the finished piece, and I have to say that one is tops! Beautiful work!

A-A

Top notch.

That's a labor of love there and it shows... nice work!

K

that guy looks like a million bucks literaly... i could picture him in some realy rich guys den or sumthin ....awsome work....

Aloha G-MAN!!!
Your carving looks Killer my friend!!!! Keep up the excellent works of art! Aloha your friend , mooney

M
McTiki posted on Mon, May 1, 2006 4:03 AM

Awesome GMan! Looks like you have morphed into a truly inspiring carver.

L
Loki posted on Mon, May 1, 2006 5:32 AM

G,
That finish is really great on him. He looks like a show piece. Be proud of the triplets.

"He who does anything because it is the custom makes no choice."
Tiki Jam 2

[ Edited by: Loki 2006-05-01 07:25 ]

I wasn't a fan of the dark stain?? What the hell was I talkin about - that color is beautiful. Definately a show piece. keep em coming.

Excellent Work!

YEAH!!
Gman, way to go. I love 'em. You dropped the tattoos in pretty quick, nice job, it looks sweet.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2950 replies