Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Gman vs Wild - Page 1; Kotiate Warrior 183; BoatMan 184; Gman Lizard Dance 190; Screamer 193

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2,950 replies

boy oh boy...another Maori from GMan....keep em coming...excited about your plans for the next
one..but I can't imagine them getting much better.

G
GMAN posted on Tue, May 16, 2006 5:11 AM

Conga,

I didn't think I could do much better than the last one - all the stars were in alignment for him, right to the end. SO, that's exactly why I decided to start another. I'm gonna push further, incorporate more style, some difficult moves, and try to learn a few things. The more tricks one has in their toolbox, the better the work.

-Gman

Hey GMan, I may be new around here but I can sense that the tiki gods have given you the carving mana! Incredible Maori pieces for us to see...keep them coming! Cheers from the palms of Venice.

Beachnik

Hey I believe the G-Man is carving his own personal Maori Army! I used carving to get me over the horrors of giving up smoking - I needed to hit something real bad so I found a log on my property and went at it!! Good to see you have ways of letting off steam - the rail looks like fun! I really look forward to seeing your stuff - very cool.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, May 18, 2006 6:12 PM

Beachnik - Wecome aboard! Thanks very much for the compliment. I've been carving for a long time, and have worked hard at it since I was very young. I agree, the tiki gods have given me much mana.

Marcus - Damn! You uncovered my secret plot. I planned on carving my own Maori army and working witht them to take over the world. Now that you told everyone, I'll have to come up with another fiendish-plot! Now if I could only get my hands on some mutated sea bass.........

-Gman

Nice to see the saw at work again. I think that you will rock the hell out of this one even with the new details your adding.

I know how it is to get in a funk Gman , My wife was gone for 5 weeks and I was here with 3 kids by myself. Take care of yourself.

G
GMAN posted on Fri, May 19, 2006 5:32 PM

Rodeo,

We'll see what happens with this guy. I'm hoping to get a few hours in on him tomorrow. Hopefully I can finish the saw work and move on to the chisels. I've got some neat ideas. Check back tomorrow.

-Gman

G
GMAN posted on Sat, May 20, 2006 8:54 AM

new pics. my computer drank some coffee this morning and my keyboard doesn't work well. i may be fown for the count so i wanted to post these

this one is for johhnyp - sorry bad lighting......

-gman

B

GMAN, this new PMaori looks like he will be as good Or BETTER than his brothers. You are really getting the knack of the Maori down pretty well. Fix your keyboard then Carve, Carve and carve some More. (Leave that Rail thingie alone too!)

G
GMAN posted on Sat, May 20, 2006 12:26 PM

benz - been carving today. my laptop is a mess. oh jeeze. thanks for the compliment.

i'm getting calls/emails for gman tikis and i got none to sell. i'm gonna pass on these sales.

tikig (gary) - if you read this, would you like to sell some of your stuff to my peeps....i have a couple i can send your way.

anyway, here is my update for today. i dug deeper into this guy's back, cut the window in his right elbow/back area, did the plunge cut for his legs, and did a lot of chisel work below his waist. it's hot out there, man. i'm done for the day. pics below:

This pic is for benz: i'm not spending any time on it at all :wink:

-gman

B

The Rail looks so forlorn! I didnt mean it I promise.
Nice updates

J

Thanks for the picture. Happy Happy Happy. I like to see the results of all that talent. But with the stern expression on their faces, it reminded me of the executives in the last staff meeting I attended. Your tikis are a lot more fun though.

I can already tell your new moari is a whole lot more complex then the last couple.

JP

[ Edited by: JohnnyP 2006-05-20 17:27 ]

G
GMAN posted on Sun, May 21, 2006 12:21 AM

Hey all. It's three in the morning and I can't sleep, so I went out in the garage and started a hei-tiki. He is like 2.75" tall by 2" wide and made from oak. Dunno when I'll finish him. I haven't made a tiki pendant since 1991!

-Gman

Sleep is overrated. It keeps you from working. Good job G. Welcome to today's late night work club. You have a three hour head start, but I'm right there with you, working away tonight. Buzzy

G
GMAN posted on Sun, May 21, 2006 3:26 AM

Buzzy - yep, I'm still up. It's getting light now. I worked a little more on the hei tiki. He's gonna need a lotta sanding, but I'm finished cutting on him. Time for bed....

-Gman

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2006-05-21 11:44 ]

G
GMAN posted on Sun, May 21, 2006 11:32 AM

more progress on the hei tiki. Working small is tough with my chainsaw. I want to stain this one so that it looks like old ivory or bone.

-Gman

B

Hey GMAN, you should have insomnia more often. This is a nice pendant, I LIkee!

J

[

This guy looks just how I would expect to look after a night of carving. Seriously, a very nice job.

JP

H
hewey posted on Sun, May 21, 2006 8:26 PM

Cool man! I think you should sleep less if this is the result!

Watch your fingers with the chainsaw doing those small pieces... Or do you get someone else to hold it?

"now, just hold this steady for daddy..." :)

H
Helz posted on Sun, May 21, 2006 9:17 PM

Again...Nice work, man! I LOVE the pendant.

B

GMAN, just let me know the diameter of the eyes and I can make it happen. Lookin' good.

G
GMAN posted on Mon, May 22, 2006 4:50 PM

Benz,

I'll just mail him over to you? That way we don't need to be all rushing around when you stop by. You can just bring him back with ya? Whattaya think red or ab?

-Gman

GMan
you're using a teenie weenie chainsaw right? It's cool!
And what are you and Ben up to?

G
GMAN posted on Mon, May 22, 2006 7:03 PM

Conga - We're up to no good, that's for sure .......

H
hewey posted on Mon, May 22, 2006 8:17 PM

On 2006-05-22 19:03, GMAN wrote:
Conga - We're up to no good, that's for sure .......

Well, that goes without saying!

Im suddenly scared - MAORI ARMY!!

Watch out its global too - Marcus has started the Australian battalion. And Gman has plenty of chainsaws and cannons!

You've gone small! You probably used the same mini chainsaw, AA used on his.

B

Boy, I Wish I could find a small finger held chainsaw. That would be So Cool. We aren't up to nutthin.

J

Ya gunna pull another all nighter this holiday weekend? What's on deck?

JP

G
GMAN posted on Fri, May 26, 2006 12:58 PM

JP,

It's a dune buggy weekend. The club is having a pig roast and camp out in the pit and we will be having several bracket races. I'll be up there Saturday and Sunday, but will be back home Monday, carving a 7 foot blue heron head and neck for the top of Traveler's Chickee hut. He needs it quick, so I only have one day to pull a bird out of this cypress log. The log is broken up pretty bad, so I'll post pics If I pull it off. Also, I have a client coming up from Naples who will hopefully take several Gman tikis home with him Monday.

-Gman

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2006-05-26 13:08 ]

Good luck racing. I'll record the UFC for you if you miss it. I have a DVD burner and I could send you a copy. Just don't tell Dana White or the FBI. I just heard that the forth season of The Ulimate Fighter will feature 16 UFC veterans living together. The winners from each bracket will get an automatic title shot after the finals. Nick Diaz and Riggs are rumored to both be in it and are already talking back and forth. Can't wait.
Buzzy

G
GMAN posted on Fri, May 26, 2006 5:26 PM

Buzzy,

Good, this season sucks and I bet they are loosing ratings bad. They better get some fighters in there cause some of these cats should be bagging groceries or working as hair dressers.

-Gman

G
GMAN posted on Mon, May 29, 2006 7:13 AM

Hey all,

I hope all are enjoying your long weekend. I am! I'm heading out to put the saw to Traveler's Cypress Chickee hut log. I gots to makes a BIG bird!

We had our bracket races in the pit yesterday. What a blast! Rita rode shotgun with me in the rail for both our qualifier lap and our race lap (you would think that she would be smarted than that, being a doctor and all....). For those of you who don't know what we were up to, it goes like this: we set up a course around the property and included a lot of climbs, off camber turns, tight spaces, and fast stretches. First, each rail does one all-out lap for time on the course. Your lap time is recorded, and that is now your break-out time; you can't run the course faster than that time during competition or you will be disqualified. After everyone runs their qualifier, you then start the main runs. The key here is consistency. You are not running against the guy next to you with twice the motor, just your own time. Rita and I broke out (posted a faster lap time for our second run) by 1.4 seconds. Damn! My friend Dave broke out by only .45 seconds! The winner ran just .02 seconds slower than his qualifier and won the pot. Jeeze, talk about consitency - and he was hammering!

During the racing we were all busy with the course, but I took a few pics of the main area before we got started. Club members came from as far as Panama City to ride and race. Here are a few pics....

I'll post the pics of the Chickee post later tonight.....

-Gman

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2006-05-29 07:14 ]

G
GMAN posted on Mon, May 29, 2006 2:31 PM

Hey all,

Me again....here's some progress pics of the chickee post for Traveler. It's just about all done, but my camera took a dump at the end of the day. I think you'll get the idea of what he ordered. He wanted a neck and head of a great blue heron on this cypress log. The wood was rough, twisted, kinda broken up, and full of ants. Anyway, I did the best with what we had and left some of the rough wood on. I killed the ants. You can see I am trying to save some of the wood at the end of his beak to give it the length it needs. It should harden up fine. All I've got left is a final sand and I'm done. Traveler is gonna give him a multi-color stain job (around the beak, face, and plumage on his head) and a little sealer. Sorry about not having pics with the eyes and beak completed, but my camera is having a bad day.

I couldn't stop clowning around as my wife was trying to take pictures. Sorry.

-Gman

B

Looks like a Sweet bird coming there. I think the guy Has to be one Happy guy. I Knew he would be great coming from you.

Looks great. I like the flow of the wood from the side angle. Lets see him finished.

H
hewey posted on Tue, May 30, 2006 7:17 AM

On 2006-05-29 14:31, GMAN wrote:
Sorry about not having pics with the eyes and beak completed, but my camera is having a bad day.

No wonder your camera broke man! :)

Nice bird

J

Look, it's Big Bird and Count Scary. -- "One.... One Big Bird".

G
GMAN posted on Tue, May 30, 2006 2:59 PM

YOU CALLIN' ME UGLY???!!!!

:lol:

-Gman

Fix the camera! Now let me get this straight GMan....the misses finally gets home....
you're carving again...AND getting her to take pictures....great woman!

G Man,

Geez, it looks like you are having lots of fun ofer ther in sunny Florida. Nice pants, are those your kevlar specials? I need to start wearing some protective gear, chainsaws and flipflops don't seem to mix too well.

Will

G
GMAN posted on Wed, May 31, 2006 5:18 PM

Benz, AlohaStation, Hewey, JohnnyP, Conga, and SCTikiShack,

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on the bird - even if you were making fun of my face in that pic! Your commentary - I mean comments - keep me going :)

Well, here's what Traveler ordered and what I came up with. The log was the limiting factor here, but I could have added lots of detail. I learned all the feather techniques when I used to do duck decoys. Traveler wanted a basic carving and said the details would be wasted as this will be high in the air. Anyway, I'm finished. From this stage Traveler plans on doing some staining, oiling, and maybe some sealing. I hope he likes it! When I get pics of it up on top of the Chickee hut, I'll post them here.

Thanks for stopping by. Now back to that Maori I've been chipping on.......

-Gman

L
Loki posted on Wed, May 31, 2006 5:41 PM

Beautiful work G. You were the best for this job. What ya got next? I think you should go small.

J

That would look neat hanging in the air over a hut. Nice job out of what looked like a nasty log.

JP

B

Your Heron looks Great. I would love to see some close-ups of the detail. Looks like you did some Fancy stuff there..

H
hewey posted on Wed, May 31, 2006 7:50 PM

Nice bird man :)

I wasn't only making fun of your face... :)

With friends like these... haha

Fine Heron there, GMAN! That's a huge head! The huger, the cooler I always say! :wink:

T

Can't wait to see it in person, you should have seen the messed-up log before he started. Glad Greg could see in it what I could.

8T

Gman, good job freeing the bird from the wood! I like the carving but I HATE real herons. One just emptied my fish pond without asking. I don't hunt or anything in fact I am sort of an animal lover but, If there was an animal I would consider harming it would be herons. Why can't they just eat wild fish I ask you?? :-?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2950 replies