Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Fortune Magazine covers Tiki

Pages: 1 12 replies

The current issue of Fortune Magazine has an article about the resurgence of Tiki bars.

You can find it here:
http://www.fortune.com/indexw.jhtml?channel=artcol.jhtml&doc_id=210122

Thanks to my friend BreElle for letting me know!

Yee-Haw & Aloha,
Tiki Kiliki

The World of Tiki Kiliki

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki on 2002-11-05 19:10 ]

Interesting -- there's a Kahiki in Barcelona!

PolynesianPop wrote:
there's a Kahiki in Barcelona!

Indeed...I'm visiting next February!

In fact, Tiki Chris is either there right now or is about to go, so expect a report soon.

Trader Woody

M

Woody/Chris-

What about these places mentioned in the article:

Down
2 Essex Rd.
London
011-44-20-7704-8789

Waikiki
28 Frith St.
London
011-44-20-7434-3881

I haven't seen them mentioned here before.

M

Woody/Chris-

Down
2 Essex Rd.
London
011-44-20-7704-8789

Waikiki
28 Frith St.
London
011-44-20-7434-3881

M

Wow! Fortune magazine. The next time we talk about TikiStock perhaps it will be listed on the NYSE. Here's to our mutual fun!

S

Tiki_Kiliki,

Thanks for the article! I especially love the caption "Tiki Lives!" Fortune Magazine just may have created a new mantra for us!

martiki6 wrote:
Woody/Chris-

Down/Waikiki

I've heard reports from both, and neither really sound like they should be called a Tiki bar. Tiki Chris' wife Emi went to the Waikiki and said it's really just a modern bar with a bit of Hawaiian styling. Probably Chris could elaborate.

Heilco from the SLP told me that Down called themselves the first Tiki Bar in London (Errrrmmm....Trader Vic's?) and was more of a bamboo joint with little Tiki to show. I've been slow in making the journey as I've not held out a great deal of hope for the place. If they don't know about Vic's (never mind the Beachcomber), then they don't know Tiki.

But yes, you're right. I'll make up my own mind when I visit, but they don't seem to be Tiki bars.

Trader Woody

TC

[i]On 2002-11-05 16:15, Trader Woody wrote:

In fact, Tiki Chris is either there right now or is about to go, so expect a report soon.

Trader Woody

In fact, Tiki Chris is back in (a rainy, dreary) London chugging away at some tedious school projects, wishing he were still back in Barcelona! What an AMAZING city!

Of course I'll post a review (when photos are developed & I actually have the time). But here's a sneak peak (in the form of a coaster) for now:

Tiki Chris

Here's a little update.
I walked past the Waikiki on monday morning, by chance, and it turns out it's where the Bahai Thai used to be. (I hadn't realised that it changed hands.) The Bahai Thai was a little bamboo bar with pufferfish lights, and a decent happy hour where they served a 'Tiki God' in a glass Tiki mug. For many a year, it was the only Tiki-esque alternative to Trader Vic's, and we acually kicked off our first British Tiki Convention there.

So, I peeked into the new Waikiki, and was a tad disappointed. Gone was the amusing 'boat table', as well as the cocktail menu on the window. The bamboo had been given a varnish, and there were some Hawaiian magazine covers stuck on the wall, but no Tiki to be seen. Oh, well.

Trader Woody

There's a link to a very nice website in that article, that I would like to emphasize here: http://www.city-in-space.com
It's about polynesian bars and other exotic theme locations in Barcelona and contains excellent photos.

Hi guys - been off-message for a while but am slowly returning to life. For Down! to call itself a tiki bar is a blatant abuse of the Trades Descriptions Act -- plus it is, or was, hardly ever open. It is the downstairs bit of an anonymous bar/restaurant in Islington. It is attractively, but blandly, decorated with bamboo wallpaper in approved cod-Seventies styling -- no actual Tiki accoutrements whatsoever that I recall when I went there. Plus, they only open at the weekend and (of course) play mostly hip-hop -- no lounge/exotica etc. whatsoever (confirmed by the owner, who had never heard of exotica and spat on the idea of lounge. Seems he doesn't know his Islington very well...). So NATURALLY the advertising is smothered in Lono and the like. Tchah! Seems that what's "cool" these days is the IDEA of tiki. The tiki story in London, as far as I am aware, is Trader Vic's and South London Pacific and that's your lot.

theandrewssister wrote:
So NATURALLY the advertising is smothered in Lono and the like. Tchah!

Hey! Good to see you back!
Yeah, I'd thought as much from 'Down'. A pity. It would be interesting to see the Lono ads, though, as they are obviously giving off a false impression. Perhaps with a little shove in the right direction, they may begin to incorporate real Tiki into their decor. There's still hope....

I'm curious as to who is feeding Fortune with these faux London Tiki bar details. It would depress me to think a Tiki-phile would visit London, hit 'Down' and miss South London Pacific or Vic's.

Trader Woody

Pages: 1 12 replies