Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Tiki Village Motel, Vernon, BC, Canada (motel)

Pages: 1 12 replies

Name:Tiki Village Motel
Type:motel
Street:2408- 34th Street
City:Vernon, BC
State:
Zip:V1T 5W8
Phone:250-503-5566

Description:
Their brochure claims "A Polynesian theme in the heart of the Okanagan" but the Tiki Village Motel in Vernon, BC has been changed since it was first built decades ago. Recent renovations (within the last decade) make the Motel appear more Japanese in theme. After talking with a current employee, I learned that tikis were once scattered around the compound but were removed when the penultimate owners took over the place in the late 90's. Some pics:

Front of Motel

Another View of the A-Frame

I was told a Tiki once stood in this alcove

Another view of the sign

Row of rooms with interesting beams accentuated

The only Tikis still on the premesis.

[ Edited by: Slacks Ferret 2009-09-24 13:18 ]

[ Edited by: Slacks Ferret 2009-09-24 13:21 ]

T

Ah, I had always wondered what that place looked like! thanks for the pics - good work!

Thanks Tikifish.

I gotta give most of the credit to Sweet Daddy Tiki. He was the one who remembered there was a Vernon "Tiki Site to Explore" in Tiki Road Trip. And he did all the driving...

Hopefully he'll chime in here soon with his photos of the courtyard (I forgot to take some).

We were both quite happy to find that we found an undocumented and authentic Tiki relic and not just some $h*thole that used the word Tiki in their title a la the Tiki Ming Chinese fast food franchise

On 2005-08-04 17:28, Slacks Ferret wrote:
I gotta give most of the credit to Sweet Daddy Tiki. He was the one who remembered there was a Vernon "Tiki Site to Explore" in Tiki Road Trip. And he did all the driving...

Hopefully he'll chime in here soon with his photos of the courtyard (I forgot to take some).

Aw, shucks, you're the one who thought to bring the book along and who pumped the handyman (or whatever he was) for info. Here's the photos I have that don't duplicate yours:

Slacks checks it out:

Cement block fence surrounding pool:

More courtyard pictures:

There are also some panoramas on their website.

Even though they've removed almost all trace of Tiki, it looks like a nicely kept place and I'd certainly consider staying there the next time I pass that way (next year's trip to Vancouver?).

-Sweet Daddy T.
Because crap doesn't buy itself.

blog

[ Edited by: Sweet Daddy Tiki 2008-09-18 01:48 ]

E

That is so cool and I love that it's the Gem of the Valley! Thanks to both of you for the research and pics.

Just spent a night there!
Even though it is not the fantastic TIKI dreamland one would hope the place to be,they are at least trying, and plan on adding more to the decor when it becomes available to them .I spoke with the manager and she said they would be into purchasing art/carvings to dress the place up so not all is lost ,they seem friendly enough as well .

( a REAL WITCO lamp in my room)

definitely plan on staying there again , easy location within walking distance of Vernon's main street too!

I stayed there in 2007. I posted a pic of the lamp in my room on another thread but didn't think to put it on this thread too.

Good to hear they're going to goose up the tiki quotient. I liked the motel but was disappointed that the Japanese restaurant on the premises wasn't a sushi restaurant. I see on their website that they've renamed it the Tiki Torch BBQ and Grill - "A taste of Polynesia in the heart of the Okanagan" - but they don't have a menu online. Did you check it out T'ville?

Well it's definatly "in the process" as far as I'm concerned but I did get a coupon for 10 dollars off my breakfest ( really ,a free breakfest)so I'm not complaining .
Standred fare nothing exotic that I can recall, reasonably prompt service goes along way with me .
It was raining so I never made it to the patio and thats too bad a warm day would have made for a more enriching experience.lol

Pick up this postcard for the Tiki Village Motor Inn in Vernon B.C. today...

cool older sign...

outriggers above the rooms..

tikis on the building to the right..

and a room with the Witco tiki lamp on the dresser.

The back mentions a Tiki Room-for conventions, meetings, recreation, sample room.(?)

aloha, tikicoma

[ Edited by: tikicoma 2012-07-15 00:01 ]

Thanks for posting, Tikicoma. I wonder when the pictures were taken. Very cool old sign.

That postcard is a great addition to this thread. This temple has survived pretty well considering the devastation others have faced.

That's awesome the place still has Witco lamps in the rooms. If I walked into a old tiki motel and found a Witco tiki lamp I think I would fall over.

Great find Tikicoma. Never seen that one before. Love that sign.

DC

Some updated pictures of the property from their website: http://www.tikivillagevernon.com

Pages: 1 12 replies