Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Chin Tiki, Detroit, MI (restaurant)

Pages: 1 2 83 replies

T

It's kind of harsh to see it like that isn't it? The building itself actually looks like it wasn't too bad. Just in the wrong area. I have heard this area of Detroit has not been the same for many years.

I guess that being said, I wonder what the point was? If it was closed for so long, why did they destroy it? I wouldn't think anything in that area would be built especially on this bit of land. Does someone know if the land actually sold and if there is a plan? I guess it really doesn't matter, just curious.

I agree with Tipsy when he says focus on what can be saved. It's too bad for Chub who obviously wanted to do something about it and did try. It always sucks when another palace falls but let's save the ones we have! Keep supporting your local bars and when you go on a vacation or travel, make sure you visit the ones on your trip! Actually....who the hell am I preaching too?? You all know that don't you?!!!

They do that around here too with old buildings. Knock them down flat, say they are building something and then leave the property empty for years and then it grows over. Well, that's the way it goes.

Good thing there are so many photos, a few scenes in a movie and good old Tiki Central to help the memories survive!!!!
Long Live TC!!

very sad,
snif snif.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

incidentally i heard that it's going to be a parking lot for the nearby stadium....it was bought by them a year or 2 ago......

(the following is sarcasm)

...because let's face it, there aren't many abandoned buildings in that area to tear down and use for parking......better to tear down the only building in the area that could have shown promise of a rebirth......

I say just turn all of downtown detroit into one big parking lot for the midwest.......we can leave our cars and commute to our jobs in the surrounding states.....

C
Chub posted on Wed, Mar 11, 2009 12:50 AM

I really like this shot:

Went to Chin Tiki in Detroit on Saturday morning at 8am to take photos and rummage around. Found some lava rock and took some souvenir bricks. This is all that was left. Now it is gone as they started hauling the junk away on Sunday.

M

I get bummed every time I see those demo pics.

Here is a nice old ashtray from Chin Tiki.

DC

On 2009-03-10 15:00, thejab wrote:
A Detroit friend was looking in the rubble and found some Chin Tiki postcards!

Here's a little pick from the Chin Tiki.

DC

I scored a nice coaster from the Chin Tiki that advertises all the different rooms they had in the restaurant.

Funny spelling of Mona Lua!

DC

I came across this old phone book ad for the Chin Tiki on a Detroit blog.

It has a nice graphics of a mystery bowl being served and shows the hostess with an old menu.

DC

Why would someone place the phone number over the tiki's eyes!

DC, here the great photo that that rendering was taken from:

See it (a bit repaired) in Tiki Modern, page 272
You can play "What's missing in this picture" :)

The Puffer Fish! :D

A

What's missing in that picture is ME!!!

I should be there. Right now.

C'mon, just this one time, someone lend me their time machine. The nice thing about borrowing a time machine is that it doesn't matter how late you are returning it.

-Randy

G

On 2011-04-14 13:02, aquarj wrote:
The nice thing about borrowing a time machine is that it doesn't matter how late you are returning it.

Hah! I'm with you Randy. I want to go to there...

I like the cleaned up pic Sven, but shame it had to be so small. Bigger is better, so I'll take the damaged goods. :D (PS - You need an iPad version of the BOT with touchable images for their full size glory. Oh, and virtual tours of long lost Tiki temples. In 3D.)

G

On 2009-03-06 15:57, bigbrotiki wrote:

By the way, see that Chinese-looking mask on the wall? It's right here :down:

Sorry for the awful cell phone pic. But it looks like your image is reversed? Otherwise, it's the same one. Although I would much rather have the panel carving to the left. :D

Here is a great old photo from the Chin Tiki that sold on ebay a little while back.

Am I correct in assuming that the dapper gentleman is Marvin Chin?

DC

C
Chub posted on Sun, Oct 2, 2011 11:06 AM

You are correct sir.

Yup, a young Marvin, and he is sitting on the entrance bridge to the bar, which was still in its sleeping beauty slumber when I photographed the place in 2006:

...only the plastic plant jungle had become twisted in dusty disarray.

Three colors of the large swizzle/pics from the Chin Tiki.

DC

The website society6.com has some cool Chin Tiki pillows, hoodies, iPhone cases, stretched canvas, etc you can buy.
I like the faded brick wall mural that they used.

http://society6.com/fotogink/Chin-Tiki-Wall_Hoody#7=95&8=36

Another menu type from the Chin Tiki.

And this cool banner sign is for sale on ebay.

DC

Hi there, Can anyone confirm that the building is still standing and has some of the exterior decor? we are headed to that area, and will swing by if there is something to see, otherwise we may just go to Livonia.

Thoughts?

Sorry Inky,

It's gone but Chin's in Livonia, MI is still there.

On 2009-03-08 13:32, Chub wrote:
These pics just in from http://fadeddetroit.blogspot.com

On 2013-05-31 08:53, Bora Boris wrote:
Sorry Inky,

It's gone but Chin's in Livonia, MI is still there.

On 2009-03-08 13:32, Chub wrote:
These pics just in from http://fadeddetroit.blogspot.com

Chin's in Livonia took over quite a bit of Chin Tiki's decor, and is worth a visit for sure.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=4850&forum=2&start=0

Some pics from my Chin Tiki archive:

(Marvin Chin, from his book on billiard technique)

It's been 33 years since this light has been in regular service...

C
Chub posted on Wed, Nov 6, 2013 8:58 PM

In 1976 it was still looking great...

I wanna see close ups of the photos in the showcases on the left :)

C
Chub posted on Wed, Nov 6, 2013 11:44 PM

I'll see what I can do.

Found some photos and a story about the Chin Tiki on-line. This Detroit blogger saw a White Cadillac parked in front of open doors at the Chin Tiki.

He went to the door and hollered and Marvin Chin and his son Marlin answered. The were let in and took these photos of the ruins.

The talked for a while as Marvin was trying to organize the place.

Found a few more old Chin Tiki photos on-line.

What a classic.

DC

Dusty did the blogger say when this happened? And does anyone know what happened to the, I guess, tiles that were on the back bar? The thought of this place sitting like a lost Dutchmans mine, mothballed for how long, makes me want to go back in time to climb in through a window.

A nice article with a list of the design elements from the Chin Tiki.

And an old ad from 1967.

DC

Found a couple more photos of the Chin Tiki.

The entrance with the canopy and a good look at the wall panels.

The entrance bridge and Tiki.

DC

Pages: 1 2 83 replies