Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Disneyland's other Tikis...

Pages: 1 13 replies

Found this in a 1967 Disneyland guidebook - the long lost Adventureland Shooting Gallery had some Tikis in it. My dad used to be a graveyard shift janitor there in the 60s - he said every night they had to re-paint this thing, because of the thousands of little pellets hitting this stuff every day....

On 2002-11-13 11:24, Tangaroa wrote:
he said every night they had to re-paint this thing, because of the thousands of little pellets hitting this stuff every day....

At least he didn't have to paint in the day time

Pop..ouch! Damn it. Pop..ouch! Damn it .

Chongolio

[ Edited by: Chongolio on 2002-11-13 12:19 ]

You know...those pics look great, and it's a real shame that something like that is gone. :( I wonder what the reasoning was behind the Adventureland Shooting Gallery's demise...any ideas?

The artwork is phenominal...so groovy. :)

They pretty much got tired of paying people to re-paint the thing every night.

Steve

On 2002-11-15 08:17, Tikitackett wrote:
You know...those pics look great, and it's a real shame that something like that is gone. :( I wonder what the reasoning was behind the Adventureland Shooting Gallery's demise...any ideas?

The artwork is phenominal...so groovy. :)

[ Edited by: Steve Kapu on 2002-11-15 09:03 ]

As much as I love tiki being displayed whenever and wherever possible, I find it somehow disturbing that people were shooting at tiki! (I never thought of myself as a gun-control freak?).

I wonder what the reasoning was behind the
Adventureland Shooting Gallery's demise...
any ideas?

Come on man, this was an attraction that encouraged CHILDREN to shoot GUNS!

OF COURSE it's history!

:-/

I was just at Disneyland yesterday, and noticed a couple puffer fish lights hanging over Adventureland. And it looked like they had repainted a lot of the tikis in the lanai of the Tiki Room.

Next time I need to bring in some airline bottles of Black Seal and 151 to mix with the pineapple ice cream.

Well the kids are still shooting them over in Frontierland.So whats up with that?

Maui I was there for Halloween and I saw the puffer fish too! I just assumed that they had always been there and I'm just not as observant as I always thought I was! I thought they looked a little hammered, they don't seem like they are the sort of thing that should be kept outside in the elements. I thought it was cool either way!

There's NO ROOM in Adventureland, that's why. As cool as Adventreland is, it's just way too small. Be there when Fantasmic finishes, or during the summer... and the crowds there are just crazy. The new treehouse entrance didn't help either.

From that standpoint I think stores make Disney more money than shooting galleries, so perhaps they converted it into a store. Or the Bangel Barbecue.

Tangaroa, where was the shooting gallery located?

Hanford

D

The Frontierland Shooting Gallery opened in July 1957. September 1984 it was closed, the last of the "real bullet" galleries. It was replaced the following March with an all new Frontierland Shooting Gallery, renamed the Frontierland Shootin' Exposition, they use infrared weapons, digital sound effects, and still has cooky animation, eliminating not only the hazardous lead shot and lead dust, but the nightly repainting. It's next to Big Thunder Mountain.

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2002-11-17 16:24 ]

Right Dawn, but was that the same shooting gallery as the Adventureland gallery? I was assuming not, since it wouldn't make much sense to have the Adventureland shooting gallery located in Frontierland.

Hanford

D

I found this on line, I can't remember where any of this was though. The Davy Crockett Arcade was also in Frontierland, the the name was changed to Davy Crockett Frontier Arcade in 1985, but by 1987 it had been renamed Davy Crockett's Pioneer Mercantile. The Safari Shooting Gallery in Adventureland opened in June 1962. I think it was across from the Jungle Boat ride??? I am sure Tangaroa can find out more accurate info. My guess is Hanford's right about these spots, I bet they are now filled with t-shirts, stuffed Mickey Mouse doll's wearing pith helmets and rubber snakes :D

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2002-11-17 17:01 ]

On 2002-11-17 16:11, hanford_lemoore wrote:

Tangaroa, where was the shooting gallery located?

Hanford

From my hazy memory - the Adventureland arcade was located roughly inbetween the cantina & the Bazaar directly across from the Jungle Cruise dock... Wish I had more info than that!

Pages: 1 13 replies