Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Who will go to Hukilau 2006? I will!

Pages: 1 2 3 134 replies

All right!!! Tiki Bob is back!!! Can't wait to hang with you Bob.

It's been too long!!

We won't talk about the last time we were all in Florida!! shhhhhhh!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

I admit it was looking like I wasn't going to make it, but I'm definately in. Whew!

On 2006-08-24 21:44, tikibob wrote:

Unless something really weird comes up, I will be at Hukilau this year!

TB

Like...someone pokes their eye out with a plastic lobster???

Arrrr!!!

I'll be there! My first Hukilau, I can't wait!

T

Swanky, I remember us meeting that night at the first Hukilau like it was yesterday. I like the way The Hukilau has grown but the intimacy of that first one was great. I recently emailed Christie and Otto with similar comments.

I also remember Sven, King and I hanging out most of the weekend. Watching the two of them brutally pick at each other was an entertainment event in itself. And it kept them busy so they didn’t pick on me!

Do you remember that there were about 12 or so of us that had dinner at Trader Vic's that second night before all the festivities started? What a connection I felt.

Pablus, I don’t think I have seen you since Brad opened his place in Augusta. Or maybe it was Hukilau 2004. I will look forward to seeing you. King and I first met either at the closing of the Kahiki in Columbus, Ohio (which is were Jeff and I first met – if I remember correctly).

And Jeff, what can I say, can’t wait to see your lecture on Exotica music. I will be the one in the back asking inane questions like, “What color shirt did Arthur Lyman wear when he recorded Yellow Bird?” or “What kind of car did Martin Denny drive when he played the San Diego Auditorium?” So get ready!

I am going to be coming in on Wednesday and staying until Monday. I am certainly up for any get togethers (translation: Day trip shenanigans) while there so anyone can give me a call. My cell is 843.514.5565 so lock and load.

Ben, looking forward to seeing you and I am going to have to locate ome lobsters for the trip! After all, it is my musical specialty.

And a shout out to Crazy Al ! ! ! Where is that picture of the Hulilau II Piggy back ride?

TB

S

I will be bringing my collection of vintage island slides to show over the weekend. Probably show them late at night in whatever room everyone is hanging out in. Just look for Pablus. We'll hang a sheet if we can't find a white wall to show them on.

Tiki Bob, I have a side trip in mind, but it would be better suited to taking from Daytona if you should come down for the Hawaiian Inn this year. And if I can make it myself!

So, I will have a Kodak slide projector with me if anyone else has slides they would like to share. You bring your trays and I'll lug the projector.

Already STUPID giddy with excitement here! Found a cheap plane ticket, got my Big Kahunette Pass, Mai Kai 1st dinner reservation, rooming with a darling friend of Heelgrinder, and staying at the Cabana Thursday thru Monday. Planning a Monday day at the beach, the way Mean Gene, Pearly Shells and I did last year. (Anybody, join me for that!) 8:00 PM flight out. I mean, baby, I am planning on milking Hukilau fun DRY. And this year, I don't have to be all nervous about/non-drinking for the Drasnin thing! Now all I gotta do is diet my fat ass back into the dresses I was planning on wearing, dammit....

Tikibob, it has been WAY too long since you and I have made the same event!
For that matter, it's been too long since seeing ANY of you!!

hasta pronto!
Formikahini

On 2006-08-29 10:07, Swanky wrote:
I will be bringing my collection of vintage island slides to show over the weekend. Probably show them late at night in whatever room everyone is hanging out in. Just look for Pablus. We'll hang a sheet if we can't find a white wall to show them on.

Tiki Bob, I have a side trip in mind, but it would be better suited to taking from Daytona if you should come down for the Hawaiian Inn this year. And if I can make it myself!

So, I will have a Kodak slide projector with me if anyone else has slides they would like to share. You bring your trays and I'll lug the projector.

I have an entire tray of Korla Pandit slides from his estate!!!!!!!!!

These have never been seen by anyone outside his immediate family I presume. This could be fun to watch eh?

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

T

Here's my little road trip plan. I'm flying into Tampa Bay on September 30th to visit Pablus and the holy grail of steakhouses, Bern's of Tampa.

On Monday and Tuesday I'm driving the Tamiami Trail (U.S. 41) through Ft. Myers, Naples, and the Everglades to Miami. On Tuesday and Wednesday I'm staying with Unga Bunga in Miami Beach, to do a little research on the local bikini fashions for a article I'm writing for Modern Cad magazine (in case someone decides to publish such a magazine). On Thursday we're going to Fort Lauderdale for Hukilau! I'm staying at the Cabana.

Aloha, and see you in F-L-A!

http://www.bernssteakhouse.com/bs_frame.htm

S

On 2006-08-30 15:06, thejab wrote:
Here's my little road trip plan. I'm flying into Tampa Bay on September 30th to visit Pablus and the holy grail of steakhouses, Bern's of Tampa.

You couldn't start your Hukilau trip any better than a bit of time with Pablus and the Amber Love Goddess in their Lagoon Lounge. Makes me want to go there first myself...

S

I have an entire tray of Korla Pandit slides from his estate!!!!!!!!!

These have never been seen by anyone outside his immediate family I presume. This could be fun to watch eh?

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Yes! I had to look up who he was HERE. Let the mysteries of his slide tray be revealed!

I'll bring an empty tray along for any other images that may show up.

P

I'm making reservations tomorrow with a long time friend who is one of the top waiters at Bern's.
(My brother in law used to be one of the top dogs there years ago.)

If anyone would like to join us - you'd better PM me now.
Otherwise it will be thejab, myself and Anela Linei.

As an interesting sidenote with ties to Hukilau...

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=5542&forum=1&hilite=Mai%20Kai%20vibes

This wine collection was purchased as a part of a larger lot that started the famous collection of Bern Laxler, the founder of Berns Steakhouse. He and Jim Walter split the wines and Bern started Berns with his half. Berns' collection is the largest collection in the world (that is available to see and purchase).

So, last week, I drove with Palm Farmer Johnny to the Mai Kai to do some music with King Kukulele during the pre-Hukilau press party and Johnny brought a bottle of 1959 from the same collection that had the Mai Kai label on it. That guy always has something up his sleeve. He got so buzzed on the house red that we never opened it, so it sits upon Kern's desk waiting for us to open along with KokaNut's Mai Kai bottle of '63 that he left there 2 years ago.

As a further aside, KK and I were swimming around in the ultra calm Atlantic the next morning and suddenly the King laughs nervously and says "uhhh... a whale...." I looked and about 14 inches from my leg was a giant black shape moving through the water slowly. It was 12 feet long at least. As we backed toward the shore I saw the paddle-like tail and realized that this was 3 Manatees coming over to say hello. Fun stuff.

I told the Manatees about Hukilau and the mom said the kids were too young and then she bit King Kukulele in half.
We sewed him up with uke strings and got him to his plane on time.

More next time on TALES OF THE HUKILAU!!!!

T

On 2006-08-30 15:06, thejab wrote:
to do a little research on the local bikini fashions

Huuummmmm. I always preferred the "fashions" of Haulover Beach, but I don't think you will see much bikini action there.

Swank - I really NEED to make it to the INN this year. Let's make a date for that side trip.

And I am looking forward to seeing you too, Formica!

TB

T

I found this funny from the first Hukilau. That is me riding on Crazy Al's back.

Note the Bamboo Ben sticker carefully positioned along Al's rear.

As the MasterCard folks say . . . . . priceless.

A
aquarj posted on Mon, Sep 4, 2006 9:59 PM

We're going! First time to the Mai Kai. I'm not sure how it happened, but we ended up with a large group coming, at least for the Mai Kai part. Even a couple relatives from Denmark will be there.

-Randy

H

Randy, that's fantastic! There's going to be quite a cast of characters at this year's Hukilau.

tikibob, it will be so great to see you again! We were at Walt Disney World a few weeks ago, and I thought of you and our trip there together many times.

Roommate question:

Anyone need a bed/a roommate at the Cabana for Sunday night?

Get the wisecracks outta yer system before answering, naughty boys.

My roomie, who is leaving Sunday, will therefore not be staying there that night, and I'd just as soon share a room than not. (That's $50 more bucks for merch and Mai Kai cocktails!).

If you are in the same position (and preferably if you're not a complete stranger to me), let me know via PM. I can move my stuff to your room or you and yours to mine. (Since I'll have a HELLuvalotta crap, I'd prefer the latter, natch!)

We'd need to let the hotel know ASAP so as to free up the room for others and not to be charged for that night.

F

T

I have an extra room at the Bahia Cabana with one King bed for Thursday through Sunday night if anyone needs one. Let me know if you want it and I'll call the hotel and cancel my reservation. It's a non-smoking room (or so they say).

I'm sharing Unga Bunga's room so I no longer need mine.

[i]On 2006-09-11 16:07, thejab wrote:[/i

This should be interesting!!!

On 2006-09-11 21:35, RevBambooBen wrote:

[i]On 2006-09-11 16:07, thejab wrote:[/i

This should be interesting!!!

Don't worry Ben, you're involved too.
But if you want to stick a Bamboo Ben sticker on my ass, it's gonna cost you extra.

HL

Jab,

Sent you a PM

T

Well, rumor has it that a couple of old friends might be joining us for the festivities (especially associated with the APE performance).

I won't say much but will post these pictures:

Overheard by one of the above, "The last time we 'got together' I got SUCH a headache!"

Ooooooooooooooooooooo. I know someone will be very excited.

TB

[ Edited by: tikibob 2006-09-27 10:02 ]

[ Edited by: tikibob 2006-09-27 10:06 ]

On 2006-09-27 10:01, tikibob wrote:
Well, rumor has it that a couple of old friends might be joining us for the festivities (especially associated with the APE performance).

I won't say much but will post these pictures:

Overheard by one of the above, "The last time we 'got together' I got SUCH a headache!"

Ooooooooooooooooooooo. I know someone will be very excited.

TB

[ Edited by: tikibob 2006-09-27 10:02 ]

[ Edited by: tikibob 2006-09-27 10:06 ]

TB!!!

Do you do "Off Site"

Eyeball exams??

We'll bring the rum...................

You bring the tools!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arrrrrr!!rrrrrrrrr!!rrrrrrr!!

MAI KAI 50th!!!

S

I don't mean to cut in on this conversation but there are only 7 days left to go!!!

Things weren't looking good for me. I never bought a ticket, wasn't checking the Hukilau site... I bought a plane ticket a few weeks ago (in early Sat am, out early Sun am... I'll be the guy who looks very confused!). Found out it's totally sold-out (um... duh!). Yesterday, a store owner who sells Tiki Farm in Sarasota called & asked me if I knew anybody who needed an extra ticket?!? YES, ME!!! See you there!
Holden

Bags are packed and ready to go. Just a few more days.
LETS GO APE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait. YAY!!!!!
Mai Kai - 50th year.

OKONKULUKU....Not sure if I remember the hand shake from last year. Might need a refresher course. :)

Aloha Friends!

Rooms booked, car rented and Flight Confirmed!

See y'all soon...Look out for the Drunk sailors stumbling around the general vacinity and please direct them to the closest bar.

Mahalo Nui Loa!

Moi-

Make sure you have a nice sign pinned to you, saying which bar to return you to, in case you're passed out....

:wink:
~T

HC

I postponed a knee operation to attend.......so i'll be one of those fine folk leaning on a shoulder for support pretending to be drunk !!....just hope I don't start singing !

massage,humility,humor,storage space,cotton sheets and the ability to tread water.....yeah ,that'll do..... for now .......

[ Edited by: Hula Cat 2006-10-03 05:41 ]

Basement Kahuna-over and out; Hukilau or Bust! Have a safe trip, friends. See you there!

M

Aloha Guys,

I am all fired up. I just spontaneously booked a flight to Florida. Can't miss the Hukilau. Can't miss Maikai's 50ths. I look forward to do a few more interviews for my DVD that I found were missing during editing. Yes - The sad news: The DVD is not ready yet. And I hope that the Ohana will not eat me for dinner cooking me in a big stewing pot and forgive me for taking so long. It is more work and more complicated than I expected. Financing, dealing with legal issues like rights etc. …dealing with life. First I got a baby and now my editor got one. Haha. But it will be finished…

But this time I am aiming for 20% filming and 80% partying. It's just in your interest. More filming means more editing. Endless editing.

Look forward to see you guys.

O

On 2006-10-03 13:59, Mogambo wrote:

But this time I am aiming for 20% filming and 80% partying. It's just in your interest. More filming means more editing. Endless editing.

Wish I could say the same, in my case it'll prolly be 80% filming and 20% partying. I'll see you Wednesday at the Mai-Kai... I'll be the other one with a camera stuck to my face!

Aloha!

I'm just goin for stills so minimal shooting on my part - you guys can go for it video wise.

At least there will be a full moon!
c u there friday

M

otikiniko, if you feel like your 20% partying is too half-assed. I am ready to take over and share it for my half-assed 20% of filming. So each of us can do something a 100%.

Does anyone know if Charlie Bodden is coming to the Hukilau? I only have an old email adress and cannot reach him.

Gotta get to sleep...

Pulling out of here at 3 am for the drive to Fort Lauderdale... overnight in Atlanta... Thursday evening... Poolside at the Cabana!

Safe travels everyone... see you on Thursday!

O

On 2006-10-03 16:19, Mogambo wrote:
otikiniko, if you feel like your 20% partying is too half-assed. I am ready to take over and share it for my half-assed 20% of filming. So each of us can do something a 100%.

I may seriously take you up on this... we can discuss details in the Molokai tomorrow, er later tonight! (it's after midnight)

On 2006-10-03 16:05, sneakyjack wrote:
I'm just goin for stills so minimal shooting on my part - you guys can go for it video wise.

You say that now... but we'll see if we can't get ya all "camera'd up" after a few Mai Tais!

I got great news from Kiliki earlier (I'll let her fully divulge) but something very special will be showing in the Wreck bar... I can't wait!

T
thejab posted on Wed, Oct 4, 2006 1:29 PM

the weather's been great! warm, fairly dry, and breezy. perfect beach weather!

On 2006-10-04 13:29, thejab wrote:
the weather's been great! warm, fairly dry, and breezy. perfect beach weather!

That swimsuit looks good on you, El Jabbo!

On 2006-10-03 21:16, otikiniko wrote:

On 2006-10-03 16:19, Mogambo wrote:

I may seriously take you up on this... we can discuss details in the Molokai tomorrow, er later tonight! (it's after midnight)

On 2006-10-03 16:05, sneakyjack wrote:

You say that now... but we'll see if we can't get ya all "camera'd up" after a few Mai Tais!

I got great news from Kiliki earlier (I'll let her fully divulge) but something very special will be showing in the Wreck bar... I can't wait!

I'll probably be shooting stills when I'm not consumed with consuming, and would be happy to help capture the event. We should be arriving around 6:30pm Thursday, checking in, and heading to the bar. :)

-adrian (and Jen, Andy, and Laura)

Pages: 1 2 3 134 replies