Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Tiki Terrace grand opening - week of November 8

Pages: 1 2 57 replies

I was at the Tiki Terrace on Sunday, The decor is the best I have seen in the numerous Tiki bars I have been to. In the midwest there is no ocean or weather to help one out. They have really put a lot of work and talent into the place. I thought the food served at the grand opening (free served banquet style) was certainly good for what it was. I am interested in buying an entre off the regular menue.

I enjoyed my Mai Tais. A pineapple slice would of made it perfect. The bar is close to the stage but you sit with your back to the entertainemnt. Swivle chairs would be a nice addition. Please contact the Kona Brewery and get some kegs of HI beer!!

All in all I had a fun evening at the Terrace. It is definately a place to check out when in the Chicago area. Any chance of open Uke night? That can backfire though. I have seen open mike nights go bad sending patrons fleeing in horror covering their ears.

RR

Gosh Scott I think you did a great job! I was there on Thursday and it was great meeting you. I loved the cozy hut room that we had. No apologies are needed.
Try and find time for some sleep. :)

hey tikibars...any chance of starting up taboo tiki nights at the tiki terrace once a month again?? I know it's sort of a haul outta the city but i don't think you will run into the friction that was happening over at the traders......

On 2005-11-15 09:31, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
hey tikibars...any chance of starting up taboo tiki nights at the tiki terrace once a month again?? I know it's sort of a haul outta the city but i don't think you will run into the friction that was happening over at the traders......

I'd be in for that for sure!
Live carving on stage... :)
JT playing the tunes...
Hula dancers...

It would be fun to get the tiki artists together to bring their work to the public...
Especially with the holiday gift buying season coming up

..precisely!....

I was there on the first night and what a nice getaway it was. I think people giving criticism is the best thing for Tiki Terrace. Being in the restaurant business for 30 years the only way to improve is to know what's wrong. I see so many new places open and service is a huge problem. It is so refreshing to get a great server which does not happen often. I have no idea what it was like the nights that followed, but here are some pointers. I felt the servers could have given more interaction. There was none. The courses should have been introduced instead of me having to grab the menu each time. Dishes and glasses piled up on the table and courses were not served complete to the table sometimes having to wait 10 minutes for everyone at our table to get served. We got to meet Scott when he graciously gave us a ride back to our hotel, but he should have made the rounds right away and introduced himself. I hope this helps and I will be back. Good Luck!

FWIW, I went on Saturday, and those problems (at least with my server) had been cleared up.

The first round of drinks took a while to get to the table, but then I'm a boozer, so I get ancy about stuff like that.

M

On 2005-11-15 09:31, Tipsy McStagger wrote:

Nice one braddah - - -

T

Wow, seems like you guys really want to see the return of TabuTiki nights! I am touched (sniff).

Trader Vic's originally came to me with the idea and asked me to put it together. As you know, it was the Palmer House's new management, not anyone at TVs that sabotaged the event's longevity. Now... If some other new Tiki Bar - say, for instance, one in Prospect Heights - wants to adopt the orphaned TTN, they can ask!
:)

JT

K

Sorry for the delay with the reply... Thanks everyone for the criticism. I know that it is all constructive, and I thank you for your understanding as we work to make this a better tiki bar!

Scott

Pages: 1 2 57 replies