Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

sophista-tiki orignals Dawn Frasier

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 1,256 replies

Dawn~
You are an amazing ARTIST!!!

I have a real problem with using the word "crafter". My ex would often comment on the creations that I would make, saying that I "made crafts", with an obvious air of denigration. It didn't matter it I received money for them or they were gifts so that we paid a fraction of the price for them, no matter how much the recipients valued them. They were "crafts" & therefore "worthless".

I feel your pain.
~kele

T

Dawn, thank you. Thanks for continuing to post your work, absolutely love the style and feeling of it all!

Strangely enough, I had just cut out a room divider form I had once seen in Palm Springs and saw you had something similar on your wall:

Curious if that a piece you created or a vintage one?

Thanks again!

Ano, I thought I had replied to your question earlier but I see its not there,,,, anywayz I made that myself about 10 yrs ago. Been painting for a week or so. had a major alergy attack so I doidnt make my deadline , boo but atleast I have a couple of new pieces.

almost finished

less than almost finished

not even close

matboard folder created for watercolor sketch.

also in todays news one of my designs is featured in lates favorites on Spoonflower http://www.spoonflower.com/fabric/452365

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2013-10-11 15:07 ]

Started on this hand tufted rug yesterday. Its a New Gunea shield design and will be about 8 ft long.

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2013-10-14 12:33 ]

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2013-10-14 12:35 ]

T

Gorgeous pieces. Rugs, too? Can't wait to see it finished- love that your work encompasses a (large) number of different mediums, wow!

Thanks for posting. I'm figuring out which fabric to choose to be used as wall covering- perhaps the Abstractiva, Matuku, or your signature Kukui. Might have to choose a few to highlight different areas... as well as to make some bar seat cushions.

C

I love your work Dawn, all, all , all of it :)

Working on this years christmas line called HAVAIKI HOLIDAY. hand painted and printed cards, gift tags. with matching gift wrap from Spoonlower. Havaiki Holidaqy Globe and Havaiki Holiday Marquesan Shield also available as fabric, decals and wallpaper.

all this yrs designs coordinate with my latest hand bag line

http://www.spoonflower.com/fabric/2513079
http://www.spoonflower.com/fabric/2531272

and as a bonus tidbit, today Kon Klassic in Grape Fizz is featured in Recent trends on Spoonflower. Kon Klassic was designed specifically for Tiki Kon this yr.
http://www.spoonflower.com/profiles/sophista-tiki?sub_action=shop

U 1 busy lady
Lookin good

Jon

Dawn~
HAVAIKI HOLIDAY looks great!
Your talents forever amaze me.
~kele

Im going to try a post , but Om pretty loaded so it the best I cando.
Havaiki Holiday is totally launched. 3 fabric designs so far and 3 card lines.

\all macthes my new handbag line

Those designs are BEAUTIFUL!
~kele

I just posted the links for Havaiki Holiday over in my marketplace thread.

Also Im giving away a Sophista-tiki Togs cocktail party handbag. https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Sophista-tiki/359772630713578
follow the link, Like my page, and add your name to the list UNDER THE PICTURE OF THE BAG. I'll draw a winner when my page gets to 1500.

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2013-11-09 11:20 ]

this evenings project

I wish I could carve that kind of detail into
in to my carvings.
You have a good eye for that.

Both sides cut out, ready to assemble

wow! Dig it!

This years Gift wrap designs HAVAIKI HOLIDAY 2013

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2013-12-14 16:19 ]

Great work
Love your colors

Jon

finally got enough stuff off my plate and out the studio door to sit and paint for the rest of the week. YAY! included in this weeks painting marathon will be my Swap Piece ( not shown)

I'm supposed to be doing a bunch of other stuff but I really only want to do this right now.

Wow that's a crazy amount of work you've done. They look terrific. I'm old enough to remember when this type of work was in everyone's home. I guess now it's retro. It's very nostalgic for me. Wendy

That brown and turquoise rug is going to be wicked. Looking forward to it being finished. It looks huge.

Wendy, not quite sure what you mean, hand tufted carpets arn't really a Retro thing. They still exist and can be found in just about every high design home. Perhaps you are confusing tufting with the cheezy craft project called latch hook.
google angela adams for some great examples of NEW hand tufted rugs.

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2014-01-06 09:05 ]

That looks like a lot of work!!! :o

Hi Dawn you are right. I did confuse what you are doing because now that I think about those the threads were long. Your's is tight with a texture. No matter what yours look wonderful. Wendy

this is only the first part of the process. once all the tufting is done then the backing and edging gets done, then the loops on the front get hand cut . I'm excited about the finished product and so happy I figured out how to do this all on my own. I'll keep posting pics of the process as it goes along through the finished piece. aiming for Modernism Week in Palm Springs next yr with a full line of hand tufted Tiki Modern rugs.. Also working on a big installation exhibit of how I do tiki aesthetic.

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2014-01-06 15:19 ]

T

Gorgeous. I can only imagine how many different designs you can create... phenomenal work.

I love how these look even before you cut the loops- can't wait to see how its look transforms when you cut it.

couple of updates to my rug project.
this is from the back side, showing the hand tufting tool.

getting closer

M

That is really coming together!

T

Love the contrast of the different colors.... Also dig how the color works to create depth (I can have trouble thinking in three dimensions (okay, insert joke here) but clearly you have it down. :)

What is the "base" for the rug, and what material is being "tufted"? Acrylic? Wool? (Maybe dumb questions, I'm not familiar w/ the process- though an old roommate was a dealer of imported rugs.

(No, he really was a "rug dealer"). I better quit this post now....

[ Edited by: TikiAno 2014-01-08 19:18 ]

This one is NOS Rug Crafters Brand pre printed with tapa design that I took a sharpie to and fixed because it was too messy looking. Burlap. the yarn is NOS cotton/rayon blend. super softie.

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2014-01-09 08:28 ]

I've known a few " rug dealers" in my time.

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2014-01-09 09:24 ]

G
GROG posted on Thu, Jan 9, 2014 12:50 AM

Nice wrapping paper.

[ Edited by: GROG 2014-01-09 00:52 ]

Done The line will be called Ruxotica. Tiki modern hand tufted rugs.

Fabulous! - Tiki Modern!

T

Beautiful- almost too nice to be stepped on. That being said, my old friend (the rug dealer) always said that event though rugs are pieces of art, they are meant to be walked on. He really felt that was part of their beauty. He was, admittedly, WAY into rugs.

Dawn, can't wait to see more designs....

T

[ Edited by: TikiAno 2014-01-20 13:13 ]

F
foamy posted on Mon, Jan 20, 2014 8:54 AM

On 2014-01-17 12:41, MaukaHale wrote:
Fabulous! - Tiki Modern!

Indeed.

Dawn, that is a beautiful work of art!

a million yrs later,,,,,
I finally finished my swap piece. I needed to fix one part .
ready to send out in nthe AM

this is the second one of these shirts I've made in the last couple of weeks

getting closer to launching RUGXOTICA line of hand tufted tiki modern rugs

All rug designs will have matching fabrics and interior design quality pillows with envelope construction are being listed in my etsy shop

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2014-02-07 17:54 ]

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2014-02-07 17:55 ]

I think I got all the new fabric designs out of my brain so I can move onto the next thing.

Next is the RUXOTICA logo, then I can finally get back to painting

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2014-03-26 14:01 ]

Love your new fabric prints Dawn!

More new stuff

I needed to make some new cards so I painted a batch of smalls yesterday

Two tiki thumbs up

Jon

T

Love. It. All.

:)

Always delivering with the gorgeous, Dawn.
~Zero

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 1256 replies