Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

sophista-tiki orignals Dawn Frasier

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 1,256 replies

My puter bit it and it took me over a week to Frankenstein it back to life. but IT LIVES! Nothing like a crisis to make you learn how to fix some shit ASAP.
While I was in internet banishment I got a bunch of other stuff done including these new pieces I'm working on.

some watercolors

a decor piece

a tiki modern landscape

some RUGXOTICA- ing

a doodle

and some Yarden

wait I forgot the latest fabric design called Castaway Cloth

Love that Grey Black pink Colorway on the Castaway Cloth,Dawnee!

Also,those two drawings up top
with the stylized Hawaiian Chiefs and peeps
is purty bitchen....

You always seem to blossom in the Springtime!
:)

T

Love the latest fabric... will it be on Spoonflower?

springtime=out of hibernation and into work overdrive.
the fabrics will be on spoonflower, the newest ones can be ordered through me until I release them for public purchase. you can still go to spoonflower and view them look under designs not for sale section.

just finished getting all of my pre Hukilau orders done and out the door totally last minute .

Bamboo purse for Christie

This one has a matching dress but it was a super rush so I didn't get a picture. If it fits her someone will get one at Hukilau.)

this cigar box purse will be available in my etsy shop by the weekend

first shirt from the latest design, castaway cloth. at Hukilau right now

peonies from my yarden

oh and Rufus says hi

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2014-06-12 07:47 ]

RUGXOTICA

been trying to finish up this cigar box purse. almost ready to reassemble

G

On 2014-06-15 13:09, Sophista-tiki wrote:
RUGXOTICA

Holy moly! Are any of these for sale?

yes. I'm not quite ready to launch the product line but you could message me if you want dibs on a design. Pricing will start at $500 for the small sizes and go up to $4000 for larger room size rugs.

finished and sold yesterday

G

On 2014-06-17 09:32, Sophista-tiki wrote:
yes. I'm not quite ready to launch the product line but you could message me if you want dibs on a design. Pricing will start at $500 for the small sizes and go up to $4000 for larger room size rugs.

Argh. Your design skills are incredible. Your Spoonflower fabrics are gorgeous. The rugs are a little out of reach for me right now, but I'll own some of your work soon, one way or another.

my submissions for the Poly hai yearbook

for this years Tiki Oasis theme of Beatnic I'm going Brutalist.
hers the first shirt of the brand new Brutalist fabric I designed . plus the other color ways

On 2014-07-08 19:31, Sophista-tiki wrote:

You definitely live the life of tiki!

Love those Brutalist colors!

My piece for this years Tiki Oasis group show. Beyond Squaresville.

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2014-08-10 20:34 ]

Also finishing up new shirts for Tiki Joes Ocean. opening act Friday evening at Tiki Oasis.

other assorted sewing projects I can barely keep up , but I love that people are wearing my art.

Prize shirt from the drawing on my sophista-tiki FB page

An assortment of new fabrics, some custom order for a special project.

My first cabana set

The cabana set will be seen at Tiki Oasis with its matching dress and hand bag. A complete his and hers ensemble.

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2014-08-10 20:59 ]

In other news I've been working on my house this summer. finishing up some projects I've been neglecting. like the deck. I'm also working on a kitchen , bath and bedroom redo in the Bamboo Grove of Westwood ( the apt downstairs in my house)

In completely unrelated tiki news,,, I did tear down someones garage with a hammer and a pry bar in 3 days. It was a very satisfying job.

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2014-08-10 21:24 ]

I got stickers

Cool sticker Dawn! Though I enlarged it and I still can't find the space needle. :wink:

I think I designed my logo about 10 yrs ago before I started space needdling it up everywhere.

Polynesian Park pen and ink drawings.

visitors center
SOLD

Park Shelter
SOLD

Club House

Caretakers Shack

All pen and ink drawings produced over the weekend are for fundraising for RUGXOTICA. I need a big financial push to get the rest of the supplies I need to finish the first batch of rugs

I just finished backing edging and trimming the first RUGXOTICA rug. This was my technique learning piece so its for me.

This piece will be finished next and will be the first RUGXOTICA rug offered for sale. its 3' x 5' NOS cotton rayon.

This will be the biggest RUGXOTICA piece I've attempted so far its 7' x 5'
it will be a tapa design in these colors. NOS cotton rayon

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2014-09-27 18:42 ]

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2014-09-28 05:44 ]

K

Chirp chirp chirp chirp chirp. That's cricket for, "I like all the stuff that you do, BIG time."

All of the work you've put into the Rugxotica project is turning out beautifully, Dawn. The pen & ink pieces are great, as well.

Everything looks fabulous...those rugs rock!!!

T

Dawn, I really dig the drawings! But looking at all the black and white I thought "coloring books"! In your spare time why don't you put one together. But seriously has anyone done a coloring book? How long does it take to make one of those rugs it looks labor intensive and how can you bare to part with the blue and brown tapa rug, it looks amazing in your room!

Seeing your work makes me want to play you a song!

aloha, tikicoma

H

On 2014-09-27 21:35, tikicoma wrote:
... But seriously has anyone done a coloring book? ...

Why yes! Ken Ruzic has had more than one available:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=26185&forum=12

But there's always room for more. One from Dawn would be a perfect addition!

Dawn, your work is incredible, and I love the diversity in all of it.

I hope sales are good for you, if not people are fools.

I saw your "cricket" post on Facebook and thought I'd give you some support here. :)

I just posted up some work of my own here again... and I'm ready for "crickets" myself.

Someone just posted on Fb that TC isn't mobile friendly and another one couldn't figure out how to leave a comment. Maybe thats part of the problem. My life doesn't revolve around a phone so I forget thats kinda the root of modern stupidity.
as for coloring book, been done a million times. no need to run around copying everyone else. I prefer the very old school pen and ink drawings.

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2014-09-28 02:07 ]

That cabana stuff is great - as is the rest, but that cabana set - too good

RUGXOTICA may be perhaps the most unique and labor intensive new tiki stuff I have seen. Fantastic work Dawn I think you have created your own tiki sub genre. The crickets (and tigers) approve. :wink:

Thanks for livening up things for me you guys Totally appreciate your cricket chirps. The cabana set! was a big hit at oasis this year. It was my FIRST one.

A couple of weeks of job limbo, a funeral, and bottomless Cobras Fangs on International Exotic Cocktail Day resulting in extended brain fog have successfully transitioned my world into hibernating studio season.
I'm already formulating the Holiday Season Plan. This year all works will be presented as a solo show called

A TIKI MODERN COLLECTION

in the meantime heres a couple more pen and ink pieces I just finished

Mystic Order of Mu Lodge House
pen and ink on paper
9" x 12"

Polynesian Park, Guest cabin A
pen and ink on paper
9" x 12"

Also heres the latest RUGXOTICA piece in progress

Also ALSO,

I just got a couple yards of this fabric for the cushions on one of my rattan sets

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2014-10-17 09:53 ]

T

Dawn, love the new pen and ink pieces. Look forward to seeing updates on the Rugxotica art! Thanks for posting and great reading/ viewing updates!

a fresh Canlis Seattle drawing. I've done this piece before as a painting but never as a pen and ink.

some progress on a couple of things

no time right now for extended explanations. Im out the door.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2015-10-26 09:52 ]

T

Dawn, love the latest pieces. Can't wait to see the latest Rugxotica piece- wow!

R

Dawn - Yes, the rugs are really great!

I'm working on stuff i swear. Not making any new stuff for the holidays too much going on and plenty of existing inventory to be rediscovered. I always find it interesting how a piece will get no attention when its fresh and then 2 yrs later suddenly its sliced bread.
The big project I cant share yet
the other big project I can't share yet
ugh
After yrs of requests I finally got around to ties,
Its called Castaway Cravats, for the dapper Primitive, ties, ascots, and pocket squares.
launched today with just the ties. Its as far as i could get my kitty just died.

I'll be working on my swap piece soon.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=894063283951174&id=359772630713578

Woody has left the building.
Obituary.
Little Heywood Wakefield maker of fine mid century cat furnishings expired about 5:50 this evening. He is survived by his goldfish Orange Otis, his dog, Rufus, and 2 people. Preceded by his 2 older hand -me- down felines Tommy Womerton and Bongo ( formerly known as Toonses the Driving Cat.) Services will be held in the backyard behind the pond tomorrow as soon as somebody digs the hole. I feel bad for yelling at you about walking on my art with wet paws. May your bowl be always heaped with kitty crunchies and may you always have tuna juice for slurping. Bye fur face.

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2014-12-08 04:08 ]

Sorry about Woody.....

working on the Castaway Cravats packaging prototype

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2014-12-11 16:32 ]

Very nice, I like the way the color pops on the sail. Wendy

Cool! I like the ties and the box is a a real nice touch that you don't see much anymore. A real throwback to classic 40's-60's package design.

aloha, tikicoma

R

I just love the tie idea.

Finalizing my package design. just need to find the font I have in mind.

seems like I'm working night and day in the studio but I still don't have paintings to show. The Castaway Cravats have taken over. Adding the Ascots in 2 styles The Fred and The Thrurson. I'm massively building up inventory for wholesale orders and to prep for this seasons events in case someone wants to have them in their booth for vending. The good thing about all this is that they are funding RUGXOTICA. I'm also working on prototyping my new jewelry line ( not yet named. Hope to be launched by Hukilau.
anNNNnd one house project / day. which is awesome I'm so excited for the new built in record cabinet and new sparkly black counter tops.
I still have 3 major projects in que I can't talk about yet. but you'll see soon enough.

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2015-01-18 18:09 ]

C
cy posted on Sun, Jan 18, 2015 7:43 PM

I'm starting to think I might look good in a tie!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 1256 replies