Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

sophista-tiki orignals Dawn Frasier

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 1,256 replies

B

Dawn, Thanks for showing your progress. I'm really liking what your up to lately...It must be sunny up north? This work makes me happy :)

first watercolor sketch of this one. Seattle Worlds Fair concept rendering . this will make a great painting when I work out the perspective and flip it to portrait so I can get all of the Space Needle in the painting.

The World's Fair painting is absolutely gorgeous! It's an absolutely unique idea. TKO work!

progress pic

Im going to oasis Im going to oasis Im going to Oasis Im going to Oasis Im going to Oasis

R

:lol: Dawn yer so silly!

I'm stoked you'll be at Oasis tho! :D

On 2009-03-24 13:00, Sophista-tiki wrote:

I really love this! :)

this ones finished

16" x 20" watercolor and ink on hot-press rag board
this ones sold

congratulations!! and thanks
Ine been researching and sketching currently there are 10 waiting to be painted. some more 62 worlds fair pieces and I just started on a few interpretations of the Coco Palms before and after Iniki.

beautiful pieces! they remind me of vintage travel art...fantastic! love the muted tones and overall palette!

[ Edited by: suburbanpagan 2009-04-03 17:11 ]

thanks suburban P Im totally gpoing for that vintage architectural rendering look.new pics soon. and be prepared for a raffle!

you're nailing it! I'll keep my eyes peeled!

Beautiful work Dawn!

some space needles
watercolor and ink sketches Seattle worlds fair '62

So cool, the contrast between the centuries-old polynesian style and the futuristic Space Needle. I was alive in '62 but not old enough to remember the Fair so I had to go and look it up - quite a show. (And one of the rare World's Fairs to turn a profit) JFK was supposed to attend closing ceremonies but was instead dealing with the Cuban Missile Crisis

Here's a photo of the building in your painting - your rendition looks better, classier :)

Space Needles!

Way to go....
slowpoke!
:lol:

Oasis!

sketchy sketchier sketchiest. new Archi-tiki-tectural watercolor sketches

Archi-tiki-tectural watercolor skethes will be available for ssale in my booth at tiki oasis

Thanks Dawn for the wonderful painting - I swear I'll get a pic of it soon! I've had something cookin' but will come through.

You're adapting quickly to your arch-tiki-tectural work - I LOVE this new stuff.

Nice new stuff, Dawn~! You're just churning it out left & right. But save some energy for frames!!! :)

slowpoke.....

:)

Ruzics the hare and Im the turtle. I will get there, eventually! Im painting on 7 pieces right now. a few MCM buildings in the watercolor sketch series. then Im starting on my pieces for Hukilau. then I gotta tear off my deck, rebuild it, dig out the driveway and build a new gate rebuild my bamboo fence,( wind storm trashed it) then I have to paint a mural in my hood, paint for my show at Area 51,and build my booth for vending at Oasis. SO SHUT UP DOOD! you wouldnt last 5 minutes doing the amount of work I do.

SHUT UP DOOD! you wouldnt last 5 minutes doing the amount of work I do.

So this is how Ken gets trounced.... OUCH!!

FINALLY - my original Dawn "Kicked Ken's Ass" Frasier art is on the wall in my hallway gallery, along with my beloved Fossil tin collection.

I was gonna put it in the bedroom, but Ken's paintings are in there and I'm afraid it would tear them up!!

The painting is beyond awesome, Dawn. Absolutely gorgeous. When we put it in this spot, it was as if that section of wall has been waiting 9 years for this painting to go there. The whole living room is trimmed in black, so the frame is perfect.

Ignore the brass box - that's a 1950's doorbell.

cool, thanks Robb it looks great!. Ken and I are just razzing each other. We're getting ready for Oasis. Im sure when we actually meet in person its gonna be all hugs and kisses, followerd by a round of poo throwing!. Im hoping to post 10 new pieces this evening, then its onto finishing up my paintings for Hukilau

Just finished these architectural pieces for my show at Area 51 in Seattle. Watercolor and ink sketches on paper 12" x 18". These will make great paintings. Still have a bit of persoective perfecting to do and I'd like a more dramatic washy watercolor sky, but not bad for first efforts.

Great looking one with the mosaic!
Wish i didn't have a dayjob
then you would be even farther behind!
saving you a big hug at oasis!
then poo-log throwing!

POO!

Damn nice new stuff Dawn, it's like a new era in your career.

I can relate too much to all the house and yard work you have to do. Sure cuts down what we can produce.

three different versions of the same place and one of some place else

and this one of the Coco Palms just sold THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

On 2009-04-27 10:30, Sophista-tiki wrote:
Just finished these architectural pieces for my show at Area 51 in Seattle. Watercolor and ink sketches on paper 12" x 18". These will make great paintings. Still have a bit of persoective perfecting to do and I'd like a more dramatic washy watercolor sky, but not bad for first efforts.

Wow, can I move into one of these ?

Awesome.

Really nice stuff, Sophista-Tiki and unique point of view! I really like the ones of the beach scene, although your architectural paintings are really cool!
Looking forward to seeing them and meeting you at Oasis!

three new house in the neighborhood

B

DANG! You are really going great guns on your new stuff! Congrats on the sales and shows! I'm really bummed I'm out of work right now 'cause I can't buy ANYthing! :( Looking forward to my few pieces of yours appreciating in value! LOL

What the haps? Oh snaps how the chaps wanna house like thats!

Hi Dawn, really beautiful work. I love the colors. I was thinking--your artwork would really lend itself to 3D. Kind of like multi-plane animation thing with levels of depth on different panes of glass in a deep frame. Just a thought. Love your work :)

wow that just blew my mind!

L

Love these new paintings. Really like the direction you are going lately.

And the 3-D idea is awesome. Pursue it!

save your energy,Dawn!
i'll send you some blotter!
WAAAAAAAAAAAY 3-D!

Ok...got an additional idea to add.
What if you also add a tube light to illuminate the sky? (this idea would probably look best if the sky was painted as evening 'magic hour' look and the light was gel'd blue).
It would then look like the glow was low in the sky as it is at dusk. (this would also place the foreground in silhoutte when the ambient room light was low or off). Might look cool.
Sorry, just fun to brainstorm. :)

[ Edited by: Mr. Pupu Pants 2009-05-06 02:16 ]

Dawn, I sure hope I didn't offend with all this 'input'. I love your stuff--I just thought - "hey, they look 3-D, what if they were 3-D?). Stopping talking in 3....2...1...

Pupu yur silly! I LIKE IT! and spank you very much!

Ain't that the way the early animators would create distance in a scene?
They would paint the landscape on panes of glass and by moving them closer and farther away would get the proper illusion of distance....
You should try it Dawnee!

POLYNESIQUE these are my 3 paintings for The harold Golen Fine Art show for Hukilau.
POLYNESIQUE

10" x 30" watercolor and ink on hot-press board
POLYNESIQUE snapshot

10" x 15" watercolor and ink on hot-press board
POLYNESIQUE MOTOR INN

10" x 15" watercolor and ink on hot-press board

and hers the before and after of the frames I just finished making

scavenged lumber from my hood.

magically transformed into custom frames

I found this huge pile of wood in an ally a few blocks from my house I've already taken 3 truckloads of cedar fence boards and found these small beveled edge pieces that seemed perfect frame stock. Since they are weathered the grain is raised a bit. So with a little scraping and sanding I ran them through the table saw, mitered the corners, clampled them with my super cool vintage industrial STANLEY frame clamps, nailed them together with my new compressor and nail gun, and hit them with primer and high gloss black.
these are gonna look sweet with the burlap covered mats I made.

https://tikicentral.com/uploads/3734/44e0b79e.jpg

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2009-05-17 21:15 ]

That is my new favorite of your works. Awwwwww yeaaaaahh. Very, very nice.

Damn Dawn! You are really going to town with the new look. I REALLY enjoy the architectural stuff you've been doing.

im bumping myself from rapidly falling down page 2. No, Its so mai tai can look at pics of jahmbi
PAGE 2! meka leka high!

_me again. I finished making a bunch of bamboo frames for Tiki joes pop, and my deck is built exce[pt for the fancy railings, so I scrubbed the crud off my desk and am in the processs of setting up the paints. new watercolors will most likely be posted in the next couple of days. ________________
https://tikicentral.com/uploads/3734/44e0b79e.jpg

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2009-06-14 08:21 ]

On 2009-06-14 08:16, Sophista-tiki wrote:
New watercolors will most likely be posted in the next couple of days.

WHOOOHOOOO!!!!!

YAWN.....

Well?

gettin a little tired of sittin here waitin....

:)

stop razzin' me dude! I have to work up to it, you know get back in the grove, feel the mojo, plus Im out of rum>

Bump!
Here Dawn!
Here's a lifetime supply of Rum in Barrels even!
Now you can keep working
AND
recycle the barrels into an A-frame or something!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 1256 replies