Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

sophista-tiki orignals Dawn Frasier

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 1,256 replies

i bet Rufus loves it!
Beautifully done!

fabric designs.
these will be boarder prints mirror image which actually makes the a-frames turn into a tapa pattern.

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2010-06-25 18:44 ]

Beautiful Dawn. Is this going to be something you will print yourself (how?) or something that will be commercially available (yes!)?

all my fabrics will be available for sale to the public just as soon as I get the proofs.
you can purchase by the yard from Spoonflower. just look for the sophista-tiki collection.

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2010-06-25 20:48 ]

YAY!

T
TikiG posted on Sat, Jun 26, 2010 8:05 AM

Double YAY!

Nice Dawn. Is this a new career possibly? Are you really Alfred Shaheen?

Thanks for posting. G

wouldn't that be Frieda Shaheen!

B

Okay - now I'm PISSED! I just dropped a bundle on fabric to make curtains for my living room and I would have RATHER dropped it on my friend! I'm gonna have to make some changes I see. VERY cool Dawn - love the new venture!

what kinda fabric did you get the fancy barkcloth?

Can't wait for fabric ....

B

On 2010-06-26 14:49, Sophista-tiki wrote:
what kinda fabric did you get the fancy barkcloth?

Well, I wouldn't call it "fancy" but 3 yards cost nearly $70 (that's a "bundle" for me!). I shorted myself on the fabric (not enough for all the bay windows) and ended up making a couple of pillows with the left overs (I made two panels for the main window). So, since I DID screw up, I won't feel too bad moving THOSE curtains to the dining room windows and making a new set with YOUR fabric! :D

pictures please! I wanna see your swanked up livingroom

B

On 2010-06-26 21:57, Sophista-tiki wrote:
pictures please! I wanna see your swanked up livingroom

See, I wanted to make this the "artists" art room - nothing TOO commercial! I have LOTS of space too!

Like these walls! That room behind the tapa is my dining room cum tiki bar. Still have to clean it out and paint, etc.

The curtains actually should be at the top of the window, but I need to put in a support of some sort for the middle of the rod because it droops a bit in the middle. These are my very first ventures into sewing curtains and pillows - so don't be too harsh! And then there's the problem with having shorted myself on fabric. Oh well, lived here 17 years and never had curtains so I'm not too freaked about it!

These three show the accent color walls (stairway and wall below stairs) - we chose a color from those Chinese plates (gifts from in-laws) - but it's a cool color anyhow! I have since painted the light cover so you don't really notice it and have painted and replaced the switch plate! By the way - my dad carved those two guys! He'd never done Tikis before so he had to use a couple of "go-bys" my sister found. I think he did a fantastic job!

Hey, I did a little "photoshopping" with the fabric design I like (one of your new ones) to see what it might look like - is this close?

"Something, something, something, Dark Side, something, something."

[ Edited by: beadtiki 2010-06-27 18:02 ]

YES thats totally it. cept they dont give you that option for printing the fabric, so its going to be a repeat ,mirror image.
you could use bamboo poles for your curtain rods, curtains and pillows look good to me!

B

Thanks. I'll eventually get around to using the bamboo poles - for now it's those cheap-o cafe rods on the outside windows and a tension rod in the middle (which is why it sags!). Thanks for the vote of confidence - it took me nearly an hour to remember how to use my sewing machine! First, what all the gadgets did, then how to put thread on a bobbin and then how to thread the machine! LOL And to think about 30 years ago I showed my mom how to use HER brand new sewing machine!

Looking forward to seeing/buying your new fabrics - I think it's so cool you can do that! It's easier than how they were doing it on Project Runway last season - some fancy computer setup that you could create your own designs - but I don't know if you could scan your own artwork into it - probably - they didn't really get that technical on the show - couldn't waste valuable back-stabbing and bitching time!

The fabric website give you links to design fabrics in illustrator type programs then upload your image. You can also just upload images from your comuter files. so you could use ANYTHING to make fabric designs. In my opinion the illustrator gernerated designs are too stiff . In order to get that old school look of vintage fabrics its better to start with actual artwork. then tweek it in a program. Im sure some digital designer would beg to differ I just happen to prefer old school.

Not nocking the computer or digital, because with out that part I wouldn't have acess to this neato fabric designing opportunity.

final versions of the aframe design in blue, green and brown

this ones new

this one I'm still playing with but its close

B

Oh oh - now I'm gonna have more choices! Yikes! Lookin' good Dawn!

the blue lair

You're on FIRE Dawn! Keep pumping out those designs

Like that one alot Dawn. Really nice composition and colors. Hope you had a great weekend! :)

Thanks Pu,
The Blue Lair, the green one I did just before it and 2 of the A-frame paintings will probably be going to the Atomic Tiki Show in Portland for this years NW Tiki Kon.
it's been explosion - o- rama around here for the last couple of days. nice couple of days hold up in my lair painting and eating Q.

finished these today.

first 3 are fabric designs. last oen is a painting thats part of the A-FRAMES AND BEACH LAIRS series

all are watercolor and ink on paper

B

Someone's been busy! Very nice! More fabric material?

Got nobody to do fun stuff with anymore so I just stay in my studio and paint and hang out with Rufus.

B

Fun stuff Dawn!!

hanging out with Rufus in the studio sounds purdy blissful to me :) make sure you put time aside to go out and have coffee.... :)

Beaach lairs in progress

Dawn.... you now officially are filled with Awesomeness!
One after the other!
You are on FUEGO!

C

You are on fuego total, Beautiful!

wow thanks I'm so glad my awesomness in now official. Was I previously on a probation?

these misty lairs are finished
Bith pieces are:
11" x 14"
watercolor on paper

B

Really like those last two. The colors are awesome!

Love the matching colors and the mood, I want to go there for vacation!

I've been watching Jonny Quest

Did you see the Family Guy where Stewie is working at the airport and he lets Johnny and his dad through but tells Haji that he's been "randomly" chosen to be inspected?! LOL And when Haji says "Sim Sim Sala Bim" Stewie tells him he might not want to talk like that during the inspection!? HA!

ha thats so wrong and exactly why I love that show.

i want a misty lair!

I think there is a song in there somewhere......

Cool fabric patterns. Kiki Von Tiki would have a blast with those.

started a new beach lair

They always start off with a one inch wash brush, I'll see how much of this painting I can get done with the big brush. its a challenge and thers no going back to fix things. with watercolor you get one chance

PROGRESS

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2010-07-15 17:04 ]

B

Too Cool for School!

watercolor on heavy cold press rag paper
11" x 15"

part of the Beach Lairs Series

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2010-07-16 09:51 ]

Very Nice...
Really like the tiki in the forground..
and the depth of the total piece!!
looking great!!

a couple new fabric designs

youcan go to SPOONFLOWR to see how the designs look as repeated patterns of yardage
http://www.spoonflower.com/profiles/sophista-tiki

You have been workin it Dawn!
Lovely and Lush...
Lalala!

thanks, working on some acrylics today less than one week to hang the next show. post pics later today if i make enough progress

new pieces in the works. I started 8 paintings acrylic on canvas 18" x 30" and I have to hang the show on Monday! absolutly NO sleep for me.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 1256 replies