Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

sophista-tiki orignals Dawn Frasier

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 1,256 replies

And the hits keep coming!

Nice work Dawn!

You are now the official queen of tiki fabric design. Love the Tiki Shields design. And the acylics are beautiful!

progress pic of acrylic for show next week

Thanks Mike and L Surfer. I'm pretty happy with the work I've produced so far this summer.

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2010-07-29 08:51 ]

finished this one

and a progress pic of the next one

done

this is going to be my new post card, Hopefully I will have them to hand out at Oasis

Dawn, all of you paintings are so magical - they transport me to great architecture and beautiful surroundings. I want to live in your paintings, maybe you can start painting me into each picture someplace :D

Save a card for me!

ha thanks Mike. I think I better start using that as my tag line. "I want to live in your painting"

I'm about to paint over these. If it works out the way i think it will. the new paintings will have this faint ghost of tapa pattern underneath.

On 2010-07-28 19:28, Sophista-tiki wrote:

Dawn, I like this amount of ghost tapa! It faded away by the finish of the painting. I reeeaaallly like how "there" it is in this pic!

thanks Bill, I loved the way that painting worked out and thats the exact look I'm going for.

working on some smaller pieces

finally got scans, more color accurate but the scans really show the texture of the canvas board. Time to gesso up all those masonite panels I just cut.

[img]https://tikicentral.com/uploads/3734/4c631ca8.jpg[/i

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2010-08-11 15:06 ]

a couple of very bigining shots, and Im about to start gesoing masonite, only took me half the summer to get this done
the last 3 canvas boards I have to use up

the first of my HUGE pile of masonite panels to paint on YAY

studio shots of the BOT anniversary group show pieces

matching vintage frames coutesy of WoofMutt stuff and junlk like that Thanks Woof

I'm really into your architectural pieces, Dawn. I'm about to crank up to do another one myself and I appreciate the super deep mood you've got cookin'.

ROBB!!! how did I miss your comment I've been all wrapped up in a new project and completely forgot to check here,
So.... thanks for looking, I'm really into the phthalos this summer. I could easily paint in those 2 colors for months.
cant wait to see your new works and I may try the broccoli texture on my current watercolor.

todays efforts

That is sooooo beeutiful! Composition and colors.... u make it look sooo easy!

Love those! Looks like you could walk right into the scene.

When I do my Dysneyesque docu-short with the scientific narrative I plan on walking the viewer from live action right into one of my paintings. while the soundtrack is playing an exotica version of the Batman theme.

Just beautiful Dawn (as always)

Nice work Dawn!

Love the lightness of these!

On 2010-10-13 09:46, Sophista-tiki wrote:
When I do my Dysneyesque docu-short with the scientific narrative I plan on walking the viewer from live action right into one of my paintings. while the soundtrack is playing an exotica version of the Batman theme.

Holy Blowfish, Batman! Heehee! that sounds fantastic. I especially love the second one. Ahhhhh....transported.

I really like your skewed perspective on the architectural pieces - wayyy better than overthinking it and losing the fun.

the skewed architecture is my favorite kind. No fancy shmancy horizon line and vanishing points. I just go for it. I usefd tohave vanishing points drawn on my desk so I could run my straight edge off the page but I must have washed them off.
Then again some of those mid century places had skewed architecture on purpose, hmmm

Dawn,
My training is in architectural drafting. Your stuff is amazing. And anything related to the Waikikian is absolutely fabulous, too. Best to you.
~kele

C

Very beautiful new ones!

Now that the Mojave Oasis event poster is offically launched I can share all the pieces that lead up to the final product. This is what ive been working on for the last couple of weeks

Those make me want to go there.

G
GROG posted on Thu, Oct 21, 2010 9:37 AM

Wow, the pieces you did for the Mojave Oasis look great! GROG like 'em all.

Dawn is a master, the print/poster is so beautiful.

The event Hosted by me and friends, is April 15-17th in the Mojave desert. What We will have for the April event and the opening of the new campsite is rent-able vintage trailers, Camping,Bring your own trailer, Lakeside Luau Saturday Night, A frames and Bar by Ben, music by Tikiyaki, Martini Kings and others. Vendors, BBQ, Swimming or relaxing, What more could you want, A fun new get together in a fun new place called Mojave Oasis

Mojave Oasis Original art by Dawn Frasier, Original mugs by Babalu/Squid, shot glasses by Doug Horne and Tiki Farm. Other surprises too! I will post more in the California section in the next week or two.

Amy

I'm ready to pack my bags and go to the Mojave Oasis RIGHT NOW - before "Winter Storm 2010, Number 1" comes rolling through the Pacific Northwest today! Nice work Dawn. Never seen you do people before - they're GREAT!

thats because I dont do perople. my friend Carter does people and I art directed him on what I wanted then painted in their outfits.

Ive been completely art stuck for the last month. I was on a pretty good roll, when too much left brain activity squashed it for me.

SO I put the watercolors away and got the studio set up for the acrylics and am going to work on this beach lair Istarted in Aug. Maybe by the time I finish I'll be re-motivated and inspired.
Im still in the middle of the Mojave Oasis project and I've got commissions to finish.

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2010-11-29 12:08 ]

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Nov 11, 2010 3:57 PM

Nice!! Projects like this are worth the blood and tears and sweat - your home loves you for the attention your giving it.

PS - Hope you have gotten over your painter's block

update

might finish this one today if i can stary focused and not sucum to the lazys

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2010-11-14 09:19 ]

B

On 2010-11-14 09:17, Sophista-tiki wrote:
update

might finish this one today if i can stary focused and not sucum to the lazys

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2010-11-14 09:19 ]

I'm totally excited about those this one will turn out. I like that mountain in the background - will you keep it a bit hazy? It has that mysterious feel to it.

Any progress on the siding or is the weather just too crappy to do it? I would go with the crappy weather excuse - works for me regarding the yard!

Yeah Dawn! I like the colors, the blur, the dreaminess. Makes me feel like I'm under the influence. :wink:

now that you two looked AND commented I feel more motivated.
the background has ben deliberatly hazed, I want the house and the foreground tiki to realy pop. Im also digging my first attempt at a black sand beach.
heh under the influence, yea story of my life....

Ive has a couple of days where I could have drug out the compressor and nail gun to do the siding, but I was doing a total shop overhaul, EVERY thing had to be moved and reorganized. endless hours of sorting nails ans scews, and catagorizing and stacking lumber, hanging lights over the work benches, building shelves. I hung mygiant game fish in there since the ceilings are 15 ft,. and of course I hAD TO MAKE A WELL DECORATED seating area complete with 6 band rattan furniture, fake tropical foliage, and some art. I like to have the option of sitting in the middle of the power tools and projects. its calming not unlike laying on the ground under your car. I find that to be one of the most peaceful places Ive ever been.

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2010-11-14 09:52 ]

its finally starting to look like something.

Love the black sand Dawn, this is gonna be ANOTHER masterpiece!

Laying under the car is not always relaxing, like if it slips off the jack and comes hurtling down towards you. I had always hoped that my dying words would be "Father, forgive me of my sins and recieve me into Your kingdom" instead of "OH SHIT!!!!". Fortunately the car still had the wheels on and it stopped a fraction of an inch above my face. :lol:

Awesome Greenage Dawn!
This one is turning out Superb!

Mike I sort of half expect that my final words are going to be " OH SHIT"

Or the famous last redneck words - "Hey Bubba, watch this!"

B

You guys are cracking me up! LOL

I'm glad you guys pointed out the black sand beach 'cause I was totally focusing on the mountains! Nicely done Dawn.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 1256 replies