Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

sophista-tiki orignals Dawn Frasier

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 1,256 replies

stick a fork in it

Gorgeous Dawn! Love the design of that house - very swanky! Is that a building on the mountain? With a few cables and a station it could be an awesome revolving aerial tram.

B

On 2010-12-04 11:28, MadDogMike wrote:
Gorgeous Dawn! Love the design of that house - very swanky! Is that a building on the mountain? With a few cables and a station it could be an awesome revolving aerial tram.

Mike - you're sorta close with your rotating comment. Keep trying!

my version isnt exactly correct I just put it in there without reference materila. BUT next time its going to be more acurate and maybe even ornage

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2010-12-04 12:10 ]

I didn't know there were black sand beaches in Seattle!

PS is there some nutjob standing on the orange part of the roof in the picture above?!

I dodnt know there were space needles on black sand volcanic islands

It's beautiful, Dawn! I always feel so at home in the mid-century feel of your art.
(I grew up in a house that was built in 1956, the year that I was born.)
~kele

thanks. got any good pics of that 1956 house? did it have great architectural features?

Nice work Dawn!

Dawn, the house had some great features. My parents designed it themselves & were big fans of Frank Lloyd Wright (something that I've definitely inherited). I had to sell the house 3 years ago to pay off my parent's debts (not a happy time in my life.) I have some pics scanned, I'll look for them & for more. & there are some wonderful Christmas pics with the aluminum Christmas tree too!
~kele

FLW one of my favs too. although I think all his bedrooms were designed too small. During our recent cold snap here in Seattle I came up with my ultimate floor plan, Wright inspired mid century 2 pass through fireplaces for 2 artists. Im working on a painting of it now.

I can't wait to see it!
~kele

next.
progress shots of 3 of the 7 new pieces started this week.

goin OFF!

you got the touch,girl!

There's that pesky Space Needle again! And an Orca! :D

hahahaha thats NOT an Orca!

:lol: Ooops, that's inland not ocean! I thought it was a whale fluke :lol:

finished and posted for sale in marketplace

B

On 2010-12-07 10:39, MadDogMike wrote:
There's that pesky Space Needle again! And an Orca! :D

Well I thought it was an Orca tail too! Must be the beginnings of an ultra-mod home on the beach!

Nice work Dawn!

Adding the space needle is cool and I can because I actually live in Seattle. Its an iconic mid century structure and having it randomly appear where it shouldn't be is fun
Purposely putting an ORCA in one of my paintings just turns the whole thing into some bad tourist art you'd find at the market. Far to CLICHE for me .

so if we don't live in Seattle,we can't draw or paint the space needle?!?!?!
that is so unfair....
Great new batch there,Dawn!
Can you do a couple of pieces in Oranges,reds,purples...
or those new pantones?
:)

4 more months,toots!
:)

nope cant do the space needle. sorry Im the only officially sactioned Space Needle in monchromatic -tiki- beach lair - mid century fantasy- architecture artists.

I cant do those new "in colors" Im going out on a limb and sticking with last years colors. Pantone is not going to tell me what colors to use , Color dictators! actually I think my Pantone book is about 11 yrs old so I'm waaay out of date.

Pantone?

Hah!

Hexachrome?

The heck with machine/printers' colors, I like studying the Old Masters' palettes - those guys did some magical stuff that has to be seen in person to appreciate.

YEA COLOR FREEDOM!

almost done, just have to fill in the foliage and add some highlights. oh so hackishly colorful!( saracsm)

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Dec 16, 2010 5:36 PM

I likey this one mighty fine...the color feel is gorgeous! G

thansk G, I was just thinking that I would especially love a blanky fort in these colors!

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Dec 16, 2010 5:43 PM

:lol:

Dawn, the painting process fascinates me so I decided to give your painting the "Hack Test" - I copied it, converted it to greyscale and compared the grey and color side-by-side. Without the "OOOOH! Pretty colors!" distraction, I was able to see more details but I still prefer the lusciously colored version.

Verdict: you are a gifted artist and not a hack (as if my opinion had great influence :lol: )

HAHAHAHA I love the Hack Test thats brilliant!

dawn i love your work

thank you

part of my new series called BLUE MOON
Im seeing how many pieces I can paint only using Phthalo turquois with black and white

the small pieces are 5"x 5" and will be my christmas gifts this yr.

like.

a lot.

I like the one in the bottom right corner the best, I'm calling it "Tiki and Nude in Blue Fog" :lol:

Beautiful again Dawn

Dawn,
You rock...

and your paintings are pretty spiffy too!

S
T

L

Dawn I havent stopped by your thread in far too long..these are all so beautiful!

I love where your painting skills have taken you and cant wait to see more. Looks like i need to check in on your thread more often!

B

Beautiful. Love the misty feeling they evoke. Calming and serene - perfect for this time of year!

3 new pieces,
each one is 9"x12" acrylic on masonite, $250 each framed and shipped

SOLD

SOLD

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2011-01-11 22:11 ]

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2011-01-12 13:19 ]

They are beautiful, Dawn. Thank you so much for sharing them. Given my economic circumstances (I was laid off from my job in April 2010) there is no way I could afford them, but I really enjoy looking at them anyway. And I love the resemblance to the Waikikian Hotel Lobby building.
~kele

Love those Dawn!!

thanks
Ive been working on fabric design this week. Im still in the middle of making the repeat patterns and different color ways
http://www.spoonflower.com/fabric/443928

over 100 fabrics , 8 collections, still going

http://www.spoonflower.com/fabric/451472
so when I post the link on on facebook it gives you the image of the fabric design, Im just testing to see if it works here. I can not save the pic of the repeat pattern , spoonflower wont let me, I think its a copyritye issue eventhough its MY design.

Is this what you're looking for Dawn?

Very nice Gope fabric.

The way to post the picture is right click on the spoonflower image, save it to your computer, convert the png file to a jpg file (you can use any of several graphics programs or an online site like lunapic.com), then upload it to TC and post the pic.

It's a pain in the butt, but for your art it's worth it!!! :D

yea, thats it thanks, I know how to save a picture to my computer, what Im saying is that when I right click on the image on spoonflower I am not getting a save or save as choice, dont know why, it will let me only save the thumbnails and when I post those everyone complains about not being able to see the repeats

but YOU could save the repeats. me thinks spoonflower has some site glitches. I just sumbitted a list of image and edit issues that are not working for them to trouble shoot.

what I meant to say was , its interesting that you were able to save them from your computer.

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2011-02-04 15:07 ]

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2011-02-04 15:21 ]

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2011-02-04 17:25 ]

really wonderful stuff!

Check out the new Mojave Oasis fabric by Dawn.

http://www.spoonflower.com/fabric/452526

Amy

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 1256 replies